Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Runes of Magic right for me?

Harbinger1975Harbinger1975 Member UncommonPosts: 244

I've been debating playing Runes of Magic.  But I keep seeing all these different and not very helpful posts about what the game is like.  To help with answers:  I solo quite a bit.  I hate PvP.  Not so interested in end game, and I REALLY don't want to play a game where I have to pay for gear with real money.

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

Originally posted by misles

I've been debating playing Runes of Magic.  But I keep seeing all these different and not very helpful posts about what the game is like.  To help with answers:  I solo quite a bit.  I hate PvP.  Not so interested in end game, and I REALLY don't want to play a game where I have to pay for gear with real money.

Well RoM has a pretty hefty cash shop, and you can definately get the best gear from it. But it is perfectly possible to buy the cash shop money with in game gold, it just takes ALOT longer than putting in a credit card. When I played, I solo'd quite a bit, so it's possible.

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

It's F2P, just give it a shot. Typically leveling to the 30s (30/30) you won't have to spend any money. 

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• steelfinsteelfin Member UncommonPosts: 121

it's a F2p game.  Considering you're not planning to PvP or play endgame I guess it's sorta worth it.  Although, expect a lot of grinding cos you're attack is very low due to your non-statted gear.

• menasuremenasure Member Posts: 75

there's a difference between non-statted and 'dirty' statted gear. the dirty statted gear has 1-3 single -not all that great stats- out of 6 possible stats on an item and can be made without any real cash spending. the stones to make that can be bought from npc's reasonably cheap but they end up random so the main trouble is sorting the stones, which is easier if you use a couple of alts and sell the stones you don't need on the auctionhouse to guys who are also looking for that 'matching stone'. eventually you end up with a whole bank full of 2-stat fusion stones that way which makes you 'only' 40% less powerfull than someone who just uses cash shop purified fusionstones (without stats so you can combine with better multi-stats at will without any trouble)

it may sound horrible but 40% less powerfull is not as hard as you might think. the system ends up still viable way for instances up to lvl 52... the comparison players from groups make is usually what kills it for individuals: other players prefer more powerfull therefore cash shop heavy characters in their teams but you might be able to find some friendly souls who are willing to include you. and it's possible to use this f2p system to get to maximum level, if you skip the instances and if you get a helpfull hand here and there for some elites or world bosses!

later on in theory you can switch to a similar system where you kill elite mobs for random better dirty fusion stones ... well i can tell you to do this in any timely fashion you already need a strong cash shop character and the activity is just boring as hell for anyone.

however you can also buy fusion stones with mementos where those 1-2 value dirty stats are replaced with 3 8-10 predetermined value stats but the cost in time to get a hand of enough of those mememtos is horrible and again you do not end up as powerfull as the average cash shop spender... in theory it can lead you again through even higher level instances though, i've used it a bit myself. however i have not seen anyone in game who was crazy enough to keep that up ... so in general the lvl 55 instances is where real f2p players draw the line for the whole in game f2p system.

the hardcore ones then switch to grinding and help from paying in game friends to go even further but they'll nearly all end up relying on  cash shop items one way or another. the trouble is: the moment any of those friends starts throwing around some real cash again and the f2p player has to spend yet again a multitude of time to catch up with him again. it's a cycle of boredom which is repeated over and over.

that's why the cash shop kills this game: differences in power are one thing but eventually the game becomes so expensive in time and/or cash that it destroys the communities in game up to a point where only hardcore remains the norm... well that's not a healthy situation for a mmorpg which is supposed to appeal to a variety of players.

• ryapowaryapowa Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by Meltdown

It's F2P, just give it a shot. Typically leveling to the 30s (30/30) you won't have to spend any money. 

This is not true at all.. if you want to know when you should spend your money then i will tell you, endgame is when you SHOULD be spending your money. and since he is not looking towards endgame material (Which can also be free, using ingame money to trade for real life money) then he shouldnt be worried about using money. One of the best soloing classes is the battlemonk.. priest/warrior.. they can have very good physical defense.. very good magical defense.. very good physical attack, without even having to be well geared. my favorite is mage/priest.. i want to try mage/druid though.. but you dont need to spend a dime til endgame.. you can find ways to not spend a dime while doing endgame.. and thats why RoM is a F2P not a P2P

• DaduHulkDaduHulk Member UncommonPosts: 28

The OP is from May, so I would think you might have tried it by now, maybe. Here are some comments.

I like you don't care muh for PvP or end game. I like PvE and been entertained along the way. RoM has been very succesfull at that. At this point I have 4 toons, from typical warrior/scouts to a Mage/Druid. The dual class system does keep you busy with many skills.

For PvE, there are plenty of quests. I keep my quest list full (you can carry 30 at the same time) and when a zone dries up you move up to a new zone. Also, there are three "starter" zones so if you play them all you can level up your char quite a bit.

Re cash. The only thing I have bought is a mount (horse). An you CAN rent them with in-game tokens. But it takes 14 days of tokens to rent a 30 day mount so it gets old after a while. The mount really moves you around quite a bit and makes the travel in zones much better (there are transport runes for going between zones, which you can also get with in game tokens). So I spent like $20, got mounts for all 4 chars, and still have cash left for the store. $20 for 2 years of fun, not bad really. And you don't HAVE to, it was my choice.

For a F2P I think RoM delivers a lot. I like the chars, the story lines, etc. The comunity is quite large, but there ARE zones where getting a party together (for a hard instance or boss) is hard. Been part of a helpfull guild helps on that.

Complaints : technical, crashes. There are frequent updates but sometimes they introduce new bgs and the client crashes. It gets on your nerves to where I took a couple of months off at one time. On gameplay : be aware that bosses are waaaaayyy overpowered over the quest that got you there. So if a boss says L30 lets say, you better come back when you get to L40 or so. Or, get together a good party.

Hope all that helps. I still play, find it fun, but trying new things these days just for variety.

• ryapowaryapowa Member Posts: 8

IF you do want to buy diamonds, i suggest using zeevex. lets say you want to be $25 worth of diamonds... get 5 cards at $5 each. If you want $20 then 5 cards at $4.. the things you get from zeevex before you even get the diamonds.. (Adventurer's packages that come with tons of goodies, 5 golden repair hammers..10 transport runes..2 marking inks..5 exp/tp potions and 1 Big Angels Sigh, Neolithic Packages, drillers for equipment so you can add runes, 30-day mounts, and also furniture for your house that gives exp or maybe even tp bonuses).. and also not to mention that you should really only buy diamonds on those rare Double Diamond Weekends.. Considering bosses, join a guild and ask someone who can kill it to help you.. im sure plenty of people will help, even if you just ask zone.. PvP servers are extremely fun, as soon as you hit lvl 15 you can officially get PKed.. (Player Killed). WARNING: When you get PKed, there is a chance that the person who killed you can steal your gear!! When you are lvl 15+, you HAVE to join a guild so that if you get PKed you can ask a guildie to get revenge and teach that person not to PK you.. If you ever have any questions you can ask me ^_^ 

Ryasrevenge lvl 67/57/46 mage/priest/scout Palenque server

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

this game is for you if you have like 500+$ to spend!

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

are you european?or do you speak their langage ?yes then play on their server lot of player in europe