Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: The WoW Replacement?

Comments

• SkuldinSkuldin Member Posts: 79

The timing of the article is odd.  I wrote a much more in-depth review of the game when it was far more relevant to being a low level player than this. I also experienced dungeons and PvP along every step of the way. How is this relevant to mid-May?

Thirty years of gaming experience...not sure if I should be proud of that
    www.mmoexaminer.blogspot.com

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Originally posted by watchawatcha

Originally posted by ste2000

I am not denying that there are many people that likes Rift, but there are many that like Darkfall too.............

Can we have an article "Darkfall: The WoW replacement?", I will write it

It looks like someone is desperatly trying to make Rift appear as the real deal, when in fact in few months down the line the only game it will compete against will be Warhammer.

Those kind of article are seriously not need it MMORPG.com

The amount of people playing Darkfall vs. Rift is beyond comparison.  Darkfall doesn't have close not by a long shot - the number that Rift has.  NOT BY A LONG SHOT.

Even the amount of player playing Rift against WoW is beyond comparison..............which is the point of my post

A vast majority of players still prefer WoW (a 6 y/o game) to Rift, yet in the article it looks like there is clear evidence that Rift is superior to WoW, so much so that is put forward as it's replacement (while numbers do not support the theory, and many bored players too)

That's what is wrong with this article, which to me looks like a MMORPG.com gift to Trion....................

I offer myself to write an article explaing why Rift won't be the WoW replacement...............I have even more arguments to support my theory  than the writer of this article.

• Xriss69Xriss69 Member Posts: 1

The way i see it Rift and WoW are both very good games.  They each have there good and bad points and nether is really better then the other.  I have Played MMO's back when Altima online whats the sheez nit and on thru EQ and DAOC and so on and so on.  I see that Rift just brings a new outlook to the table and really gives your CPU a work out Graphics wise!  That has to be the one major advantage i see that Rift has over WoW! 

• watchawatchawatchawatcha Member Posts: 960

I am not denying that there are many people that likes Rift, but there are many that like Darkfall too.............

It looks like someone is desperatly trying to make Rift appear as the real deal, when in fact in few months down the line the only game it will compete against will be Warhammer.

The amount of people playing Darkfall vs. Rift is beyond comparison.  Darkfall doesn't have close not by a long shot - the number that Rift has.  NOT BY A LONG SHOT.

Even the amount of player playing Rift against WoW is beyond comparison..............which is the point of my post

A vast majority of players still prefer WoW (a 6 y/o game) to Rift, yet in the article it looks like there is clear evidence that Rift is superior to WoW, so much so that is put forward as it's replacement (while numbers do not support the theory, and many bored players too)

That's what is wrong with this article, which to me looks like a MMORPG.com gift to Trion....................

Actually not really.  You were saying that there's no justification for MMORPG to address if Rift could be a WoW replacement.  You then alluded that Rift and Darkfall are on the same playing field.  And they're not.  Darkfall is a niche game that might have 60k subs.  Rift is a AAA mainstream themepark that has 700k subs, but probably 1 million.  Rift is also the most successful selling PC game for the month of March. 

The article is suggesting that Rift COULD be a replacement for WoW.  It's not saying that it is.  Rift is a success.  Many are upset with that fact.  But a fact it still remains.  Doesn't mean the game will 'take over' WoW.  Most certainly doesn't mean that Rift would garner 11.6 million subs, ever.  I mean for them to have a shot at even attempting to compete with WoW sub wise, they'd need to sell their game in China.  Which is were a vast majority of WoW subs come from.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by Deathofsage

Originally posted by WSIMike

WoW was never the first MMO they came into the MMO market much later then many other titles. These people who believe WoW was the first MMO are probably the same people who believe that George Washington abolished slavery or they really spent 500 million dollars a day for the president to visit India. 

"I swear, officer... He was rambling on about "not comparing Rift to WoW". Then - and I have no idea why - he suddenly just started ranting something about George Washington and 500 million dollars to go to India... and he just wandered off into the weeds. Hasn't come back out yet. I think he may have veered off the trail and gotten himself lost in there."

Sir, can you step out of the vehicle, turn around and place your hands together, fingers interlaced, behind you?

I want my phone call!!!

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Actually not really.  You were saying that there's no justification for MMORPG to address if Rift could be a WoW replacement.  You then alluded that Rift and Darkfall are on the same playing field.  And they're not.  Darkfall is a niche game that might have 60k subs.  Rift is a AAA mainstream themepark that has 700k subs, but probably 1 million.  Rift is also the most successful selling PC game for the month of March. 

The article is suggesting that Rift COULD be a replacement for WoW.  It's not saying that it is.  Rift is a success.  Many are upset with that fact.  But a fact it still remains.  Doesn't mean the game will 'take over' WoW.  Most certainly doesn't mean that Rift would garner 11.6 million subs, ever.  I mean for them to have a shot at even attempting to compete with WoW sub wise, they'd need to sell their game in China.  Which is were a vast majority of WoW subs come from.

Show me where you got this '700k, probably a million' current subs from.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Originally posted by Robsolf

Originally posted by elocke

My thoughts exactly....until I hit level 50.  2 months after launch and I'm back to WoW .  I like Rift, but it doesnt' have enough content, i.e. alternate leveling paths for multiple alts, to keep me playing it the same I way I played Wow at launch.  For me the game, needs to double itself in order to keep me playing long enough to the next expansion or major content patch.

Also, while some of the game is faster paced, I have found that WoW quests obliterate Rift quests in every way.  I mow down 10 mobs much faster in WoW than I ever did in Rift.  Also, PHASING is just awesome to me.  It makes me feel like the quest was worth it.  Unlike in Rift where the quests don't really matter except as a vehicle to get me xp points.  And, if you want to just quest to level cap, you HAVE to do as many quests as you can, which again, ruins any replayability.

Also, those Rifts and footholds get old real fast.  At 50, when I was in Tier 2 gear, you basically are only closing Rifts and footholds for rep and achievements.  It got to the point where people would call "Invasion in Stillmoor!" and I wouldn't even bat an eye.  I just didn't care enough to go do it for the umpteenth time.

For me, WoW still wins hands down, but, RIFT is a great second alternative and I'm sure I'll be revisiting it a year or so from now after more content has been added.  

True... when a place gets invaded every 2-3 hours, it doesn't really seem like an invasion.  It just seems like "mob migration that denies you access to NPC's". 

Agree with both. But is last sentence that made me stop playing Rift. For some time.

This is insane. Have found myself 3 days in row to be unable to continue with my preffered alt at all playing because quest hub was "invaded" by npc invaders that were impossible to kill, because they killed nearly all npc and few players trying to do something. I have returned at random times 3 days in row (always at night). After 15 mins of impossible fights and 5 to 10 deaths ... just logged out.

Maybe month ago I remember with same alt in another area i was unable to continue for full 4 to 6 hours because that things with 130.000hp were constantly there and no high level player or more normal level players around. Was just frustrating. And it is happening constantly.

Have petitioned few times but do not have impression any1 is reading anything.

This are actually my 2 only real complains about Rift.

I can think about rifts as great idea ... but at the end they are just bothering factor. So many rifts and never enough players to destroy them. With exception of starting areas.

Otherwise Rift is great game. And it is unique in being great game without bugs. Never ever played any more smooth mmorpg. Looks very realistic yet runs better maybe on max settings then wow (where btw have 10 lv. 85).

Have not experienced however at all endgame in Rift and because of problems above ... guess this will not happen so soon.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

I think the problem is you're taking his post too literally at face value. You seem to have  completely missed the point he was making.

The point he's making is between the lines.

Again... you're taking what he said at face value.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

I just had to respond to this comment.  Here's how Rift works.  Because you have four roles that do different 'jobs' as opposed to a game that gives you slightly variant options but do basically the same thing; you can switch your role to a 'job' that's more appropriate.  Run into a quest that needs CC?  Switch to a CC spec.  Need some healing to get by a boss?  Switch to a healing spec.  Need a tank?  Same.  DPS? same.  It allows you to complete content yourself without relying on others.  You also have options to swtich out roles to get LFG faster for dungeons.  Hint.  Being a tank gets you into instances faster.  So character customization is refering to the soul system I believe.  The one major thing that sets Rift apart from virtually every other game in the MMO genre.

WoW has this too.  granted to a lesser extent, but only 2 out of WoW's 9 classes are purely one role.  4 of them can heal.  4 of them can tank.  3 of them can perform all 3 roles (Tank, Heal, DPS)

And Rift's system does NOT allow you to complete content without relying on others.  if tis meant to be soloed, you can solo it.  I never came across a quest where I had to swap to complete it.

The thing Rift's system does most effectively is it lets other players tell you how you should play your character.  Clerics should a heal spec or you are a 'baddie'.  Mages should have a Chloromancer spec or you are 'lazy'.  Rogues should have a bard spec or you are 'not a team player'.

I love thinking of different ways to beat difficult encounters, but Rift system is a gigantic easy button.  I would rather the strategy be in the different abilities of various roles (classes) than the strategy being 'oh just change to a new role (class)'.  Oh that boss is doing too much dps.  Instead of using our abilities to lessen the amount of damage taken or pump out better dps to down it, lets just cheese it and make billy who plays a pyromancer and signed up to dps, play a chloromancer instead.  Oh he doesnt have that spec?  boot him instead of finding a way to do the encounter with what we have!

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412

The argument that WoW still has players therefore Rift sucks is null... Wow has had years to establish that large of a playerbase. Rift is new, yet WoW has lost 5% of it's players... The players that Rift has lost were the one that simply couldn't give up playing WoW... not because it's a better game, but because they don't want to lose their precious characters. It's much harder to leave a game that you're well established in than it is to join a new game. And that's the FACTS.

• UzlebUzleb Member Posts: 162

Looks like a cool game , bummer it has a sub or i'd be all over it.

Originally posted by teakbois

I just had to respond to this comment.  Here's how Rift works.  Because you have four roles that do different 'jobs' as opposed to a game that gives you slightly variant options but do basically the same thing; you can switch your role to a 'job' that's more appropriate.  Run into a quest that needs CC?  Switch to a CC spec.  Need some healing to get by a boss?  Switch to a healing spec.  Need a tank?  Same.  DPS? same.  It allows you to complete content yourself without relying on others.  You also have options to swtich out roles to get LFG faster for dungeons.  Hint.  Being a tank gets you into instances faster.  So character customization is refering to the soul system I believe.  The one major thing that sets Rift apart from virtually every other game in the MMO genre.

WoW has this too.  granted to a lesser extent, but only 2 out of WoW's 9 classes are purely one role.  4 of them can heal.  4 of them can tank.  3 of them can perform all 3 roles (Tank, Heal, DPS)

And Rift's system does NOT allow you to complete content without relying on others.  if tis meant to be soloed, you can solo it.  I never came across a quest where I had to swap to complete it.

The thing Rift's system does most effectively is it lets other players tell you how you should play your character.  Clerics should a heal spec or you are a 'baddie'.  Mages should have a Chloromancer spec or you are 'lazy'.  Rogues should have a bard spec or you are 'not a team player'.

I love thinking of different ways to beat difficult encounters, but Rift system is a gigantic easy button.  I would rather the strategy be in the different abilities of various roles (classes) than the strategy being 'oh just change to a new role (class)'.  Oh that boss is doing too much dps.  Instead of using our abilities to lessen the amount of damage taken or pump out better dps to down it, lets just cheese it and make billy who plays a pyromancer and signed up to dps, play a chloromancer instead.  Oh he doesnt have that spec?  boot him instead of finding a way to do the encounter with what we have!

• Zandora2018Zandora2018 Member Posts: 240

Originally posted by tkoreaper

The argument that WoW still has players therefore Rift sucks is null... Wow has had years to establish that large of a playerbase. Rift is new, yet WoW has lost 5% of it's players... The players that Rift has lost were the one that simply couldn't give up playing WoW... not because it's a better game, but because they don't want to lose their precious characters. It's much harder to leave a game that you're well established in than it is to join a new game. And that's the FACTS.

^ this. PPL always say WoW this WoW that ... truth is that it has had YEARS to add content , quest , fix bugs , make bugs , ect ...... And the fact that games like Rift , Aion , AOC come along and nip at the heels of WoW goes and shows you that ppl are willing for change and willing to spend $$$ to make a "New" game.  How many compianes are willing to make a "New" OS ???? ya thought so

Played Aoc/DDO/FFXI/WAR / LoTRo / CO / Aion
    Playing Rift

Waiting for FFXIV to be the game it should. so sad =(

• darlok6666darlok6666 Member Posts: 211

Originally posted by tkoreaper

Wrong, people left Rift not because they couldn't give up WoW but because all they say was WoW in Rift with very little distinctive differences.  And to what people are gonna throw back of "how Rift is different" that is not different, it's just a rehash off all that's WoW and thrown into the Rift world.  People are looking for something DIFFERENT which is why they tried Rift in the first place, that alone shows that people are looking for something new.

It's not so much that their unwilling to leave their game but more of why leave their game when the other game has almost identical features and mechanics which in some cases less features.  GW2 and SWTOR will draw people as it will be distinctly DIFFERENT than WoW, unlike Rift that's seasoned a lil different but in the end the same meal.

Ultimately I think Trion's marketing strategy is what is gonna bite them in the ass.  Early off they were making comparison's to WoW and challenging then, but they provide nothing new, innovative, or real difference from WoW.  SWTOR or GW2 would prolly been a lot more successful with that kind of startegy considering how different they are from WoW.

Actually not at all the same thing.  Example:  I'm a warlock:  I will always have a pet and will always do some type of varying DOT damage.  Not the same thing.  I am a Mage I can have a pet, I can heal, I can CC and/or I can do single/AoE DPS.  Options of what I can do vary based on my build.  In WoWs system I must spend all my points in one focus of one selection of tree with a little variance.  Acknowledgement of to a 'lesser extent' is more severe than you let on.

I have been able to solo elite mobs designed for quests of a group of 2 people as a tank spec.  In my DPS role I would get crushed.  So your point is proven wrong based on my own experience.

This is a community issue not a game one.  You'll find this in any MMO you play.  I run with guildmates so I don't have this issue.  More over I like having the challenge of switching out roles instead of saying - well this group composition can't handle it.  I guess we have to pull the plug on this run.

Well this argument seems to be all over, but I'll still try to address it.  When you start the instance, someone should be asked for support if you know you need it going forward in the run later on.  If no one is willing to do support, then you should ask the person with the support icon (if you're using LFG tool) to run it.  If they refuse, then yes they should be booted at the beginning of the run.  It would be like someone queuing up to tank and then tell the group - sorry I'm DPS not a tank afterall.  So not sure what you mean about that part.  As for a challenge, the role system offers way more variety and ability to get the most amount of players involved in running an instance than WoW does.  Way more.  WoW you're looking for a specific class of which there's almost a dozen to choose from.  In Rift you have four callings and that's it.  If it's a LFG tool group, then you already know what you're role is when you signed up.  There will always be a tank, healer, support and 2xDPS in every run.  Like said before the person with the support icon, should be expected to go support.  If someone has a problem with that, they shouldn't be choosing support as an option when they queue up.  If it's a group that you make up outside of the LFG tool (no idea why you would want to do that - unless the tool is bugged), then it's up to you to figure that stuff out before the run begins.

Well this argument seems to be all over, but I'll still try to address it.  When you start the instance, someone should be asked for support if you know you need it going forward in the run later on.  If no one is willing to do support, then you should ask the person with the support icon (if you're using LFG tool) to run it.  If they refuse, then yes they should be booted at the beginning of the run.  It would be like someone queuing up to tank and then tell the group - sorry I'm DPS not a tank afterall.  So not sure what you mean about that part.  As for a challenge, the role system offers way more variety and ability to get the most amount of players involved in running an instance than WoW does.  Way more.  WoW you're looking for a specific class of which there's almost a dozen to choose from.  In Rift you have four callings and that's it.  If it's a LFG tool group, then you already know what you're role is when you signed up.  There will always be a tank, healer, support and 2xDPS in every run.  Like said before the person with the support icon, should be expected to go support.  If someone has a problem with that, they shouldn't be choosing support as an option when they queue up.  If it's a group that you make up outside of the LFG tool (no idea why you would want to do that - unless the tool is bugged), then it's up to you to figure that stuff out before the run begins.
  • tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

I love Rift, im playing it now and will play it for some time I think, but to be completely fair and unbiased I must admit that while the game is better in graphics it lacks something very important, Charisma, and the universe of Warcraft is brutal in terms of lore and environments.

For example, I didnt yet feel the epicness of entering Orgrimmar with that new orquestral music, its just brutal. The entire city breaths brutality and cries Horde all the way.

Im sure Rift is on the right track to sucess, but like everything in the market, it has alot of room to improve

• ichimarunicoichimarunico Member Posts: 210

Please play the level cap before declaring it a WoW replacement. Let the "OMG NEW SHINEY!" feeling wear off. 2 months from purchase and a week at level cap and you'll be bored like everyone else.

Originally posted by ichimarunico

Please play the level cap before declaring it a WoW replacement. Let the "OMG NEW SHINEY!" feeling wear off. 2 months from purchase and a week at level cap and you'll be bored like everyone else.

meh, I've been 50 for about a month and have played almost every day for hours on my 50 toon.  I like progression, so the experts/raiding is something I enjoy.

• BogeBoge Member Posts: 182

Why a "toon"?  That's short for cartoon which doesn't really fit the Rift graphic style.  Even so, a cartoon is the WHOLE thing, not the characters.  Tom & Jerry is a cartoon.  Tom and Jerry and characters in the cartoon.  Gosh I hate today's slang!!

Okay, now that my steam is out, I have some comments.  A number of this reviewers opinions are hit or miss.  She mentions not having to use your mount as a good thing, so a mount is useless in this game, that's a bad thing. 

The respawn rate is high, and that's a good thing?  I disagree, nothing is more frustrating than wandering around an area looking for the objective and having to fight the same enemies over and over and over.  I want to kill them, grab my thing, check my loot, and leave.  Spawn rates should adjust based on the population in the area.

The rifts are annoying as hell.  Right in the middle of your nice questing area, a rift pops up with horns and messages telling you to go fight it off.  Fine!  I will!  Okay, now that that's done, I'll continue questing.  What!?  Another rift!?  Uhhggg!  That's too many too soon.  It's not interesting when you see it ever 2 minutes from level 10 up.

Oh, and the pets?  What if I don't want an ugly pig thing?  Too bad!  What do you think this is, World of Warcraft?  Well sorry, but we're not in Azeroth anymore...

I miss Azeroth.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

While I agree with many of the primitive "first impression" assessments of the OP, I have a huge problem with her post.  She has virtually zero experience with the game, far less than the majority of beta testers, and she's using her power as a writer for this site to influence other MMO players.  She's in a position of power where, unlike most posters on forums, what she has to say will be heard by many.  Whether intended or not, she's comes of as campaigning for a game she has little credibility to campaign for while simultaneously campaigning against another game.  

In any other circumstance, others would criticize creating an official "review-like" post for being way too premature.  Play the game thoroughly before you post something official and try to convince others to leave one game for another.  Until then, you're certainly entitled to express your evolving opinion of the game, but it's got to be just that and nothing more.  And it must be done as an average poster comment, not as a decree from a position of power.  

• WaltandrianWaltandrian Member UncommonPosts: 23

Holy dang. Thats a lot of comments. But personally I don't think that RIFT is a WoW replacement, Its two sides of the same coin really. People have been saying "THIS IS GONNA BE DA WOW KILLA!!#!!!!!" Ever since they started making mmo's to try and take WoW's place as the best themepark mmo, RIFT has a long ways to go before I even consider it as a possible "WoW Killer".

You only have one life. Are you living it the way you should?

As for a challenge, the role system offers way more variety and ability to get the most amount of players involved in running an instance than WoW does.  Way more.  WoW you're looking for a specific class of which there's almost a dozen to choose from.  In Rift you have four callings and that's it.  

First off, this has nothing do with challenge.

Secondly, Rifts system does not allow more people to get involved.  You need tank, healer 3 dps vs tank, healer, 2dps and support.  Both cases you need 5 people, and you are limited by the people that want to play tank and healer.  Just because more 'classes' can tank in Rift does not mean more people want to tank.  

Its just as hard to get a Rift group together, if not harder.

Actually not at all the same thing.  Example:  I'm a warlock:  I will always have a pet and will always do some type of varying DOT damage.  Not the same thing.  I am a Mage I can have a pet, I can heal, I can CC and/or I can do single/AoE DPS.  Options of what I can do vary based on my build.  In WoWs system I must spend all my points in one focus of one selection of tree with a little variance.  Acknowledgement of to a 'lesser extent' is more severe than you let on.

Right, a few classes arent that different with their specs.  Although not all warlocks are heavily DoT dependant and the three trees play quite a bit differently.   Warlocks however can do everything you listed except heal.  There are heavy pet builds, heavy single target builds, heavy AoE capability, and CC abilities as well.  So, they cant heal.  But then Rift doesn't have a class that can play like a rogue and change to a healer like WoW does.

First off, this has nothing do with challenge.

Yes it does

Secondly, Rifts system does not allow more people to get involved.  You need tank, healer 3 dps vs tank, healer, 2dps and support.  Both cases you need 5 people, and you are limited by the people that want to play tank and healer.  Just because more 'classes' can tank in Rift does not mean more people want to tank.  

That's true, but tanking is the setup for playing a traditional MMO.  Some tanks are better suited for certain situations than other tanks.  All tanks can handle the content though.  It's what people are comfortable with vs. what people can do.  This will be true for any game that isn't a single player game.

Its just as hard to get a Rift group together, if not harder.

It's easier to get a group in WoW because it's cross-server.  I like that Rift isn't that way and think the game is better off for it.  Other than that issue, it's easier for players to get groups in Rift - if they're flexible.