Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is "Runes of magic"

OligarhOligarh Member Posts: 48

Hi.

I decided to try out Runes of magic.

What do you think about it? Do you think that i'll enjoy it after i played couple years WoW?

Please rate it on a scale from 1 to 10.

Comments

• misfit7783misfit7783 Member Posts: 35

end game is completely pay to win

• steeler989steeler989 Member UncommonPosts: 665

Dont mind the other persons comment. he didnt explain anything about the game.

So, the game has 2 races (going to be two more in their next chapter) and 8 classes. They also have a dual class system so you could be a knight priest or a warrior ranger etc. The pvp is pretty fun too. They have different styles of pvp. Objective and just full on pvp. The graphics are a lot like WoW. smooth combat. sleek interface. Quests are fun and easy. Auto running system so you automatically run to the npc you have to talk to or the monsters you have to kill. The dungeons are pretty fun too. max lvl cap is 62. all in all, its a fun game.

Definitely worth the big download. Oh, and joining a guild can be a lot of fun. You can join in on the GvG battles which i recommend yoyu do at max lvl to kill ppl. But i think you would like it.

9/10

• XhieronXhieron Member UncommonPosts: 132

I've actually been curious about this game as well, but I'll admit that the lack of additional races is a bit of a turnoff, as is the lack of user-friendly, easily-accessible detail on the races.  Has there been any confirmation on what the next race will be?  Also, I can definitely see how PK would be a significant incentive for item-shop spending, so I wonder if it's actually an issue for the thrifty gamers who can't (or won't) fully deck themselves out in non-droppable gear--or, on the other hand, if the PVE server has any opportunities for more structured, non-gear-dependent PVP.

If anybody can provide some info or steer me in the right direction, that would be grand.

Peace and safety.

Originally posted by Xhieron

I've actually been curious about this game as well, but I'll admit that the lack of additional races is a bit of a turnoff, as is the lack of user-friendly, easily-accessible detail on the races.  Has there been any confirmation on what the next race will be?  Also, I can definitely see how PK would be a significant incentive for item-shop spending, so I wonder if it's actually an issue for the thrifty gamers who can't (or won't) fully deck themselves out in non-droppable gear--or, on the other hand, if the PVE server has any opportunities for more structured, non-gear-dependent PVP.

If anybody can provide some info or steer me in the right direction, that would be grand.

Hey ummm, read the post i made.

I talked about the races thing.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Ill give it 6 out of 10. Unlike many F2P games it have lots of quests and pretty decent graphics.

The bad stuff it that it gets rather grindy after a while if you don't buy stuff from the cash shop and group dynamics could be better.

Character customization is also so so, you can dual class but I still feels like I am rather similar to many other players.

The game is worth a try, I enjoyed the first month and played another one, without spending any money at all. LOTRO feels more greedy for some reason, at least RoM give away the quests for free.

I do however wish that the dual classing and customization were closer to Guildwars.

RoM do have some neat features, but some could have been better done, like housing. Sure, you do have a house and some furnitures and you go there to change your class but that is about it.

Still, I don't regret the time I spent playing the game. You can probably have some fun time in it, just don't expect it too last for many years :)

And the game is miles better than most F2P games, like Rappelz and Last Chaos... But it is not as good as DDO.

• XhieronXhieron Member UncommonPosts: 132

Originally posted by steeler989

You said there would be two more races, and I asked if you or anyone knew what they were.  My post was a response to yours, trying to elicit additional information that wasn't in yours.

Peace and safety.

Originally posted by steeler989

You said there would be two more races, and I asked if you or anyone knew what they were.  My post was a response to yours, trying to elicit additional information that wasn't in yours.

Oh ok. The two races are dwarf and rhino.

• menasuremenasure Member Posts: 75

@ the OP: well if you're an ex-wow player with an open mind you might like it ... for a while.

the main problem is that this game went downhill right after beta and with every chapter coming out more and more cash shop oriented... just about any f2p is a marketing scam but this is a very clever one where you end up paying for just about any convenience you'd normally find in a subscription game, adding up to several times what you would have payed there.

make no mistake though: you can play absolutely free but not without cutting lots of corners by making more than one account, trading with others... stuff like that but if you want to follow others to the endgame at the same speed as them you end up litterally 'working' in game or cheating the fun out of it. the other route is to spend well about a year or something to get at the same stage where others are ... depending on how you look at that it does not have to be game breaking.

meanwhile this game is fun up till lvl 50/50 but from the moment you get into the lvl 55 regions you'll notice the cash shop influence more and more and more and which 'players' like that kind of game... as a result basically you're supposed to powergrind your way up to lvl 62, not really for levels but for the highly customized gear to survive grinding in the next instance ... rince and repeat to get that feeling of being 'the best'... well for some that's all a game is about but not for everyone, it's still called a mmorpg you know.

even if you're not really a competitive player in theory it's not a problem: just find yourself some pug group to play around with having some fun instead, lots of content and different dungeons to try out. don't like one character? well more than 40 'dual'-classes are at your disposal to try stuff out ... the content by itself is huge and you can fill your time doing absolutely nothing significant but enjoy it nevertheless.

but here's the general problem this game suffers from: the classes are horribly imbalanced and the whole cash shop and stats influence has become terribly overpowered, which leads to some 'roles' being obsolute and the keyword is now: damage .... feed-back and support has always left mucht to be desired, the graphics engine regularly makes you lag and crash even with a top notch pc ... the longer you play this game the more you start to see issues, plenty of them.

at some point it becomes too much for any serious mmorpg gamer so many of the original gamers who played the content with far less gear (and less costs) but with more tactic left the game and the kind of community you have in game is now 'competitive' but rather in a 'buy/hack/cheat yourself through anything remotely appearing difficult, preferably with the OP character of the chapter and this whole gear race sucks the fun out of the game for most. others are waiting for a long promised chapter IV with yet again promises about 'balancing' etc....

well it gets delayed and delayed, meanwhile more and more players will never come back, much of the in-game knowledge goes lost and as a new player you've a good chance of ending up in almost character-empty maps. you might join a guild which thinks helping others means selling their gear to you and where the members don't even have a clue about tactics for some instance, from time to time someone allows you to 'leech' ...

all in all there's a good chance you'll miss half the content and half the fun without really getting to know how to play your character in group untill you reach those lvl 55+ dungeons where you either start spending a lot or run into a brick wall because hardly any group still knows how to play this game and what a tactic is and might decide not to take you along with them because you're playing a 'bad' character... if there's still a group to be found because most will already have moved on to 'the next dungeon'.

the current super character is currently a heavy cash shop, superbuffed, instant spikedamage ranged character: scout/x (insert class where the x stands) so this game has become almost a shooter (with autotarget function) in a fantasy setting with a medieval touch so gaming-wise there's very little left and it chokes the fun out of playing any other character and the community as a whole ... unless you're the kind of guy who likes that fast paced 'burn tactic' kind of stuff of course.

eventually all i said does not have to let that stop you from trying: it is a free game, there's the thrill of a new game and it has many goodies for different tastes so you might get at least a few months of fun out of it but don't expect a crowd as a new starter and you only really know if it's a game (and/or character) for you at around lvl 55+.

you should also realize that this game is on the virge of chapter IV ... the developers give very few info about it other than some vague 'balancing' promises and some 'nice screen shots' -guess they finally decided to panick- but i can promise you already one thing: expect the cash shop to play a huge role in it... eventually because it takes time to get to that 'endgame' content. meanwhile the good news for new players can be that at least you won't be alone as a starter once a new chapter comes out... where it leads is anybodies guess for the moment.

• PingmeisterPingmeister Member Posts: 51

I've played Runes of Magic for a year or so (off and on...it's never been my Main MMO) and have never set up a cash shop account.  My main toon is level 28.

As much as I have experienced has been fantastic.  It's a wide open world with lots of lore.  The quest system is fairly weak (99% 10-rats or Delivery quests) but there are plenty of quests to get you going and they do a good job of opening up the world for you.

Graphics are a bit ethereal but excellent nonetheless.

Zones are laid out well with a lot of interesting variety and some landscapes carved out by major storylines.

Great game if a bit generic as far as class/quest/options go.

• steelfinsteelfin Member UncommonPosts: 121

Originally posted by Pingmeister

I've played Runes of Magic for a year or so (off and on...it's never been my Main MMO) and have never set up a cash shop account.  My main toon is level 28.

As much as I have experienced has been fantastic.  It's a wide open world with lots of lore.  The quest system is fairly weak (99% 10-rats or Delivery quests) but there are plenty of quests to get you going and they do a good job of opening up the world for you.

Graphics are a bit ethereal but excellent nonetheless.

Zones are laid out well with a lot of interesting variety and some landscapes carved out by major storylines.

Great game if a bit generic as far as class/quest/options go.

The fact that you're only lvl 28 is the reason why you are enjoying the game.  At lvl 20-30, everything is easy cos all the high lvls give FA runs for free.  You don't have to properly gather a bunch of lvl 20s with good stats and survive the instance.  That completely changes when you get around lvl 35.  Hardly one helps you with Nom unless you're in a guild and even then they're usually doing those events in TH.  Gets even worse after that. My toon was lvl 52 unstatted and a pretty high lvl guild.  Noone was able to help with Ice Kingdom Instance lvl 35 cos even a bunch of pretty well statted lvl 50s got owned by the bosses and even the normal mobs, that's just ridiculous.  The boss was lvl 39 or something and hit 20ks or something, I don't remember.  So anyway, I had a bunch of instances which I didn't even start like KS, HOTO, TT, clops, ant queen and the harpy queen.

what you said about the quests being crap is very true but wait until you get into savage lands.  the mobs go from 6k hp to 20k hp.  and there were elites running around everywhere too.