Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Update on Canibalism in the new DAWN expansion!!!!

2»

Comments

• Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360

It's an interesting issue with respect to allowing cannibalism in a game.  Banning the feature on moral grounds is a slippery slope.  I mean, really, we play games where homicide is the game.  Thievery is a promoted feature.

Arguing for banning cannibalism as a feature on moral grounds is a pretty weak argument.

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Originally posted by Talin

Does anyone else find it somewhat pathetic that the post from a "CEO" was riddled with spelling and grammar errors? The reference to "real life" seems out of place as well, since the context is eating one's own corpse after being killed and being respawning.

wow I really didn;t think people actually liked the cold proffesional, ignoring shoulder most companies give thier customers. way to set a new low for humanity.

My blog: image

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by Pale_Fire

It's an interesting issue with respect to allowing cannibalism in a game.  Banning the feature on moral grounds is a slippery slope.  I mean, really, we play games where homicide is the game.  Thievery is a promoted feature.

Arguing for banning cannibalism as a feature on moral grounds is a pretty weak argument.

I believe you've hit the nail on the head.

PvP, aka murder, is glorified in many of these games.  Thievery is sometimes an available mechanic in these games.  Scams are a part of these games at times (see EvE).

With the many immoral activities supported by MMOs past and present, becoming self-righteous about a game having mechanics that would support cannibalism seems disingenuous to me.

As far as I'm concerned, game mechanics in a sandbox game that allow more freedom of action for players is a good thing.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Originally posted by Rohn

PvP, aka murder, is glorified in many of these games.  Thievery is sometimes an available mechanic in these games.  Scams are a part of these games at times (see EvE).

With the many immoral activities supported by MMOs past and present, becoming self-righteous about a game having mechanics that would support cannibalism seems disingenuous to me.

As far as I'm concerned, game mechanics in a sandbox game that allow more freedom of action for players is a good thing.

I agree. More freedom for the player is what features like this provide. While it may lead to some players behaving immorally, it also provides the opportunity for the opposite to occur. Morality in a game has no meaning if its mechanics restrict you into behaving only a certain way.

Originally posted by Anubisan

Originally posted by Rohn

I agree. More freedom for the player is what features like this provide. While it may lead to some players behaving immorally, it also provides the opportunity for the opposite to occur. Morality in a game has no meaning if its mechanics restrict you into behaving only a certain way.

Really great points - I especially like your last sentence.

Threads like this have been attempting to mischaracterize this possibility in the game with Dawn.  MO is not adding some comprehensive cannibalism system or skill set to the game, or making it a major focus in the game.  It is adding a deep, rich cooking system.

The cooking system that is being added has enough depth and power to it to allow almost anything to be cooked, with a wide range of possible results.  It's deep enough to even allow human corpses to be cooked.

I'm all for a game that gives enough freedom of choice to its players to do real evil, or real good, instead of the faux good/evil choices quest-based games attempt to contrive.

In my opinion, we need games with more of this type of freedom, not less.

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

Philosophical question: if having intercourse with your clone doesn't make you gay (common knowledge), wouldn't eating your own corpse not make you a cannibal?

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Does anyone else find it somewhat pathetic that the post from a "CEO" was riddled with spelling and grammar errors? The reference to "real life" seems out of place as well, since the context is eating one's own corpse after being killed and being respawning.

being respawning?

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Originally posted by astoria

Not really, I don't think he's a native english speaker and I understood it all. Yea, real life? hahah That might be enough for a warrant to search his apartment in some places.

I agree.  I pound them for a LOT of things, but not for their English since I can't speak a second language myself.  Now the whole idea that your second corpse weighed more than your first because you ate yourself being "realistic".. well yeah.. that's something you can poke fun at :-)

DAWN is on the way folks... get outta the way because it's going to turn the industry on it's ears with several revolutionary gameplay elements.  This could very well be the death of Themepark games.

Doesn't the main game have to... you know, actually function before it can kill off themepark games?

• HipsterHipster Member Posts: 69

Originally posted by bigsmiff

being respawning?

Lol, just lol.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Originally posted by Garvon3

Doesn't the main game have to... you know, actually function before it can kill off themepark games?

The main game does function.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Wow has canabalism for Undead right?

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Lets avoid baiting one another guys, thanks!

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Last I played it didn't. There's been a little improvement but lets not get ahead of ourselves calling this the next greatest game. It has a lot of good features (lack of map is one that I love honestly) but it's still got a ways to go.

Last I played it didn't. There's been a little improvement but lets not get ahead of ourselves calling this the next greatest game. It has a lot of good features (lack of map is one that I love honestly) but it's still got a ways to go.

There's been quite a bit of improvement, and it does indeed function.  It does have room for improvement, and I think Dawn looks like it's a step in the right direction.

As far as the "greatest game" stuff, if you go back and reread, I believe you'll see you've fallen for the fake enthusiasm / overt sarcasm tactic being currently employed.

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

I wonder if I'll be able to collect player heads after Dawn patch like you could collect ears in Diablo 2?

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

Originally posted by username509

I wonder if I'll be able to collect player heads after Dawn patch like you could collect ears in Diablo 2?

From what they've said, that appears to be possible.  Would probably be a good way to collect bounties on players using the Task System.