Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Video for Faxion: PvP MMO Heaven vs Hell

IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cXBlle3hNc&feature=player_embedded#at=784

It's made with the Hero Engine, the same engine used to make TOR.

These are indie devs. I'm not saying they didn't have any money, but I am saying they didnt' have Bioware money to make the game.

It's a F2P game, so if it looks interesting you can download it and play. Still in beta, so might have some bugs.

So how does a PvP game work with an item mall?

Well, at teh end of the video the developer says, you can buy anything in the game. But, you can also earn all that stuff without money.

So, all gear, all items, potions, etc., can be either purchased or you can grind for them, up to you.

Is that the way all F2P games work? Anyway, that's the way they are doing it.

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Ihmotepp

Well, at teh end of the video the developer says, you can buy anything in the game.

That's not what he said, Ihmotepp. :)

He said "We took the tactic of anything that you could buy is currently available in the game, with the exception of some vanity items."

The Korean grinders (yes, those primarily) aren't set up that way, as they often have items to increase success at tasks and other risk-reducers as Item Store only gear. Basically, they'll have certain crafting/enhancement mechanics with abysmally low success rates after the first two boosts, and the third or higher usually is only really worth doing if you paid cash for success items.

The PvE games will often have some gear that gives enhancements that are only available through the Item Store. Florensia does that although they are minor boosts. PvP-focused MMOs try to avoid cash only gear but occasionally they introduce something ridiculous that ticks off half the players and they inevitably remove it or nerf it. I can only imagine the insane amount of cash they made in the process, though. Sometimes asking forgiveness is much more lucrative than asking permission. :)

I'm not familiar with many MMO RTS that have cash only things that aren't cosmetic and, of the ones that do, the cash only stuff usually isn't necessary. LOCO, BLC, LoL and BattleSwarm all have cash only items but the game is perfectly playable without spending cash. LoL is amusing because it's such a competitive game and the biggest seller seems to be the skins (cosmetic).

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre