Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Give Vanguard a chance

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Hi everyone,

As many of you know SOE is giving 45 days free to anyone that had an account in the past.  There are about 30 some days left to hop in.  I did a population count last week and  watched it grow in numbers in the last few days.

Question :

Low player base ?

Answer :

Yes it's still somewhat low.  But now is the chance to rally, face it most mmos suck or people are burnt out from other games.  I have a good method I use to offset the low population.  I don't rely on Guilds.  I never really put much stock in Guilds in any mmo unless I'm at end game raiding.  I USE THE SOCIAL PANEL and find like minded players and classes.

Just type in the level range and class you are looking for then click search.  Then I send a tell and ask if I CAN COME AND HELP THEM WITH THERE QUEST.  Think about it.....everyone has there own agenda, don't expect people to come to you they are most likely in the middle of something.  If your a level 17 Ranger just type in 16 to 20 then search.  Now you have a list of about 15 people to ask if they need help.  Be nice, offer to help, don't be greedy or selfish.  Add them to your friends list.  Soon you will have 10 others on your friends list.  Use a low population to your advantage. Remember....Vanguard is a DUO game, others need you too even Vets !

Question :

Vanguard is broken ?

Answer :

NO....It's fixed don't let anyone tell you different.  I have a copy on my Good home PC and on my cheap $450 Laptop and it runs great.  Same with my friend and his girlfriend.  If you have a cheap Laptop just change from default " Balanced "to " high performance " and it will play fine.  Sure it will not look great but if graphics are above great game play then look for another mmo.

Bugs...Not many, I've played several months and had very few problems.  I'm not gonna go deep into it but I've found very few.  My only real grip are elevators.  Vanguard uses a lot of elevators to bring you underground, and stepping on them could cause crashes....That's my full and honest bug report.

Question :

Devs stopped working on Vanguard.  Don't expect me to pay for a game with no updates or patches, right ?

Answer :

Wrong......Vanguard is a full game.  I think the world is as big as WoW and EQ2 with all it's expansions, maybe not but close. There is content and replay value to last for years.  Many starting, middle, and end game zones that you will have to play 4x over to experience it all.

Vanguard classes are the best of any mmo.  Every class is unique, people spend months on the Trial Island just to witness what all the classes have to offer.

Question :

I don't have Vanguard. What do I do ?

Answer :

My friend got it on e-bay for $7

Question :

EQ2 is better, right ?

Answer :

Wrong...EQ2 is by far more broken. The coding is screwed up for EQ2, Worst than Vanguard it plays on some computers and not on others.

Zoning, load screens, and maps are a mess in EQ2.  Add to the fact that every paid expansion makes it even more of a mess.  Sony never integrated the expansions very well.  If your new you will not have a clue unless you do 3rd party web sites.

It's only my opinion, and others complain too, but EQ2 is not a friendly game. Vets will offer advice, answer questions but your on your own for the most part, even is the guilds that clam noob friendly.

Vanguard is soooo much more friendly.

So give Vanguard a chance.  If low population turns you off then use the SOCIAL PANEL to find others.  Make it part of the game to get to know others.  If you go into the game thinking I'll just shout for help when need, it will not work.  If you go into the game and think I'll just join a good guild, it will not work....This kind of thinking never works in ANY MMO....never did never will !

Comments

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

You lost me with your factless lies on the third 'question'. You were doing well until that point :/

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

Playing any SOE MMO until EQ:Next launches is silly.  They are all broken empty worlds.  Vanguard was great, but frankly we all moved to Rift so... see you there =)

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Denial - "Its not bad. ITS NOT! It was only because of the bad launch and SOE." image

Anger - "F*** you! Go back to WoW! We don't want you anyway." image

Bargaining - "Come on! Just try it."  image <- You are here

Depression - "If it dies, my life will end!" image

Acceptance - "Oh well... better move on." image

Only two steps to go. But you are getting there...

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819

When I logged on Halgar during primetime a week or so ago, it had 11 people on. Just logged on and... 8 people. Telon has 101. Maybe it gets a bit better during US primetime, but as a European, it seems utterly pointless to start playing Vanguard. I'll check again later tonight though.

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

Originally posted by page

Question :

EQ2 is better, right ?

Answer :

Wrong...EQ2 is by far more broken. The coding is screwed up for EQ2, Worst than Vanguard it plays on some computers and not on others.

Zoning, load screens, and maps are a mess in EQ2.  Add to the fact that every paid expansion makes it even more of a mess.  Sony never integrated the expansions very well.  If your new you will not have a clue unless you do 3rd party web sites.

It's only my opinion, and others complain too, but EQ2 is not a friendly game. Vets will offer advice, answer questions but your on your own for the most part, even is the guilds that clam noob friendly.

Pure and unadultered misinformation right there.  Well, most of the OP would fall into that category, but the last point just takes the cake.

And it is nothing we haven't seen before.  Vanguard players stooping to attempting to dupe people into believing that their broken ass failure of a game is actually worth paying money for.  Which it isn't.  I just wish SOE would shut the damn game down so we don't have to put up with these sorts of posts any more. 

A game's merits should speak for themselves, and the fact that we have people having to resort to begging and pleading for people to play Vanguard speaks volumes.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

When I quit Vg at around 3 months after launch, and came back almost two years later, I found a bunch of the same annoying bugs were still there, althought some were fixed. I can't say how it is today, but in two years they didnt fix the most outstanding bugs, so I don't know about the not bugged argument.

I can totally understand why some people love Vanguard, and had it any future in form of expansions and general development I would be playing it. Every SOE subscriber with 45 days free play who haven't tried Vanguard yet, should definately try it to see how a modern mmorpg should be, and not the crap other mmorpgs are. That beeing said, all good mmorpgs have developed over the years mostly with expansions, and that is what Vanguard lacks.. it is a great start with so many interesting ideas other games should learn from, but it is nothing more than that, and so far I don't think anyone could disagree that SOE is letting this great game die out.

Addition: Vanguard is in my opinion better than whatever mmorp launces these days, but the new games can evolve because they are not abandoned. Comparing world sizes with other games is pointless, as WoW content is cramped tight, and Vanguard content is more realisticly spaced, but as far as content goes, Vanguard doesn't have that much.

• Lunny08Lunny08 Member Posts: 120

Question :

Devs stopped working on Vanguard.  Don't expect me to pay for a game with no updates or patches, right ?

Answer :

Wrong......Vanguard is a full game.  I think the world is as big as WoW and EQ2 with all it's expansions, maybe not but close. There is content and replay value to last for years.  Many starting, middle, and end game zones that you will have to play 4x over to experience it all.

Vanguard classes are the best of any mmo.  Every class is unique, people spend months on the Trial Island just to witness what all the classes have to offer.

You didn't answer the question :/

• ArcheAgeArcheAge Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by Solude

Playing any SOE MMO until EQ:Next launches is silly.  They are all broken empty worlds.  Vanguard was great, but frankly we all moved to Rift so... see you there =)

Really and please tells us what the release date for EQ Next is?

Oh wait you haven't got a clue so in that case i would be silly to stop playing a SOE mmo when i have no idea whatsoever when EQ NEXT WILL COME OUT.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Vanguard is old school.  It took some time but it's now one of the best mmo's ever made.  It does not need updates, it's a full game complete with everything already in there.  The world is huge and full of quest.  Mob placement is just right, you don't have to fight your way across the map, you just simply get on your mount and ride to your quest and you will find your camps caves and dungeons. 

EQ2 is set up for when you reach level 21 in a 20-30 zone you can't even move until you do 10 silly simple quest next to the quest givers until your level 26, and even then you have 5 mobs chasing you every 10 seconds.  This makes exploring imposable. And makes for a crappy game. Some call this hardcore, I call it garbage.

There is nothing wrong with Vanguard other than low population. YES, this is SOE's fault.  If you ask me SOE sucks !...... HOWEVER this can be overcome easily by using the social panel to make friends. I now just created a level 9 Ranger.  I'll be leaving the starter zone probably by tonight.  I can safely guarantee I'll have at least 5 " Yes " 5 NEW friends by tomorrow night that I can play Vanguard with.

Time to get over the hate.

People bitching about no updates are full of crap.  This game has AT LEAST TWO YEARS OF PLAYABILITY  before you run out of content. SOE can't justify an expansion, It's been built with the content for at least three expansions already........I'm sure this is a blow to SOE because they are famous for making money by pumping out expansions every eight months and calling there games new !

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

I would play but my account is so secure even the new password does not work and SOE has not responded to the ticket in the past week so I kind of gave up. :(

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

I support anyone giving Vanguard another try, that is if its free for you over the next month or so. image

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

I liked VG, til I realized, there was absolutely 0 character customization, Diplomacy was fun and interesting but became a grindfest, the lack of player base takes away the fun areas, the places you need 4+.  There are far better single player RPG's out there imo.

VG had its chance and failed...

• klokwurkklokwurk Member UncommonPosts: 35

Originally posted by Shoju

Question :

EQ2 is better, right ?

Answer :

Pure and unadultered misinformation right there.  Well, most of the OP would fall into that category, but the last point just takes the cake.

And it is nothing we haven't seen before.  Vanguard players stooping to attempting to dupe people into believing that their broken ass failure of a game is actually worth paying money for.  Which it isn't.  I just wish SOE would shut the damn game down so we don't have to put up with these sorts of posts any more. 

A game's merits should speak for themselves, and the fact that we have people having to resort to begging and pleading for people to play Vanguard speaks volumes.

Sorry, but did someone make you comment here or even read this thread? Some people really do like the game and would like to see it continue and there are probably people out there who haven't tried it that would enjoy it as well. If the existence of Vanguard upsets you in some way I suggest just not reading about it. It's really not hard as there's not that much to read about it. When you say "a game's merits should speak for themselves" I totally agree and no one should pay any attention to your opinion of the game. If people are at all interested they can try the free trial and decide for themselves.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

they moved my post I had it on the main forums :(

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

they moved my post I had it on the main forums :(

Why wouldn't they?  Maybe try making a post in the LFG forums.  However, I doubt it would help at all.  The SOE label is too hard to overcome.  There isn't anyone in the last 2 generations that would touch an SOE game.  Their rep is that bad.  You might have better luck at kiddie forums and hope to dupe some new generation players into trying.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

Hi everyone,

As many of you know SOE is giving 45 days free to anyone that had an account in the past.  There are about 30 some days left to hop in.  I did a population count last week and  watched it grow in numbers in the last few days.

Question :

Low player base ?

Answer :

Yes it's still somewhat low.  But now is the chance to rally, face it most mmos suck or people are burnt out from other games.  I have a good method I use to offset the low population.  I don't rely on Guilds.  I never really put much stock in Guilds in any mmo unless I'm at end game raiding.  I USE THE SOCIAL PANEL and find like minded players and classes.

Just type in the level range and class you are looking for then click search.  Then I send a tell and ask if I CAN COME AND HELP THEM WITH THERE QUEST.  Think about it.....everyone has there own agenda, don't expect people to come to you they are most likely in the middle of something.  If your a level 17 Ranger just type in 16 to 20 then search.  Now you have a list of about 15 people to ask if they need help.  Be nice, offer to help, don't be greedy or selfish.  Add them to your friends list.  Soon you will have 10 others on your friends list.  Use a low population to your advantage. Remember....Vanguard is a DUO game, others need you too even Vets !

Question :

Vanguard is broken ?

Answer :

NO....It's fixed don't let anyone tell you different.  I have a copy on my Good home PC and on my cheap $450 Laptop and it runs great.  Same with my friend and his girlfriend.  If you have a cheap Laptop just change from default " Balanced "to " high performance " and it will play fine.  Sure it will not look great but if graphics are above great game play then look for another mmo.

Bugs...Not many, I've played several months and had very few problems.  I'm not gonna go deep into it but I've found very few.  My only real grip are elevators.  Vanguard uses a lot of elevators to bring you underground, and stepping on them could cause crashes....That's my full and honest bug report.

Question :

Answer :

Question :

I don't have Vanguard. What do I do ?

Answer :

My friend got it on e-bay for $7

Question :

EQ2 is better, right ?

Answer :

So give Vanguard a chance.  If low population turns you off then use the SOCIAL PANEL to find others.  Make it part of the game to get to know others.  If you go into the game thinking I'll just shout for help when need, it will not work.  If you go into the game and think I'll just join a good guild, it will not work....This kind of thinking never works in ANY MMO....never did never will !

it was too much of a chance back when it released and even more of a chance messing around with worst company in the genra ..SOE

i'll never trust em again ..i'll pass yet again

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

SOE doesn't support their own game.  Why should I?  I loved VG when I played it, but I refuse to invest the kind of time a MMO requires into this game when it's obvious it will never be supported and it will never be anything more than it is today.  Sony dropped the ball on this one by keeping it on the back burner. 

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

VG was given a chance when it was released. Games don't get a second chance.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Vanguard is old school.  It took some time but it's now one of the best mmo's ever made.  It does not need updates, it's a full game complete with everything already in there.  The world is huge and full of quest.  Mob placement is just right, you don't have to fight your way across the map, you just simply get on your mount and ride to your quest and you will find your camps caves and dungeons. 

EQ2 is set up for when you reach level 21 in a 20-30 zone you can't even move until you do 10 silly simple quest next to the quest givers until your level 26, and even then you have 5 mobs chasing you every 10 seconds.  This makes exploring imposable. And makes for a crappy game. Some call this hardcore, I call it garbage.

There is nothing wrong with Vanguard other than low population. YES, this is SOE's fault.  If you ask me SOE sucks !...... HOWEVER this can be overcome easily by using the social panel to make friends. I now just created a level 9 Ranger.  I'll be leaving the starter zone probably by tonight.  I can safely guarantee I'll have at least 5 " Yes " 5 NEW friends by tomorrow night that I can play Vanguard with.

Time to get over the hate.

People bitching about no updates are full of crap.  This game has AT LEAST TWO YEARS OF PLAYABILITY  before you run out of content. SOE can't justify an expansion, It's been built with the content for at least three expansions already........I'm sure this is a blow to SOE because they are famous for making money by pumping out expansions every eight months and calling there games new !

Offcourse you can play for two years in Vanguard, it all depends on how many hours you play and what you do and how you do it. For some players there are little content, and for others there are more, but from my experience with Vanguard, there is about the same content as for example WoW had at launch... however I never created ten-thousand bricks for a guildhall, I only played the adventure and diplomacy game.

Hate ? well yes some post just because they hate SOE, but I am no hater, I have loved the concepts of Vanguard from the first draft was published 10 years ago. But I played the game, and I can not see why I should be going back when nothing new is comming (read expansions). And that is the real issue, yes you can play Vanguard and probably for a long time depending on how you play it, but on my paper a mmorpg is an evolving thing.

When I invest time in a game like a mmorpg, I need to know it will not die out, and for all the good gameplay Vanguard has, it will not grow. Well offcourse if players suddenly started to support Vanguard it would be another story, but that wont happen because of the no future part .. so it is a dead lock as I see it. Only SOE can change the dead lock, but they don't beleive in the game, or more likely they let it die out because it is a competition to their other titles.

And finally Vanguard is for me the best mmorpg that has come out in 10 years, but at the time it had a chance to attract players the quality of the game was too poor. Yes it was a crappy launch, and it has taken years before the game was in a state that could qualify for a beta launch... One thing Blizzard gets right is as they always officially state, the game will be released when it is finished - But that is not SOE's style, which you will know if you played Eq and Eq2, where it was almost certain that any patch or expansion resulted in a shutdown for emergency patching within 24 hours. Newer games are not that buggy, if only these companies could produce some quality too. I think I went out of topic there over and out.

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

To be honest please do not come back to Vanguard unless community is the most imortant part of an MMO for you. I left Rift due to the community the last thing I want is Rifters coming over to Vanguard and QQ'ing for a month then leaving.

I am quite happy with 100 people on at a time and I cant wait for this free 45 days to be over so the cryers will leave.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• TrollaramaTrollarama Member Posts: 96

Look on the positive side of SOE. At least they haven't shut it down.

BTW: eu server appears to be very dead. US server appears to have a lively chat. A pity it lags from where I'm located.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Originally posted by waynejr2

VG was given a chance when it was released. Games don't get a second chance.

QFT.  Sony launches or buys games then likes to watch them slowly die.  I'm suprised matrix online still isn't up XD

For a positive discussion and maybe attracting some new players to Vanguard, it might be wise to not start out with a list of facts that range from wrong to colored. Accepting whatever problems a game has and focusing on the good part might work better for a positive atmospheare. Anyone who disagrees on something is not a hater, it is just too easy to hold your ears and say laalaalaa. Some will always try to derail the thread, but the better you start out the harder it will get for the derailers to do it.

You can read this with a positive mind or a negative.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Originally posted by Nethermancer

To be honest please do not come back to Vanguard unless community is the most imortant part of an MMO for you. I left Rift due to the community the last thing I want is Rifters coming over to Vanguard and QQ'ing for a month then leaving.

I am quite happy with 100 people on at a time and I cant wait for this free 45 days to be over so the cryers will leave.

Either you are sarcastic or trolling but if you are true what you say then this game needs to shut down and people like you are out of the loop.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

As much as I like the concept and most of the features Vanguard has (including the low population and lack of patching) I believe someone would pretty much have to pay me to play this game right now. I'm not usually so critical about things I don't know much about, but this game is old. The graphics and user interface have to be substandard. They have to be. Please convince me otherwise.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.