Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard: "Cross-realm Real ID party system will be premium-based"

VerterdegeteVerterdegete Member UncommonPosts: 247

With the continued popularity of the Dungeon Finder, many players have been asking for a way to group up with real-life friends who play on other realms to take on instances together. Today, we wanted to give you a heads up about a new feature currently in development that will allow players to invite Real ID friends of the same faction to a party regardless of the realm they play on, and then queue up for a 5-player regular or Heroic dungeon.

As this is a fairly complex service to develop, we don’t have a release date to share quite yet. It’s important to note that as with some of the other convenience- and connectivity-oriented features we offer, certain elements of the cross-realm Real ID party system will be premium-based, though only the player sending the invitations will need to have access to the premium service. We'll have more details to share with you as development progresses -- in the meantime, you may begin to see elements of the feature appear on the World of Warcraft PTR.

Source: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2123552598?page=1#1

Milk that cow Blizz !!!

Comments

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Omg...seriously...

The only words for this probably shouldn't be seen by children.

Like you said, "Milk the cow" ugh.

I hate Blizzard.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• NoNic2NoNic2 Member Posts: 21

LOL if Wow is f2p no problem but adding "premium service"  on top of cash shop is spit in face to all loyal Wow fans who continue to pay monthly for this outdated and tired game

• VerterdegeteVerterdegete Member UncommonPosts: 247

Subscription fee + Premium fee + Cash Shop...

What's next ? Ingame advertising ?

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

I've always thought that the main flaw of the dungeon finder system is that you can't reasonably talk to or group with people from other realms after the random group ends.

This feature corrects the issue... yet, you have to pay extra for it. So now Blizzard is creating problems, and then charging extra to correct them?

While I'm honestly not suprised by Blizzard leech-economics at this point, Blizzard still manages to stoop to a new low.

As more and more players get sick of WoW, expect more of this "premium" crap to flood the game.

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

The sad thing, the saddest part, is that profit models like this will make other companies to believe this is A-OK.

I was ok with faction transfers and server transfers costing money. I was ok with the online auction house costing money, but a fee just to play with your friends?

That's ignorant.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Originally posted by Ceridith

As more and more players get sick of WoW, expect more of this "premium" crap to flood the game.

Yeah, I don't find this surprising at all. The game has started to lose subs and as it continues I have no doubt that Blizzy will continue to poke away trying to squeeze out whatever they can to the point where WoW will end up resembling a slice of Swiss cheese.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

This has the Activision/Kotick brand written all over it, this kind of inspired cash grabbing schemes.

The sad thing is that it's a good feature, only one that will get milked for all it's worth.

I can only hope that GW2 will show that MMO's can be hugely successful without having to resort to a P2P+cash shop+paid additional services scheme with the weak excuse that "it's needed to keep the servers going and fund development"

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

The large amount of players willing to spend a little extra money for this convenience will prove to other companies that it is A-ok. Luckily for you guys, if you don't want to use it, you won't have to pay for it.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Originally posted by Deathofsage

The sad thing, the saddest part, is that profit models like this will make other companies to believe this is A-OK.

I was ok with faction transfers and server transfers costing money. I was ok with the online auction house costing money, but a fee just to play with your friends?

That's ignorant.

Well, a few things, it's A-OK if people are willing to pay for it. That's how business works.

as a point of comparison, I do not think it's ok to "rent" my music by subscribing to a service. I believe in buying my music and having it until I die. Others don't believe that and they subscribe to services. In the end it's up to the consumers to decide what is A-OK and if enough use the service then it's obviously A-OK. well, at least to them.

As far as being ignorant, how so?

If they can make money off of this then it certainly isn't ignorant of what the players are willing to pay for.

If you are saying it's ignorant because players won't pay to play with friends then that's a "we'll see".

As it is it has nothing to do with "just' playing with your friends and everything to do with "playing with your friends on another server". Though I would ask why not just transfer and then play with your friends but I suppose this might have more to do with meeting people from other servers in other venues and then wanting to play with them.

My opinion is that this shouldn't be a paid for service. However, my opinion is that if this incurs a great cost to the company to implement then I understand why it would be part of a paid service.

Not sure it's great customer relatons but there it is.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

This has the Activision/Kotick brand all over it, this kind of inspired cash grabbing schemes.

ah bingo we have a winner.

It's interesting to note that when Activision and Blizzard merged (or whatever they did) I stated that this might not be a great thing. I was immediatly shot down as everyone said "activison makes great games" and "Blizzard rules" (paraphrased) etc.

But seeing and being in one too many mergers I have experienced first hand what happesn when two companies merge for the purpose of creating better business.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

This makes me smile.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Unfortunately they will keep the vicious cycle going - lose a bit subscription revenue, make up for it through microtransactions/premium services. 

I don't understand where they drew the line here, you can play with people from other servers for years already through LFD but you can't invite, deciding to charge specifically when it would become very convenient for players?

I think we are looking at another $2 monthly fee though. Now a player will have to pay monthly $19 to have full access to game features (normal subscription + remote subscription + new premium subscription).

• AckbarAckbar Member UncommonPosts: 927

I was gonna unsub due to boredom but now im unsubbing due to outrage.

----ITS A TRAP!!!----

• VerterdegeteVerterdegete Member UncommonPosts: 247

"We chose to go with the subscription-based model instead of that approach. We've taken the approach that we want players to feel like it's a level playing field once they're in WoW. Outside resources don't play into it -- no gold buying, etc. We take a hard line stance against it. What you get out of microtransactions is kind of the same thing and I think our player base would feel betrayed by it. I think that's something else you have to decide on up-front instead of implementing later.

--Rob Pardo, Blizzard's Senior Vice President of Game Design (2/20/2008)"

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

This may well be the most transparent "cash grab" that WoW has made to date.  Seriously, $15 per month * 11 million isn't enough to improve on the product?  This basically shows that Blizzard is not willing to do anything to improve the experience of their subscribers without being directly compensated for every single feature they add.

• mm0wigginsmm0wiggins Member Posts: 270

Originally posted by Murashu

The large amount of players willing to spend a little extra money for this convenience will prove to other companies that it is A-ok. Luckily for you guys, if you don't want to use it, you won't have to pay for it.

This is exactly what I'm afraid of.   It seems that everything Blizz decides to do with wow and it's payment systems becomes the new flavor of the month for other games to latch on to.  

I will get pretty mad if other games start to do this...

This is not a troll, flame, or anything else worth banning me over. It is simply my pure opinion, and I have a right to share it.

• generals3generals3 Member Posts: 3,307

Originally posted by Verterdegete

Subscription fee + Premium fee + Cash Shop...

What's next ? Ingame advertising ?

You know too much. Expect people in black suits at your door soon.

On topic: If this is going to be implemented they can kiss my subscription good bye. The feature being premium doesn't piss me off per se , i wouldn't use it anyway, however it's the principle. It starts with services like server transfers and stuff like vanity pets , than comes some features, where would it end? I ain't gonna waste a sub on a game i know is going to scam me.

And in case blizzard didn't know it : in most F2P's paying a sub gives you the "premium" access, so by that logic wouldn't simply paying for the sub give you access to such premium features? No? No? aww

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.
    Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.

Originally posted by Verterdegete

"We chose to go with the subscription-based model instead of that approach. We've taken the approach that we want players to feel like it's a level playing field once they're in WoW. Outside resources don't play into it -- no gold buying, etc. We take a hard line stance against it. What you get out of microtransactions is kind of the same thing and I think our player base would feel betrayed by it. I think that's something else you have to decide on up-front instead of implementing later.

--Rob Pardo, Blizzard's Senior Vice President of Game Design (2/20/2008)"

amazing that no one mentioned this yet...    people just don't seem to want to snap out of their zombie-like gear-treadmill trance at all, or even long enough to step back and say "wtf am I paying this company for?!?!?!"

This is not a troll, flame, or anything else worth banning me over. It is simply my pure opinion, and I have a right to share it.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

This is what happens when there is no competition. 

It is purely a greedy bullshit move on the part of blizzard.  Fuck'em.

Originally posted by generals3

And in case blizzard didn't know it : in most F2P's paying a sub gives you the "premium" access, so by that logic wouldn't simply paying for the sub give you access to such premium features? No? No? aww

EXACTLY!!!  it's ridiculous isn't it??!

• MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468

Sad thing is that there are already ppl who are 'excited' about this, is Kotick posting there or are ppl realy that dumb ... (yea i know answer)

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

"Now cracks a noble heart. Good night, sweet Wow, And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!"

Its too bad that none of the people who really understood what made this game a sensation are still at the company in any position to actually make decisions. If this is the kind of direction the company is going to take, I shudder to think what kind of monstrosity they are brewing with Titan. They might as well move the whole shebang to Amsterdam. At least there prostitution is legal.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• BlurrBlurr Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

I gotta say, it kinda rubs me the wrong way that the majority of the services which are supposedly to help you play with your friends are the ones that have a premium placed upon them.

"Because it's easier to nitpick something than to be constructive." -roach5000

• Short-StrawShort-Straw Member Posts: 422

Does matter if Blizzard realeases a polished game anymore. Titan may equal an Activision cash grab business model.

• paroxysmparoxysm Member Posts: 437

Bobby Kotick.  All you have to do is read his old interviews on getting into gaming and why.  Nothing will ever surprise you after that.

This is the exact moment that people need to stick to their guns.  They've been moving towards this and, as usual, saying they would never do this kind of thing.  If people pay for this, it will only give them the ok to add more pay services than they already have.  YOUR actions will determine where this goes.