Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bitgamer Review Just In!

Comments

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by ProfRed

This is the only negative review I have seen.  Hype is in full force, tons of positive reviews not listing one negative, and players expectations are skyrocketing.  This scenario has never ended well in this genre.  You should welcome some negative reviews.  I guarantee at launch the boxes will sell out everywhere, and first month subs will drop off drastically losing those subs forever if the hype continues like it is.  I would take low hype, mixed reviews, and a solid launch that builds into something epic over what is shaping up around this game right now and I am a fan and I will be buying this game and playing for at least one month. 

Oh, there have been objective reviews that listed pros AND cons that the writer experienced, it certainly wasn't all 100% positive. I was merely reacting upon the typical reaction of SWTOR haters that seek to magnify and focus only on any negative aspect that they can find, ignoring all the positive reviews or comments made.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

It's a biased preview. For someone who spend 48 hours, as they claim, with an upcoming AAA MMO i would expect a much more detailed article mentioning specific features they didn't like and flaws. They talk very little if at all about the classes, talents, combat, world design etc. Funny thing is that they gave Cataclysm a 9 paired with a "recommended" praising solely it's new Azeroth design. I guess they found WoW's story and quest approach more appealing. /shrug

• onehunerdperonehunerdper Member Posts: 837

Originally posted by Velera

So a guy who called Rift "Refreshing and Exciting" says SWTOR is the most dull thing ever, that makes me wonder just how boring SWTOR really is, cause Rift ..... 

I'm not finding his review of RIFT anywhere?

• ArcheAgeArcheAge Member Posts: 363

So a guy who called Rift "Refreshing and Exciting" says SWTOR is the most dull thing ever, that makes me wonder just how boring SWTOR really is, cause Rift ..... 

Link his rift review.

• sJenksFTWsJenksFTW Member Posts: 63

Originally posted by ArcheAge

Link his rift review.

It isn't HIS article but it is a bit-tech article, this is all I could find:

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2011/04/04/rift-impressions/1

Have Played: FFXI, WoW, Aion, DCUO
    Waiting For: TSW, World of Darkness, SWTOR
    Currently Playing: KOTOR
    Tried: Matrix Online, Rift, Xsyon, LOTRO, EVE, Guild Wars

“Not all those who wander are lost.”
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

The game's not even released yet - not even close. How the hell can there be a friggin' review? This is idiotic. I'm no fanboy of SWTOR, but shit, even I know not to put stock in  a "review" of game that's still almost a year out from being shipped. Sheesh.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

Originally posted by sJenksFTW

Link his rift review.

Yeah that's all I found as well, but no telling if this guy was any part of that, oh well, the article seems a little biased.  Speaking of which, I'll probably buy the game no matter what the reviewers say.  I just hope I'm not throwing my money away like when I ignored the reviews of "The Last Airbender"

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Originally posted by Puuk

The game's not even released yet - not even close. How the hell can there be a friggin' review? This is idiotic. I'm no fanboy of SWTOR, but shit, even I know not to put stock in  a "review" of game that's still almost a year out from being shipped. Sheesh.

Reviews of the game state before launch are really important though.  They give the devs a chance to see what is criticized before launch so they can address the issues.  I would rather have a poor review of a game I was making before launch so I could address it than one after launch.

I mean if the game really feels that detached and boring at any stage maybe there is a simple feature or some tweaks going forward the devs could address to make it a better game.  They will get more out of bad reviews than reviews that just praise it and talk about features they already know inside and out.

Good Lord, think before you react.  This isn't a review of the game itself, it's a review of what they've seen so far in the pretty much demo version of the game they were given

Honestly though, you kind of have to take game reviews like you do movie reviews. There are reviewers out there that like to go against the grain just to stun, because (whether good or bad) it gets them press. I would just reserve your opinion until an open beta hits.

If I listened to reviewers everytime I wanted to see a movie I would never see anything because there are always people willing to bash something for notoriety.

-J.R.R. Tolkien

Honestly though, you kind of have to take game reviews like you do movie reviews. There are reviewers out there that like to go against the grain just to stun, because (whether good or bad) it gets them press. I would just reserve your opinion until an open beta hits.

If I listened to reviewers everytime I wanted to see a movie I would never see anything because there are always people willing to bash something for notoriety.

Truth, sometimes they're on, sometimes there off.  I'm glad I didn't listen to the about Grown Ups, it was hilarious IMO.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by frunze

His answer:

...the issue that plagues The Old Republic is one of predictability. An MMO from such accomplished RPG writers and based on such a rich fiction could have redefined the genre, but instead appears to merely ape other MMOs, with little thought given to reconciling the fiction with the gameplay or capitalising on the depth of the narrative...

I wonder if his reaction is one-off or whether it will be seen as standard.

I have my reservation about the core gameplay still, but the above is too prosy and cannot explain anything imo. I don't need to know about revolutions and criticism at 10,000 ft. zzzzz

• ArcheAgeArcheAge Member Posts: 363

Link his rift review.

So he wasn't the guy who wrote the rift review?

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

Originally posted by ProfRed

Reviews of the game state before launch are really important though.  They give the devs a chance to see what is criticized before launch so they can address the issues.  I would rather have a poor review of a game I was making before launch so I could address it than one after launch.

I mean if the game really feels that detached and boring at any stage maybe there is a simple feature or some tweaks going forward the devs could address to make it a better game.  They will get more out of bad reviews than reviews that just praise it and talk about features they already know inside and out.

Then it's a "preview," not a "review." This "article" is passing itself off as a review of a perceived finished product. SWTOR is not finished. Feedback from one guy can be taken with a grain of salt - feedback from beta tests are helpful and provide metrics from which to improve the game. I'll pay attention once a large closed beta starts and groups of folks give their opinions. Until then, reviews for SWTOR don't exist.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Yep, just as I've been saying. They wasted too much time and money on video cut scenes and fluff and not enough on immersive substance.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

Originally posted by Zekiah

Yep, just as I've been saying. They wasted too much time and money on video cut scenes and fluff and not enough on immersive substance.

Well, you can't really say that when you haven't played it, and read one preview of it? I mean go out to any of the press that went to the summit and I would say 85% or more thought the content made it seem like an entirely new gaming experience. Again, opinions should be made when you actually have a chance to play a game.

-J.R.R. Tolkien

Link his rift review.

I guess not, I just searched for rift on their site. It has a different author than the OP's article.

-J.R.R. Tolkien

Link his rift review.

Nope, the Rift review was by Brain Something, This SWTOR review is by Joe Martin

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

One article that is majorly negative and people fall apart?  This is a pretty bad article overall, he doesn't touch on a lot of things the other articles did, and I've read through most of the previews,  some of which played the game for the same amount of time and left without even knowing about multi speccing in advanced classes.

This guy is complaining about a game meant for tens of thousands online at any given time, that has 50 players in it,  being empty.  This guy is all 5 shades of idiot,  he barely touches on any of the story decisions, and, furthermore,  this isn't even remotely a site of merit.  There have been plenty of other sites releasing previews of the game that have been overwhelmingly positive.  I wouldn't even be half surprised if this guy released a bad review just to generate hits.  

http://pc.ign.com/articles/116/1164609p1.html

http://www.videogamer.com/pc/star_wars_the_old_republic/preview-2989.html

Plus all of these 

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/313929/New-Fansite-summit-and-Press-event-Info-links-inside.html

Were enormously positive.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Thanks to this article, the obscure site will probably get more hits in next few days than it normally gets in a month. If it had been positive or even neutral, nobody would have cared or probably even care to mention it.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

Wait, wait wait lol. GUYS! I have to post their review of  WoW: Cataclysm. This sites reviews are so strange, they praise Cataclysm as being "there's seriously never been a better time to start playing World of Warcraft".

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2011/01/11/world-of-warcraft-cataclysm-review/1

So again, I would probably reserve your opinions until playing the game, because saying Cataclysm is the best thing to happen to WoW is a bold, against the grain, thing to say.

-J.R.R. Tolkien

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by maskedweasel

One article that is majorly negative and people fall apart?  This is a pretty bad article overall, he doesn't touch on a lot of things the other articles did, and I've read through most of the previews,  some of which played the game for the same amount of time and left without even knowing about multi speccing in advanced classes.

This guy is complaining about a game meant for tens of thousands online at any given time, that has 50 players in it,  being empty.  This guy is all 5 shades of idiot,  he barely touches on any of the story decisions, and, furthermore,  this isn't even remotely a site of merit.  There have been plenty of other sites releasing previews of the game that have been overwhelmingly positive.  I wouldn't even be half surprised if this guy released a bad review just to generate hits.  

Plus all of these 

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/313929/New-Fansite-summit-and-Press-event-Info-links-inside.html

Aye. some people on the Swtor site are saying the same thing. It would be one of the most elaborate trolls ever and a perfect scheme to gather a shitload of page views which would increase their PROFITSS from advertisers.

But it's hard to say for sure. There is a lot of personal preference involved in reviewing and every game has its fans and dislikers and one out of a myriad of reviews being distinctly negative is also kind of a natural thing.

And of course ... Swtor, along with any other to be released game, could disappoint a lot of people with too high or specific expectations in certain area's. We will only know whether it is THE game for any of us once we've tried it out for ourselves.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Plus all of these 

So beacuse his review doesn't live up to your feelings of what SWTOR deserves his opinion dosen't matter? Or worse he MUST have some fiendish alterior motive for giving the game a bad review in the first place?

I can completely accept you disagree with his review, but FFS Masked, please stop with the conspiracy theory nonsense. All you are doing with comments like these is to make those of us willing to give this game the benefit of the doubt look like raving maniacs.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

given the article in PCGamer though... it looks like things are not going that well at Bioware.. but.. it was always a bit obvious.. the game will live or die by its game mechanics.. storyline is nice and all that.. but its not enough to make a game.. there needs to be more than just 'script' ... perhaps i was being too optimistic thinking the game would be released in november.. maybe it really will be next year.... .. november 2012 that is...

and while some of the points given were.. in 48 hours you can't see much of the game... i think the major point is.. how many days do you have to play it for before the game starts being fun? .. at the moment the best that can be hoped for is that the version they were given to play.. was such a 'barebones' demo that the things that would normally make it fun.. had not yet been implemented..

worse case scenario... this game could make SWG look good...image

Originally posted by Tardcore

Plus all of these 

So beacuse his review doesn't live up to your feelings of what SWTOR deserves his opinion dosen't matter? Or worse he MUST have some fiendish alterior motive for giving the game a bad review in the first place?

I can completely accept you disagree with his review, but FFS Masked, please stop with the conspiracy theory nonsense. All you are doing with comments like these is to make those of us willing to give this game the benefit of the doubt look like raving maniacs.

Actually I work in the animation industry so I have to read movie reviews all the time. It really isn't a conspiracy theory, things like that happen all the time, believe me I have seen it. Companies pay for good reviews of their materials, and pay for bad reviews of competing products, or get hits on a website. Just go look at Toy Story 3 reviews on rottentomatoes.com, the bad reviews were blatent attempts to go against the grain.

That's why it is stupid to base an opinion on what someone else has written. Reading reviews is great, but I try to limit reading them until I have been in a beta for a game or seen clips of a movie, to judge for myself.

-J.R.R. Tolkien