Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: The #1 Reason You are Going to Play Guild Wars 2

Comments

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Originally posted by x0eclipse

Its made by ArenaNet.

definitely should have been one of the choices

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally posted by Feverfew

I'm too lazy to read everyone else's posts but....

#1 reason for me is the combat :D 

#2: 1-time payment of $50 ^^

Not to burst the bubble but there's currently no informtion on what the price will be. It could be more than 50, it could be less. 50 sounds about average but games these days frequently come with CE's that include extra stuff. Which btw, is what I'd get if it were available for GW2 <3

Anyway, I chose no monthly, but that's not entirely accurate since it's a combination of all of those things and more that I will play GW2. No other online game has EVER gotten me to care about the storyline and the only other one that got me to care about the character I was playing was CoX.

And to fight off the arguments before they start, yes that includes LOTRO, AoC and any other game you can talk about. Why there's so much love for Tolkein's universe is beyond me, I had to struggle to stay awake through those books. Admittedly it was required reading for a class so that might have been part of it, but still  *snore*. Conan's story was great in book/movie form, in game form I didn't care for it. And I don't play WoW and never will.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

As others have said, there simply cannot be just one reason to play an MMO because no matter how well the game executes that one aspect, if other aspects are lacking, the game will horrible.  For example, no matter how awesome the dynamic event system turns out, if the professions and combat turn out to be boring, even the well-done dynamic events will prove to be unfun.  

That said, while each of the factors listed are vital for the game's success, the one that I'm most excited about, the only listed feature that makes GW2 unique among other MMOs is the dynamic event system.  Blind grinding got old after several years, then along came quests.  Questing got old after several more years, then along came phasing, which made quest completion actually have a permanent impact on the world around you; now that's getting a little old, plus, it still uses the quest model.  Dynamic events are the necessary depature from and evolution to the quest system.  I have serious concerns, (I fear they'll play too similarly to rifts and invasions in rift, which ultimately devolve into endless (super easy) tab-target slaying of massive waves of mobs ), but I'm optimistic nonetheless.

• CookieTimeCookieTime Member Posts: 353

Originally posted by Nadia

my #1 reason is its an ANET game

I would buy their games even without knowing about the game

I lol'd.. and I agree. After 6 years of playing GW1, ANet didn't dissapoint even ONCE. They were always upfront and honest about everything they did. And even now, after almost 4 years since the last expansion, they're still working on the GW world, adding new maps like Embark Beach, running ingame events for holidays, managing PvP/PvE balance, and even making new mini-campaigns like Guild Wars Beyond.. all that and more without charging a cent. And that by itself really speaks volumes about ANet.

Eat me!

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by CookieTime

Originally posted by Nadia

my #1 reason is its an ANET game

I would buy their games even without knowing about the game

I lol'd.. and I agree. After 6 years of playing GW1, ANet didn't dissapoint even ONCE. They were always upfront and honest about everything they did. And even now, after almost 4 years since the last expansion, they're still working on the GW world, adding new maps like Embark Beach, running ingame events for holidays, managing PvP/PvE balance, and even making new mini-campaigns like Guild Wars Beyond.. all that and more without charging a cent. And that by itself really speaks volumes about ANet.

And they are doing that with a team of about 6-7 people.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

GW2 may even end up being worth a sub, even though it is not... so that's not my #1 reason by along shot.

• SeeDarklySeeDarkly Member UncommonPosts: 14

Kinda tricky, for me it's the generally questless approach coupled with limited skills at anyone time. I hope it's going to be easy to balance and develop...I hope there will be extreme limits on the min/maxing aspect. Would be nice for an mmo to not cater to those types, for once.

• AuzyAuzy Member UncommonPosts: 611

The real reason i love it, because it seems as if it wont be the same generic crap thats been produced for the past 6 years.

Uhh... what?

• F2PMMOF2PMMO Member UncommonPosts: 122

Dynamic events for me, though I was tempted to choose the music. Arenanet is unbeatable when it comes to the music played in their games, you can actually go to concerts to listen to these works of art been played in concert halls.

Find it interesting that dynamic events outclasses personal story almost 5 to 1 hope Arenanet has grasped that in some way, and understand where to direct their efforts and resources. Little personal story go to bed now, so that grown ups can play the real game.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by FTPMMO

Dynamic events for me, though I was tempted to choose the music. Arenanet is unbeatable when it comes to the music played in their games, you can actually go to concerts to listen to these works of art been played in concert halls.

Find it interesting that dynamic events outclasses personal story almost 5 to 1 hope Arenanet has grasped that in some way, and understand where to direct their efforts and resources. Little personal story go to bed now, so that grown ups can play the real game.

I do believe ArenaNet has already made it clear that Dynamic Events are more important to them than Personal Story.

• rudbarrudbar Member Posts: 67

If i had to chose one, it would be dynamic events, but of course its the sum of all parts that matters.

Having only one thing great, doesn't persuade me to buy a game.

Played: SWG-FFXI-EQ2-Aion

Anticipated in order of Hype:
    ArcheAge
    GW2
    TERA
    SWTOR

Not enough info, but looks promising:
    Blade & Soul

• VelronVelron Member Posts: 23
    Theres no option with anything to do with the much more action, position, active, etc combat system. Dunno about you guys but I'm looking forward to actively dodging, blocking, avoiding projectiles, etc

For me its some mix of everything though. WvWvW, strong PVP focus/balancing, combat system, interesting professions, etc

Voted WvWvW
  • steeler989steeler989 Member UncommonPosts: 665

I CANT DECIDE! I WANT TO CHOOSE THEM ALL!!!

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Dynamic events really set Guild Wars 2 apart from everyone else. No more quest grind. :)

• you forgot an option.

• ChimpsChimps Member Posts: 192

If i would say no monthly fee that would mean that i don't care about anything the game has to offer all i care about is how it wont cost me money per month.

So yeah there never is 1# reason to why you play a game there is at least 3-4.

My reasons.

No monthly fee

The graphics art

The gameplay

The professions

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

No monthly fees and WvWvW are my main reasons

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by KhinRunite

I voted for Dynamic Events. I first heard it from GW2, and to my knowledge no other MMO out there has this implementation of dynamic event: where my action could cause a ripple in the pond and affect other players and the world I am in. I want to see how deep it can be implemented!

Well, other games have dynamic events but usually does that just mean that the thing scale.

GW2 is trying to kill off the old quest log that usually is full of stuff and the idea is great even if it needs to prove itself before any final judgement.

I do like the idea that you can't think "I do this later", do it now or the chance will be gone (at least until the circle turn). It also means that mobs just wont stand around and waiting for someone to show up and start killing them, hopefully will that add to the feeling of a living breathing world. :)

Of course it might also not work at all, but it sounds great in theory. :)

Actually I already can think of a few annoyances this system will bring. Since a player is given the power to change the world, there will be times that one player's action will be a hindrance for me to complete my own goal. And if, God forbid, that said player decides to eternally block me from progressing in my path there's nothing I can do; I can't stop him from ruining my quest because I CAN'T BEAT HIM UP (no open world PvP)! :(

But still, I'm willing to see how this goes.

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

dynamic events gameplay music, professions, wversusw, well everything

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

The main reason that I will play Guild Wars 2 is the first Guild Wars

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603

W v W v W

I loved DAOCs 3 way RvR and GW2 is the closest thing to that I've yet to see.

I don't think the game having no sub fee, really counts as a reason to play. Thats not why people play. Its just a bonus. 

There are plenty of free to play games out there with no Sub Fee. Why isn't everyone playing them? Because they aren't GW2 :)

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by caremuchless

I don't think the game having no sub fee, really counts as a reason to play. Thats not why people play. Its just a bonus. 

It's actually one of the main reasons I picked the original game ;) There is a difference between f2p MMOs and the B2P model of Guild Wars. The idea was to released 2 expansions per year and people would pay for that. I loved that. 2 xpacs meant tons of content (I never seen any other game add so much content in 1 year - 4 professions and 2 massive new continents) and you knew what you were getting for your money. Yet it it still came at about 8 bucks per month if you had to pay for 2 xpacs.

But after playing Guild Wars I realised I would be willing to pay for a sub. It was this good :)

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Its the reason I'm going to play. I don't care how amazing the game looks, I wouldn't bother if it had a subscription.

• guignol69guignol69 Member UncommonPosts: 72

Originally posted by romanator0

Its the reason I'm going to play. I don't care how amazing the game looks, I wouldn't bother if it had a subscription.

LoL image

Why don't you play any F2P then : you wouldn't even have to pay anything... there are a ton of good F2P and even more incoming.

How in bad faith you are image

It's just one step from the sublime to the ridiculous.
    C9 impatient awaiter

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by guignol69

Originally posted by romanator0

LoL image

Why don't you play any F2P then : you wouldn't even have to pay anything... there are a ton of good F2P and even more incoming.

How hypocritical you are...

Why would I play a F2P game that doesn't offer the quality or content that GW2 does? The only MMOs I'm interested in are GW2 and Firefall. I refuse to pay for access to a game after I already bought it and I'm not going to bother playing a game that doesn't have a good amount of quality or content.

I'm not hypocritical, I'm just not going to play a low quality game even if its free.