Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A few questions before I return

rhavokrhavok Member Posts: 117

FFXI was my first MMO and it holds a special place in my gamer heart.  Although I barely scratched the surface of what the game has to offer I have very fond memories of the game.  Unfortunately, when I played it I just did not have the time to dedicate to level past my mid-30's, but I still had a blast.  That was almost 7 years ago, I have even less time now =/

After being let down with FFXIV (although there might be hope after all according to some of their updates), I thought I would check in on FFXI.

I am very close to buying the ultimate collection and returning to my favorite virtual world, however, I have a few questions before I do.

I do not mind grouping, in fact, I prefer it.  However, I don't have the time to sit around with the green ! above my head for hours on end hoping for an invite.  Are there parties forming often?  If I play something other than a War or Whm can I expect a group quickly?

I have read soloing is a little more viable now.  Is this true? Can I pop in the game for an hour and just kill a few rarabs on my own?  I guess I could do that in the past, but is it actually worth the effort now?

Hearing that groups stick to Quifim and Valkurm sort of makes me sad, does no one go to the higher places?

How is the economy?  I will be starting a brand new character with 0 gil.  Will I be able to survive? 

Lastly, are quests for various things (subjobs, air passes, etc) still in?  I would hate to think of them just being given out now.

Thanks for reading guys and thanks for any help.

Comments

• ZinefriZinefri Member Posts: 34

Unfortunately, when I played it I just did not have the time to dedicate to level past my mid-30's, but I still had a blast.  That was almost 7 years ago, I have even less time now =/

Well it's true that FFXI is loads more casual friendly than ever, but it's still takes more time for certain things and endgame events than the wow-clone MMOs. So it may still be enjoyable but you would have to be conscious of how much time you invest.

I do not mind grouping, in fact, I prefer it.  However, I don't have the time to sit around with the green ! above my head for hours on end hoping for an invite.  Are there parties forming often?  If I play something other than a War or Whm can I expect a group quickly?

This is tricky to answer, because partying just doesn't work that way anymore. It used to be you SAT idle hoping to get lucky enough to get into a full 6 man party. But not now. A party of only two people, or 3 or 4, is just fine, you'll get tons of exp. And you don't have to sit idle like a kid being picked for baseball. You can be out soloing on your own doing stuff. Given these things you won't really SEE gobs of people with LFG listed, but if you socialize and ask players your level you can probably team up. In any case the old methos of idling in town to form parties is dead, people are out doing stuff, and it's normal to assume they will meet you wherever.

I have read soloing is a little more viable now.  Is this true? Can I pop in the game for an hour and just kill a few rarabs on my own?  I guess I could do that in the past, but is it actually worth the effort now?

Yes this is very true especially with the addition of the Dancer job as a subjob. The amount of experience per mob has been raised and the span of difficulty enemies will check as easy prey has been broadened. So if you want, its a viable option to just grind weak easy prey mobs for 100-120 exp. Which is nice for less offensive jobs starting out like WHM. There have been too many overhauls for me to remember, but here's some. Signet gives you some perks now, and you don't lose TP resting. Fairies roam areas curing people who pass by and even raising dead ones. Enemies drop chests now with loot and temporary medicines to heal/buff/aid you. Mog Tablet buffs increase regen, moving speed, etc.

Hearing that groups stick to Quifim and Valkurm sort of makes me sad, does no one go to the higher places?

I haven't experienced this to be true. In fact most middlelands areas are all mostly fair game since they all have Fields of Valor. Fields of Valor is sort of like Square's version of quested experience in games like WoW. Except they ditched the pretense of "quests" with stories and its a system you just signup and get exp and points to spend on buffs etc.

How is the economy?  I will be starting a brand new character with 0 gil.  Will I be able to survive? 

The economy is fine, but it's a little empty in the middle level equipment department, maybe levels 40-60ish. It's tricky. There were shortages of low level noob gear, but this May update all auction houses have been merged which has done wonders. You shouldn't have any trouble selling your stuff now that it ties to Jueno.

The strange thing is that changes in endgame events have tilted the endgame expenses away from using tons of gil to get uber-elite gear. Most stuff is quested by Trials and hence no gil cost, which results in tons of high levels having lots of gil to slush around. So prices on staples like food, crystals, and ninja tools have increased. But this means that you noobs leveling up and selling them will get more selling now, because all the high levels dont want to do that stuff.

Lastly, are quests for various things (subjobs, air passes, etc) still in?  I would hate to think of them just being given out now.

The subjob, airship pass, missions haven't really changed it's still the same. The only real thing that's changed is all the level caps are gone from annoying things like the mission 2-3 Dragon battle, and even Chains of Promathia. So a person could solo Chains of Promathia missions a good ways up until it gets toward level 70~.

Lastly if you are starting the game this month any time before May 30th you can go get a 9th anniversary experience boost ring, which gives 9000 bonus exp at a +100% rate. They are only available once a year during the FFXI anniversary.

• IamLightningIamLightning Member Posts: 93

omg, I need that ring, been trying to get it forever, I always miss it. One question, If I buy time today say, would I only be able to play till may 31st and then on june 1 they would charge me again like they used to do? If so that is super lame..

• ZinefriZinefri Member Posts: 34

Originally posted by IamLightning

omg, I need that ring, been trying to get it forever, I always miss it. One question, If I buy time today say, would I only be able to play till may 31st and then on june 1 they would charge me again like they used to do? If so that is super lame..

It's not the usual anniversary exp bonus ring they've given out in the past. This year is a new 9th anniversary even better version you can see here:

http://www.ffxiah.com/item/11666/novennial-ring

If you start a brand new account I'm not sure, since you get the 30 free days I imagine you get charged during whichever month it runs out. If you're restarting an old account yes they still do billing the same old lame way where you're charged an entire month if you play at any time during that month. It's really dumb but they still haven't changed it.

• IamLightningIamLightning Member Posts: 93

Ah ok lame, guess I have to decide if 15$ is worth aniverserary ring and 8 days of play >.>