Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera VS GuildWars 2

12346»

Comments

• CrisazgoCrisazgo Member Posts: 42

Probably the best thing i found with gw2 also is that. you dont have to invite people to party to play with them.

it felt like you are always playing with people and doing quests together.

Something pretty much all mmos suffer from now is that everyone just plays solo. its a hassle to get groups to do 'group quests'. Tera is a good example of this. There is lots of group quests and most people just skip them.

Also find on tera people are very selfish in the same way. Running in and looting gather item or quest gather item while you kill mobs. Things like this shouldnt exist anymore. Instanced gather nodes and loot is the way forward for sure.

I didnt try the dungeon yet in guild wars 2, but i think that is the area that tera is better. The boss monsters feel like they should big and uncontrollable. Chargeing around and cleaving doing attacks at the room. Collision detection also helps add to this feel.

Im planning to stick with  asingle char and just pve next BWE to try out gw2 dungeon for myself though.

• sinni800sinni800 Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by TheTrueKing

+ Better graphics. Hugely detailed. Much crisper. Zoom in at stuff in both games and there's a world of difference.  (This is total BS especially since TERA is now launched and the graphics will probably not be improved upon any time soon yet we can expect Guild Wars 2's graphics to be optimized and improved before launch. Tera's didn't change much in the last few Beta's it had till now..)

Wow, biased, are we? You say TOTAL BS!!!111 and then go "probably will not be improved". How about Guild Wars 2's graphics will probably not be improved by now? Would be the same argument.

I'm currently trying to decide what I want of those two games... 

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

I am currently playing the 7 day trial in Tera. Yes the game is beautiful but there is so much recycling in Tera - monster models, backgrounds, etc. The combat is point and shoot which is different but hardly innovative (think FPS games). The quests are a little boring - but understandable. The mains story of the game - I don't get it as it is not really focused on. All professions follow the same story line so there really is not repeatability with Tera.

I pave played BWE2 in GW2 and also GW1 - I can see how the graphics are a turn off to people but I do like them. They are more organic, look more natural (you can go into buildings in GW2 and explore Tera you can't). Also, in GW1 as the new chapters came out, they tweaked the graphics and improved them. Have you seen the original BWE graphics of GW1? Compare them to the way they are now - huge difference.

First BWE in GW1

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e108/botrytis/GW%20beta%20shots/gw001.jpg

What it looks like now - I tried to get the same angle (sorry if I didn't)

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e108/botrytis/gw108.jpg

There is a huge difference. What game does that as they develop? it? 

I like the combat in GW2, once I got used to it. It is not mashing 1,1,1,1,1,3 like some games. I like Tera's combo skills - so both work..

The games were designed differently hence the different feel - they both have their place.

• tezaritezari Member UncommonPosts: 4

Gw2 is going to blow users minds and how MMOs are build.

• Originally posted by Poison_Adele
    Originally posted by LordRelic

lol i love how people complain about quests.   Gw2 will still have the same quests (kill X 5 times, Get me 10 of this etc..) all they did is get rid of the middle man (ie: the npc to give quest) and have the change stay for a little bit then it reverts back to what it was so others can make the change too.  

Typical leveling experience on GW2: Travel through zone, helping soldiers here and there. Suddenly, the muffled sounds of war begin and all the NPCs freak out and rush to defend the gates of the town you're hanging out at. One soldier runs up to you and shouts that they need your help! You run to the front lines to help them fight off the invaders, ultimately failing and being forced to fall back.  You enlist the help of others and return in full force, fighting back the invaders who have taken up camp in the town and rescuing townspeople and soldiers as you go. There are cheers and expressions of gratitude as you take back the town. You are then asked to help push back against the invaders, and you set out with a group of soldiers to attack the invaders' nearest outpost. The sun begins to set on the horizon, and the sound of crickets and frogs and battle begins...

Typical TERA leveling experience: Fight 50 identical mobs, deliver letter between two adjacent NPCs, wait in dungeon queue for an hour, complete dungeon, level up.

Gee what an objective view

"The sun begins to set on the horizon, and the sound of crickets and frogs and battle begins..."

Really? Do you work for Arenanet?

• DeathIsCloseDeathIsClose Member Posts: 23

Im  a Tera player myself recently stopt paying so also playing.

Tera is full with bugs

Fail pvp

Bad PVE

no good story

and again TO many bugs concept is nice but they failed to Really make it interesting.

Wish game like Aika had this attack / defend feature during grind/pvp

But TBH GW2 sorry GFX they cant match Tera and their new concept no healers no tank makes ppl forced to play some kind of fail class because they need to get their HP from somewhere while grind ect.

Not gonna play that either just to... idk not worth it for me tested but big NO xD

^_^ hf

• HarveyHeskoHarveyHesko Member Posts: 5
    Terra has some gorgeous terrain and environment. I can often stop and just stare at vastness here and there. I am looking forward to seeing what Origins of Malu looks like. They claim to have made very vast and interesting terrain as well.
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Elloa

Hello Everyone,

I wonder what do you think about those 2 future game. i've not got teh chance to get a beta key, so I'm just exploring the net searching for all information i can for those game.

I'd like to find a home in the MMO world, to replace World of Warcraft (my susbscription end in september), and both game attract me very much. I'm also playing Rift that I enjoy and Minecraft, so I'll have to make a choice.

Guild Wars seem more RolePlay oriented, while Tera is probably more oriented arround fight and combat. Both game seem beautiful and attractive in their own way.

What do you think? Where it would be possible to reinstall a community ?

Interesting choices. I'd say that both games are going to feel VERY different from WoW. For some that's a good thing, for others it's not.

TERA is more inline with what you'd expect from a Lineage game, with more action-oriented combat (active blocking, dodging, & aiming). The combat is somewhat similar to RaiderZ, minus the cross-profession system. That game is free to try so it might give you a feel for it.

GW2 in is very much an 'anti-WoW'. Many of it's design decisions directly conflict with what WoW is all about. In fact that's one of the game's main selling points. It also has a focus on combat, but the game plays quite a bit different from what most WoW players are used to. The catch is it's similar enough, that many players don't realize this. The game is very independant of gear, and the advantages you get from gear are pretty minimal compared to most MMOs. So if you play MMOs for the gear progression, this game isn't going to appeal as much to you. Same thing applies to skills. The game is more interested in skill customization, than acquisition. You will unlock skills up to a point, but around halfway into the game you will more than likely have all the skills you need.

- Basically the main issue w/ GW2 to a lot of players, is it's a horizontally focused game hidden in a linear progression package. People who like the gear grind, who like finding that epic loot that makes them godlike, just don't have much of a place in GW2. They often get frustrated and rage, and blame the game for their misunderstandings. Often complaining about things being too difficult, or that they can't just run through it DPSing everything to win.

Hope that helps you decide a little better, but either game is going to be a bit of a dice roll for you, if your only other MMO experience is WoW. I will say that of the 2 choices, TERA seems to be hurting quite a bit in terms of population. GW2 is still fairly popular, though no one can say for sure if that will continue through the months to come.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Tera has excellent combat, bad quests and good PvP. People do have fun playing it as I did, I believe now there is a free trial

GW2 has quests that are all over the place and hard to follow, good combat and good PvP.  It is more of an exploring game than anything else

• samslamersamslamer Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by DeathIsClose

Im  a Tera player myself recently stopt paying so also playing.

Tera is full with bugs

Fail pvp

Bad PVE

no good story

and again TO many bugs concept is nice but they failed to Really make it interesting.

Wish game like Aika had this attack / defend feature during grind/pvp

But TBH GW2 sorry GFX they cant match Tera and their new concept no healers no tank makes ppl forced to play some kind of fail class because they need to get their HP from somewhere while grind ect.

Not gonna play that either just to... idk not worth it for me tested but big NO xD

^_^ hf

In all honestly, during my time in World vs World, I didn’t really notice much difference between a true tab-targeting MMORPG and GW2. It pretty much felt the same to me.

On the other hand, everyone in TERA has to aim at their targets, so dodging is extremely important, and if you’re good at it, you’ll have a huge advantage, especially in PvP. It’s also a hell of a lot more exciting as everyone needs to be constantly moving, in PvP and PvE. Healers need to hit their target with their heals, so they can’t just sit there apart from where the combat is, unless they happen to have unbelievable aim. Melee characters also have the ability to block attacks adding even more depth to combat.

With tab-targeting, any ranged class was always a little boring to play, most of the time you’d just keep your distance and spam your ability bar. In TERA you’re constantly on the move trying to get the best shots, since TERA has some abilities that allow players to do more damage when attacking an opponent from behind.

The real deciding factor for me is that today I’m hungering for more TERA and not so much of GW2, even though I really enjoyed WvW.

hmmmm?