Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Five reasons to pass on a Wii

2»

Comments

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Wii was fun for about an hour,then it quickly lost its luster.

Plus the games are for little kids,give me blood,guts,sex and gore anyday over the Disney characters Nintendo has to offer..

Im glad I didnt fall for the the gimmick and buy one, thats for sure.

*hugs his PS3*

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Nintendo has always maintained the stance that it's system is the Nerf of the combat toys rather than Lasertag or Supersoaker. Sure Lasertag is much more sophisticated, but hella expensive. And Supersoakers are hella fun on hot summer days, but suck in the winter or indoors. But Nerf stuff can be played with indoors, any season, any budget and darn near any age.

Nintendo has a ongoing practice of pricing it's systems around the 250 dollar mark. This is what they call their nag-ware price. Where a kid would have a better shot at getting systems at or below that price point without parents feeling it would put too much of a dent in their pocket books. I'd say it worked like a charm for years.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by Pokket

I'm not a fan of the Wii... there's really nothing on it that makes me want to play it. I love Zelda games and even Mario games, but that's not enough to make me drop money on something I'm only going to buy 2 games for. That, and I'm not one who likes to do those social games. It's great for families, parties, and non-gamers, but for me... no thanks. I like my single-player games :)

That being said, I do own one. But I won it at a work party :x

There are a lot of great games on the Wii. I listed about a dozen or so of them. For such a cheap console its worth it for those titles alone. They may not be the overhyped multimillion dollar games like CoD (which turn out to be junk anyway) but they're still great games. I mean would you say there's nothing worth owning an xbox for except for Halo?

Sadly, people fall for marketing and stereotypes too much. "Oh, Wii is a casual console" is about as true as "The gamecube is a kiddie console". Only time will prove you guys wrong when the fashion of hating Nintendo goes away.

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

I just don't understand the point of this thread...  If you don't like the Wii, don't play it.

But you cannot deny that it totally raped Xbox 360 and PS3 in sales.  Nintendo had a target market and hit the bullseye.   Nintendo completely succeeded.

Originally posted by tank017

Plus the games are for little kids,give me blood,guts,sex and gore anyday over the Disney characters Nintendo has to offer..

*hugs his PS3*

How about... Resident Evil? Manhunt? Eternal Darkness? Madworld? No More Heroes? Those are all games that have blood sex and gore on the Wii.

Oh but wait, people would rather buy into marketing gimmicks than actually judge a console on its games. But you can keep your glorified blu ray player all you want.

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

Originally posted by Garvon3

Originally posted by Pokket

I'm not a fan of the Wii... there's really nothing on it that makes me want to play it. I love Zelda games and even Mario games, but that's not enough to make me drop money on something I'm only going to buy 2 games for. That, and I'm not one who likes to do those social games. It's great for families, parties, and non-gamers, but for me... no thanks. I like my single-player games :)

That being said, I do own one. But I won it at a work party :x

There are a lot of great games on the Wii. I listed about a dozen or so of them. For such a cheap console its worth it for those titles alone. They may not be the overhyped multimillion dollar games like CoD (which turn out to be junk anyway) but they're still great games. I mean would you say there's nothing worth owning an xbox for except for Halo?

Sadly, people fall for marketing and stereotypes too much. "Oh, Wii is a casual console" is about as true as "The gamecube is a kiddie console". Only time will prove you guys wrong when the fashion of hating Nintendo goes away.

The New console should help to erase the "casual" label.

One thing I haven't seen covered is the new Wii 2 being able to play old Wii games in 720p!!!!  How amazing will that be, not only will it have backwords compatibility, which has been done before, the games will look even better and run more smoothly, which has NEVER been done before.

*hugs his PS3*

How about... Resident Evil? Manhunt? Eternal Darkness? Madworld? No More Heroes? Those are all games that have blood sex and gore on the Wii.

Oh but wait, people would rather buy into marketing gimmicks than actually judge a console on its games. But you can keep your glorified blu ray player all you want.

lol I will..

and reap all the games that are 10x more awesome than what the Wii can dream to offer.

• BakoryoBakoryo Member UncommonPosts: 469

I actually forfeited my Ps3 for a Wii. I never used it anyways =p But so far i find a wii to be a good console if you have friends to play with ^^

Other than that, since sony managed to compromize the information for PSN users i dont feel to keen about ever owning a machine of theirs again. That has to be one of the biggest blunders i have yet to see.

The speed of the mole and the power of steel is my weapon

*hugs his PS3*

lol I will..

and reap all the games that are 10x more awesome than what the Wii can dream to offer.

You are the type of people marketing and PR drones LOVE to sucker. Try to stop being a fanboy and you'll realize there are tons of great games on both systems. If any system is junk this generation its the 360, because unlike the PS3 and Wii, it has almost no exclusives that make the console worth the price tag. Hell it hardly has any exclusives at all. There's... Halo. And uhh... uhhh...

*hugs his PS3*

lol I will..

You are the type of people marketing and PR drones LOVE to sucker. Try to stop being a fanboy and you'll realize there are tons of great games on both systems. If any system is junk this generation its the 360, because unlike the PS3 and Wii, it has almost no exclusives that make the console worth the price tag. Hell it hardly has any exclusives at all. There's... Halo. And uhh... uhhh...

I dont feel like Ive been suckered at all..

Its a matter of preference.Go the 'family fun' route with a sprinkle of adult gaming or go the route of adult gaming with a sprinkle of 'family fun' minus the lame motion controls.

If you enjoy your Wii then have at it,I dont care.

I know I dont want any part of it though.

*hugs his PS3*

lol I will..

Its a matter of preference.Go the 'family fun' route with a sprinkle of adult gaming or go the route of adult gaming with a sprinkle of 'family fun' minus the lame motion controls.

Yes, you know that, despite not playing any games on it... good job.

*hugs his PS3*

lol I will..

Yes, you know that, despite not playing any games on it... good job.

Actually I have played it.Several of my friends own the Wii..

..and thanks for the "good job"

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Originally posted by gwbrew

Originally posted by therain93

Originally posted by therain93

Originally posted by Foomerang

The system has been out for 5 years. I think we're past the "on the fence" demographic. Funny list. Would have been relevant maybe in 2007.

If I am correct..Ps3 and Wii released same year and quarter.. your point is?

The wii was built with household demographics that didn't have HD tv's in mind and so cost less....it made tons of profit for Nintendo these past 5 years.  Sony opted to make a $600 gaming machine that was HD capable 5 years ago that they lost money on for much of the time and only now is the install number on par (exceeding?) the Wii.  I'd say the guys at Nintendo did a brilliant job understanding the target audience they were going after and delivering "just enough" -- now it's time to refresh that with the Wii 2.

I bet this time Wii is HD and wireless is updated.. or do you think AV cables and 802.11b will be just enough for the family? LOL target audience must have been people who used rabbit ears for reception. If the folks at nintendo didn't see HD coming.. then WoW is all I can say.  How much do you think its gonna cost Wii this time around.. I bet it is in the 300.00-400.00 range. It doesn't even play DVDs.. how is that family? Poor Forcasting.. That my opinion.. and Im sticking to it.

It's not that they didn't see HD coming -- the fact was the # of households with HDTVs back then didn't justify paying to put HD technology into the original Wii and then pass the cost off to consumers that mostly wouldn't use it, assuming they would even pay the premium for it.  Sony did this with the PS3 and it killed them in terms of profits these past few years.  Likewise, you complain that there was no dvd player in the wii.  Are you kidding?  Who in 2006 didn't have a dvd player already?  Why pay to license dvd technology to incorporate it into a gaming system when it would be redundant with devices already saturated in households throughout the country?  At this point, with a wii 2 release date for 2012, they can leapfrog dvd and blu-ray technology (for movie playback) outright and just rely on streaming.....but it sounds like you would want to waste money paying for that stuff anyway....

Your agruement in petty at best.. So your total defense of Wii is "Why put it on there if Sally is already broke and can't afford it" and "Why add things to a device that can save space on your entertainment center, because most people already have it" both of the arguements fly in the face of technology and progress. The idea is to build something that replace other unit you might have to other wise buy seperatly. For instance I did not have a DVD player on my regular Non HD TV at the time, but as a consumer I wa smart enough to know what my TV would look like in the near future.. So I decided HD+Bluray.. for 100.00-150.00 more.. why not.. its worth it to have in one unit. So I bought a Ps3. Now that I have 4 HD TVs in my home I can put my PS3 on any TV and enjoy QUALITY entertainment. What's the point of buying technology if it isn't newer and improved, which outside of the accelerometers.. Wii fails. Can my 5 year old play it easier than my PS3 maybe that arguement is better suited to the Wii.. but the technology aspect.. Wii is going to lose everytime, reguardless of your said "They couldn't justify building a technological advancement due to cost" argument. If that were  the case we would never really advance.

I see two problems here.  First, you lack the ability to see other peoples' point of view, which is borderline obtuse.  Second, you appear to be ignorant of marketing and demographics as you stubbornly ignore the realities that some people couldn't or wouldn't buy 4 hdtv's of the course of the past 5 years.

Now, if you're so right and my argument is "petty", than I would just love to hear how you explain the ps2 not being sunsetted, but instead being sold right alongside the ps3.  And by the way, that launch in November 2006, saw more PS2s (664K) sold than wiis (476k) and ps3s (197).  The PS3 wouldn't even start selling more than the PS2 until the beginning of 2008.  I'll save you the time responding though...

The reason is the same as the reference made to nerf products in order to demonstrate marketing demographics.  A better example is cars though.  We have the $9,000 hyundai accent, a $26,000 Mini Cooper, and a $100,000 Lamborghini Countach.  Why do we have 3 cars when we can pack everything into one?  Simply put, because there are different purchasing demographics.  It's the same reason why McDonald's can sell burgers for 99 cents, Fuddruckers can charge $7.00 and Bobbly Flay can sell them for $10+ at Bobby's Burger Place (note: damn tasty burgers).  It has nothing to do with overall cost (if you intended to argue thousands versus hundreds of dollars) and everything to do with pricepoints.  The reality is, everyone (groups of consumers) has a price threshold.

Why would nintendo keep HD out of the wii?  Well, it costs money to put it in. They could have put it in, like Sony did, and then either charge more for the wii (i.e. pass the cost onto the consumers willing to pay more) or Nintendo could still charge $250 (and now $199) while eating that cost in the form of less profit or a bigger loss (like Sony).  So, the choice is to lose money or potentially compromise overall sales by charging more.  The same goes for adding dvd technology.  Not everyone runs out to buy the latest gadget, especially if the cost factors in a not necessarily relevant or redundant feature.

In 2006, depending on the model of PS3, it was estimated that Sony was losing between $240 and $310 on each console sold.  Nintendo, on the other hand, was estimated at making a $6 profit per console.  Money talks...

If you think I am making this up, here's an article from 2006 explainng the decision making:  http://www.gamespot.com/news/6157690.html