Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About this game

I am very interested in this game and have been checking back in it for around 2 years. Now I see (without the great and terrible fanfare I was expecting :)) that it is out.

I was an old school SWG launch player and heard the gameplay of this is very similar. What I want to know is if this game is worth the entry cost. I have been burned on too many promises from developers lately and just want to skip it if it will happen again.

And I want only real constructive responses from people who actually play or gave the game a real shot. If you played the beta for 45 minutes I don't want to hear from you.

Comments

• MorbidCurioMorbidCurio Member Posts: 127

I dunno if it helps, but you probably have a pretty good indication of how things are going.

It was a quiet release. Usually a bad sign. More negative than positive reviews from players....on and on and on.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

I get the sense that it is a good game with a 'foundation' that is promising, but not quite fleshed-out with an organic player and community cooperative enabled competitive nor meaningful sustainable content yet.

I've been one that has been subtly interested in this title also, but without the devs optimisim for marketing it, not implementation of purpose, meaning or value to player-involved game-play beyond crafting and meaningless combative pvp, I'm currently keeping my distance.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

I been here since early beta and sadly the devs do not care or just are not smart or have any idea what is going on, the game is dead and going down hill, I have not seen a single person in game in over a month I just quit today.

I would wait to see if people return and to see if they care about there game or not in the next 6 months if its still online.

• M4koM4ko Member Posts: 385

i suggest not to put your hopes into waht devs (most likely only one dev) say about the possible future, he (dev) has promised  many things and throughout the past 2 years has delivered about 20% of what he promised, so dont expect the future to be any better, he will promise this and that and will deliver a very small portion of it. Only reason why i post this is that ive been majorly burned by expected prospects of this game that were never delivered, and will continue to post negative reviews untill i get tired, and what i say is pure truth without any exaggeration or predisposition. I really hate doing this to those players who really want this game to get on its feet, but I despise those (devs) who lie about pretty much everything theyve said.

P.S.  and 45 minutes of gameplay you mentioned is enough to know what this game is about. There are games that you play and get turned off by something right at the start, but continue to play for a week or two to see if it gets any better, but in ER you get turned off by EVERYTHING except the nice looking natural environment, not he architecture, and nice bg music. THus 45 minutes was enough for many to realize how badly this game was put together. I followed it for 2 years and played the actual game for 3 days. 

• CavadusCavadus Member UncommonPosts: 707

For starters this game has absolutely nothing in common with PreCU.  The gameplay itself is absolutely nothing like PreCU.  In fact, if anything it's pretty much the combat system the NGE used when it first launched.

I personally detest RPG combat so I'm cool with that and prefer the manual aiming, fewer abilities, and faster TTKs but if you like RPG tab-to-target stuff and aren't into shooters then you're not going to like ER.

No, the game is not worth the cost of entry.  The best advice I can give you is to check back in six to twelve months.,

• shaganarshaganar Member Posts: 6

Is this game dead? There are more recents posts on this forum than the official games forums...

I'm familiar with ER having done some beta testing and followed the game. It just seems eirily dead on the ER forums. No posts newer than yesterday.

• ApegApeg Member Posts: 91

Originally posted by shaganar

Is this game dead? There are more recents posts on this forum than the official games forums...

I'm familiar with ER having done some beta testing and followed the game. It just seems eirily dead on the ER forums. No posts newer than yesterday.

No, the game is not dead, people are playing it and advancing their characters. I guess there will be a trial soon, which will boost the sales.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Originally posted by Apeg

No, the game is not dead, people are playing it and advancing their characters. I guess there will be a trial soon, which will boost the sales.

A MMO with some maximum of 200 players active is totally dead imho. No trial will change that.

Originally posted by Yalexy

A MMO with some maximum of 200 players active is totally dead imho. No trial will change that.

200?  If only.  Once subs went active I reckon the playerbase probably dropped down to 30-50 people.  We maybe had 200 when the game was still free.

:-(

• SoulsurvivorSoulsurvivor Member Posts: 5

The setting is pretty good. Can't wait walk around !

I looked at the official forums today. Though the game seems to be improving the little things seem to be killing the player base. Things like:

• Lack of proper communication on patches. 

• Patches fixing one thing but breaking much more.

• Bugs that are 90% fixed (which is not fixed at all).

• Not telling people when subscriptions will start, but then requiring subs for login.

The last thing that bugs me is they closed their forums to people who have bought the game (not players only). I think this was a bad move and it's hurt more than helped them.

When I Beta tested, the only thing I enjoyed was exploring the environment. I didn't like the combat, nor the level based skill system. However, the terrain environment is very cool! It's too bad that they moved away from the system they were advertising on their original forums. Maybe they couldn't make it work right? I don't know. It seems they changed their minds on how they wanted the game to be and simply never told anyone.

For me in beta the game was playable and I enjoyed it. But I could not justify spending $50 to play it . So I watched the forums to see how progress is coming along. It looks like they've fixed some of the issues with the game and are on their way to make it better. Though it's still missing much of it's core advertised content like monster mines...

I'm not wanting to troll... Just share my thoughts in what I am seeing.

Mogeley

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

A great concept made by inexperienced developers without enough money. Same problem with Mortal Online. MMORPG's are a difficult type of game to make.

I'm not a dev by any means but if anyone reading this is an aspiring one, your 1st game should not be an MMO. It should be maybe your 10th lol.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• ApegApeg Member Posts: 91

• Lack of proper communication on patches. 

• Patches fixing one thing but breaking much more.

• Bugs that are 90% fixed (which is not fixed at all).

• Not telling people when subscriptions will start, but then requiring subs for login.

The last thing that bugs me is they closed their forums to people who have bought the game (not players only). I think this was a bad move and it's hurt more than helped them.

For me in beta the game was playable and I enjoyed it. But I could not justify spending $50 to play it . So I watched the forums to see how progress is coming along. It looks like they've fixed some of the issues with the game and are on their way to make it better. Though it's still missing much of it's core advertised content like monster mines...

I'm not wanting to troll... Just share my thoughts in what I am seeing.

Mogeley

No, you are not trolling at all, I wish everyone on those forums was like you, unfortunately too many people are coming here saying 1 unjustified sentence against Earthrise and most of them are not even playing the game, their experience is based on beta and February state of the game. Here is what I think:

"Lack of proper communication on patches." – I don’t agree, they post updates every Monday. If a patch is coming, they always say what players can expect in the patch

"Patches fixing one thing but breaking much more. " - Agree, although "much more" is too strong to say. I would say fixing one thing and breaking another, mostly regression problems

"Bugs that are 90% fixed (which is not fixed at all)." – What are those bugs? Never found such

"Not telling people when subscriptions will start, but then requiring subs for login." – Subscriptions were supposed to start in April, and they gave almost another month free. What more can you ask for?

"The last thing that bugs me is they closed their forums to people who have bought the game (not players only). I think this was a bad move and it's hurt more than helped them." – Age of Conan forums are open only for active players (subscribers). I don’t see anything wrong here, if they let all trolls posting there, the forums will turn into trash

"For me in beta the game was playable and I enjoyed it. But I could not justify spending $50 to play it . So I watched the forums to see how progress is coming along. It looks like they've fixed some of the issues with the game and are on their way to make it better. Though it's still missing much of it's core advertised content like monster mines..."

You are correct, a lot of issues are fixed and the game is much better at the moment. You are also correct that some advertised features are missing such as vehicles, sieges and monster mines, but the game right now is very fun and I like the combat and the skill based system, crafters also like the crafting system. When the missing features are added, Earthrise will be one of the best sandbox MMOs out there.

Originally posted by Apeg 

You are correct, a lot of issues are fixed and the game is much better at the moment. You are also correct that some advertised features are missing such as vehicles, sieges and monster mines, but the game right now is very fun and I like the combat and the skill based system, crafters also like the crafting system. When the missing features are added, Earthrise will be one of the best sandbox MMOs out there.

Then maybe some of you that like the game should use the official forums, instead of here (unless you are a dev and you are trying to make your game look good). The official forums make the game look like death. Even many of the hard core fans that have followed the game for years are bailing. Like Cavadus and Kole...

What I am reporting is based on what I see the players reporting. The number of posts per day. When I check the forums and there are only a few posts each day. It tells me one of two possibilities. 1) Players are having a blast  or 2) players don't care about the game anymore. To my point of view it seems like #2

To answer your questions. Simply follow the link and read what the players are saying about the game themselves.

http://forum.play-earthrise.com/index.php?/forum/8-general-game-discussion/

I've been around many games before and seen how negatives forums can turn after launch. This doesn't seem like that. this is more like people screaming for the core functionality to be fixed. As some functions get fixed the player base is thankful and is usually quick to expose other issues.

It's nice to know that someone likes the game.

Most of what Apeg mentioned is true enough but the community is dead, barely anyone is playing the game, MHS is way the hell too slow with patches and optimizations and features, and, as shaganar pointed out, the game still lacks some of the most basic functionality.

In fact, the game runs so poorly that most people are driven away after just a few hours of suffering.  My guild, the 47th, hasn't maintained a single new player for longer then a week and all of them complain about the terrible performance of the game.

Maybe MHS can salvage this but I'm finally to the point where I believe they're simply too inexperienced to fix this game.  A good example is territorial warfare.  When I was in beta in January MHS was saying it was 90% done.  TW was supposed to be the central feature and motivator of the game of which nearly everything else revolves around.

Here we are almost four months post launch and it's still not even in sight.  Have they done some stuff in the meantime?  Yeah.  Much worth mentioning?  I guess if you think autostacking and fixing insane PvP exploits is worth mentioning as post-launch features...

And that aside MHS shoot themselves in the foot with nearly every patch as they're almost always plagued with game crippling bugs, one being so bad that after a patch they had to revert their database because one of the features/fixes corrupted it.  And then recently they just decided to turn on subscriptions without telling anyone beforehand.  Oh, but no worries for me because they started taking my money back in April just because I had entered payment information.  Subs started last week btw, lulz...

At best this game is still in a late alpha, early beta stage and I am not optimistic.

• AdunAdun Member UncommonPosts: 70

So Apeg and I are the same person? Is that by metaphysical link or what Cav?

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Let's avoid personal attacks and arguments guys, thanks!

Originally posted by Adun

So Apeg and I are the same person?

I thought so.  My mistake and I apologize.  The post has been edited.

• JothmeinJothmein Member Posts: 64

Well, darn!

Thanks for the info guys. No point in joining a game that is dead on arrival. Thank god I didn't bit this bullet after the Xsyon bullet.

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file