Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why isnt this fun?

ValhalidValhalid Member UncommonPosts: 25

I have tried to play SWG several times now. Everytime I start the interface frustrates me beyond my ability to compensate. I have read the manual, tried to tweak the keys but I just cant seem to get to a comfortable layout. If anyone knows of a good site, or some clues on how to make this interface more comfortable, I would really appreciate it.

Ive played other mmorpgs, I know that your expected to go out and kill crud or roam around lost for a few days as you try to get a feel for the environment. Thats all well and good, but when a newbie critter rips half my face off and shoves it up my imaginary butt I dont think IM suppose to say thank you, heres more money lets do that again! I dont like trade skills, and it seems like this game really centers around doing boring trade skill stuff. I tried to be a scout, got a pistol and I shoot like a storm trooper, cant hit the broad side of a death star. Fine, so I get some skill as a marksman, didnt want to be a marksman, I wanted to tame a goldfish to do backflips, but fine IM a marksman. Doesnt seem to have made much of a difference. IM standing two inches away from this ball of fluff, I put the imaginary gun nozzel on the stupid things head and pull the trigger, the blast explodes out the side of my head. WHAT THE???? What?? IM totally lost, the rabbit gave me a wedgie and left me for dead. IM laying there face first in the ground, asking my dead imaginary self maybe the blasters in this game work just like the toy ones in the real world. All plastic, with a flashlight instead of a lazer beam. I start asking someone if they would like my toy gun in trade for a real gun. Well nobodies around, the NPCS keep moving around in their circles, the rabbits seem content to wait outside for some newb to come try and pet them when all of a sudden, IM dead. Some bad guy lays me out while im standing next to a storm trooper in the middle or side of town (who knows, I dont even know what planet im on). BTW nobody wanted my toy gun, apparently there arent any kids in SWG because if their were it would break some unknown child labor laws. Hey check that out, I got some email. A rebel has hacked my email account and has the nerve to ask me to 'join' his cause. Yeah right, probably wants me to meet him in some dark alley way so that he can steal my toy gun. I dont think IM gonna pay money to do that again, no sirr...... Got another email from some goobers who are out of business, apparently they lost their work license or something but they want me to run illegal aliens accross the tatoowenie border. Yeah... ok, first I get these aliens accros the border then they take my cruddy job from me, I dont think so slim. Ok so the dark side wants me, heck they'll take anyone with a pulse, even a jedi trained by a puppet in the swamp so IM thinking I might have a chance here. Then I remember that these guys got their butts kicked by teddy bears. Yeah, ok well apparently IM a newb dweeb and I aint l33t like everyone else so me and my toy gun are gonna join the darkside. Feel free to plunder or shoot our exhaust pipes, its not like were having fun missing you with our flashlight guns.

Ive played other mmorpgs, I swear I have. I can usually figure out the interfaces but I cant seem to look foward when IM running for my life from a viscious blood thirsty butterfly. BTW what is up with the butterflys all attacking me after I shoot some rock with my toy gun? Heck I thought I might have a chance against an inanimate object but noooooo the dang thing had its boyz rock my world.

IM about out of it now, ID rather play AO if thats any measurement to my level of frustration. I really want this to work though, I like star wars, but if I have to be a dirt farmer then im throwing in the towel.
Anyone anywhere have some sort of stupid idiot newb wanabe SWG beginners guide to playing SWG somwhere that doesnt involve getting eaten alive by butterflys and bunny rabbits, IM willing to read it.

Thanks in advance, and if you stoped by to poke fun at the dead guy clutching a toy gun at the feet of a harmless critter hundreds times smaller than he is, thank you as well. ::::15::

Comments

• Kash_Hero'Kash_Hero' Member Posts: 22

I really don't understand how the interface frustrates you...its simple...hell then even let you choose different styles of key maps.

If you can't get used to things in that game, especially the specifics, i wouldn't recommend continuing, the developers will upset you 20x more image

• ValhalidValhalid Member UncommonPosts: 25

I hear ya man, honestly I do. I have tried the other key setups, Ive played EQ, but whatever that configuration was it wanst EQ. I move slow, then I seem to speed up, and when I try and stop I keep running a few places. I dont get that, and how do I stop shooting my gun? IM running away from the evil mutant squirels, IM clicking on the PEACE QUIT buttons but my idiot toon wont stop shooting over his shoulder. I have even tried yelling at my monitor, maybe if I power down that might stop him from shooting? Heck I dont know, I just dont get that, I run away, and I cant seem to spin the camera around so I can see that IM about to hit a wall, or a cliff.

This interface is not standard, it might have been stolen from shadowbane, I dunno... But I can play AO, EQ, EQ2, AC, AC2, CoH, DAoC, and a garbage truck load of other not so well known MMORPGs, but this interface it puts me to shame. Heck I feel like a 2 year old trying to drive a big rig through a china shop.

BTW your post didnt help, I bet your one of those guys who stood on my corpse and spouted off obsceneties. Yeah, uh thanks man, youve totally inspired me to better myself. Now go out and link a guide!

Originally posted by Valhalid

I hear ya man, honestly I do. I have tried the other key setups, Ive played EQ, but whatever that configuration was it wanst EQ. I move slow, then I seem to speed up, and when I try and stop I keep running a few places. I dont get that, and how do I stop shooting my gun? IM running away from the evil mutant squirels, IM clicking on the PEACE QUIT buttons but my idiot toon wont stop shooting over his shoulder. I have even tried yelling at my monitor, maybe if I power down that might stop him from shooting? Heck I dont know, I just dont get that, I run away, and I cant seem to spin the camera around so I can see that IM about to hit a wall, or a cliff.
    This interface is not standard, it might have been stolen from shadowbane, I dunno... But I can play AO, EQ, EQ2, AC, AC2, CoH, DAoC, and a garbage truck load of other not so well known MMORPGs, but this interface it puts me to shame. Heck I feel like a 2 year old trying to drive a big rig through a china shop.
    BTW your post didnt help, I bet your one of those guys who stood on my corpse and spouted off obsceneties. Yeah, uh thanks man, youve totally inspired me to better myself. Now go out and link a guide!

It wasn't meant to.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

The absolute beginners guide :

Shock and Awe I  (and its 5 more articles in the series):

http://swvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Columns.Detail&id=16

(Almost) every quest, trainer, creature etc.

http://swg.allakhazam.com/

News:

http://swg.warcry.com/

Resources (and much more):

http://www.swgcraft.com/home.php

Scout Profession:

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/board?board.id=scout

(especially sticky posts at the top .. Novice Scout guide, From Novice to Master etc.)

Your starting equipment is worth spit. Talk to the green droid you have .. he gives you easy jobs and rewards you with stuff you can use, as well as cash.

You will level up VERY quickly.

To get better weapons ... open map .. CTRL-V .. right side .. click vendors .. click weapons ... activate waypoints to player vendors selling weapons .. you will want a scout blaster which you can reach after 2 level ups (60 min tops).

But best tip of all ... talk to players .. many will help you . with gear , cash etc. You will ALWAYS meet people in Coronet on Corellia (use starport to get there). Group with them and let them help you and protect you. Clone so death loses much of its edge.

Use the in game Knowledge base ... see you menu bar (usually bottom right).

To get the key map layout you want, open options CTRL-O  then click the options til you see in bottom left "Keymap" layout. Choose several well known layouts or rebind the keys to your own choices.

If all this does NOT help .. then yes, its not the game for you.

Have fun

Erillion

• NickDieselNickDiesel Member UncommonPosts: 42
    LMAO Valhalid!

• ValhalidValhalid Member UncommonPosts: 25

Thanks Erillion!

Exactly what I was look'n for.

Your starting equipment is worth spit.

There is this lounge, with large lether couches and a massive 3 storie by 2 storie screen in it. Whenever a newbie logs in, the developers rush in, grab a drink from the wet bar and leap onto the couches. Hysterical laughter quickly fills the room as an image of a man with a rugged look, and a deadly gleam in his eye fills the screen. The humor can only be seen upon their 'special' screens for they see the man as he truly is. Where he sees himself clothed in hi-tech armor, carrying a weapon of mass destruction, the developers see him decked out in nothing but his boxer shorts and wielding a 26 cent keyring flash light. The laughter intensifies as the man steps into a field filled with seemingly harmless humming birds, the mans intensions are peacefull enough as he whistles gently to the birdies. But on the screens of evil, the man has just tickled a bear's chin while wisteling into its howeling maw. As the movie ends, the developers leave the room, tears still glistening in the corner of their mirth filled eyes. The giant screen in the background shows the mangled remains of a wide eyed, once rugged individual staring up into the sky, with an obvious question left unanswered, "Why Mr. Birdie, Why???". A few chuckles and then all is still and dark again in developers forbidden domain.

Ok yeah I guess I better swap out the paper armor and flashlight for something with a bit more... Ouch to it. Thanks for the tip. Ill read up on the links as well. Thanks for everything Erillion.

• pirrgpirrg Member Posts: 1,443

Why swg isnt fun? Lets see

Graphics: Bland colors, randomly generated terrains with citys randomly dropped on it. No visable infrastructure outside the city say for the odd bridge here and there. Bland colors with about 50 shades for brown.

Quests: Non existant, the only quests youll get in this game is, go to waypoint (yes its displayed as an waypoint on your map) and kill big mud hole in the ground or big pile of straws while fending off the local fauna. There is themeparks, ive done them all, did em in a day and they were mindnumbingly boring each and every one of them.

PvP: A joke, 90% of the time youll press the same button repeatedly, the other 10% youll get ganked by some 10 year old jedi scriptkiddie.

Player interaction: How can you interact when all 80% of the server (all 20 of them, hah) are running around smashing lairs for money. The other 20% are macroing in the cantina or the med center.

Grouping: Non existant unless you think its jolly fun to smash a heap of straws and mud with 4 other people, wich really doesnt make it more fun.

There is the odd quest that is actually interesting for a minute or two, but overall this is a game that you should stay well away from. This must be the worst mmorpg out there by far.

rawr

>>>

Graphics: Bland colors, randomly generated terrains with citys randomly dropped on it.

>>>

err .. bland colors ? Has your sense of colour been impaired by the WoW bonbon colour palette ?  Nine planets, with varying landscape types and varying main colours.

Randomly generated terrain ? huh ? Terrain is fixed and only is modified by a spawned mob .. and this is only temporary. There are excellent maps available online and they show some 50-100 landmarks on each planet .. add to that player cities and harvesting machines. Plenty of variation.

Cities - as long as they are known from SW canon they are placed at the right places (e.g. on Tatooine). On other planets the devs took some creative freedom and placed them around the planet. I see no RANDOMNESS in that.

>>No visable infrastructure outside the city say for the odd bridge here and there.

Well .. there IS a desert planet, there IS a remote jungle planet etc. Sparsely populated Naboo is also like that shown in the films. I agree that on Corellia I would have expected a more urbanized landscape.

And as I said above .. every planet has about 50-100 landmarks to visit, some of them also are used in quests and themeparks.

>>>

Quests: Non existant, the only quests youll get in this game is, go to waypoint (yes its displayed as an waypoint on your map) and kill big mud hole in the ground or big pile of straws while fending off the local fauna. There is themeparks, ive done them all, did em in a day and they were mindnumbingly boring each and every one of them.

>>>

You are mixing quests with missions from the mission terminals. There ARE plenty of quests, themeparks, instanced "dungeons" and Points of interest. However, if you play SWG like a solo game you WILL have done all the hard coded quests after a few months ... and have to wait for new content, which is added from time to time. But MAYBE you missed the point of a "multiPLAYER" game .. which is to interact with others instead of playing a larger than usual solo game.

>>>>

PvP: A joke, 90% of the time youll press the same button repeatedly, the other 10% youll get ganked by some 10 year old jedi scriptkiddie.

>>>>

The good, successful PvP players all agree that PvP is much more than button pushing. However - as with all things combat in SWG - the system is massively imbalanced and there are many bugs and it needs revamping ... which is already in the works. So yes, PvP is not a good choice at the moment.

>>>

Player interaction: How can you interact when all 80% of the server (all 20 of them, hah) are running around smashing lairs for money. The other 20% are macroing in the cantina or the med center.

>>>

Spoken obviously from someone that is either in the wrong guild and/or on the wrong server. Find a better guild, city, server .... there is plenty of interaction and roleplaying for those who want it. Its all about community .. if your community sucks, find a better community .. and there ARE many such better ones out there.

>>>>>

Grouping: Non existant unless you think its jolly fun to smash a heap of straws and mud with 4 other people, wich really doesnt make it more fun.

>>>>>

Find a better guild and you can group often and with people that are fun to have around. There are literally dozens of high end boss mobs you can test your skills against .. or do the corvette or Death Watch "dungeons" or fly in space as a squadron.

If you hang out at the usual "solo-group" waterholes, its your own fault that you are bored to death.

The game gives to you as much as you give to the game (and the other players). If you give nothing beyond a fleeting moment of self gratification, then you get nothing in return and there is obviously no loss when you move on to the next game that will bore you again to tears in about 3 weeks.

Have fun

Erillion

• Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595

Ok I played SWG for 3 months and I gotta say when it comes to quests. THere is like nothing interesting abou tthem at all. There boring not much of a good storyline at all. I mean sure there are places to go things to do but the quests outside of very few of them actually have an engaging plot. This game has the potential to be the best MMORPG of all times. But the sheer fact of the matter is that its just to boring for most people. The lack of cool quests plots really hurts and Combat being broken after how long the game has been released for is utterly sad. Also the fact that JTL relies on your ships equipment is just lame. I'm a star wars fan and your skill always had more to do with it than your ships "items". Frankly the game has some great stuff but the stuff that keeps you playing for most people is just missing. I'll stick to the quick fun of City of Heroes and the Engaging quests of World of Warcraft for my fun.

• pirrgpirrg Member Posts: 1,443

Originally posted by Erillion

>>>
    Graphics: Bland colors, randomly generated terrains with citys randomly dropped on it.
    >>>
    err .. bland colors ? Has your sense of colour been impaired by the WoW bonbon colour palette ?  Nine planets, with varying landscape types and varying main colours.
    Randomly generated terrain ? huh ? Terrain is fixed and only is modified by a spawned mob .. and this is only temporary. There are excellent maps available online and they show some 50-100 landmarks on each planet .. add to that player cities and harvesting machines. Plenty of variation.
    Cities - as long as they are known from SW canon they are placed at the right places (e.g. on Tatooine). On other planets the devs took some creative freedom and placed them around the planet. I see no RANDOMNESS in that.

>>No visable infrastructure outside the city say for the odd bridge here and there.
    Well .. there IS a desert planet, there IS a remote jungle planet etc. Sparsely populated Naboo is also like that shown in the films. I agree that on Corellia I would have expected a more urbanized landscape.
    And as I said above .. every planet has about 50-100 landmarks to visit, some of them also are used in quests and themeparks.

>>>
    >>>
    You are mixing quests with missions from the mission terminals. There ARE plenty of quests, themeparks, instanced "dungeons" and Points of interest. However, if you play SWG like a solo game you WILL have done all the hard coded quests after a few months ... and have to wait for new content, which is added from time to time. But MAYBE you missed the point of a "multiPLAYER" game .. which is to interact with others instead of playing a larger than usual solo game.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    The good, successful PvP players all agree that PvP is much more than button pushing. However - as with all things combat in SWG - the system is massively imbalanced and there are many bugs and it needs revamping ... which is already in the works. So yes, PvP is not a good choice at the moment.

>>>
    >>>
    Spoken obviously from someone that is either in the wrong guild and/or on the wrong server. Find a better guild, city, server .... there is plenty of interaction and roleplaying for those who want it. Its all about community .. if your community sucks, find a better community .. and there ARE many such better ones out there.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    Find a better guild and you can group often and with people that are fun to have around. There are literally dozens of high end boss mobs you can test your skills against .. or do the corvette or Death Watch "dungeons" or fly in space as a squadron.
    If you hang out at the usual "solo-group" waterholes, its your own fault that you are bored to death.

The game gives to you as much as you give to the game (and the other players). If you give nothing beyond a fleeting moment of self gratification, then you get nothing in return and there is obviously no loss when you move on to the next game that will bore you again to tears in about 3 weeks.
    Have fun
    Erillion

By randomly generated terrain i meant that the devs didnt actually "create" most of the terrain themselves, real life terrain just doesnt LOOK like swg terrain. They merely took an flat piece of land and gave it a few bumps here and there. Add a river, some trees and voila, dull and unimaginative terrain. Altough, about 90% of the terrain is littered with horribly designed houses with signs like "CHEAP RIFLEZ IN STOCK HERE WTFPWN!" and deserted ghost towns with the odd player here and there minding their own business.

As for your other opinions, well, they are just opinons. I think we can agree to disagree, save for one point.

Quests and Missions are the exact same thing. There are some elaborate and nicely done quests but they are far too rare to make the game any better. Most quests are either "go to waypoint and destroy this" or "go to waypoint and retrieve this then go to waypoint 2 and kill that.." etc.

Ill just leave it at that and leave this forum too. Ive been enligthened to what an piece of garbage this game really is, and so will you within the near future.

rawr

• Ill drink to that image

Originally posted by pirrg

Why swg isnt fun? Lets see
    Graphics: Bland colors, randomly generated terrains with citys randomly dropped on it. No visable infrastructure outside the city say for the odd bridge here and there. Bland colors with about 50 shades for brown.
    There is the odd quest that is actually interesting for a minute or two, but overall this is a game that you should stay well away from. This must be the worst mmorpg out there by far.

rawr

Graphics-umm ya...alright bud

PVP-Go to Bloodfin the unoffical pvp server, thats when pvp is fun

Originally posted by pirrg

Originally posted by Erillion

>>>
    >>>

>>>
    >>>
    >>>>
    >>>>

>>>
    >>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>

Have fun
    Erillion

By randomly generated terrain i meant that the devs didnt actually "create" most of the terrain themselves, real life terrain just doesnt LOOK like swg terrain. They merely took an flat piece of land and gave it a few bumps here and there. Add a river, some trees and voila, dull and unimaginative terrain. Altough, about 90% of the terrain is littered with horribly designed houses with signs like "CHEAP RIFLEZ IN STOCK HERE WTFPWN!" and deserted ghost towns with the odd player here and there minding their own business.

As for your other opinions, well, they are just opinons. I think we can agree to disagree, save for one point.

Quests and Missions are the exact same thing. There are some elaborate and nicely done quests but they are far too rare to make the game any better. Most quests are either "go to waypoint and destroy this" or "go to waypoint and retrieve this then go to waypoint 2 and kill that.." etc.

Ill just leave it at that and leave this forum too. Ive been enligthened to what an piece of garbage this game really is, and so will you within the near future.

rawr

Get a better G-Card

scratch that...

CRY MORE NOOB

• --Spoiler----Spoiler-- Member Posts: 2

I played with the free account for a month or so, then went and activated a real account for three months. Three months may not seem like a long time, but I just couldn't keep it up.

I did manage to team up with people here at there, and that was fun for a little bit. But here is why I quit:

There is many many different things to do in this game, but I personally just like to go combat orientated characters. So I go and start a brawler. Everything is cool for a while, but after a little while I start to wonder what the heck I am doing. As stated in some earlier posts, why in the world do I have to go hit a damn piece of rock a million and a half times? To make it worse, it takes me an hour to get to the rock and an hour to get back to the city. Yes there are other things to do, but you can't hardly do anything combat wise without spending your hard earned cash on doctor buffs. It's very discouraging.

I just couldn't keep doing the same thing over and over again. Now I don't want to start upsetting all of those SWG fans out there. I did like the game a bit and saw a lot of potential. I didn't find the interface too difficult and I thought the graphics were pretty nice for my standards.

I had the most fun in game playing Galactic Civil War battles within my own (mixed, rather large ) guild. 10 - 20 people per side ... on ground or in space. Not being FORCED to buff to have ANY chance. No exploits or abusive talk as these are your friends and guild buddies. But no less competitive. 

Just plain FUN. Having a narrative story ( our city has won the decorative X-Wing in one of SOEs server events so one of the battles was to capture the downed rebel pilot and then free him from his prison in the imperial base).

Its also great fun to repel Sith assaults against the village in Phase 4 with a bunch of buddies or do a raid on the Death Watch Bunker (NO ONE soloes there :-).

So ... there ARE many ways you can do combat in a much more interesting way. It sounds like you were grinding missions for days and months ... and THAT sure gets old soon. Although with the new loot finding the right parts from the right enemies is quite interesting for a while, as you have to combine numerous parts to craft the new loot items.

Have fun

Erillion

• TyfoTyfo Member Posts: 18

On a sidenote, the Combat Upgrade is coming out soon, which will hopefully change the whole way we will look on combat. Rancors can't be soloed, krayts can't be soloed. Doctors buffs will be reduced to something that isn't neccesary to fight. Unbuffed PvP, evening out combat, giving combat-professions different roles.

That sort of things.

And they are about to change GCW. Player-based bases will now count, and be viable to which is side is controlling what planets, and that will effect which cities will have Imperial or Rebel NPC's. The developers are also changing how the whole TEF-system works.

They have made their past mistakes, but are now going in the right direction, with publish-sized updated every two weeks (instead of the past six weeks).

SWG is getting way better.

-----------------------------
    Looking forward to: WAR, Darkfall, Earthrise,
    Playing: Age of Conan
    Have played: WoW, SWG, Runescape, EVE, LotR:O, ... and a lot of other MMO's.

• khragkhrag Member Posts: 184

Originally posted by Tyfo

SWG is getting way better.

I played SWG for just shy of a year. I quit when the game became Star Wars Jedis. When you have a useless dev team, who cavess in to popular demand and allows everyone to become jedi, you ruin the game. When they allow you to play a wookiee imperial, or an Ithorian fighter, it ruins the SW feel.

The DEVS are the real problem with this game. Sure it can be boring doing it all alone but get in a good guild and it was a blast, untill there was suddenly jedi running everywhere, in an era when they were all but extinct.

Let me ask you this, if the game wasn't Star Wars Galaxies, but just Star Galaxies, do you think it would still be around?

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self.
    --Aristotle

• TyfoTyfo Member Posts: 18

I started because it is Star Wars, I stayed because it is a good game. Ever played Force Commander? It was fun and all in the beginning because of it's Star Warsy feeling, but quickly became boring because really, it is a bad game.

Yes, it's an immersion-mistake that there are tons of Jedi's in the game, and I hope with all my heart that they find someway to fix it without upsetting the majority of people (bringing perma-death would be good, then you would be forced to hide.. "Jedi-style"!).

Wookie-Imperials if somewhat kind of wrong, and should be removed, but there were highly-ranked non-human (humanlike though) in the Imperial.

Bringing in more factions would also be good. But there's lots to do, and limited power. But bringing in a lot of new developers was the best thing SOE has done since the publish with mounts and the publish with PA's. (Publish 13 with more inventory and storage space isn't bad either :D )

-----------------------------
    Looking forward to: WAR, Darkfall, Earthrise,
    Playing: Age of Conan
    Have played: WoW, SWG, Runescape, EVE, LotR:O, ... and a lot of other MMO's.

• BendenBenden Member Posts: 103

Very funny post Valhalid, you should write novels image

If you dont like crafting I'm not sure you'll like SWG. Let us know how things are going in game !

• JodokaiJodokai Member Posts: 1,621

Originally posted by khrag

I played SWG for just shy of a year. I quit when the game became Star Wars Jedis. When you have a useless dev team, who cavess in to popular demand and allows everyone to become jedi, you ruin the game. When they allow you to play a wookiee imperial, or an Ithorian fighter, it ruins the SW feel.

The DEVS are the real problem with this game. Sure it can be boring doing it all alone but get in a good guild and it was a blast, untill there was suddenly jedi running everywhere, in an era when they were all but extinct.

Let me ask you this, if the game wasn't Star Wars Galaxies, but just Star Galaxies, do you think it would still be around?

I'm sure I've said this at least a hundred time, but you must have missed it. If you go back and read what the Dev's had in store for Jedi it is nothing like what it is now. They did not "cave for popular demand", they caved because thier boss in this case Lucas Arts MADE THEM. That's right boys and girls the Dev's had no choice. So you can stop blaming SOE for Lucas Arts' stupidity.
  • SicarimSicarim Member Posts: 219
    Agreed. None of what happened was really in fact the devs fault. Its LUCASARTS' fault. I think the devs did a very good job with what little they were forced to work with.