Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Breaking News: Age of Conan goes Free and Unrated!

Comments

• SacrificiallSacrificiall Member Posts: 118

LOL How much you want to bet only the people that Pay get to see the boobies  :)

• HamrtimeHamrtime Member Posts: 200

This game is now worth the cost of the monthly subscription.

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

There are alot of old players saying that they will try the game out again when it goes f2p, but do you guys know that it has been f2p all this month for previous subscribers. Just log onto your account and redownload the game if you don't have the cd.

• Snaylor47Snaylor47 Member Posts: 962

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

I found this on Massively:

1) If you were/are a subscriber at any time, you have no class restrictions. From Silirrion himself, "Any users who has at any time been a subscriber, or a premium member, will have the class restrictions 'unlocked' as it were."

2) The F2P is not as limited as some think. Go read the official sources. Everything from 1-80 is open, minus a few of the instances, and the new xpack areas. However, again, all of this is "unlocked" if you are or ever where a subscription holder with that content, ei: the RotGS xpack.

It answered some of the questions I had about this new system.

Sounds more like EQIIx then.

I don't care about innovation I care about fun.

• LuckyDuckyLuckyDucky Member UncommonPosts: 268

For the past year or so I've been playing the game off and on as a subscriber. I have always felt the $15 a month was worth the time I spent with the game. I think AoC is a great title and unique among the other MMOs I have tried.

I don't  give a rats rear end about FtP one way or the other. I only want the game to continue pumping out quality content, expand and improve. I think the game has been progressing well of late, and I want it to continue that way. If FtP will keep the game on track with a steady flow of updates and exciting content, then great. If the new business model is best for the game then I am all for it, but that is really an unknown until Funcom trots it out and we see how it goes.

"The Pen Is Mightier Than The Demo"

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I'll be partaking in some AoC when it's free.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Originally posted by LuckyDucky

For the past year or so I've been playing the game off and on as a subscriber. I have always felt the $15 a month was worth the time I spent with the game. I think AoC is a great title and unique among the other MMOs I have tried.

I don't  give a rats rear end about FtP one way or the other. I only want the game to continue pumping out quality content, expand and improve. I think the game has been progressing well of late, and I want it to continue that way. If FtP will keep the game on track with a steady flow of updates and exciting content, then great. If the new business model is best for the game then I am all for it, but that is really an unknown until Funcom trots it out and we see how it goes.

That's just it though, the content and design aren't going to remain the same.  If the only audience they have is P2P then they can design the game for that audience.  RIFT does this.  Everything in RIFT is accessed via the subscription.  LotRO used to be like this, but now it's not. Content and items are designed with a store and microtransactions in mind.  Everything is going to change.  The pace of that change will be set by Funcom.

I really had an open mind when Turbine shifted LotRO to F2P.  I had played DDO before it's transition and I didn't mind playing Premium too much.  But even though it wasn't that bad, the game had changed.  I should have had the sense to see that LotRO would shift similarly.

The problem with the F2P model, for my gameplay experience, is that the developers remove part of what makes the game fun. Then they let you buy or rent sections of that fun back for more than I would pay $10/mo in a P2P game.  Then they offer even greater fun exclusively through their store effectively neutering the subscription model.

I do  realize things will change. The focus of development and content  have to change it seems to me. I can go with the flow if the quality of the content remains high. Even if development is geared towards microtransactions I can adapt as long as the game stays true to the Conan IP and  remains fun to play. Hopefully that is not asking too much!

I think the PtP model is on its last legs. Guild Wars 2 will be totally free from what I have heard the devs say. You buy the box and that is all there is to pay for. If  GW2  is a blockbuster hit and financial success using that payment model, it will be the final nail in the coffin for subscription MMOs

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

kind of made me laugh when i saw " sieges " unavailable for the free players.   hell its unavailable for people who payed for the game 3 years now.

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

Originally posted by DrunkWolf

kind of made me laugh when i saw " sieges " unavailable for the free players.   hell its unavailable for people who payed for the game 3 years now.

holy..

lmao

dont get me wrong i love this free to play thing for this game i think it will be a hit, but another thing that has kind of made me scratch my head is the fact that my 2 main characters in this game were ToS and Ranger and i would have to pay just to play them?  that kind of sucks....

and what about those of us who bought the game and the expansion do we get anything extra? like i cant play the content i payed for already ?

dont get me wrong i love this free to play thing for this game i think it will be a hit, but another thing that has kind of made me scratch my head is the fact that my 2 main characters in this game were ToS and Ranger and i would have to pay just to play them?  that kind of sucks....

and what about those of us who bought the game and the expansion do we get anything extra? like i cant play the content i payed for already ?

If you have an existing account and want to FtP you can play any two characters of your choice.

If you have an existing account and want to FtP you can play any two characters of your choice.

ok thats good.

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

understandable

but cant pass up the comedy gold of restricting people of a feature that has barely been fixed let alone operational since launch.

almost like they are doing their freebie customers a favor.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Saw that coming. I worry about the selling of weapons and other items in the market, though. We'll see how that works out, but that seldom if ever works well. I don't know how much more sexy they can get though, short of full frontal nudity for both men and women. There are already tits galore, and MO did frontal already so I suppose that's not far-fetched.

I'm happy for the idea of f2p models but Funcom's forays into F2P have so far been extremely limiting on the free players. Look at Anarchy Online, which should have lifted restrictions long ago. Is that game even making them money anymore? I mean, c'mon. But whatever. It's a good idea, but I'll reserve my excitement until I see just what f2p people have access to. After going back to the game briefly, it's still not something worth paying a monthly fee for. Sorry ;

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

Originally posted by Beanpuie

understandable

but cant pass up the comedy gold of restricting people of a feature that has barely been fixed let alone operational since launch.

almost like they are doing their freebie customers a favor.

haha yeah you must mean the sieges.  I remember how excited my guild was to get that tier 3 keep so we can get a battle keep. we set off to do our first siege and fight for a spot to build a real city,  i think i lost about 50 people that day from the guild because they quit the game after seeing what sieges were really like.

• BarteauxBarteaux Member Posts: 483

That's great news. I had to give up AoC due to focus on irl, and finding it hard to justify the monthly payment when I only had time for a few hours og playong per week. Looking forward to taking my ToS out for a stroll again.

"nerf rock, paper is working as intended."

- Scissors.

Head Chop

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by Barteaux

That's great news. I had to give up AoC due to focus on irl, and finding it hard to justify the monthly payment when I only had time for a few hours og playong per week. Looking forward to taking my ToS out for a stroll again.

Thinking about firing the game back up here as well. I enjoyed running around my DT quite a bit..  

• It was supposed to be a ‘WoW killer’. (I must admit.. ive played AoC too, so i know what I am talking about). But yet a another hyped MMO is broken against them. Age of Conan was probably the most hyped MMO in the last few years up to its release and while the hype helped Age of Conan to break sales records, it only lasted for a month.

Secondly Age of Conan did lose almost 9/10 of their potential subscribers. It’s not a rumor. They said as much in their reports  to investors which has been talked about in many messageboards and other news sources.

So what now. The only way Funcom can save Age of Conan is to switch to Free 2 Play and have a cash item shop. But F2P are for failed MMO´s. I am pretty sure that soon we will see in game advertising like we seen in Anarchy Online where you must read something like a Toyota adv. in order to complete a quest.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Where do you guys get your information? Lotro wasn't a failed mmo. And...Wiccana server on AoC has a healthy population right now.

Originally posted by Battlekruse

It was supposed to be a ‘WoW killer’. (I must admit.. ive played AoC too, so i know what I am talking about). But yet a another hyped MMO is broken against them. Age of Conan was probably the most hyped MMO in the last few years up to its release and while the hype helped Age of Conan to break sales records, it only lasted for a month.

Secondly Age of Conan did lose almost 9/10 of their potential subscribers. It’s not a rumor. They said as much in their reports  to investors which has been talked about in many messageboards and other news sources.

So what now. The only way Funcom can save Age of Conan is to switch to Free 2 Play and have a cash item shop. But F2P are for failed MMO´s. I am pretty sure that soon we will see in game advertising like we seen in Anarchy Online where you must read something like a Toyota adv. in order to complete a quest.

World of Warcraft is out there. It will always be out there for those who prefer playing a cartoon. WoW is a fine MMO, huge, lots of fun gameplay, but it is a cartoon.  Look at the elf and compare him to Conan. That is what art is all about. Conan is a low fantasy, largely realistic MMO.There is nothing else out there that compares to it. Playing AoC is nothing like playing WoW. They are both quest driven MMOs and that is about it. Imagine the combat AoC offers; decapitation, limb severing  going on in a game that has this realistic art style as shown by Conan on his throne. They call this game unrated for a reason. It's brutal, there is no getting around it. Then on the other hand you have all this beauty. The natural environments are stunning, mountains, rivers,  forests, birds, wildlife, fish jumping out of the streams. The towns and cities are lifted right out of Howard's stories. The production quality is top tier. Then there is the music. The music is not run of the mill video game fare. It is an award winning orchestrated score. You have to listen to it while playing  to understand how much it adds to the game.

AoC is worth a look especially now that you can play a large part of it for free. If you don't want to wait for FtP to go live there is still the totally free demo which allows you to play the starter area from level 1-20 . Plenty to do there, in fact there may be enough content to hold you over until FtP launches. It will give you a good idea of the gameplay and what AoC has to offer in general.  Also, it is a great test to see if your PC is up to the task of rendering this game. It is very demanding on PC hardware if you want to crank up the visuals.

• MegasStarMegasStar Member UncommonPosts: 16

OMFG - The AOC will be Free but The free option is nothing  because THE SIGE [most important ] you must pay if you wahnt to go on SIGE ... you must pay so you have onle few areas to explor nothing more . RED OFICIAL SITE .

Sry for my low eng

The game is allrdy dead wet this option they will delay max 1 mounth of collaps . PPL will join and get bored and leave :(

• ZoulzZoulz Member Posts: 477

Originally posted by Battlekruse

It was supposed to be a ‘WoW killer’. (I must admit.. ive played AoC too, so i know what I am talking about). But yet a another hyped MMO is broken against them. Age of Conan was probably the most hyped MMO in the last few years up to its release and while the hype helped Age of Conan to break sales records, it only lasted for a month.

World of Warcraft is out there. It will always be out there for those who prefer playing a cartoon. WoW is a fine MMO, huge, lots of fun gameplay, but it is a cartoon.  Look at the elf and compare him to Conan. That is what art is all about. Conan is a low fantasy, largely realistic MMO.There is nothing else out there that compares to it. Playing AoC is nothing like playing WoW. They are both quest driven MMOs and that is about it. Imagine the combat AoC offers; decapitation, limb severing  going on in a game that has this realistic art style as shown by Conan on his throne. They call this game unrated for a reason. It's brutal, there is no getting around it. Then on the other hand you have all this beauty. The natural environments are stunning, mountains, rivers,  forests, birds, wildlife, fish jumping out of the streams. The towns and cities are lifted right out of Howard's stories. The production quality is top tier. Then there is the music. The music is not run of the mill video game fare. It is an award winning orchestrated score. You have to listen to it while playing  to understand how much it adds to the game.

AoC is worth a look especially now that you can play a large part of it for free. If you don't want to wait for FtP to go live there is still the totally free demo which allows you to play the starter area from level 1-20 . Plenty to do there, in fact there may be enough content to hold you over until FtP launches. It will give you a good idea of the gameplay and what AoC has to offer in general.  Also, it is a great test to see if your PC is up to the task of rendering this game. It is very demanding on PC hardware if you want to crank up the visuals.

Doesn't mean much if the actual game is boring though. Visuals only go so far. To keep playing it has to be fun. It's so obvious though that they put all their focus into the visuals and forgot/ignored the gameplay.

Oh, and I disagree about Wow looking like a cartoon. They have mearly used a stylized approach for their art. It's so distinct that you can instantly tell that it's a warcraft elf. That's more powerful than going for "realism" which never really turn out great in games anyway. The warcraft world is also a brutal place, riddled with war and destruction. That's my take on it. Of course, it's art so everyone will have their own tastes. There is no right or wrong with art.

yea +1 ------------They must do somthing wet AOC to be funn [ Siges PVP ... ] They don t have much time intil GuildWars 2 will be open then will be twoo late for all Midle mmorpg .

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

How can you become more sexual/sexy yet open it up to a wider audience? I don't understand the unrated thing...

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.