Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AoC going F2P this summer !!

kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

I think this is great news.  I re-installed a few weeks ago and have been enjoying the trial.  Now I get to enjoy a whole lot more of the game on my payment terms.

I can see a flood of people new and old downloading this for another go.

Are you going to give a whirl this summer??

Source

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/98662?utm_source=Reloading...&utm_campaign=83ed874b30-5_25_2011&utm_medium=email

Free Vs sub comparison

http://community.ageofconan.com/wsp/conan/frontend.cgi?func=publish.show&template=content&func_id=3308&table=CONTENT

Comments

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

i wonder why they decided to go f2p

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Originally posted by Wolfhammer

I think this is great news.  I re-installed a few weeks ago and have been enjoying the trial.  Now I get to enjoy a whole lot more of the game on my payment terms.

I can see a flood of people new and old downloading this for another go.

Are you going to give a whirl this summer??

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/98662?utm_source=Reloading...&utm_campaign=83ed874b30-5_25_2011&utm_medium=email

Yeah. I have been waiting for it to turn F2P so i can give it a try.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Originally posted by MMOExposed

They saw the kind  of success F2P brings DDO & LOTRO? They read the research that 70+% of US MMO players only play F2P?

• williamsmwwilliamsmw Member Posts: 5

This isn't the first game that funcom has switched over to the f2p model, they also did anarchy online.

• Heffy424Heffy424 Member UncommonPosts: 524

I shall gladly play this again now I have to look into the formula they'll use I never really like the LotRo F2P.

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

I am not a fan of F2P. I usually prefer P2P as a whole, but I think for this particular title, it's worth it at this point to bring back more players.

I'll play a F2P as long as it has a P2P (as in get everything for one price) option. :)

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Originally posted by MMOExposed

They saw the kind  of success F2P brings DDO & LOTRO? They read the research that 70+% of US MMO players only play F2P?

For the most part, I think you're correct.  I play LOTRO at the moment and think its great as F2P, and I imagine the devs are happy with the increased cash flow.  I think AoC will benefit greatly for the switch, and on the coat tails of the new movie - Genious !

• rokrowrokrow Member Posts: 66

I hope they allow freeps access to lots of content.

I tried LotRO but pretty much all the content after level 25 you have to pay for.

Or at least a way to earn enough points to buy it all, even if it's a grind.

I'm waiting for a content sale in LotRO. They happen but not often.

I also like to multibox free games.

• goingwyldegoingwylde Member Posts: 141

I'll probably come back and try it too.  If nothing else, it will help fill the gap until GW2 and TOR comes out.

• GundricGundric Member UncommonPosts: 345

I recently resubbed and the game actually runs great on my PC.  Found a good, well populated guild and have been having a lot of fun leveling my Demo to 44 so far.  I think this game going f2p is going to help bring in tons of new players.  If anything this game is a pleasant distraction until GW2 comes out.  I haven't played an MMO in almost a year because I was so fed up with the choices out there atm.  If you decide to level up look me up. I'm on the RP-PvP server Cimmeria.  Nyxeris is the main toon I'm playing right now.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I will definitely give it a go. Great gfx, interesting combat system, great quests/storyline. I guess my final answer will determine on which freemium model they choose. I have no qualms about the LOTRO model, takes a little grind but you can have access to everything for free. What more can you ask for, seriously?

• OrrionkaOrrionka Member Posts: 19

I also have been trying the free trial.

The game is much, MUCH improved from release.

Going F2P is a great idea for saving this game.

• AceundorAceundor Member Posts: 482

this is really good news - both for AoC and for Funcom as a company. 

Originally posted by BishopB:

Are a lot of the trolls just angry kids with old gaming hardware?

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

Originally posted by Meugamer

Another one bites the dust.

Free to play is the last step into oblivion (just look at D&D On line). The player base can't be kept and so it is a matter of time before the final server is shut down.

Until that time thousands of players will no doubt put money into the stuttering machine though.  And that's why F2P is offered: to put the last dimes into a dying machine.

The sad part is that I thought AoC had far more innovation than Rift. But they forgot the hardware limits on machines back in 2008. Lineage is going to have some more friends on the GY in a couple of years time.

Oh btw: I think F2P games are killing the industry too, but does it matter ?

No, it doesnt matter, because every single of your assumptions is plain wrong ;)

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

ddo got more players as ftp then they ever had as ptp so its hardly a death knell, use google before you spam bs

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i cant wait till they start the f2p model although i realize the game will only be successful as freemium depending on what they limit to free users. i saw the limitations chart and at least i wont have to spend a dime plus i have the expansion already so plenty of content for me. i just hope they dont screw the free users like soe did with eq2x

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

Originally posted by rojo6934

i cant wait till they start the f2p model although i realize the game will only be successful as freemium depending on what they limit to free users. i saw the limitations chart and at least i wont have to spend a dime plus i have the expansion already so plenty of content for me. i just hope they dont screw the free users like soe did with eq2x

Agree, completelly

Getting an items and loot that you are not able to use is plenty of annoyance.

I hope that we wont see gameplay mechanics that actually force you to use CS like on some other F2P games *cough*Allods*cough*

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• ManioxManiox Member Posts: 25

Gonna try it out myself then :)

no i

• It's already FTP. You just start the trial and after the trial runs out you start the FTP 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by neorandom

ddo got more players as ftp then they ever had as ptp so its hardly a death knell, use google before you spam bs

unfortunately they didnt stay.. so while a lot of people did try the game out.. they moved on.. its a double edged sword in a way.. going F2P will generate a lot of interest initially.. but.. not necessarily the right 'kind' of players..  when all is said and done.. the vast majority of MMO players prefer the P2P option..  ..probably why so many games are 'modeled' on WoW.. which btw.. is not the same as saying 'cloned' .. will this mean the end of AoC .. not yet.. but.. their definitely going to have to work at it harder now.. though my guess is that they'll pare it down to a 'skeleton' crew running it.. as their focus now is probably shifting more to their upcoming game.. server consolidation etc.. must be in the works. Everything imo.. points towards this game being sidelined..image

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

"...Funcom is also introducing an in-game store to the game where both free players and premium subscribers can purchase exclusive content such as weaponry and mounts..."

RIP AoC.  This will go the way as Allods and every other MMO with a cash shop.

It's a real shame, AOC could have been an amazing game.  But Funcom just could not deliver.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Already a thread on this here: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/316753/Breaking-News-Age-of-Conan-goes-Free-and-Unrated.html Make sure to check the first few couple of pages before posting any recent news. Locking this.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.