Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy 7

2»

Comments

• IfeedtrollsIfeedtrolls Member Posts: 122

Originally posted by darlok6666

Originally posted by Homitu

Originally posted by Ifeedtrolls

Originally posted by MysticBeast

Final Fantasy 7 is the best RPG game ever made hands down! Its also what got me into RPGs i mean u can never make another Sephiroth the ultimate villain, he was such a bad-ass! I played all FF games 1-12 and all have there own unique traits. Also Legend Of Dragoon was awsome game wish they made a prequel! Other great games were Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross had amazing graphics for its time, Venguard Bandits, Brigandine and many other games i think those were the best times for RPGs for playstation 1, then they started going in dif direction. But I would love to see a remake of some of these games especially FF series 1-9  

They went into a different direction because the advancement of computer animation. Once they could do more with graphics, they took advantage of it and down-graded the story role play part of games.

This is such a ridiculous statement it doesn't even warrant a refutation.  You assert that a company can either pay attention to graphics OR story, and because FF7 had improved graphics, the company consciously down-graded the story?  I know you don't really believe that (because it's ridiculous).  Your post was really just a more elaborate way of saying you didn't like FF7 without giving a specific reason, while simultaneously outletting blame somewhere.   

If you don't like the story of FF7 compared to previous FFs, it's for other reasons completely unrelated to the series' advancement to a machine with higher graphics potentential.  

Honestly though, storytelling techniques have advanced tremendously within video games over the past 2 decades.  It's not even a contest if you compare games like Mass Effect to FF4.  Sure, old school RPGs had solid plots, but the dialogue and scenes through which the plot was gradually revealed was as if written by a 7th grader.  Characters were universally flat and static.  Motivations were weak.  The list goes on.  You can look at just once series, like FF, and very visibly see the advancements they've made in story presentation over the years.  

Ummm, no their storytelling went down hill starting with FF7.  Character depth, character developement, real story telling have been lost over the years as companies try to dazzle their audiance with cutscenes and "oooo shiney" effects.  The older games solely relied on their story telling to enthrall their palyers.

Very few modern games hold my attention story wise unlike older games like Crono Cross, FFIV, FF VI, Legend of the Dragoon, Xenogears.  Their story by far blows any modern game out of the water.

Boom. Exactly. Did you even read my post? FF7 is my fave. game of all time. All I was trying to state is, they got more sophisticated and messed themselves up. I am not saying that Enix or Squaresoft went downhill at all in story or graphics, but advanced. FF13 has a great story, sure 12, gets kind of confusing and 10 is lovey , dove, dove. But they always have good sincere meaning.

What I was saying is , they left their foundations behind once the modren competition sunk in. In the last decade, the competition has been terrbily good, if you are going to create a story line rpg these days, you need to have a good story, graphics and interest of your player base.

I didn't mean to upset you, but you misread, my friend :) 

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

FF7 was good. Knights of the Round wsummon and follow up with a mimick: go make a sandwich and take a walk around the block while you wait for it to finish.

FF6 is my favorite of the series and Chrono Trigger is my favorite Squaresoft RPG.

I think FF7 was sort of the beginning of the end for old school rpgs. Lots of flair, tons of cut scenes and cinematics. Great game, but we lost the style and feel of 2d rpgs (2d games in general) which is kind of sad to me.

• IfeedtrollsIfeedtrolls Member Posts: 122

Originally posted by Foomerang

FF7 was good. Knights of the Round wsummon and follow up with a mimick: go make a sandwich and take a walk around the block while you wait for it to finish.

FF6 is my favorite of the series and Chrono Trigger is my favorite Squaresoft RPG.

I think FF7 was sort of the beginning of the end for old school rpgs. Lots of flair, tons of cut scenes and cinematics. Great game, but we lost the style and feel of 2d rpgs (2d games in general) which is kind of sad to me.

I totally agree, but they had to advance graphics or they would be behind. I just like the length and complexity of FF7. The side quests and idea of Materia and even the Chocobo racing and breeding.