Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warning for those who had their personal info stolen from Sony

CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

I was one of the people who had my personal information stolen from Sony. I had received an email a week ago from Sony to confirm that my personal information was stolen. Of course Sony tries to pass it off as not a big deal, because it's just your first name, last name, phone number, etc.

No big deal right?

Wrong.

Since my personal info has been released, I've been starting to get scam phone calls to my home phone -- which is the number I had used to register for my Sony station account.

The scam is basically an automated message that claims that for a limited time only, you are eligible for an interest reduction on your credit card, and to press 9 if you want to speak to a live representative.

I personally hang up when I get these calls, but I have researched them, and if you do choose to speak to someone, they will try to convince you to tell them your credit card info.

These calls come from what seems like random numbers within North America, so even if you block one number they will just call from another.

To note again, I have never, ever, received one of these calls until the past few days, which leads me to strongly believe that this is related to my phone number having been leaked in the Sony hack.

So if you are one of those who had your personal info stolen from Sony, be prepared to get several annoying scam calls, as you're very likely now on a target list for credit card scammers.

Comments

• jado818jado818 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 356

Good info.. It helps people to know about specific scams that people use

I know most people think they would never fall for a phising type scam but you'd be surprised.

I've seen people give away their account information and name before and disappear for a few months from the game... either because they were tired or not paying attention.. so it can happen

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

There are also scammers who will call unsuspecting people claiming they are the bank investigating fraud and in order to do so, they claim to need a password or other identifying detail. Banks will not  call you and ask for any of this stuff over the phone. Often, they will have one piece of data like a name or email address or some kind of purchase and the call is to try to scam the rest.

It is advisable to look up common scams.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Originally posted by Amana

There are also scammers who will call unsuspecting people claiming they are the bank investigating fraud and in order to do so, they claim to need a password or other identifying detail. Banks will not  call you and ask for any of this stuff over the phone. Often, they will have one piece of data like a name or email address or some kind of purchase and the call is to try to scam the rest.

It is advisable to look up common scams.

This is the kind of thing that should be stickied in forums right now or given a spot on the front page. It may not relate to gaming but it is in the interest of a noticeable portion of this site's members.

Too many people would believe this and I almost can't blame them.

Callers in these scams will say something like

"Sir, this is Tasha from [x] and we're aware you've recently been the victim of a breach of your private data. We need to ascertain that this is legitimately you so, knowing the information of yours that was exposed, we need a different piece of information to match with our records. Would you please provide your SSN?"

You guys don't even have to say THE SKY IS FALLING, just that people should be wary of stray chunks of cloud.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• FeudalismFeudalism Member UncommonPosts: 67

Woah, this is very weird/concerning, as I believe the same thing has just happened to me, I will explain. I haven't subscribed to a SOE game for years, however, I did have an active EQ2 sub on and off around 2006-2007. Since I haven't been a SOE customer for a long time, all the buzz about Sony lately has flown under my radar, however, only about an hour ago this afternoon, a random long-distance number called my home and I let it go to the answering machine. It was an automated thing telling me I can lower my credit card interest rate etc and I need to follow the automated guide etc. I thought it was weird then I just came across this post here since I browse these forums a lot and couldn't resist commenting. I'm now concerned that my info from years ago was stolen. =/

• porkalatorporkalator Member Posts: 1

I've been getting these calls as well. They have random city names on the caller ID. I'll just keep ignoring them.

• YallanderYallander Member Posts: 1

Hello,

Based on what you shared there is no guarentee that this was related to the SOE event.  I work in the creditor industry and deal with idenity theft quite often.  Your number could of been provided to the company that called you as part of any selling/trading of personal information that happens between companies you do business.  Alot of the major cell phone companies do this as an additional source of refvenue.  Also any company can pay a major credit report agency to obtain specific demographic information regarding a target market. 

Don't believe this happens?  How do you think that you get all that "junk mail" regarding offers and credit cards?

While I agree there is reason to be upset.  I myself am tettering as a customer due to this matter.

They have offered free credit report protection service and I suggest that anyone who received that email enroll as it will update you on anything that occurs on your credit.  By the way there are alot more people looking at your credit than you might think, so you will want to monitor mostly for hard inquiries (applications for credit/loans) and not just the normal demographic requests. 

To opt out of those demographic offers you can go to www.optout.com or you can call 1888-5OPT-OUT.

Hope this is helpful for anyone else affected by this gross oversight on Sony's part.

--Yallander

PS--Just remembered something that I've been doing to keep my own information more personal.  I never give my correct DOB year with any website/forum/MMO I join.  The reason is that your DOB is one of the qualifying components for pulling your credit report for soft or hard inquiries.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Why to call your credit card issuer or even police when you can post it on internet forums...

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by Gdemami

Why to call your credit card issuer or even police when you can post it on internet forums...

I've already reported it to my government's anti-fraud centre.

I posted on these boards to inform other MMO gamers who have had their personal information stolen as well, due to the far too coincidental timing between when I started receiving these calls and when the Sony hack occured. I didn't fall for the scam, but I wanted to give a heads up to others who had their personal info stolen from Sony to be prepared if they start to get these calls as well, which it seems a few have.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Because he wants to warn other people so they're alert.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

I too have started to recieve weird calls since the sony scam and my family are on the private list.  I will never ever trust SOE again in my life no matter if they launch the best game in the world.  Luckily for me very few details about me are on my ps3 as I tend to purchase console games in stores.

• jado818jado818 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 356

Or do both?

Either way, by the time the "internet" police (FBI i think) get around to investigating random phone calls the people to be scammed will be scammed already.

This way people can at least know what to expect.

• FandinFandin Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Great. Glad my account had no real cc's on their payment info. All the poor shmuck who got my details got is a out-dated adress, phone number, and a list of pre-paid vanilla mastercards that only hold a postal code as info.

...I don't even put my real one in TBH.
  • SinellaSinella Member UncommonPosts: 343

I never give my real data when I sign up to a game. I'm surprised to see how many people give their private data away just like that...because a gaming company asks for it...a little paranoia is healthy. Don't trust them on the first place and you won't get disappointed.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Ceridith

I posted on these boards to inform other MMO gamers who have had their personal information stolen as well, due to the far too coincidental timing between when I started receiving these calls and when the Sony hack occured. I didn't fall for the scam, but I wanted to give a heads up to others who had their personal info stolen from Sony to be prepared if they start to get these calls as well, which it seems a few have.

It might be just me but whether your info was obtained from Sony leak or other source makes little difference and as such the information is unimportant.

Yet, as your posts demonstrate, you seem to be concerned about it more than, imo way more important, contacting authorities...

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I had not received any phone calls like this until yesterday.  I got 4 random ones.   The calls last night went as follows.  Hi were calling trying to help you reduce your credit card debt.  At what point I asked them who they are how they got my number as it is not on the national do not call list, all of them hung up when I asked that.

This morning got 2 new types of phone calls.  Both of them claiming to be from card member services.  Those two calls went as follows.  We recently noticed some strange charges on your credit card.  Oh I said, what charges. Then they said would you please confirm your credit card number.  My reply was, well your my credit card company right, you should have my card number.  Click.

So they did not get my credit card numbers from soe or I would be seeing charges by now,  but they sure did get my phone number and information.  I have life lock already, have had it for 2 years, so I will know if they try to open credit in my name.

All of the phone numbers I saw the past two days shows either all 9's or unknown in the caller id.

Just folks please be smart and don't fall for verify your credit card, trust me your bank/credit institution already knows that.  They never call and ask,  you have to call them.   If you get any calls ask them to identify themselves, or don't answer.  If you get a caller id you can go to www.fcc.gov and file a complaint.  And please don't give out your SSN, bank account number over the phone or any of your credit details, unless you know for sure you are talking to your bank. 

OH a side note be careful of email scams.  I already opened a new email account and changed all my banks info to point to the new email account.   Don't click the links even if you think they are really from your bank.  I have the bank sites saved in favorites in and go straight to them, never ever cl icky on those links you might not get to where your going or worse get key logged.

Just please be safe, I don't want anybody to suffer having their identity stolen.

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

That sucks, reminds me of the 90's fax machine and non toll free 1-800 numbers. People would advertise a business to help  people and when you called it you got a recording please stay on the line for the next representative, after 5 minutes and a charge of $3 a minute you end up with the charges on your telephone bill.  The fax machine scam was worse, people would call a non toll free number listed as toll free and get a fax machine which kept you on the line as it racked up charges of maximum by law back then was it $30 something a minute or something ridiculous. I hate phone scams.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

It might be just me but whether your info was obtained from Sony leak or other source makes little difference and as such the information is unimportant.

Yet, as your posts demonstrate, you seem to be concerned about it more than, imo way more important, contacting authorities...

I already stated that I've already reported it to the authorities, you even quoted me saying it.

Also, where my information was obtained from is important, because if my information was obtained from the Sony hack, then it means that other people who's information was taken from the Sony hack will also be targetted, which is why I have made a post warning others to be prepared.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

I was one of the people who had my personal information stolen from Sony. I had received an email a week ago from Sony to confirm that my personal information was stolen. Of course Sony tries to pass it off as not a big deal, because it's just your first name, last name, phone number, etc.

No big deal right?

Wrong.

Since my personal info has been released, I've been starting to get scam phone calls to my home phone -- which is the number I had used to register for my Sony station account.

The scam is basically an automated message that claims that for a limited time only, you are eligible for an interest reduction on your credit card, and to press 9 if you want to speak to a live representative.

I personally hang up when I get these calls, but I have researched them, and if you do choose to speak to someone, they will try to convince you to tell them your credit card info.

These calls come from what seems like random numbers within North America, so even if you block one number they will just call from another.

To note again, I have never, ever, received one of these calls until the past few days, which leads me to strongly believe that this is related to my phone number having been leaked in the Sony hack.

So if you are one of those who had your personal info stolen from Sony, be prepared to get several annoying scam calls, as you're very likely now on a target list for credit card scammers.

You cannot legitamitely say the cause of you getting those phone calls is leaked info from sony.  I have gotten calls like this for years on home, business and cell phone.  Actually I've gotten calls like this since before I had a credit card, or was involved with gaming.

Scammers, autodialers, advertisers, marketers... all use things like this. 

While the two may be related, it is very very possible that they are not.  If you didn't get the calls before Sony lost your info, well you got lucky.  An autodialer will eventually dial your number.

Venge

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Called it ..

It's already begun ,  everything will now be suspect as a result of Sony's breach ;  everything is now a result of the hackers selling our information... even those bloody wow phishing emails.

This is why Sony offered a year of Indentity protection ....  the backlash of the breach will be huge.

Incase it came across as to vague ,  the hackers could have every well sold the information to the phishing call centers. In which case they have screwed up .... paper trails and all.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I got an email from Sony as well, thank god I had my old phone number on my account(s). And so far no odd calls, haven't in several years.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Been getting these calls, too, but I think I got them before the SOE thing, as well.

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

lol even though i am pissed at SOE I also feel sorry for them b/c anyone who gets a phone call or email that we get everyday from scammers will be blamed on them for years to come.

"omfg i got an email from someone trying to sell me cheap online pharmaceuticals!!!.....SONY!!!!! !!!!! !!!!!"

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.