Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Witcher2 vs DA2

ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Lol a complete Knockout and there is no getting up from this one...for Bioware

Hey Bioware devs . you need to pick up a copy of Witcher 2 and give it a go you may learn how to make an RPG .. unlike the  junk you been passin off as one....

Comments

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

I got the witcher 1 off steam but havent played it.. are they really both good games? I really liked DA:O but havn't played 2 yet.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Have not had a chance to play either game, but I do know Witcher 1 was pretty good and from the information ive been hearing regarding DA2 and W2, Witcher 2 sounds like the dominating game.  It does everything DA2 does but better.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by marinrider

Have not had a chance to play either game, but I do know Witcher 1 was pretty good and from the information ive been hearing regarding DA2 and W2, Witcher 2 sounds like the dominating game.  It does everything DA2 does but better.

Except let you create your own character.  That's huge, IMHO.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

DA2 didnt have char creation ..............

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Originally posted by Scorchien

DA2 didnt have char creation ..............

wat?

Never played the first one, most likely won't play this one.  Is it just the sex in the game or what?

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

• lethyslethys Member UncommonPosts: 585

Originally posted by Vhaln

If by creating your "own" character, you mean create a character who is funneled into one set of actions no matter what choices you make, then yeah DA2 lets you do that.

Witcher 2 lets you create your own Geralt, with 4 different openings and 16 different endings based on choices, including the ability to play completely different content based on choice.  Plus, Geralt is a better character than any version of Hawke you can create, whether he is good or bad.  Good and bad Hawkes each don't match up with Geralt in any way.

Bioware should be ashamed of itself that this small polish company out-did it in terms of qualtiy.  DA had more than enough funding from EA to compete with this game but sadly cannot.

• chiksochikso Member Posts: 150

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

I know I am way more excited to play the witcher 2 then I ever was for DA2, I just never really liked the design change from DA:O to DA2. Although that does not mean that I dislike Bioware, I am still really looking forward to ME3 at the start of 2012.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Running W2 on high settings with 8 GB ram, X4 965 and crossfired 6850s. All I can say is.... I can't say anything because whatever I say wouldn't do it justice. I am definitely dropping my Rift playing time for this. In fact, I may just give up on mmos all together for now. W2 has reinvigorated me with that passion I had playing single player rpgs back in the 80s and 90s.

Meanwhile, Bioware has gone downhill since the EA buyout. We have proof of that with DA2 becoming a dumbed down console port.  Now, DAO was a great game, but if DAO set the bar at or above Oblivion or BG2, then W2 just smashed the bar into microscopic frigin bits.

Go read through the average user reviews on Metacritic and Gamespot and see for yourself. Unless Skyrim releases to perfection W2 is EASILY the PC RPG of the year and a contender for PC GAME of the year.

• DocZDocZ Member Posts: 105

I havent played w2 but  i do know  the first one was extreamly over rated maybe because of the lack of rpgs released at the time. I have yet to see a game since the snes days to have so many repeated character models all through all the npcs in the game. I got about half way through before i just got tired of looking at the same 6 people in every town the story itself wasnt  enough to carry it.

as for da2 its ok but meh game but i knew that before release  i would only guess the witcher wins because  how da is taking its cues of the lazly made mass effect 2  and leaving the rpg genre all togheter .

I challenged my reflection to a staring contest....4 days later i won

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Thankfully didn't end up spending money on DA2 after my friend let me use his copy for a couple days. I am more than impressed with the Witcher 2 thus far, definently worth the purchase.

Originally posted by lethys

If by creating your "own" character, you mean create a character who is funneled into one set of actions no matter what choices you make, then yeah DA2 lets you do that.

Sure, guess you could say that's what I mean.  Spin it how you want, I just consider character creation the most important part of a RPG.  It's just my own personal preference, and what I look to RPGs for.  

When did that change, btw?  I mean, yeah, even DA2 is halfway to just giving the player some guy named Hawke to play.  It seems like more and more RPGs are less RPG and more like what we used to call adventure games.  Is it console influence?  Am I just some old guy babbling about how things were back in my day, or what?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

ME2/3 > The Witcher 2 > DA2  (for me)

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

How close is the game to Oblivion (Gameplay, storyline, combat).

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Sure, guess you could say that's what I mean.  Spin it how you want, I just consider character creation the most important part of a RPG.  It's just my own personal preference, and what I look to RPGs for.  

When did that change, btw?  I mean, yeah, even DA2 is halfway to just giving the player some guy named Hawke to play.  It seems like more and more RPGs are less RPG and more like what we used to call adventure games.  Is it console influence?  Am I just some old guy babbling about how things were back in my day, or what?

Yea W2 and even DA2 are not rpg's in the clasical sence. I love DA/DA2 and hate W/W2  in one game I as player develop a bond whit a character i created in the other I just run around whit a character that does and says acording to the game studio's vission no player input needed. 

both game are more adventure / action games then rpg's but then that was to be expected ten years ago already. single player games would and have become more story/action games and mmo's were supose to become the great deep rpg's its just that the mmo market dint deliver at all on the rpg factor ..

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Ive not bought DA2 and i prolly never will buy any game bioware release ever in near future, when they stay in the cassual console camp, but compare witcher 2 with DA2 is also no comparison and not valid.

There 2 comepletely different games so they cant be comepared, its silly to do so.

• KshahdooKshahdoo Member Posts: 553

Originally posted by Swanea
    How close is the game to Oblivion (Gameplay, storyline, combat).

Oblivion is crap. I'd say Witcher 2 is better than Gothic 2 + NotR. And it's impossible... I mean it was impossible until now...

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Originally posted by Groovydutch

Ive not bought DA2 and i prolly never will buy any game bioware release ever in near future, when they stay in the cassual console camp, but compare witcher 2 with DA2 is also no comparison and not valid.

There 2 comepletely different games so they cant be comepared, its silly to do so.

you have a wise mind.... bioware is not what it used to be the good times are long gone, and right now I even fear then TOR will be the same a huge let down.

funny part is I bought DA2 just because, hey maybe they will not be that bad or at least they will keep a good story for the game, but no, game is too easy, all the good things you could do in DA:O with combo skills and all are not here anymore, chars lack customization, not really any party member you really care or like, the most it could do is give some answers from certain questions about the qunari, other then that...... I swear, its because EA?

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Dragon Age Origins was better than The Witcher 1.  I didn't play DA2 and will likely not play The Witcher 2 until it comes down in price,  the entire Witcher Series is a little overrated to me,   but then again, so is the DA series.

In my opinion ME 1/2 and 3 are currently and will be better than both entire series of DA and The Witcher.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

Witcher 2 aint bad, DA2 is failure for me..im disappointed an i like DA1 more

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED

Originally posted by timeraider

Witcher 2 aint bad, DA2 is failure for me..im disappointed an i like DA1 more

I was very put off by DA2 at first, but after the lengthy beginning and getting into the meat of the game, it did hook me.  It has some glaring weaknesses, and understand people saying they're disappointed, but at the same time, I think some might be missing out, not giving it enough of a chance.  It's a letdown, but IMHO, still good.  Not great, it's less than half the game the original DA was, but not the terrible game people make it out to be, either.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Dragon Age Origins was better than The Witcher 1.  I didn't play DA2 and will likely not play The Witcher 2 until it comes down in price,  the entire Witcher Series is a little overrated to me,   but then again, so is the DA series.

In my opinion ME 1/2 and 3 are currently and will be better than both entire series of DA and The Witcher.

I dont get the appeal of the witcher series, geralt isa  boring dude, the combat isnt that exciting, and the conversation is flat. I think the witcher is more of a german pride thing like stalker then anything. Because i beat both witcher and DA, and DA is much better. As for DA2 and witcher 2 i have both, and dislike both equally.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

For the people who want to make your own character, i can appreciate that.

But Gealt of Rivia is a complete badass. He is he James Bond of Medieval fantasy games. Great dialog perfect blend of ability and apathy, and man does he get the ladies!

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• NesrieNesrie Member Posts: 648

Witcher 2 lets you create your own Geralt, with 4 different openings and 16 different endings based on choices, including the ability to play completely different content based on choice.  Plus, Geralt is a better character than any version of Hawke you can create, whether he is good or bad.  Good and bad Hawkes each don't match up with Geralt in any way.

Bioware should be ashamed of itself that this small polish company out-did it in terms of qualtiy.  DA had more than enough funding from EA to compete with this game but sadly cannot.

Female characters matter to a number of people.

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.