Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Witcher 2. gab, gab, gab

lectrocudalectrocuda Member Posts: 604

So I think the combat in this game is somewhat strategic, and on the higher difficulty setting, extremely challenging.

I like it.

The graphic are excellent and the settings are immersive. I think the character models are missing something, but with the rest of the presentation I do think that it is forgiveable.

There is one thing about this game that brings a good question to my mind.

Cut scenes.

We have all been there. You have to go, but your in the middle of a cut scen which is telling you what is going on. You have to go, but if you skip the cutscene youll miss out on the info. You cant save until after and if you just exit then you have to start at your last save.

Also, as much as I love voice overs. The cinematic cutscene gets tiring.

What say you?

I myself prefer the short conversations, yet I do enjoy interacting with the characters.

Is there a sweet spot and did Witcher 2 go to far beyond that?

To the caterpillar it is the end of the world, to the master, it is a butterfly.

Comments

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I haven't gotten very far, but I really haven't seen many cutscenes in the Witcher that are longer that what would be considered standard for the genre.  I don't think there's anything in Witcher 2 longer than than some of the cutscenes in Xenosaga or MGS4.

• TyrxzTyrxz Member Posts: 329

I haven't played the game, but if anyone can confirm on unconfirm(?), is there a way to just skip a little part of a cutscene. Like in Dragon Age: Origins. That would be great to have in all RPGs. Really handy when there is a dull part, that doesn't have much to do with the main storyline.

scribble scribble scribble

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Aint got too far myself but i think its awesome and the video bits just add to it :)

• lectrocudalectrocuda Member Posts: 604

maybe my perception was skewered last night due to having to rush away.

at least they are interesting. Im only to the kayran.

However I think my thought brings up a valid question in general and that is if there is a sweet spot, and can you over do it?

Is there a difference between playing a game and watching an animated film? Maybe Im reaching. You should all know Im a little off the sweet spot myself

To the caterpillar it is the end of the world, to the master, it is a butterfly.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by Tyrxz

I haven't played the game, but if anyone can confirm on unconfirm(?), is there a way to just skip a little part of a cutscene. Like in Dragon Age: Origins. That would be great to have in all RPGs. Really handy when there is a dull part, that doesn't have much to do with the main storyline.

Yeah you can do that.  Each line of regular dialogue can be skipped by clicking through them, and cutscenes can be skipped by holding down the right mouse button.

A lot of times, I read the subtitles before they finish talking, so I do the whole skip dialogue thing.

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

I still have to run across a cutscene that exceeds 5 minutes tbh. I don't know what 'have to go' means; if you play these games at work you should consider changing your job =) Otherwise, 5 minutes should always be within reasonable tolerance. Even if you're a teenager and mom's calling 5 minutes are always ok, I guess.

And yes, there's a sweet spot. As long as a dialogue needs to appear authentic and well-told. For me, this could be 20 minutes. Or 30 seconds, as long as I don't have a Star Trek Online moment: "Captain, there are Romulan ships decloaking. They are powering up disruptors. Recommend we open fire, Sir - Destroy 5 Romulan squadrons 0/5"

If any single player game ever pulls a STO on me, I'll fire it into the corner. Hard.

M

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

I have high end pc, but dont see any special graphics there ok but nothing special and immersive not realy with such limited world where you have so many invisble barriers small areas with little freedom empty houses with nobody im them. And when you many times come to some places and be forced into battles you have eather limited controll or stupid button bash my view of immersion is drop to ultimated low.

Only good thing is luckly i dont have need steam(evil) or internet to playthis solo game, so maybe one day ill try play it when im bored.

• RakaraiRakarai Member UncommonPosts: 114

Originally posted by Groovydutch

I have high end pc, but dont see any special graphics there ok but nothing special and immersive not realy with such limited world where you have so many invisble barriers small areas with little freedom empty houses with nobody im them. And when you many times come to some places and be forced into battles you have eather limited controll or stupid button bash my view of immersion is drop to ultimated low.

Only good thing is luckly i dont have need steam(evil) or internet to playthis solo game, so maybe one day ill try play it when im bored.

So what you're saying is you expected an rpg to be a sandbox mmo? I'm not following, and as far as  combat, you can't button mash to win on hard, its a game of tactics not charging in and clicking like a mad man.  And where is limited control from, I have no problem moving/dodging/flanking/useing traps etc with just a keyboard and mouse, so clearly you just suck at computer games.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

you can click through the cutscenes, while not ideal it makes them go faster

• lectrocudalectrocuda Member Posts: 604

Originally posted by DJJazzy

but you will lose lots of info.

• ItilosItilos Member CommonPosts: 39

I personally love the cutscenes, as I think it adds to the setting and the storyline. I would think that in an RPG this is what you would want. But eh, to each his own.

If you really hate them, as said before, just skip 'em.

Played: EQ1, EQ2, WoW, WAR, EVE, LotRO, AoC, RoM, FoM, CoX, PotBS, GW, SWG, VG, PS, and others.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by lectrocuda

Originally posted by DJJazzy

but you will lose lots of info.

Um yeah you will. But that is what you want if you do so anyway, so you make that choice.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Originally posted by SuperXero89

Originally posted by Tyrxz

Yeah you can do that.  Each line of regular dialogue can be skipped by clicking through them, and cutscenes can be skipped by holding down the right mouse button.

A lot of times, I read the subtitles before they finish talking, so I do the whole skip dialogue thing.

^^^^This.

Sometimes I follow the cutscenes, sometimes I read the Subs and click through. Awesome game if you can get past the difficult fighting. Well worth it.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Originally posted by lectrocuda

So I think the combat in this game is somewhat strategic, and on the higher difficulty setting, extremely challenging.

I like it.

The graphic are excellent and the settings are immersive. I think the character models are missing something, but with the rest of the presentation I do think that it is forgiveable.

There is one thing about this game that brings a good question to my mind.

Cut scenes.

We have all been there. You have to go, but your in the middle of a cut scen which is telling you what is going on. You have to go, but if you skip the cutscene youll miss out on the info. You cant save until after and if you just exit then you have to start at your last save.

Also, as much as I love voice overs. The cinematic cutscene gets tiring.

What say you?

I myself prefer the short conversations, yet I do enjoy interacting with the characters.

Is there a sweet spot and did Witcher 2 go to far beyond that?

That's funny Lectrocuda because you just tore the game up in your other post here:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/316167/Witcher-2.html

You stated, "very hard to play the game. Graphics are choppy when moving, mouse acts strange. Its a shame that they can release a game in this state and it is legal. I know its not my pc"

So which is it? You like it or not?

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Originally posted by Rakarai

Originally posted by Groovydutch

So what you're saying is you expected an rpg to be a sandbox mmo? I'm not following, and as far as  combat, you can't button mash to win on hard, its a game of tactics not charging in and clicking like a mad man.  And where is limited control from, I have no problem moving/dodging/flanking/useing traps etc with just a keyboard and mouse, so clearly you just suck at computer games.

Not realy ive np with almost all games and play all my games without any search on net for walkthroughs or any cheat or clues that can help me, ill figure out myself ingame 100% how play, almost all on highest difficulty and finish.

And becouse i dont like how the witcher 2 plays and to me feels like a console game with gameplay like no control over character and have to click fast WASD or MOUSE buttons popping up on screen or i won't progress any further, well excuse me im not playing a pc game and then force to play like on console, that dont mean i suck at games im just not a fan at all of force combat with pushing buttons i hate that, so realy dont see why you should reply like that i thought we should be trying to behave like adults not like young children right?