Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Maingear Announces 3D Laptop With 4.8GHz Processor

ZolgarZolgar Member Posts: 533

The ~8k price tag for this fully decked out laptop aside, how would this thing keep cool? I thought it would be "years" before heavy gaming on a laptop could work just as fine as heavy gaming on a desktop?

Linkage to source.

0118 999 881 999 119 725... 3

Comments

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Must come with a backpack that includes a compartment for a car battery to power it and room for a small tank of liquid nitrogen to cool it.  

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

What is a "3D" laptop, and how it is different from the classic item? Isn't technically EVERY laptop a 3D one?

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

its a joke.. not like anyone would seriously buy one...image

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

Originally posted by BTrayaL

What is a "3D" laptop, and how it is different from the classic item? Isn't technically EVERY laptop a 3D one?

All that really means is that the screen has 120hz refresh rate.

This laptop is really overkill. My Asus with an i5 and a Nvidia 360M is already worthless on battery if I even think about games or movies.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• el_muerteel_muerte Member Posts: 191

Originally posted by Zolgar

The ~8k price tag for this fully decked out laptop aside, how would this thing keep cool? I thought it would be "years" before heavy gaming on a laptop could work just as fine as heavy gaming on a desktop?

Linkage to source.

My old laptop worked as well as a desktop for gaming... Dell XPS M1730, dual GeForce 8800m GTX (1GB), 4GB RAM, Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz.  She's obsolete now, but when I got her two and a half years ago, she'd keep up with most desktops except for the stupid expensive ones.  Cost about $3000.  Battery life was about 90 minutes at low load, 30-45 at high... I considered it a portable desktop replacement rather than a laptop.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

The 3D means stereoscopic 3D with glasses, which has been a dumb gimmick since the 1950s, and will remain so for the foreseeable future.  And probably the unforeseeable future, too, except that by definition we don't know that.

If you follow the link to the Maingear site, the fastest processor they offer is the Core i7 2920XM, which has a stock clock speed of 2.5 GHz.  They require that processor in order to overclock it, and while they say they'll overclock it, they don't promise anything about 4.8 GHz.  If it has a fully unlocked multiplier, they might be able to push it to near 4 GHz without using any more power than the video card does.  Of course, that's because that comparison is to the hottest laptop video card ever.  And I mean "hottest" in the bad sense of the word.

They'd have to use a different motherboard from normal, in order to be able to feed more power to the processor.  They'd also need a strong cooling system.  But if you make the laptop thick and heavy enough and the fans noisy enough, they can more or less keep it adequately cooled.

For some halo products like this, the real point of the product is to get some publicity, from news stories and forum threads like this one.  If you hadn't previously thought of Maingear today, then you have now.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Originally posted by el_muerte

Originally posted by Zolgar

Linkage to source.

My old laptop worked as well as a desktop for gaming... Dell XPS M1730, dual GeForce 8800m GTX (1GB), 4GB RAM, Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz.  She's obsolete now, but when I got her two and a half years ago, she'd keep up with most desktops except for the stupid expensive ones.  Cost about $3000.  Battery life was about 90 minutes at low load, 30-45 at high... I considered it a portable desktop replacement rather than a laptop.

Two and a half years ago, a single desktop Radeon HD 4870 for $300 would handily crush that laptop in graphics performance.  A 3 GHz Core 2 Duo would do the same to the processor for under $200.  Building a desktop around those for $1500, including peripherals, should have been pretty easy to do.  Is that a "stupid expensive" desktop?  And if so, then what was your laptop?