Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures: Hybrid F2P Q&A with Craig Morrison

Comments

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

Well this is good news but wish they would rethink the class selection on allowed classes. @ of them are restricted to only one race each and thats the Demo and PoM so this will limit what races are played to a point.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• kingtommyboykingtommyboy Member Posts: 543

Originally posted by Manestream

and then all the free players discover the game is not free, would have cost alot less than a monthly fee did and then vacate the game once again, however this time the monthly fee subscribers will also leave.

Shame as when i tried it i thought the game had potential, just a sever lack of players put me off, those that were in game just told you to skip all the dungeons and group quests and level as fast as possible to max level. So one was expected to bypass and miss 90% of the game alias why i left.

Now this move to me = had to go free play because its failing and we need some sort of life support (item shop), once that fails they will try to go with 1 server untill its final demise.

Someone really needs to pull that plug, not just on this one but all the ones on life support.

I don't agree. Going F2P could really work out well for AOC. If they can make their model similar to LOTRO, then I'm sure we will see an increase in active players.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    waiting for ... nothing..

• ichimarunicoichimarunico Member Posts: 210

"What type of in-game mail, chat and auction restrictions do free players have?

Free players' chat and mail is limited in the same way as in the trials. They can not use certain chat and mail options and may only send private messages (tells) to players who are their friends. The restrictions are in place to curtail spammers."

This, from the FAQ, makes this a nonstory. No one will play an MMO without it being an MMO for them. Alter or remove this, and I'd be interested in trying AoC for the first time.

• SetsunSetsun Member UncommonPosts: 286

F2p in AO is horrible, you get crushed by premium players. You can level up its true bu they have access to Perks and insanely OP gear, F2P players are a "joke" in AO.

Hopefuly things will be different here.

• rastorgrastorg Member UncommonPosts: 32

I think this is great for the game. The current player base, though small, is very dedicated, and I don't see the majority of subscribers downgrading to "free". If anything, this will generate more interest in the game and hopefully attract lots of new players. AoC won't be the typical F2P game. Like LOTRO, it is a AAA title with amazing graphics and music. The content is fun and there are lots of it, and the combat system is pretty unique for MMos.

People will have the chance to play 1-80 without spending a dime. It doesn't get any better than that. But of course, people wanting to get the most out of the game, like exploring the full content, getting the best gear, and being competitive in PVP will have to make a monetary investment. There's nothing wrong with that. MMOs are a business and companies expect to make a profit.

Anyway, I think it's a smart and logical decision by Funcom. I really enjoy the game, and hope the changes will help the game grow.

See you in Hyboria ! 

• tkobotkobo Member Posts: 465

the amount of failure here is funny as heck....

Talk about a better rat trap.Here you have a sinking ship,and the rats are convincing some people to board it for the "fun" of bailing water..........

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640

hhhm, just 4 classes for F2P model. that does not work. EQ2 started with some similar restrictions into their F2P-beta and then they recognized pretty soon, that all classes and races have at least to be available as a one time buy in the shop.

as it stands, in AoC you got 4 classes for free or you subscribe premium. nothing in the middle. correct me, if i am wrong. however, i will not play any of these 4 classes, such simple. 

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• TSWBETAROGSTSWBETAROGS Member Posts: 196

Tkobo your ignorance  speaks for it self. 

What is the problem trying a free game. LOTRO population shoot to the sky after going F2P.

The game is brilliant an no other F2P games comes close to AoC ATM.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by tkobo

the amount of failure here is funny as heck....

Talk about a better rat trap.Here you have a sinking ship,and the rats are convincing some people to board it for the "fun" of bailing water..........

Hate AoC all you like, but LotrO experienced the same thing, it went to a hybrid F2P model last year, and LotrO still didn't feel like a sinking ship to me.

Originally posted by UsulDaNeriak

hhhm, just 4 classes for F2P model. that does not work. EQ2 started with some similar restrictions into their F2P-beta and then they recognized pretty soon, that all classes and races have at least to be available as a one time buy in the shop.

as it stands, in AoC you got 4 classes for free or you subscribe premium. nothing in the middle. correct me, if i am wrong. however, i will not play any of these 4 classes, such simple. 

Well, this was what was said as well:

1) If you were/are a subscriber at any time, you have no class restrictions. From Silirrion himself, "Any users who has at any time been a subscriber, or a premium member, will have the class restrictions 'unlocked' as it were."

2) The F2P is not as limited as some think. Go read the official sources. Everything from 1-80 is open, minus a few of the instances, and the new xpack areas. However, again, all of this is "unlocked" if you are or ever where a subscription holder with that content, ei: the RotGS xpack.

So if you've been subbed to AoC any time in the past, the restrictions won't apply to you. No idea however if it's possible to unlock classes via store points though for those who've never played AoC and will pick it up as F2P.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928

Good bye Rift, Good bye FFXIV, my favorite MMO just became free. 

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,080

They need to make it so you gain points to use in the store per month with a premium account.

• tazalanchetazalanche Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by Craig Morrison

We were really the first western company to adopt this model with Anarchy Online way back in 2005, so this isn’t new ground for us.

You would think that the former Game Director for Anarchy Online would know that the "classic version" of the game went free to play in December of 2004, NOT "way back in 2005".

I think it was officially announced on December 15, 2004, but I signed up on December 24, 2004.

• SyrusSyiSyrusSyi Member Posts: 366

I think this is a wonderful move by them it will bring more players into the community which is needed and will help the game get stronger and grow

Playing: Single player games |

Awaiting: Wild Star |Blade & Soul | The Repopulation | The Elder Scrolls online | ArcheAge | Firefall | Survarium | Bless | Black Desert |

Played: Guild Wars | Diablo 3 |The War Z | Runescape |World of Warcraft |Combat Arms |Perfect World | Rift | Fiesta | DC universe online | Aion | Age of Conan |Allods | Vindictus | The Secret World | Forge | Battle of the Immortals | Global Agenda| Cabal Online | Tera |

• ClobClob Member Posts: 130

For the fun of it I read through the list of what's free and what's premium.  It doesn't entice me to play again, especially since it appears as if I couldn't use my account and characters from when I did play.  My main was a Conq and that isn't one of the just four classes playable for free.  Besides that, everything playable and partially playable is stuff that I was sooo bored with when I quit and there's no way I'm starting over.  Nope, I won't be playing AoC with this planned "free" layout.

• KillyoxKillyox Member CommonPosts: 424

When will we be able to play with F2P ?

I got my old account from 2008 with 2x 80s and some 70s and would like to try the game again after lots of fixes [and new comp] and see if its worth the time but i cant set anything in options, says account frozen - not playable.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Clob

For the fun of it I read through the list of what's free and what's premium.  It doesn't entice me to play again, especially since it appears as if I couldn't use my account and characters from when I did play.  My main was a Conq and that isn't one of the just four classes playable for free.  Besides that, everything playable and partially playable is stuff that I was sooo bored with when I quit and there's no way I'm starting over.  Nope, I won't be playing AoC with this planned "free" layout.

If you've paid and played AoC in any time in the past, then you'll have access to all the classes and 2 of your former characters, or more if you chose to unlock more char slots while playing F2P.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• KillyoxKillyox Member CommonPosts: 424

Sucks, i cant use my OLD acc [some 80s] with this so.... screw it. And here i was thinking about giving it a shot again.

• ClobClob Member Posts: 130

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Originally posted by Clob

If you've paid and played AoC in any time in the past, then you'll have access to all the classes and 2 of your former characters, or more if you chose to unlock more char slots while playing F2P.

Yep, sorry, just read Silirrion's comments to that effect.  That would help... but still don't plan on playing again as of right now.  I may get a wild hair someday if I'm really bored.  It's still installed on my computer - would need to update a buttload I suppose.

• SpandexDroidSpandexDroid Member Posts: 277

If you are picky about classes then bad news because the assassin, ranger, necro, conqueror, herald of xolti,bear shaman, dark templar  and tempest of set are not available for free players. If you like range-based classes the demonologist and priest of mitra are your only choices. Have fun. I could deal with not having access to some dungeons, but limiting most of the classes and leting you play with the most boring ones are an epic fail.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

The guy on the picture looks pretty damn cool. Reminds me of Myth. I wish they would remake a Myth.

• ArthineasArthineas Member Posts: 231

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Turbine has ruined LotRO with their F2P model (one that constantly moves towards selling more and more in game advantages and benefits exclusively in their store).

Is Funcom going to be honest about this or are they going to doubletalk through a bunch of marketing speak like Turbine does?

My bet is they will ruin their game for the hobbyist gamer and sellout to the insta-grat F2P crowd.

You think Turbine ruined Lotro with their F2P model lol?  Wow you are in the minority then.  I was a founder with Lotro and have since played it both as a free player and VIP post F2P.  Turbine has done a GREAT job with their F2P model.  As a matter of fact it is the best implemented of any company.  The only thing that comes close is their other game DDO.  The game itself has only continued to improve.

You are entitled to your own opinion, but like I said most people would disagree with you.  Hell even PC Gamer gave it their mmorpg of the year award and our own MMORPG.com gave it F2P of the year. 

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640

i just played the free trial some years ago, so i am not a former subscriber.

i say, it is a mistake, if you cant buy single classes in the shop. but perhaps they will learn it, like SoE had to learn F2P. the worst thing a fremium model can do, is enforcing you to subscribe from the very beginning. there has t be a broad offer of B2B and microtransactions in the shop, so you dont have to go premium immediately. 

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• SacrificiallSacrificiall Member Posts: 118

Originally posted by wojtekpl

When will we be able to play with F2P ?

I got my old account from 2008 with 2x 80s and some 70s and would like to try the game again after lots of fixes [and new comp] and see if its worth the time but i cant set anything in options, says account frozen - not playable.

You just log in. My account says the same on the account page.

The game is open to everyone.

• SacrificiallSacrificiall Member Posts: 118

Originally posted by wojtekpl

Sucks, i cant use my OLD acc [some 80s] with this so.... screw it. And here i was thinking about giving it a shot again.

I don't understand, why can't you?

• camil82camil82 Member UncommonPosts: 50

btw anyone know if we can download it now and trie it out?