Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: The WoW Replacement?

15678911»

Comments

• gsgalaxygsgalaxy Member UncommonPosts: 7

Rift is no replacement for WoW ... The same goes for WoW - it's not a replacement for Rift - or Age of Conan - or LoTRO - or , or , or ...

Each of those games is somehow unique and can't be replaced by any other game. If i like a game to play, i play it, for a short or a longer time, depending on if i feel like to play. I've played WoW in the beta and then about 2 years after the start, then i stopped to play it. At that time i've had about 15 chars and NONE of it reached the level cap at the time - 60 it was i believe. And why not ??  Easy - because i liked to play and test all the different races, sides and classes and didn't care at all to reach the level cap with any of those chars - as long as i had fun to play. I remember those crazy gamers, who went from zero to level 60 in no time, say about 2 weeks, well and then what they did is they kept doing raid after raid or running through the same ini's for many hours and many times, over and over ... This gameplay i didn't care about and definitely didn't have to time for - because real life stuff comes first (going to work, stuff to do at home for and with the family and the home and more ...). So many hour long ini runs where out of question for me. In WoW you reach each level cap and the things to do now real quick, too - i know it from people still playing it ... and if you're not into ini runs and raids - that's it - besides you believe, you HAVE to get this or that item and so on ... It's allways the same - it doesn't matter to me, if the quest looks like, you play a little Indiana Jones style or so, like in WoW, or just kill 10 mobs and get the XP ... in the basics it's still XP grinding - doesn't matter, what you do ...

So i enjoyed gameplay for the time I've had - and that's it. I didn't make WoW a part of my life, like some people seem to do (can't live without it anymore ... seems like ??!! ). For me it was a nice game, a nice experience and fun at the time. But after those 2 years i wanted to see and play different stuff and later on i didn't care about the addons Wrath and Crusade either - WoW was done for me. 

With each online game i've played for a certain time, i've had my fun time, but i didn't rely on it as a real important part of my life - it isn't an important part of life - it's just colorful moved pixels in a computer. If the game servers will be switched off in the future and the game really ends - mmh ... all you've worked for many hours, days, month, years - all those quests you did, all the special equipment you've got - all the at the time GREAT 'achievements' you've reached ... it will be all gone and erased and down the drain !

As long as i have fun playing for a certain time (the time i have to spend on them) in all those games, it doesn't matter, if it's called WoW, Rift, LoTRO and all the likes AND experiencing something new all the time (an add-on in a game isn't something new for me - it's still the same game ... ), that's good enough for me, because i don't make it a life-depending part out of it ...

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Moirae

Originally posted by Deathofsage

Originally posted by ichimarunico

Originally posted by Manchine

Personally, I have say I am liking RIFT.  I got a 7 day pass and I will be buying Rift because of that. 

Rift is so much better then WoW.  Since Warcraft is just a copy of Warhammer.  WoW never appealed to me much.  The only thing WoW has better then Rift is number of levels.

Give it a month. That's the mistake this author made. She gave it a free trial and is crying its praises.

As did every reviewer of beta basically.

Yes, they did. A good example of a beta is if they only allow beta weekends. A few hours or a few days is NOT a good way to decide a game is wonderful.

Well, not all of us :P

Despite having followed it for over a year, when no one gave a crap about Heroes of Telara, by halfway through Beta 4 I called this game out for what it was and predicted even the most casual player would get around 6 weeks out of it and then it would be in trouble. I got flamed to hell and back for my efforts.

The funny thing is though ALL the reasons I gave for this were hated on by the beta fans, but now the forum is full of people, most of them who had attacked/ flamed/ reported me 'for being overly negative' (yep, this was the reason given) around that time, now saying exactly the same things.

ahh well.

But on topic... WoW replacement? lol no, no game losing subs like Rift is is a replacement for anything.

Rift is a place holder game at best. The Nameds havent arrived yet.

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

Title of this thread just makes me think MMO gamers are drug addicts. Rift: The Heroin Replacement. Man that would work for a B movie title as well.

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

• SeffrenSeffren Member Posts: 743

Originally posted by vesavius

Personally, I have say I am liking RIFT.  I got a 7 day pass and I will be buying Rift because of that. 

Rift is so much better then WoW.  Since Warcraft is just a copy of Warhammer.  WoW never appealed to me much.  The only thing WoW has better then Rift is number of levels.

Give it a month. That's the mistake this author made. She gave it a free trial and is crying its praises.

Yes, they did. A good example of a beta is if they only allow beta weekends. A few hours or a few days is NOT a good way to decide a game is wonderful.

Despite having followed it for over a year, when no one gave a crap about Heroes of Telara, by halfway through Beta 4 I called this game out for what it was and predicted even the most casual player would get around 6 weeks out of it and then it would be in trouble. I got flamed to hell and back for my efforts.

The funny thing is though ALL the reasons I gave for this were hated on by the beta fans, but now the forum is full of people, most of them who had attacked/ flamed/ reported me 'for being overly negative' (yep, this was the reason given) around that time, now saying exactly the same things.

ahh well.

But on topic... WoW replacement? lol no, no game losing subs like Rift is is a replacement for anything.

I'm a casual player and just got to lvl 50.

Not bored one sec and way passed your 6 weeks.

Does that make you a lier or does that make me more casual then the people you were talking about?

Either way .. you were wrong.

• NobadeeftwNobadeeftw Member UncommonPosts: 129

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

The article writer/reviewer only played 2 evenings and didn't try PVP or dungeon instances?!?!?!  This is the type of article that would be understandable the week of launch but seriously, the game has been out for months now and a review by somebody who barely scratched the surface at this point just seems odd.

They should have had this new writer's first article be on something she had more experience on, such as her current problems with WoW or something.  It does come across as a piece of PR for Rift, although I am not accusing the writer of that but it certainly reads that way as an earlier poster implied.

But to the point of the article, both WoW and Rift are tired and stale, so if you still like WoW then Rift could be a replacement.  But I actually found WoW much more fluid, fast paced, fun, and interesting than Rift (I played Rift beta) but I wouldn't recommend either game to anybody at this point to be honest...

You can't MAKE someone like something that doesn't appeal to them.  Whether someone plays a game for 1 hour or 10,000 hours isn't going to change a thing.  If you like the game, go you; but, if you are looking for a detailed analysis on why a person doesn't like something, than you're being rediculous.  When it comes to opinions people are going to choose to listen or not listen to people they know, those details don't really matter.

I find people defending their new favorite toy a bit pointless; because, in most cases about a month later they have either lost interest in it or they finally stopped caring about what everyone else thinks about it.

• Wookiee6648Wookiee6648 Member Posts: 131

no..... just no.

• NobadeeftwNobadeeftw Member UncommonPosts: 129

Originally posted by Erstok

Title of this thread just makes me think MMO gamers are drug addicts. Rift: The Heroin Replacement. Man that would work for a B movie title as well.

Ha ha, I laughed that that; it's true though.  Gamers get attached to their favorite titles like a new girlfriend or a boyfriend.  It's a little disturbing when you look at it like that.  I wonder how many relationships have been lost from video games, because their real life significant other didn't care much for the video game the other person was playing.  

"How dare you talk about my game like that, we're over"!

I'm betting it's a big number.

• HamlethHamleth Member Posts: 26

No it's not. Rift is only a wow lite, with 2010 graphics. Rifts : fun on beta but as we 're not enough on servers, they are now really easy to close, even with 1 or 2 players. 

When you reach lvel 50 you understand Rift has NOTHING to propose, only farming pvp and pve; for stuff. No RVR no housing no RP even on RP servers, easiest pve i've played, and probably the worst pvp made. 

War and Wow seems brilliant when I play Rift...

Forget Rift and play old school games as EQ DAOC or SWG. 

Next gen mmos are old mmos.

Actual mmos are wow likes with new graphics, no more no less.

Originally posted by Seffren

ahh well.

Does that make you a lier or does that make me more casual then the people you were talking about?

Well, I can take your word for that, Mr Anon of the internet with his own agenda, or I can look at the current state of the game's falling pop and the overwhelming weight of feeling on these boards (amongst others).

Forgive me if I fall on the side of not taking your word for it. :)

• ZoulzZoulz Member Posts: 477

It wasn't a Wow replacement for me at least. :)

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Replacement? It could be, depending on what what you seek from endgame- the PvE endgame is virtually identical and likely easier.

If you liked WotLK and were turned off by Cata, Rift might be for you.

• SeffrenSeffren Member Posts: 743

Originally posted by Seffren

ahh well.

Well, I can take your word for that, Mr Anon of the internet with his own agenda, or I can look at the current state of the game's falling pop and the overwhelming weight of feeling on these boards (amongst others).

Forgive me if I fall on the side of not taking your word for it. :)

Current state of the failing pop? Related to what? WOW? Hmmm ...

Overwhelming weight of feeling on these boards? Meening the sentiments of disgruntled old farts who still get wet dreams thinking about a game they played gazillion years ago? Right.

And for taking my word on that ... Yes I'm just barely 50, because I took my time and don't feel the need to rush to endgame ... But then again I'm not an elitist gamer, I don't know how to rush ... thank God.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

ahh well.

Not everyone. I was saying the same thing you were within by the second beta. Heck, even one of my friends who was an avid defender dropped the game the month after it came out. He had a six month account so its valid till July but he says he hasn't played in two weeks. I'm starting to wonder why I have an account when I'm playing once a week. Rift is only what people play until the next thing comes out. 

ahh well.

Not everyone. I was saying the same thing you were within by the second beta. Heck, even one of my friends who was an avid defender dropped the game the month after it came out. He had a six month account so its valid till July but he says he hasn't played in two weeks. I'm starting to wonder why I have an account when I'm playing once a week. Rift is only what people play until the next thing comes out. 

hehe yeah, sorry, your right. There was a small handful of peeps who called it, and were ripped to shreds for doing so. Sorry bout that :)

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ReckinyardsReckinyards Member Posts: 8

Rift will not replace WOW, end of story

• KillyoxKillyox Member CommonPosts: 424

Originally posted by bujko

1:WOW

2:Rift

This is the truth , wow story is more interesting than the story of Rift >okey cool graphic , cool character custamization, but who cares,but the best game is still comming out :D GW2

fixed,

GW2>swtor , mark my words:>

• draconis666draconis666 Member UncommonPosts: 6

RIFT is a WoW replacement for me, but WoW is a replacement for other games. I've been waiting for a game to be good enough to replace Earth & Beyond since they took it offline. It was my favorite MMO so far.

I'm hoping that SWToR is that replacement. STO is fun, but not the replacement for E&B I was hoping for.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Let's avoid personal arguments guys, thanks!

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

Nope, because it's not holding on to it's players.  No stable community no MMO, sorry.  This will be another Age of conan.

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458

Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by mbd1968

I agree with your point on alt playabilty, I was refering to end-game content. WoW had one 10 man raid UBRS and 4 or 5 5-man dungeons. No tiered content at all. 

Onyxia and Molten Core were fully implemented 3 weeks before WoWs launch.

Its funny that Ive had to correct 3 Rift supporters on this exact thing in the past week. Is there some Rift newsletter floating around where it gives Rift fans misinformation to spread about WoW and other MMOs to make Rift seem better?

Ive done endgame in WoW at launch and in every expansion and Ive donr Rift's endgame.

There is no comparison. Rift's endgame is easy and terrible. WotLK level easy and terrible. It doesnt matter that Rift has more endgame than WoW did at launch if its not better in any way.

I will correct you on this now, if you bother to do some hard research you will notice that molten core was not accessible until 3-4 months after launch. It was certainly programmed in according to official blizzard information but was not accessible at all at launch.

• ScarrenScarren Member Posts: 87

some hard reasearch :P

wow was released 23 november 2004, first boss in molten core was killed 20 january (  http://www.sk-gaming.com/content/16397-WoW_world_first_list ),that is just short of 2 months.

going through patch notes (http://www.wowwiki.com/Patches/1.x) i cant see any indication that molten core was not accessible,I see that there was some molten core bugs fixed in patch 1.3.0,march 7th (http://www.wowwiki.com/Patch_1.3.0), is this what you meant by not accessible?

• RaikoLivesRaikoLives Member Posts: 89

Originally posted by Nobadeeftw

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

The article writer/reviewer only played 2 evenings and didn't try PVP or dungeon instances?!?!?!  This is the type of article that would be understandable the week of launch but seriously, the game has been out for months now and a review by somebody who barely scratched the surface at this point just seems odd.

They should have had this new writer's first article be on something she had more experience on, such as her current problems with WoW or something.  It does come across as a piece of PR for Rift, although I am not accusing the writer of that but it certainly reads that way as an earlier poster implied.

But to the point of the article, both WoW and Rift are tired and stale, so if you still like WoW then Rift could be a replacement.  But I actually found WoW much more fluid, fast paced, fun, and interesting than Rift (I played Rift beta) but I wouldn't recommend either game to anybody at this point to be honest...

You can't MAKE someone like something that doesn't appeal to them.  Whether someone plays a game for 1 hour or 10,000 hours isn't going to change a thing.  If you like the game, go you; but, if you are looking for a detailed analysis on why a person doesn't like something, than you're being rediculous.  When it comes to opinions people are going to choose to listen or not listen to people they know, those details don't really matter.

I find people defending their new favorite toy a bit pointless; because, in most cases about a month later they have either lost interest in it or they finally stopped caring about what everyone else thinks about it.

THIS!

I am enjoying Rift and I feel that, for me, it IS a a "WoW Replacement" because I hate hate HATE the lore/story/world/graphics/design of that damn game but the mechanics of the game are good enough to bring me back every few months. I just enjoy how EASY it is to play WoW. Now, with Rift "borrowing" much of that gameplay, adding NEW lore, better graphics, stylish design and an almost infinite number of class/soul combinations for us Altaholics, it'll be my go-to MMO for many months to come. Its JUST as grindy as I've ever found WoW to be, and while Cata brought about some neat changes and quests, I've enjoyed more of the conversations in Rift than I have in WoW. As the patches/expansions come and the world gets expanded it'll be even better. More races would be nice too. But for now its like playing the Harry Potter or Star Trek versions of Monopoly. They're very similar in terms of gameplay, but if you don't like Hogwarts and you like Klingons, your choice is easy.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

As the patches/expansions come and the world gets expanded it'll be even better. .

Careful what you wish for, from most threads I've gone through WoW got worse through time (contrary to what you feel according to the post)