Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

12yo-fakes-her-death-to-be-with-wow-boyfriend

GormokGormok Member Posts: 379

I found this over on another MMO site, this is just really sick. Instead of parents keeping tabs on what their kids are doing online in these games. The blame is going to be pointed at the gaming industry as always.

An 11-year old girl in Albuquerque, New Mexico, thought she’d met the boy of her dreams late last year, when playing World of Warcraft. The young man in question, Alex Trowell, was 18, and lived a couple of states over, in Idaho.

World of Warcraft

True love never runs smooth

The young couple chatted online for hours, before moving to cellphone conversations and text messages, and it was only a matter of time before the pair decided to meet in person. Alex planned the roadtrip, only to have the police catch wind of his travel plans. Due to concerns about the girl’s age, law enforcement suggested that Alex might want to turn around and return home, without even seeing his girlfriend’s face.

Alex Trowell

Alex Trowell

This didn’t dampen the blossoming relationship however, which continued unabated – a few months later, Alex arranged flights for the young girl in April, so she could fly from New Mexico to Idaho in order to be with him.

The story up to this point is fairly straight-forward and plays out like we’ve seen before, but here’s where this couple’s story takes an interesting twist.

To ensure that “no one would come looking for her”, the girl (who was now 12 years old) wrote out a suicide note before leaving for the airport. Once she arrived in Idaho, Alex would set the girl up in an abandoned house next to his grandparents’.

All went perfectly. Alex and his young love spent one night in Idaho, hiding in Alex’s parents’ bedroom. The new couple claim they were romantic, but did not have sexual intercourse.

…unfortunately, the next morning brought real life crashing down on young love. Alex was arrested the next day, as police made arrangements to send the unnamed girl back home to New Mexico. He now faces “a slew of charges” including child enticement and transporting a minor. We’re not sure how the girl’s parents have handled their daughter coming back from the dead.

Comments

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

People are f*cked up. Doesnt matter if it was WoW or a chat room or whatever these sick bastards do to get children. Still makes you wonder wtf the parents were doing.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

One thing for sure among the charges are statutory rape.  this fellow will not be playing wow for many years. He is 18 that makes him an adult in any state, and these charges are federal.  This means the penitentiary for him not some local sheriff's lockup.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

Lol parents need to realize that a mainstream MMO is noting but unrestricted chat with pictures.  11 year olds can have a WoW account? Did he even try to say he didn't know how lod she was? Obviously a member of the chickenhawk guild.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by erictlewis

One thing for sure among the charges are statutory rape.  this fellow will not be playing wow for many years. He is 18 that makes him an adult in any state, and these charges are federal.  This means the penitentiary for him not some local sheriff's lockup.

statutory rape? the guy is a pedophile. i think a good case could be made for grooming a minor etc.... personally i wouldnt have a problem if they hanged him...image

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Originally posted by Phry

statutory rape? the guy is a pedophile. i think a good case could be made for grooming a minor etc.... personally i wouldnt have a problem if they hanged him...image

Yep when all the charges are added up hes going to be gone for a long time. I will say hes going to find out day one what happens to folks like him in prison, when they find out what he did.  He will be used and abused in many ways.

I just hope they keep him there for a good number of years.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Originally posted by Phry

It's a good thing the MMORPG.com community can at least agree on important stuff...

... and this is why I'm not letting my daughter use the internet unsupervized until she's like... 30. <.<

• Justin83xJustin83x Member Posts: 406

Wow. What a sick ass creeper. I hope someone in the pen he goes to finds out why he is there, and gives him 10 times what he deserves for being such a sick ass creep.

I also think the parents of the girl should be charged with neglect. The 12 girl should face some kind of charges too, and spend some time in juvenile hall as well.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

What's sad about this story is that blame would be put squarely on the game and not on the parents, for failing to monitor their child's activities (and of course the pedophile). What happened to good old snooping, where parents would check their kid's phone history & gaming activities, forcing me as a kid to get more creative when it came to hiding illicit activities. ^_^

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882

12 years olds do sometimes really stupid things.

But wtf were the police and parents doing if they had already stopped him once during roadtrip? I'd understand them being unable to stop the girl from seeing someone in the same city, but how can they be unable to stop the girl from traveling more than 1 000 miles to meet her love? If he had had violent intentions he could have killed her.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Seems harmless enough. Nothing sexual happened, allegedy, and they are alright. Dont think the guy wanted to do anything bad, he just seems to not have his head screwed on straight enough to know that a 12 year old is too young for him.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

Unfortunately or fortunately our system of law is reactive and not really proactive.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

I do not think its right but its a 6 year freakin difference. You people are acting like this guy is going out of his way to molest little kids. Its obviously a stupid as hell situation but whos to know whether he actually cared for this girl or is just trying to hook up with little children?

Law or not there is a difference between the two.

So sick, this whole things so sick and twisted but im just sayin.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283

What the hell were her parents doing?

It sounds like they should have their heads examined. As much as this guy is a creepster, the girl's parents have no one to blame but themselves.

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

AAAAWwwwww, isn't that romantic? Faking her own death to be able to see her WoW love. I bet they spent the night telling each other how 'they wouldn't understand our love anyways'

Arresting the guy for some harmless teenager crush and a bad joke is pretty... {mod edit} I bet he'll spent the next 10 years of his ruined life in one of your prisons along with murderers and drug dealers just for the sake of self-rightousness... 

*cough* sorry, got carried away there, I shouldn't be shouting, being from germany...

*whistles and walks away*

M

• NicooNicoo Member UncommonPosts: 236

Originally posted by monstermmo

I do not think its right but its a 6 year freakin difference. You people are acting like this guy is going out of his way to molest little kids. Its obviously a stupid as hell situation but whos to know whether he actually cared for this girl or is just trying to hook up with little children?

Law or not there is a difference between the two.

So sick, this whole things so sick and twisted but im just sayin.

6 years in that young age is a big difference. An 18 year old and an 12 year old is like a 40 year old man with a 16 year old girl. Its just not right, its downright disgusting and people that are this stupid needs to be punished with death cause its not right.

A 12 year old girl dosnt know much, she thinks the older man is cool, he knows things and he has things, own appartment, car, etc. He can give her what her parents wont. Its not love, a 12 year old girl dosnt know what love is. He is a pedophile thats it.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Originally posted by Meridion

AAAAWwwwww, isn't that romantic? Faking her own death to be able to see her WoW love. I bet they spent the night telling each other how 'they wouldn't understand our love anyways'

Arresting the guy for some harmless teenager crush and a bad joke is pretty... well, US american I guess... I bet he'll spent the next 10 years of his ruined life in one of your prisons along with murderers and drug dealers just for the sake of self-rightousness... 

*cough* sorry, got carried away there, I shouldn't be shouting, being from germany...

*whistles and walks away*

M

So what you are saying is:  its perfectly legal in Germany for an adult to convince a child to run away and live with them? 

Other than that you lost me somehow.

Or you just wanted to somehow fit in a bash against America in here.. while also stating than an 18 year old enticing an "at the time" 11 year old to meet up with them is obviously harmless and full of good and pure intentions.

• TyrantasTyrantas Member UncommonPosts: 369

That 18yo must be either retarded or pedophile

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Why are you guys all blaming the parents?  If they're like normal people they work 9-5.  They come home and the kid has been home from school for an hour or two.  They make the kid do their homework, clean their room, do their chores, clean up, go to bed.  That's REAL life.  At 12, there is the beginning of trust.

Yes, the 18 y/o is a pedophile. Straight up.  But the 12 y/o must have some SERIOUS screws loose as well.  Sometimes I think it would have been better for all to be the recipient of a Darwin.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

If he were 3 or 4 years younger, would that make it any better? Even one or two years younger and it wouldn't be illegal. Strange maybe, but not illegal.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

A few tips:

- do not give your personal information to other people you play with

- do not romantically attach to a person you don't know and have never seen before

- don't play too much

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by Yamota

Seems harmless enough. Nothing sexual happened, allegedy, and they are alright. Dont think the guy wanted to do anything bad, he just seems to not have his head screwed on straight enough to know that a 12 year old is too young for him.

Really?  This is what seems harmless to you?

An 18 year old can be a freshman in college and an 11 year old a 5th grader in elementary school.   One is a child and one is an adult. 

The adult enticed the child to leave her family, fake her death, move several states away to live in an abandoned house and you think that is harmless? 

The only reason major harm wasn't done was because the police/parents caught them.  He doesn't have his head screwed on straight, because he is a pedofile. 

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

More information is necessary to "pass judgement", but the story does seem a bit off.  Just because someone is 18 years old, doesn't mean they are no longer mentally a child.  It could be chalked up to stupid childish behavior, depending on the intentions of the guy.  If they really just wanted to be together to snuggle and make out -- a bit weird, yes -- a felony, I would say is excessive.  If the guy wanted to do bad things to the girl, it's a whole different ballgame.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

You guys must never have watched "To catch a predator".  These guys want to sleep with these little kids and the moment the "dad" walks in it becomes "Oh, we just wanted to talk.. or Oh, we just wanted to hang out".  The best part of the show is when they read the explicit conversations they had and then they try "Oh, I didn't know how old she was".  What ever.  The police WARNED him the first time.  They tried to be cool about it.  He then bought her a ticket to fly her up.  The evidence (not the lack of, the EVIDENCE) is damning for his case.

• Trueforral1Trueforral1 Member UncommonPosts: 35

I honestly have a hard time seeing any culprit in this drama, just a number of hapless victims, starting with the girl who was way too young to understand what she was getting herself into, and also clearly caught up with girly ideas of forbidden romance and romanticized views of suicide that might as well have been snatched right out of Romeo and Juliette. Then we've got the parents, too blind to see what's happening to their daughter and too dim-witted to realize the necessity to talk their child straight or even physically prevent her communication with the grown man that she allegedly is in love with. Then we've got the 18-year old, who genuinely seems to care for this girl to such a point that he risks everything to be with her. The law prevents it, common sense itself should have urged him to stay away, but he was clearly not equipped with any of that.

Regardless, I see Stupid, lots and lots of Stupid. Not so much evil though. The true question is, did he "love" her because of her diminutive age, or in spite of it? That is: is he a terrifyingly evil paedophile, or simply a moron who needs to understand how society works? I kind of feel it's the latter. Judging by the picture he looks a few cards short of a full deck.

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

A lot of the posts on this thread are more disturbing than anything this moonstruck romantic did. Some of you pillars of society ought to find out what a pedophile is before you start slinging the word around.

But why? It's only the internet and none of it counts anyway, right?

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

This discussion has been closed.