Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Megaserver FAQ

niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

This is on Sony's DC Universe webpage under news, but I thought I'd post it for those interested, or for those looking for a new reason to be annoyed with the game.  Interesting that it will use phasing to simulate pvp and pve servers all on one platform.

MEGASERVER FAQ - 05/16/2011

As RadarX previously announced, we will soon introduce new technology into DC Universe Online which will allow us to combine our current servers into huge MegaServers. I wanted to answer some of the questions that have popped up on the forums and Facebook to better explain what these MegaServers will mean to the game.

Why are you creating MegaServers?

We have a very large and active population in DCUO. As players achieve higher levels, a lot more of the game involves participating in Raids, Arenas, Duos, Alerts, and other queued instances. After examining how the queues were working in detail, we saw our players were spending far too much time waiting and not enough time playing. This just would not do. We wanted an approach that would not only help players waiting for queued content, but ensured that no matter when you play, there are a maximum number of people in the cities as well. MegaServers offers a way to have an incredible experience no matter what your play habits are.

I am on a PvP server. Will I still be with other PvP players when I get to a MegaServer?

Yes! MegaServers use "phasing" technology, meaning there is more than one version, or phase, of Metropolis and Gotham on the server. Players who selected PvP servers when they created their characters will always be in a PvP phase of the shared world with other PvP players. The same goes for PvE players; They will always be placed in PvE phases. However, since the queues will be shared, PvE and PvP players will be able to group up for Alerts, Raids, Duos, etc. greatly increasing the pool of available players for matchmaking. It is a very cool system that really maximizes the people online, and nearby, for you to play with.

Will I still be able to play with my friends?

Yes! We have algorithms that will attempt to place you in the same phase as your friends and League members. Even if you you end up in a different phase, you can almost always phase to your friends. Using the UI, or a command like /phase SooperBFF you will be relocated to SooperBFF's phase in the same location that you phased from. There will be some limitations on when you can phase based on whether you are in combat, in an Alert or Duo, etc. but I think you will find it is easy to get together with the folks you want to play with.

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

well.. have to give it to them. they found an interesting way of carrying out a server merge AND.. putting positive spin on it.. awesome! image

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

It sounds very much like Champions Online's instances just with some setup for PvP.

I wasn't a fan of CO's instances so i doubt i would be for this.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Originally posted by Phry

well.. have to give it to them. they found an interesting way of carrying out a server merge AND.. putting positive spin on it.. awesome! image

I agree.  At first they made it seem as though it was going to be a cross realm lfg tool of some sorts, but this makes it seem much more like a merge of all U.S. and E.U servers for each platform.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

We have a very large and active population in DCUO  ..

who are they trying to kid.  servers with very large and active populations do not need merges.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by Kenze

We have a very large and active population in DCUO  ..

who are they trying to kid.  servers with very large and active populations do not need merges.

Maybe he meant "...compared to our other games..."?!

• TheNinjaboyTheNinjaboy Member Posts: 243

Some more info from the Dev - DEADMEAT.

OK...Bunch of questions and comment here.  I will try and hit a few of them.

The idea here is to get as many folks into the queues and public spaces that we can.  We will not create a new phase of a PvE or PvP shared zone unless it hits its limit, which is in the thousands.  The goal is to have the maximum number of players in the shared areas as possible so do not worry about smaller populations.

I know many folks like the @ approach, but this is not a case of players being able to move from one server to another (or just chatting between servers) as in other games.  Everyone is on one server, even if they are not in the same phase.  The @ sign approach crteates a ton of problems for Customer Support,  Community and frankly for the players.  

"I was just ganked by Mister FancyPants!!!"

"Which one?"

Also there is the issue of new characters once the MegaServers are deployed.  What would be the meaning or purpose of an @ name?

I know we cannot please everyone on this (that is impossible frankly).  We will however be fair and consistent.  We have analyzed the DB and although naming collisions will affect thousands, in the end, it is still less than 5% of the subscribed players.

We will of course keep listening to feedback and your ideas.  Although the system is mostly done, we will consider any ideas that could solve the problems in a more elegant way.

Thanks,

DeadMeat

• ShariShari Member UncommonPosts: 746

anyone know when there going live, Im tired of not being able to group up with people

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by biohazardxbw

{mod edit}

Smedley promised you monthly content prior to the sale. Failing to deliver on that promise seems like all teh reason you would need to be able to insist on a full refund. Did you pay by credit card? Dispute it.