Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: Give Me Monocles or Give Me Death!

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The EVE Online dev blog title was too good to pass up and features information about how exactly in-game sales of vanity items will work. CCP Zulu also indicates that the team is going to be watching PLEX prices very closely to maintain the economic balance.

My PLEX prices!

If you're concerned at this point that this will in some way impact PLEX prices then we're ahead of you there. We'll be monitoring the PLEX market extremely closely and making sure certain equilibrium is maintained in pricing. We have various tools to ensure that, but the most important one is keeping Aurum as a separate currency with set conversion from PLEX.

So this thing is vanity items only?

Yes. We will start out with a rather limited number of items initially, carefully measuring the demand and how it impacts the economy. As time progresses, we'll gradually introduce new items and revise our strategy. We've also discussed this issue in depth with the Council of Stellar Management and will both consult with them and keep them up to date every step of the way.

Read more on the EVE Online blog.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855

all because of a celestial steed....where are the days where you could find a vanity or craft a vanity item and sell it?   ;)

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Saw this coming the moment I heard they were adding an ingame store function... good thing I read about that a few days ago, otherwise I would have picked up the game because it was onsale on steam.

I just prefer my games be play to achieve, fluff included.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Ceridith

Saw this coming the moment I heard they were adding an ingame store function... good thing I read about that a few days ago, otherwise I would have picked up the game because it was onsale on steam.

What you just said and what is actually happening dosen't exactly coincide. You can still get these things in-game, they're being handled similar to how they handle plex, they will be transferable between players.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• NeikoNeiko Member UncommonPosts: 626

They had to make a more than simple way to pay for it <_<... Buy plex, then turn it into the new cash to buy an item. Why not just buy the cash? =/

• chiksochikso Member Posts: 150

Well good for you but I'm not willing to limit my selection of games to only a handful no matter how "evil" or "corrupted" this appears to be. And funnily enough, I bought this one on steam when it was on sale for 5 euros. Besides, I'm sure you will be able to gain these items without paying anything much like the subscription.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

What a stupid fucking thing to do. I have an enormous amount of respect for CCP, but this makes me question whether or not I will continue to pay a sub. No wait, I'm not questioning anything. It also makes me think that WOD will follow the same route.

When a game charges a subscription fee, it should include all of the content regardless of the level of "fluff". How many games have I seen that start out with selling items that do not affect gameplay, that end up (yup, you guessed it) selling items that do affect gameplay. However, it would seem that many mmo gamers have an extreme allergy to foresight, and are incapable of understanding where all of this will lead.

I had a wonderful experience in the almost 6 years that I played EVE Online, and nothing can ever change that. But, I will never support any studio that pulls this kind of bullshit. Very sad day for CCP.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• ZoobiZoobi Member UncommonPosts: 115

Originally posted by Cecropia 

How many games have I seen that start out with selling items that do not affect gameplay, that end up (yup, you guessed it) selling items that do affect gameplay.

If you think the ability to trade real money for in-game money in eve has no affect on gameplay, then ...

errr

uhm

I dunno what to say.

-edit- grammer

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

This is the slippery slope that too many mmo's are sliding down. Devs need to nip it in the bud now and stop gravitating towards pay-to-win store bought items. The RL economy is crud enough without greedy devs sucking gamer's wallets dry. 

Originally posted by Malickie

What you just said and what is actually happening dosen't exactly coincide. You can still get these things in-game, they're being handled similar to how they handle plex, they will be transferable between players.

How so?

it's still pay to achieve. Someone still has to open their wallet have the item created on the spot for them, which they can then trade for ISK.

Sure you can trade isk to another player who purchases the item, but that other player did nothing ingame to earn those ISK, so that other player is achieving ISK for doing absolutely nothing deserving of it in the game.

It's pretty much the same for PLEX when I think about it. Well I feel like a tool for defending CCP with regards to PLEX. Turns out CCP is apparently just as capable as falling into the RMT pit as every other developer seems to be when they start going down that road.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Originally posted by Zoobi

How many games have I seen that start out with selling items that do not affect gameplay, that end up (yup, you guessed it) selling items that do affect gameplay. 

If you think the ability to trade real money for in-game money in eve has no affect on gameplay, then ...

errr

uhm

I dunno what to say.

-edit- grammer

When you're done stuttering, I'll let you know that I never supported Plex. This however, is even worse than that, and it's enough for me to say adios.

The floodgate is now open.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• FolbyOrbFolbyOrb Member UncommonPosts: 357

Man, I was really beginning to enjoy this game, too.

First, easier access to agents. Now a cash shop added to a sub game. Where have I seen this before?

Playing | GW2
    Wanting | Pantheon
    Watching | Crowfall
    Retired | WAR, Cabal, MO, CO, SHK, WoW, FFXIV: ARR

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

Who can blame them ? The biggest potential profit you can reach is selling virtual goods.

One time production cost. Endless resell without any further production costs.Scrooge McDuck's imagination of heaven.

Originally posted by Anthur

Who can blame them ? The biggest potential profit you can reach is selling virtual goods.

One time production cost. Endless resell without any further production costs.Scrooge McDuck's imagination of heaven.

It's also one of the best ways to destroy your customer base if and when they wake up and realize the scheme.

• ShinseiYamaShinseiYama Member UncommonPosts: 40

You guys need to stop whining and saying you will quit, fine quit no one cares, anyway almost everyone will stay with the game, what ya doing is rageing and making ya self all that, but you are not all that.

I'm pre beta tester, and still regular player of eve, i make over 5bil a day with no problem, i have so much isk i buy all game time with it..., and i will buy anything from the shop as well, that i like.

The game is getting better and better, i'm no hardcore FAN of eve, since i play about 50+ other games at same time as well (im retired as disabled person), but i will stay with eve til the end of it.

It is not often you see Developers like CCP and Anet that realy love there game and continue developing it.

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

I will not say i will never play EVE online again but this does feel like the beginning of the end for me.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• xantrisxantris Member Posts: 38

When a game charges a subscription fee, it should include all of the content regardless of the level of "fluff". How many games have I seen that start out with selling items that do not affect gameplay, that end up (yup, you guessed it) selling items that do affect gameplay. However, it would seem that many mmo gamers have an extreme allergy to foresight, and are incapable of understanding where all of this will lead.

I'm not sure how buying/selling PLEX is any different in this respect.  Buying plex w/ real money and selling it for ISK allows you to drastically alter your gameplay in Eve.

Regardless, I understand your fluff point to an extent.  I think the real difference is whether they use the extra income to pay additional artists specifically to design fluff items (which is fine by me)... or if they pocket the extra income and assign already employed artists to work on fluff items instead of other projects that effect subscription only customers (which is not fine by me).

• Logos1326Logos1326 Member UncommonPosts: 240

seriously.. anyone willing to pay real money just so they can play dress up in Eve has serious issues imo..

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Welcome to the future of MMOs. In the old days you either got a lucky drop, or were given tasks to go out and find or make such geegaws, now you will just go to vending machine. Gee what fun.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by Neiko

They had to make a more than simple way to pay for it <_<... Buy plex, then turn it into the new cash to buy an item. Why not just buy the cash? =/

Isn't that how they are making it work?

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

This can only make them money.

• rik666rik666 Member Posts: 69

we will be posting ur "death" soon sir/miss,

shipping cost's around 3 days, and do you want to get it yourself at our store or should we send it to you?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

What I want to know from those who are against this sort of structure. Who will also not play a game that offers it. You could simply not put any money into it as an example. In which case you would only be missing out on cosmetics (at this point).

Is it because there will be people who do pay for it? Is it because you can not make these things in game? Is it because you feel they would be ripping those who pay for it off?

I understand if it's because you can't make them in game. That makes sense, I just wouldn't understand caring about how others spend their money. In a lot of these repsonses it sounds like the latter. Which just doesn't make much sense to me.

I can view it from both angles and see the reasoning in such practices as well as understand some complaints against it.

As far as the company is concerned, it would be my guess they're stretched pretty thin budget wise. Considering the number of projects they have going. Not to mention the tech they've been working with and building on.

I can understand the need to bring in extra funds. They really only have one live service don't they or are they into other trades? They've tried many times going the trial->player route with eve. Which by now they've got to be realizing that until Incarna is released they're not getting any substantial growth.

Little micro transactions can go a long way for these companies, that much is evident. So I understand the desire to test the waters with them. Maybe not so much with a project that's been years in the making, as well as received quite a bit of interest from the gaming public. It kind of hurts the allure of such an addition, if a major part of the experience is going to be based on MT and MT alone ( customization). That part I can see where it would be frustrating especially for the Tradesman out there. As for my question (s) I'm just curious and bored.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

When a game charges a subscription fee, it should include all of the content regardless of the level of "fluff". How many games have I seen that start out with selling items that do not affect gameplay, that end up (yup, you guessed it) selling items that do affect gameplay.

Can you list some of the games that started out selling items that do not affect gameplay and then ended up selling items that do affect gameplay?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

What a stupid fucking thing to do. I have an enormous amount of respect for CCP, but this makes me question whether or not I will continue to pay a sub. No wait, I'm not questioning anything. It also makes me think that WOD will follow the same route.

I had a wonderful experience in the almost 6 years that I played EVE Online, and nothing can ever change that. But, I will never support any studio that pulls this kind of bullshit. Very sad day for CCP.

You can't even provide one example to support your argument that it will lead to items that effect gameplay.  If this silly change makes you not want to play Eve, then don't, but don't come here with your ridiculous assumptions without at least providing facts.  I just don't see anything wrong with CCP selling fluff, it does not effect my gameplay one bit.  

Just tired of people whining over small inconsequential changes.

• MaggonMaggon Member UncommonPosts: 360

Obviously no one has to buy these items, neither for Real money or ISK, so just don't support if you don't like it, I can't see any reason to quit the game cos of it, and I don't believe that CCP would ever start adopting a P2W policy - that would most certainly screw their entire game up, and I am quite certain that they also know this.

Everything so far is cosmetic, and if you buy plex with ISK then you also achieved it through ingame means even if someone else paid real money with plex.

And plex as we all know make the money in EVE circulate the enviroment not inflate - though it certainly helps a person to buy either more expensive ships and mods, implants and what not, but that money stil has to circulate - and as they also said they are going to be watching plex prices so that they won't go through the roof, and "break" the economy.

I can't see any reason to why this isnt a good thing, everything they make costs a lot of money plus they are developing 2 entire different games at the same time, thats a lot of money, and creating graphical assets is absolutely something which is EXTREMELY expensive, especially if its something that is supposed to have varity.

First they need concept art which has to approved, for use, then created into a 3D model, then attached onto all the models that CCP has made, that also means they have to make sure that all the extra objects on your character such as monocles, hats, sunglasses, and other accessories fits with every single morph and doesnt screw up how it actually looks (no point having glasses on your character if they are sitting on your mouth instead of infront of your eyes yeh ?) - and of what I remember then every single model has thousands of morph targets (thats what I remember reading anyhow).

Thats a lot of time consumed, and a lot of money that they are going to be spending on a single item, and I don't think a subscription fee would be able to cover that with their current playerbase at a fast rate, when they also have to push out big updates with innovation (which also takes a long time to both plan and develop as CCP does tend to come up with new ideas on how to improve their game which you don't really see in any other mmo). At the same time this will also help them hire more people to actually work on their game which in the end would result in either bigger batch of items coming out as well as more complex and bigger expansions every 8 months.

I certainly only see this as a good thing, as its certainly not a cheap to have a game running like eve, and I am quite certain that both their server software and hardware isnt that cheap either which is also something they are upgrading quite frequently imo.