Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New 10 Second Impressions from RPG411 site!!! "Don't bother. Really"

2»

Comments

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

This is actually worse than the Ed Zitron piece.

To the reviewer: one needs to be smarter than the game one is attempting to review.  If I were a "professional" game reviewer, I don't know if I'd admit that I couldn't figure out the controls to a game, especially when they are not that foreign to computer gaming to begin with (similar to FPS games).  Indeed, the controls are necessarily different from a tab-targeting game, but when logging in with a new account, the game tells you how to get to the in-game guides in which the controls are explained.

This is yet another indicator of a problem with reviews in general.  If a reviewer isn't familiar with a style of game, or doesn't like a particular style of game, the review will often not be accurate.  One minute in game to give an accurate review.  Not likely.

My review of the review: "Don't bother.  Really."

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Well this reinforces my plan to give the trial a go once Dawn hits.

If an idiot like this dislikes it then chances are halfway decent that there's something like-able.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

Originally posted by Rohn

This is actually worse than the Ed Zitron piece.

To the reviewer: one needs to be smarter than the game one is attempting to review.  If I were a "professional" game reviewer, I don't know if I'd admit that I couldn't figure out the controls to a game, especially when they are not that foreign to computer gaming to begin with (similar to FPS games).  Indeed, the controls are necessarily different from a tab-targeting game, but when logging in with a new account, the game tells you how to get to the in-game guides in which the controls are explained.

This is yet another indicator of a problem with reviews in general.  If a reviewer isn't familiar with a style of game, or doesn't like a particular style of game, the review will often not be accurate.  One minute in game to give an accurate review.  Not likely.

My review of the review: "Don't bother.  Really."

So.. where would you rank a site that just gives a "score" for a game with no details about why it was scored that way?

To me, this "10 Second Impression" is obviously inferior to a thorough 30 day review, but it's also superior to some site that just assigns a seemingly random number score to a game with no explanation at all.  At least in this case you can read the reasons for her opinion and have grounds to agree or disagree with her.  

Would you not agree?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

So.. where would you rank a site that just gives a "score" for a game with no details about why it was scored that way?

To me, this "10 Second Impression" is obviously inferior to a thorough 30 day review, but it's also superior to some site that just assigns a seemingly random number score to a game with no explanation at all.  At least in this case you can read the reasons for her opinion and have grounds to agree or disagree with her.  

Would you not agree?

With this site I know the guy stuck his thumb deep into his own ass and smeared the contents of that all over his own wall and whatever number it looked like is the one he went with.

With a site that doesn't give an explanation I can still hope that there might be some intelligence somewhere.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

i think you are taking it way to far here in terms of hacking, half of my guild ( AQ) pvp whilst running fraps, we pvp probably more than any other guild regularly and with every other guild. We have seen hackers and due to us recording constantly with fraps during pvp fights we have had them banned. But in all honesty it is a rarity and quite easy to spot.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

I beta tested this game because i preordered it thinking it was going to be the ultimate sandbox experience unlike darkfall turned out to be.

boy was i wrong.  the game was so damn buggy throughout the entire beta process all the way up to launch.  combat barely worked, and the world was completely empty of npcs to kill besides townies and random furries.  Thieving was the only exciting thing to do in the game and they removed it just before launch. 

and lets not forget the poor bastards who preordered and got our "Game" shipped to us thought we were going to get a badass metal case embossed with the logo and disc inside.  It turned out to be cheap cheap aluminum that the majority of them were dented and all fucked up.  The case was as thin as a bluray case because it fuckin was! and inside was a single blank untitled disc with a version of the game that had been outdated for months.  So if you try to install it to play it wouldnt fucking work!!!

then they said they would ship us the up to date version at launch, im still fucking waiting!!!!

i put up with all their shit all the way to launch to not have anyway to actually even play, and they didnt even give me my free 30 days at launch.  I checked my account, contacted them, and heard nothing back so i just moved on to another game.

Mortal Online is the biggest failure in mmo history, it makes vanguard, aoc, and all the other pos launches look stellar!

also, i found the cave that they showed off in the beta videos that had the dragon chained up at the end of it, Guess what was inside? NOTHING! i went all the way to the end of it, took forever and there was 0 living creatures.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

Seems to be a better "review" than the one rivaling WoW, that had no actual review and listed even games that were not released yet. "Don't bother, really" is a good tip, though.

Originally posted by gobla

Would you not agree?

With this site I know the guy stuck his thumb deep into his own ass and smeared the contents of that all over his own wall and whatever number it looked like is the one he went with.

With a site that doesn't give an explanation I can still hope that there might be some intelligence somewhere.

That is exactly the point.  At least you can argue with the review.. because the author gave the reasons behind it.  You may think it's crap.. but you cna look and state WHY it's crap.   Obviously that is better than just a random number "score" with no text or reasoning behind it.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

That is exactly the point.  At least you can argue with the review.. because the author gave the reasons behind it.  You may think it's crap.. but you cna look and state WHY it's crap.   Obviously that is better than just a random number "score" with no text or reasoning behind it.

That's true.

Still I tend to completely ignore scores without reasoning.

This score I don't ignore, I actively think it's stupid.

So reviews without explanations don't get any plusses or minusses in my book really. I don't even consider them reviews. They're just random numbers. If I want to see random numbers I'll faceroll my keyboard while my calculator is open.

Bad reviews actually do get minusses. To me it shows that the reviewer isn't smart enough to make reviews.

So I'd say that objectively this is better. But subjectively this is far worse.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

While this review does give an interesting overview on what experince a completely new player may have in MO, to be honest, I would question her competence to review games, if she expected to run around by "click to move" system.. none uses that crap anymore.

Originally posted by Toferio

While this review does give an interesting overview on what experince a completely new player may have in MO, to be honest, I would question her competence to review games, if she expected to run around by "click to move" system.. none uses that crap anymore.

Yeah I agree.. but again, at least she gave us the info in her review so that we can actually make that determination!

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

It's like movie reviewer sitting down for 5 minutes, then leaving and writing "The comedy is awful, I left after five minutes because there just wasnt anything funny going on!"

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by kishe

It's like movie reviewer sitting down for 5 minutes, then leaving and writing "The comedy is awful, I left after five minutes because there just wasnt anything funny going on!"

Absolutely.  It certainly illustrates how unfair and incompetent reviewers can be, and why a lot of reviews are of questionable worth.  I still believe that the only real way for a person to judge a game is to try it personally.

As for this review, by only giving it literally a few minutes of time, I can only say that I'd be embarrassed to have my name attached to it.  Patti Lewis has demonstrated here that she no credibility as a reviewer, in my opinion.  That's not just because I play MO - my opinion would be the same with this type of review for any game.

MO is a bit different from other games, but it's not THAT hard to figure out.  Good lord, I hope she never tries EvE.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Originally posted by Rohn

Originally posted by kishe

Absolutely.  It certainly illustrates how unfair and incompetent reviewers can be, and why a lot of reviews are of questionable worth.  I still believe that the only real way for a person to judge a game is to try it personally.

As for this review, by only giving it literally a few minutes of time, I can only say that I'd be embarrassed to have my name attached to it.  Patti Lewis has demonstrated here that she no credibility as a reviewer, in my opinion.  That's not just because I play MO - my opinion would be the same with this type of review for any game.

MO is a bit different from other games, but it's not THAT hard to figure out.  Good lord, I hope she never tries EvE.

It also shows unfair a review, that claims MO is as good as WoW right there in the front page by wma*randomcrap.

What kind of credibility you think his rubbish-gaming-club score has, when there wasn't even a review in the first place?

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Shady review.

If someone is going to write reviews then they should, at the very least, show a modicum of objectivity and journalistic professionalism when reviewing the game in question.

The writer comes right out and admits to immediately not liking the game, then continues to write a "review" regardless of that opinion, completely invalidating the entire review because it is so obviously biased.

These are the exact types of reviews that are paving the way for a lower standard of quality among gaming news sites that publish in-house reviews. Standards should always be raised, never lowered.

The writer (and I'm using that term very loosely) then concludes by essentially asking the readers to explain the pros about the game:

If any of you actually enjoys this game, please let me know what it is you like about it, and explain what’s so great about it that you’d actually pay for it.

Explaining the pros along with the cons is the responsibility of the reviewer, however, because this so-called reviewer only spent a few minutes on the game they have literally no information to give other than a smattering of half-hearted complaints formed from less than ten minutes of play and a personal inability to figure out the ingame interface.

Terrible excuse for a review imho, I can't believe the sites editors would allow that to be published.