Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you like the game

Comments

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455

Originally posted by nomss

I hate this game.

Could you please expand on the reasons for your response? Is the game too simple? Too hard? Not enough quests? Faulty storyline? PvE not to your liking or PvP too unbalanced?

Did the game strike a bad cord with you because it gained popularity while a game you like didn't?

There are so many things you could say to back up your claim, and I suspect you are just being trollish, but at least put more efforts into your replies.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

This game just bores me to tears.  I could go into great detail, but it is a boring shallow experience for me.  Maybe I am just done with these clones and it will take innovation to get me back into this genre with newer titles.  I don't know, but man this game is just the definition of gaming boredom for me.

• El_LionEl_Lion Member UncommonPosts: 154

I like it very much. Hell, I LOVE it. What a pleasant surprise. I had my up and downtimes during the leveling but hell it was worth the time!

Eaglix

• MaakuMaaku Member Posts: 90

I've been playing for a little over a month now and I have to say I like it, a lot! I took my time and tried out every class and a few sub-class/soul mixes to really find what I liked.

I do like to RP however and one of the reasons I like the game is that there's a lot of good RP'er playing as well right now.

Like a lot of people mentioned, the game doesn't bring anything TOTALLY new to the table/genre but it does mix things up with Rifts, Attacks and PvP surprises. Just enough to make me want to stay because each session isn't a repeat of the one before.

And I think it's damn beautiful!

The Guardian refuge: Sanctum

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

I did not like the game:

I played Rift for the first time in the third Beta Event. Although I had the lovely "this game feels so new"-feeling for about ten minutes, that feeling was completely torn to pieces upon seeing Kill x/x (something like undead) Telarans. If you would combine the time I spent on the game in each Event you would get about 30-35 hours. In this time I levelled one Guardian and one Defiant to level 21, I didn't feel like playing anymore upon reaching that level. I was really disappointed upon fighting the first time, as it was the exact system from WoW and other MMORPGs that I couldn't stand. 

In the starting area (it was Guardian I believe) I kinda liked the charging (with my horse) up to the Death Rift that had appeared on the horizon. I believe I may have skipped the parts where you get the quests to select your souls, but to be quite honest, that system didn't really impress me. You could basically just select a few classes which matched the archetype you picked, but there wasn't any archetype mixing. In my experience the different sub-classes you could select played pretty similar. I suppose I wasn't too impressed by the Soul system because being able to select a completely different Profession in Guild Wars, aside from the one you picked at the start, as a secondary just spoiled me regarding functional character customization. 

Once I stepped into the actual gameworld, it really felt as if there was a war going on, but once I got out of the area with the catapults that feeling was gone. And then I experienced my first, actual Rift (the Death Rift at the start didn't count). I really liked fighting the Rift (Life I believe), but was disappointed to find out that it wasn't like an Oblivion Gate where you had to fight your way through an inhospitable world to the Tower that stabilized it. One thing I noticed was that I... ehh... didn't really notice any scaling. This was quite apparent as a second Life Rift appeared at the same spot soon after we had closed the first one, with the same boss at the end, resulting in two corpses of the same boss lying on the ground once we had closed the first one. I was also disappointed with the Invasions and Footholds: I didn't know that Invasions were just groups of mobs that suddenly popped out of the center of the Rift, and that the mobs that spawn with the Rift never really abandon their position, the Footholds were disappointing because I had expected that some kind of fort would appear, instead a little shrine appeared.

My dislike for the game was mostly a result from my disappointment with the traditional gameplay (Not really that much of a revolutionary next-gen MMORPG, Trion), the simple implementation of Rifts and my lack of interest in the Soul system. I will not make the same mistake I made with Rift for my next MMORPG by not thoroughly informing myself on the game's features, and instead relying on the words "next-gen" and "revolutionary" being thrown around by developers when there is enough gameplay footage to counter their statements. 

And last but no least, in the third Beta Event the community was great, barely any trolling/whining/flaming. And I was truly shocked when I got into the fifth Beta Event where when someone compared the game to WoW, he was instantly struck down by fanboys who claimed that WoW has got the only working system, that every MMORPG has got the same features and that the person who made the comparison was a WoW-fanboy. And every once in a while, people would shout out that they were happy that the game had a subscription fee, because it would keep the "kiddies" away. They did this while not even thinking about their own complete lack of the maturity which any adult should have.

Edit: WOOOOOOW!!! My longest post on these forums so far.

Edit numba two!: My apologies for any errors in grammar or spelling you may encounter in my post, English is not my first language.

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829

I liked Rift buring the Alpha and the Beta and in the first month or so. But getting to the end game in a month of casual play is pretty sad and the end game grind is feeling boring already. The content update events were anticlimatic and not what I was expecting (hoping for). I still enjoy the scenery and visuals and the class/soul system is really nice, but the overall gameplay already is feeling stale, repetitive and grindy.

Sad that I got my guild into this game and now I am thinking about getting out of the game when my 3 month sub ends.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

I tried it during the next to last free trial weekend, and then the last trial weekend. I picked up a copy of it before that weekend had ended. I love the game, perhaps because I didn't go into it expecting it to be ground breaking or deviate from the standard MMO formula. After all their adds (We're not in Azeroth anymore) left no doubt which MMO it was going to be like.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

Still enjoying it.. Got myself to lv 40 finnaly.. Almost 2 months into the sub and i've played atleast 2-3hrs each day.. I figure ill prolly hit 50 in about 2 weeks, then i'll see what this "raid grinding" end game is all about.. I find myself running warfronts constantly and i wanna see what the raid rifts are all about so i dont think ill have a problem with the end game content.

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

Im still having alot of fun with rift.  Im at level 50 and running the first tier of heroics and I'm almost to tier three in pvp gear.  I really like this game because of the freedoms the soul system allows - I know most cry that it really doesnt have options because there is an OP build - but im finding that it is not the case. 

My builds are op - but i dont see anyone running around with my exact same talent tree or the way I set up my hotkeys - and when I do get asked in wf's why my mage is top 5 in damage, damage taken, and healing I tell them to figure it out for themselves - that always pisses the kids off.

Rift is not the greatest thing ever made - but it will certainly keep my interest long enough to get me through to swtor.

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

Originally posted by SuperDonk

My builds are op

and when I do get asked in wf's why my mage is top 5 in damage, damage taken, and healing

You must be the most skilled player in every WF you join and it's not the fact that you are playing the fotm and the game is very bad ballanced at all.

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

Originally posted by sudo

My builds are op

and when I do get asked in wf's why my mage is top 5 in damage, damage taken, and healing

You must be the most skilled player in every WF you join and it's not the fact that you are playing the fotm and the game is very bad ballanced at all.

Yeah and you must be one of those crybaby warriors who cant kill me - I was mage from day one - before the "OP" patch happened.  And I'll still be laying waste to babies like you in open pvp and wf's after the next patch too.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

By the time 6th beta rolled around I was done.  I had high hopes but the lies, and the falsehoods, and the hype about this game were just so much.

So I gave up during beta.

Folks talk about how polished the game was/is  all I have to do is point at the patches, and then let me hear you say polish again with a smile on your face.

Game polished no,  game has a lot of content no.

Will i survive past 6 months without having a server merge,  only time will tell.

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

Yes, I like Rift

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

I like it.  I like it so much that it's one of the 2 games that get my sub money currently.  though i like the other game moar :D

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• lath456lath456 Member Posts: 92

PvP in this game is almost stupid.  You have a handful of useful builds and you have 234058623495 ways to CC people, with certain soul combinations being ridiculously OP in Warfronts.  A game where I spend an entire fight CC'd is just stupid.

PvP has way too many issues to list, problems with too much healing, too much survivability for some classes, bad class mixes on my team (10 people and 0 healers or 5+ rogues, etc) result in instant losses.

PvE wise... too many quests, especially 45+... The whole "do 5000 quests to get to max level" is WAY WAY WAY over done.

1-49 is really a meaningless timesink.  It's fun once and then it's nothing more than a treadmill that only masochists want preserved.  You don't really learn how to play the game until 50 anyways, so if you aren't happy with what your calling panned out as, you're just going to cancel your account.

1.2 will completely change the game.  So who knows how things will pan out.  Who knows if I'll return to playing my rogue or keep playing my cleric, or let my account expire.  I really hate games that flip flop around so much because this week one class sucks, next week its another class.  The complexity of having 9 souls available is far more than Trion could actually handle.

I hate that skill trees aren't viable with 51 points in them, for pvp or pve (at least, from what I've seen).  You'd expect the 51 point abilites to be awesome, game changing, powerful, unique.  Yeah, not so much.   Trion failed here.  They could have used an exponential dps system which made 51 point builds more powerful and greatly limited the mixing and matching of OP abilities in various souls.  This would have made the game SOOO much easier to balance.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

PvP is meaningless, open world PvP is meaningless. PvP gear is hilarious at best.

You get to grind the same dungeons over and over again for gear. Enjoy your endgame. Might as well dance with everyone else in your capital city.

Crafting can be done with your eyes closed.

Oh and I love the reply on when people say "this stuff takes time" - they had a lot of time to add something unique for endgame, they failed.

RIFTs were fun when I was leveling up but quickly became tedious.

RIFTs journey while leveling up was actually pretty fun, the only fun I had in the game. So to snail players the game is awesome.

RIFT definitely had a chance but with a whole new slew of games coming out such as TERA, SWTOR, GW2, etc. We'll see how RIFT fares. For now, you're best just trying it and coming up with your own opinion, as for me RIFT has failed.

• DrednaughtDrednaught Member Posts: 115

I got into the last week of beta and really enjoyed it,seemed like a breath of fresh air tbh.Even did the 6 month "founders" sub,sadly after 5 weeks+ the ol' "grind" issue reared it's head.

Not enough content at launch so any alt just feels like groundhog day after first char,then the nerfbat got swung because the of the deafening whines of the "pvp balance" crowd.So instead of the devs just sitting back and doing slight tweaks here and there they waded in with their size 14's and stamped all over a load of classes instantly removing the attraction of getting the game in the first place.

Now it's heading down the "WoW" clone highway at a rate of knots.Shame really,I said as much in the questionnaire they send you after you cancel your sub.As always it's the PvP crowd that gets a game nerfed to hell and back in the name of balance and it's the PvP crowd who bail out first when another "flav of the month" launches.

May take a look in 2 months time to see if things have changed,otherwise I will play City of Heroes (only mmo I have always gone back to lol) until SWTOR hits on whatever date :)

Gaming since 1985 and still going strong.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

Crap I'd rather just READ about GW2 or Tera than play Rift again..   Rift is like humans, we all have nipples.  Nothing new and interesting.  Just more old generic crap!!

/nuff said.

P.S. Oh and the massive number of 2 starter areas regardless of class or faction, meaning the EXACT same story whatever you do is utter pants !

Don't get me started about that sad excuse for a crafting system !  Its a harvesting system with one button click on the end.

• SpandexDroidSpandexDroid Member Posts: 277

I just canceled. It was fun until I hit max level. I don't gear grind and raid anymore. So time for a break and looking forward for the next MMO to play.

• Dorko2kDorko2k Member Posts: 107

Originally posted by Drednaught

I got into the last week of beta and really enjoyed it,seemed like a breath of fresh air tbh.Even did the 6 month "founders" sub,sadly after 5 weeks+ the ol' "grind" issue reared it's head.

Not enough content at launch so any alt just feels like groundhog day after first char,then the nerfbat got swung because the of the deafening whines of the "pvp balance" crowd.So instead of the devs just sitting back and doing slight tweaks here and there they waded in with their size 14's and stamped all over a load of classes instantly removing the attraction of getting the game in the first place.

Now it's heading down the "WoW" clone highway at a rate of knots.Shame really,I said as much in the questionnaire they send you after you cancel your sub.As always it's the PvP crowd that gets a game nerfed to hell and back in the name of balance and it's the PvP crowd who bail out first when another "flav of the month" launches.

May take a look in 2 months time to see if things have changed,otherwise I will play City of Heroes (only mmo I have always gone back to lol) until SWTOR hits on whatever date :)

you can blame the pvp community all you want for the QQ'ing they did but its the devs who went ahead & caved to them. It's the same bad devs from Warhammer who thought BW's should be god mode that are behind the wheel at Trion doing the same thing all over again for Rift.

• ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527

I love the direction this thread has taken with almost everyone offering their personal opinion and few people disagreeing with someone or attacking someone else. I wish all mmorpg.com threads could stay in this tone. Very happy seeing the people keeping it polite and respectful here :D

So that having been said, all I have to add is I really enjoyed the two free weekends. In considering all the positive and negative opinions, I've been waiting to see how it develops and might still wait until feedback after 1.2. I'm on the fence with it this weekend to buy it as a second MMO paired with Aion. I might even play them both at the same time just to have something else to do while my Aion character crafts or sells stuff, and vice versa when I hit the Rift crafting treadmill.

From what I gather, it is very entertaining at first for most players including my personal experience playing it two weekends, but the content and balance suffers a bit for more dedicated MMO gamers in warfronts and endgame. I'm the type that can take years instead of months to reach max level in any MMO (even took me around 2 years in WOW to hit 60), so it sounds like I would spend more time seeing the best it has to offer.

I'm off to go read the 1.2 patch notes to see what the road ahead looks like, then I'll decide to jump back in to it or hold off :) Thanks everyone for your feedback.

• NemisarieNemisarie Member Posts: 19

Originally posted by tuter

I like the game, and I have no intention to prove why I should. Just saw all the threads saying this game is not good and will die makes me wonder am I the only one like it. Or, maybe these threads (try to) give a false impression that this game does not worth to try.

So, please reply if you also like it.

Well, if you don't, no problem. But I am not expecting you to post in this thread, because you have so many others to post on.

I will judge how lonely I am by the number of reply.

Actually It's a great game, I played through all the betas and a month after. I just didnt like the community when i played, 90% of them seemed like elitist wow rejects that cried cause there was no I win button and blamed others when they died from their own stupidity, so i got fed up and quit playing.. But I hope that has changed a bit now and you are having a great time cause it really is a good game.

• osc8rosc8r Member UncommonPosts: 688

Originally posted by sudo

My builds are op

Yeah and you must be one of those crybaby warriors who cant kill me - I was mage from day one - before the "OP" patch happened.  And I'll still be laying waste to babies like you in open pvp and wf's after the next patch too.

He's right though, certain mages spec's are, and have always been stupidly overpowered and in that time Trion buffed them. Yet Sab's were only doing >50% of mages damage, and Trion felt the need to nerf them into oblivion. And they still haven't fixed the major disc. with ap and sp.

Let's face it, Trion have zero clue what they were doing, and just did knee jerk reactions to the level 30 QQ on their forums. They seemed to have learnt their lession, but the age of OP mages won't be ending anytime soon with the BW dev in charge.

Not that it matters, even if the game was remotely balanced the PVP is still a complete joke - I mean, WF grinds as endgame PVP? lol. And I thought WOW had bad PVP....

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

I enjoyed it for about 6 weeks, hit lvl 50, got 3 crafting/gathering skills to at/near 300, bought a 110% mount, ran countless  Rifts while leveling and geared up my avatar in Ia decent mix of blue/purple gear ready to tackle T1/T2 dungeons. 

Then decided I was traveling down a road I no longer wish to gol.

And am now playing EVE again

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

Originally posted by EbonHawk

This is something I just can't fathom.  So let me ask the certain individuals who reach max level and play games (more importantly MMOs') that are released less than 2 months old, how they can expect a vast end-game experience?

These things take time, just like anything else in life that one enjoys.

I just don't get it...

I dont think any devs design a game with them in mind. They have too much time on their hands and nothing makes them happy, its a no-win situation and if devs ever did for some odd reason make an mmorpg with them in mind it would take 10 years, cost 500 million dollars and then those same people would beat it in 9 months and still complain. Im takin' bets.