Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In game Mafia run Dice ring?

headenheaden Member UncommonPosts: 229

Not sure if anyone caught this little gem of a story or not but I thought it was pretty damn interesting.

http://forum.tip.it/topic/294067-player-mods-ethics-and-dicing/

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

given the average age of Runescape players.. i would have to say that the whole illegal gambling thing and encouraging minors to participate in activities that are not compatable with their age groups .. is totally contemptible.. if anything this would be a major red flag for any parent to stop their children playing the game.image

• headenheaden Member UncommonPosts: 229

Hmm, I didn't really even consider the age side of this till you mentioned it. Seems odd this exists considering that quite a large sum of the Runescape player base is probably underage (at least in the US).

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

The majority of those participating in and promoting  gambling and scamming are underaged.

I really wish they would remove gambling spam from public chat. Either they need to designate an area for those games, and any advertising of such should be restricted to those areas, resulting in a mute if they advertise elsewhere in game, or nerf them all together. They could realistically set up a gambling area like staking at the duel arena and solve the problem and still allow gambling without the scam issue. Staking is gambling on fights, if they wish to gamble on other games they could expand the game room to allow safe betting and add more games.

You do not see spam for duel arena in every town even though it is allowed in game, I think it would have the same effect if they expanded the game room.

As for in game Mafia's. That one looked like a joke. Wanna be in game mafia who don;t have a clue how to operate. They even threw their mod muscle under the bus.. LMAO!

I could give them pointers on how the mafia is run, but I certainly would not want to give those losers anything that would benefit them in any way. image

• b2i12b2i12 Member Posts: 75

I read through the article and got a few laughs.  Seems to me some twelve years found a way to make 50k an hour and think their amazing. 

Also, the whole "gambling" is not really an issue.  Since there is not cash out option through Runescape.com and it is strictly against the rules to take in game money and sell it.  As far as the law goes, Runescape, is doing nothing wrong.

Originally posted by b2i12

I read through the article and got a few laughs.  Seems to me some twelve years found a way to make 50k an hour and think their amazing. 

Also, the whole "gambling" is not really an issue.  Since there is not cash out option through Runescape.com and it is strictly against the rules to take in game money and sell it.  As far as the law goes, Runescape, is doing nothing wrong.

For now, but if those pushing taxation of  virtual assets get their way by assigning a real world value to all in game activity, we could be looking at paying taxes on the value of our accounts in the future. This is not a joke. I wish it were. They have been working  on this for a few years now.

http://news.cnet.com/IRS-taxation-of-online-game-virtual-assets-inevitable/2100-1043_3-6140298.html

http://www.juliandibbell.com/articles/taxpayer-advocate-service-remarks-on-virtual-worlds/

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by deviliscious

For now, but if those pushing taxation of  virtual assets get their way by assigning a real world value to all in game activity, we could be looking at paying taxes on the value of our accounts in the future. This is not a joke. I wish it were. They have been working  on this for a few years now.

http://news.cnet.com/IRS-taxation-of-online-game-virtual-assets-inevitable/2100-1043_3-6140298.html

http://www.juliandibbell.com/articles/taxpayer-advocate-service-remarks-on-virtual-worlds/

even ignoring that whole RMT issue.. which tbh.. i would consider a seperate issue anyway.. gambling.. is just that.. whether its for virtual items/cash or not.. so i don't really see how you can consider that it is legal.. it might well be something of a grey area.. but.. i would be very surprised if it wasnt illegal for players below a certain age range to take part in.. and if Runescape did set aside a certain area for this activity.. it would mean that they authorise that behaviour.. which would affect the age rating of the game to change.. and be modified to 18+ ..   .. as for Runescape being complicit in these activities.. i doubt it.. as i doubt they are ignorant of the law in this regard.. thats not to say that there arent Runescape employees who are... but i would hope they are doing so without the knowledge/permission of Jagex etc..  bearing in mind the crime appears to be aimed at minors.. and all that entails..its entirely probably that sentencing on a guilty conviction of such activities.. would be more than just a fine.. i would expect a custodial sentance..image

• Xero_ChanceXero_Chance Member Posts: 519

They might as well start imposing taxes on every game of Monopoly too, because that's the same concept.

It'll never happen. Some old and senile republicans might be pushing for it because they don't know how to computer, but it'll never pass.

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

It is legal( at least in Texas) to "gamble" as long as the prize is not cash. IE you can win points which can be exchanged for items such as a stuffed animal etc and by gambling it would entail an electronic type machine that takes tokens and sometimes cash and randomly spits out numbers that might give you a prize such as points which is then used to "buy" an item.

In this context setting aside the age issue any gambling being done in a virtual environment involving a random number generator in which the prize is something that can not be converted legally into cash(IE virtual money that is only good inside a virtial world that has no legal value) is legal.

In a virtual environment there is no way to verify an age at this point in time and so that part of the legal equation can not be solved, however, since you are not technically gambling I do not think age is a factor. Consider an establishment like chucky cheese where kids play games to gather tickets to buy items with. Some of those games are games of chance and would fall under the category of gambling but legal so long as the payout is not cash.

All in all the laws on gambling are overly complex and hypocritical and favor specific people in specific industries while limiting everyone else.

So my 2 cents is that so long as the virtual money has no legal real world cash value the "gambling" is a legal game of chance in which the winnings are the equivalent of a watch of stuffed bunny rabbit. I say legal real world value due to the fact that in most games it is illeagle/against the EULA to sell your characters or any virtual item for real world money, however, we all know how well that is enforced so the winnings do have some real world value, however, so do the items the game stores give out as "winnings".

• HewraHewra Member UncommonPosts: 24

As far as my knowlege goes, Im pretty sure that the ppl running the game owns every pixel in it.

The player only owns the right to play, and if the "man" wants to he can take your sh*t whenever he wants.

so the game companies are the ones that gonna take that bullet,  if it ever happens.

Originally posted by Phry

even ignoring that whole RMT issue.. which tbh.. i would consider a seperate issue anyway.. gambling.. is just that.. whether its for virtual items/cash or not.. so i don't really see how you can consider that it is legal.. it might well be something of a grey area.. but.. i would be very surprised if it wasnt illegal for players below a certain age range to take part in.. and if Runescape did set aside a certain area for this activity.. it would mean that they authorise that behaviour.. which would affect the age rating of the game to change.. and be modified to 18+ ..   .. as for Runescape being complicit in these activities.. i doubt it.. as i doubt they are ignorant of the law in this regard.. thats not to say that there arent Runescape employees who are... but i would hope they are doing so without the knowledge/permission of Jagex etc..  bearing in mind the crime appears to be aimed at minors.. and all that entails..its entirely probably that sentencing on a guilty conviction of such activities.. would be more than just a fine.. i would expect a custodial sentance..image

The Duel Arena has allowed game sponsored gambling on pvp fights forever, so I am not seeing how adding other forms of gambling would be any different. Runescape has even allowed players they are admittedly underaged and can only use quick chat to gamble via duel arena.

Originally posted by Xero_Chance

They might as well start imposing taxes on every game of Monopoly too, because that's the same concept.

It'll never happen. Some old and senile republicans might be pushing for it because they don't know how to computer, but it'll never pass.

Actually it isn;t Republicans pushing it, it is Democrats because they want to increase tax revenues by any means possible. The Republicans are actually opposing this, as well as other tax increases. LOL

Democrats see this taxation as necessary in order to keep vital programs. Not sure why you would direct this at Republicans since they instead propose to cut vital programs and force the government to operate on less revenue.

There is a difference between monopoly games and MMORPG's. First and foremost, Virtual trading has now boomed into a multi billion dollar industry, and the governments, not just in the United States, want their share.

Second, Trading of virtual goods is actively impacting the redistribution of wealth through international borders. The United States is a huge consumer of virtual goods. Many Americans purchase items from gold sellers, 3rd party RMT, as well as from developer sponsored RMT, thus shifting wealth out of the nation through these channels, rather than reinvesting it in their communities.

When these things happen in Monopoly, you can then compare the two.