Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good riddance to healers

gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

I am so happy arenanet is scrapping the healer class and dumping it into the trash where it belongs. I am glad some developer out there realized that it is absurd to have one class hold so much power in deciding if an entire group wins or loses, survives or dies. it boggles my mind how such an insanely stupid mechanic was ever able to exist. in almost every single mmo out there, it is the #1 cause for people not being able to play with each other: because they cannot find a healer to group with. does it make sense that 5 people are not able to play together just because they are missing one specific player? does it make sense to be forced to level a character you dont even like just so you can get groups? no it doesnt.

Thank you arenanet and good riddance healer class.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

Comments

• alderdalealderdale Member Posts: 301

I couldnt agree more, the days of having to work together as a team where each player represents and brings to the table some unique aspect are forever history! Rejoice! For we  usher in a new era of homogeneous classes where everyone can do everything and specialization can die the over due and painfull death that it deserves.  Bring it on!

EDIT:  Hark!  Come to think of it, how quickly can we kill tanks, DPS classes, buffers and CC specs.  I cant count the number of times I couldnt group due to the absence of one of these ridiculously specialized classes.  Snap to it DEVS!

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by alderdale

I couldnt agree more, the days of having to work together as a team where each player represents and brings to the table some unique aspect are forever history! Rejoice! For we  usher in a new era of homogeneous classes where everyone can do everything and specialization can die the over due and painfull death that it deserves.  Bring it on!

Thank you, I can't agree more.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

Originally posted by alderdale

EDIT:  Hark!  Come to think of it, how quickly can we kill tanks, DPS classes, buffers and CC specs.  I cant count the number of times I couldnt group due to the absence of one of these ridiculously specialized classes.  Snap to it DEVS!

lol have fun playing gw2. i know i will be.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• wehavewehave Member Posts: 14

I also hate that everybody looks different and everybody has different power...

I want games where everyone looks the same and have the same powers.

And while we are at it , what about 1 name for everone?

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

Sounds like one of those "I refuse to roll a class that doesn't get mad DPS" types.  The pan-MMO hunter, if you will.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

it will be funny to see people trying to blame healer for dying when there is no healer lol. I can see it already dps dies blames healer then realizes should of healed self. Will be funny to see.

Now fail dps that stand in crap will realize healers dont have unlimited resources and people who stand in crap and do idiotic stuff like think watching there threat isnt part of there job its only tanks job. Realize they die because they are just bad will be so much fun.

Healers have a thankless job as do tanks so the one good thing getting rid of a dedicated healer will do is make all the idjits who blame healers for failing take a look in mirror and realize maybe they are reason group failed by forcing healer to use resources keepign them alive till they run out.

• creepsvillecreepsville Member Posts: 76

Originally posted by kalinis

it will be funny to see people trying to blame healer for dying when there is no healer lol. I can see it already dps dies blames healer then realizes should of healed self. Will be funny to see.

In gw2 they will blame whomever for not reviving them instead.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Now fail dps that stand in crap will realize healers dont have unlimited resources and people who stand in crap and do idiotic stuff like think watching there threat isnt part of there job its only tanks job. Realize they die because they are just bad will be so much fun.

Healers have a thankless job as do tanks so the one good thing getting rid of a dedicated healer will do is make all the idjits who blame healers for failing take a look in mirror and realize maybe they are reason group failed by forcing healer to use resources keepign them alive till they run out.

They can blame their hotkey 4 for not healing them :)

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

its funny how people somehow think that "having no dedicated healing class" is synonymous with "boring and no diversity." the moment someone tries to pull them away from the the archaic healer-tank-dps formula they start screaming bloody murder. just because you guys cant think outside the box and comprehend how a game can be fun and interesting using different kinds of mechanics you are unfamiliar with, doesnt mean its not possible.

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

Well that rules GW2 out for my wife she loves to play healers.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by xKingdomx

Its actually 6

• dreamtheatredreamtheatre Member Posts: 5

Looking forward to play a 50 hp firestorm warrior.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

My issue isnt the no dedicated healer. I do wonder how it will work but i have no issue with it.

I do love to play healers though so thats a bummer . That said my whole  issue was with the tone of the first post. He was basicly blaming healers for every wipe they have ever had.

Blaming them for not being able to get a group. The whole post was a rant against healers and even the thank your to arena net for getting rid of healer claass was a shot at healers.

Sounds to me like a bitter dps who cant learn to get the heck out of fire or to watch there aggro and dies because of it. That said  i love healing its a balst.

Oh ive run plenty of pugs and raids on my healer and been told what a great healer i was. That said i know im not the best healer around im probably a good healer but im not the elite. I wipe some as everyone does but sometimes its because the dps doesnt realie they have to watch aggor and get oout of crap on ground not because of my healing.

I applaud a net for thinnking outside the box im just not sure how well no dedicated healer will work. If nothing else maybe the people who blame healers for everythign will realize sometimes its not healers fault they die.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

My issue isnt the no dedicated healer. I do wonder how it will work but i have no issue with it.

I do love to play healers though so thats a bummer . That said my whole  issue was with the tone of the first post. He was basicly blaming healers for every wipe they have ever had.

Blaming them for not being able to get a group. The whole post was a rant against healers and even the thank your to arena net for getting rid of healer claass was a shot at healers.

Sounds to me like a bitter dps who cant learn to get the heck out of fire or to watch there aggro and dies because of it. That said  i love healing its a balst.

Oh ive run plenty of pugs and raids on my healer and been told what a great healer i was. That said i know im not the best healer around im probably a good healer but im not the elite. I wipe some as everyone does but sometimes its because the dps doesnt realie they have to watch aggor and get oout of crap on ground not because of my healing.

I applaud a net for thinnking outside the box im just not sure how well no dedicated healer will work. If nothing else maybe the people who blame healers for everythign will realize sometimes its not healers fault they die.

Its about time that happened. Now people will have to be able to support their teammates and keep themselves alive at the same time. They can't get carried anymore just because they have a good tank and healer.

• MorbidCurioMorbidCurio Member Posts: 127

Originally posted by wehave

I also hate that everybody looks different and everybody has different power...

I want games where everyone looks the same and have the same powers.

And while we are at it , what about 1 name for everone?

because that's even remotely related to the op.

I get what he's saying though. At the same time, to be honest, the idea of 'tanks' should be removed as well. Why? Because you should be playing a character, not a class. You know how devs have repeatedly said they want people to take the player, not the class? Well, that will never happen so long as the trinity exists. I would rather play with people I like who are playing characters they like.

Some people like playing healers though, I get that. I also see the other side of the coin and can say that needing specific classes to be able to do normal PvE content (note: not raids) doesn't make any sense. The percentage of people who like playing healers/tanks is pretty low, but the ego that these people usually have could fill a zeppelin. I can't tell you how many whiney tanks or bitchy, horrible healers I've had to put up with over the years. And it's clear that these people don't really like playing these classes, but only do it to feel important and to get easy groups because they know few people play those classes.

Some people like playing a guy that heals, some people like playing a guy with a sword and a shield that takes crap loads of damage, but a lot of people fall into these roles because their guild needs them to or because they class they wanted to play is overpopulated and it's too hard to form groups. I find playing a healer, as they exist right now, to be utterly and completely boring. Healing isn't hard by any stretch of the imagination, but it's extremely boring....especially in current raid setups.

How about instead of creating a class, devs create characters that can do x or y. Give me a character when I -can- heal and it might make things -easier-, but don't make it a necessity of normal group play (again, non-raids...not talking about pvp at all here).

That's not to say give -every- character a heal, but focus on creating -characters- not -classes-. Let people choose the characters they want to play and give groups the freedom to take people they like, rather than people they have to put up with. this might even help guild communities. I can't tell you how many guild healers or tanks that have been enormous d-bags simply because they knew the guild needed them and wouldn't say anything about it.

Let me really bring the player, not the class.

Originally posted by gessekai332

its funny how people somehow think that "having no dedicated healing class" is synonymous with "boring and no diversity." the moment someone tries to pull them away from the the archaic healer-tank-dps formula they start screaming bloody murder. just because you guys cant think outside the box and comprehend how a game can be fun and interesting using different kinds of mechanics you are unfamiliar with, doesnt mean its not possible.

Wake up, it is only the first step on the path to a dedicated zerg system.  Ever played one of the monster hunter-type games that are unusually popular with the japanese these days?  If not, go to youtube and look up any old clip of a Godzilla movie, and notice how chaotic and ineffective it is for the military to hurl endless tanks at a maurading monster.  There you just played all of them.

PVE, boss fights in particular, works best with roles.  I am going to go out on a limb here, and guess that you don't like being chased around by a boss while you are trying to camp in the corner and fling your arrows.  Things like tanks prevent that from happening, they will be the next thing to go if people like you continue to have their way.

Originally posted by romanator0

Originally posted by xKingdomx

Its actually 6

another reason why i am happy they are canning healers. we wont have to deal with condenscending healers that think they are better than everyone else because they think they have a harder role to play. now in gw2, everyone will have a chance to equally help the party, not just healers and tanks.

Originally posted by twodayslate

Wake up, it is only the first step on the path to a dedicated zerg system.  Ever played one of the monster hunter-type games that are unusually popular with the japanese these days?  If not, go to youtube and look up any old clip of a Godzilla movie, and notice how chaotic and ineffective it is for the military to hurl endless tanks at a maurading monster.  There you just played all of them.

PVE, boss fights in particular, works best with roles.  I am going to go out on a limb here, and guess that you don't like being chased around by a boss while you are trying to camp in the corner and fling your arrows.  Things like tanks prevent that from happening, they will be the next thing to go if people like you continue to have their way.

who said i wanted to abolish roles? i just dont agree with having one person in charge of all the life support of the group. there are still enough roles to be filled even if the healing role had to be shared throughout the party.

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

Originally posted by karat76

That depends on what your wife loves about playing a healer. Does she like to play a healer because she loves supporting her team, help keeping them alive, and helping them achieve their goals? If so, there will still be a role for her in GW2 (water elementalist, guardian, heck, even necromancer).

Or does she love to play a healer literally only because she enjoys watching health bars go up because of the skills she is pressing? In that case, it might, indeed, rule GW2 out for her.

Originally posted by sidhaethe

That depends on what your wife loves about playing a healer. Does she like to play a healer because she loves supporting her team, help keeping them alive, and helping them achieve their goals? If so, there will still be a role for her in GW2 (water elementalist, guardian, heck, even necromancer).

Or does she love to play a healer literally only because she enjoys watching health bars go up because of the skills she is pressing? In that case, it might, indeed, rule GW2 out for her.

Is the latter even a real thing?  Or is that just a sexist quip?  Can't say that I have ever talked to anyone who rolled a healer so they can watch health bars sparkle with pretty pretty colors.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Sorry but put that way it sounds like fun. I'd actually pay for a game like that.

I want to be chased, I want danger.

Have you ever been a ranged DD in a typcial boss fight where the tank holds the boss ad infinitum and the healer keeps the tank alive?

You basically hold down your main attack and watch a movie until you hear the boss go down.

it's ok for battle to be chaotic. What makes it interesting is what the players do within that chaos.

I'm not for getting rid of healers per se, I loved the GW 1 priest class as it was interesting. However, I am for getting rid of tank - healer - DD "tank and spank" fights.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Is the latter even a real thing?  Or is that just a sexist quip?  Can't say that I have ever talked to anyone who rolled a healer so they can watch health bars sparkle with pretty pretty colors.

.....why on earth would it be a sexist quip? I'm trying to distinguish between two mindsets and what might motivate someone to become a healer. Most people who have problems with healing or, rather, like the role they play but not the traditional requirements of the role are familiar with the "whack-a-mole" characterization of being a main healer, and many MMOs have attempted to rectify this particular slump that healing classes can get into, either by requiring that healers simultaneously do damage (AOC's Bear Shaman, WAR's Shaman, Rift's Chloromancer etc.) or trying to make the healing mechanic more interesting (i.e. Bards, Minstrels, Tempests of Set, etc.), or reverting to the original D&D heavily-armored Cleric archetype (EQ, EQII, Rift).

ANet itself has referred to healing as typified in other gams as "pushing up bars." The gender of the person doing it has nothing to do with it.

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709

Yea, and instead of everyone looking for a healer, everyone will be looking for a water elementalist or such, which will also be a rare path someone will take and will bring the same problem as having set roles. Ohhh and yes, that support class will get the "hey, you also heal, kk???" in groups.

What i'm saying (and hopefully i'm going to be wrong here) is that even if the devs plan for no dedicated roles, players will "force" other players (who they think they are "best" for the job) into dedicated roles. And then those players will begin to cry "people expect me to heal and i cannot do it i need better/stronger spells" - and the devs will adapt, here we go, dedicated healing class. Of course nothing can be said until the game goes live but call it a hunch and keep it in mind :)

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515

Originally posted by gessekai332

Actually they have already gotten there way. GW2 not only doesnt have dedicated healers, but there isnt an aggro mechanic for tanking either.

What i find amusing about the people doomsaying about how you need roles is that there are in fact very fun and successful games that have done exactly what Arenanet is doing. Truth be told, what Arenanet is doing with no dedicated healer or aggro mechanic in a multiplayer/class based game is something that they have done long ago in a different game that some of them worked on. You might have heard of a little game back in the day called Diablo 2(and Diablo 1). People seem to forget that Arenanet's founders are former programmers/developers of Blizzard.

I dont know about the rest of you, but D2 was the reason i bought a computer in the first place. It was a very addicting and fun game i enjoyed playing with my friends and much like what is being discussed here about GW2, it also had no dedicated healer class or tanking mechanic for aggro and yet still had various classes and builds that were not homogenized into all playing the same way. The only thing that Arenanet is actually doing that is different(in reguards to class/roles) is there bringing this to an mmo.

Originally posted by simmihi

Yea, and instead of everyone looking for a healer, everyone will be looking for a water elementalist or such, which will also be a rare path someone will take and will bring the same problem as having set roles. Ohhh and yes, that support class will get the "hey, you also heal, kk???" in groups. Call it a hunch and keep it in mind for when the game goes live :)

a) There will always be people who will demand a certain makeup before they proceed with a group due to being unable to wrap their minds around the possibility of doing things without the trinity. Even in GW1 we saw this happen in elite dungeons until skilled PvP players came up with inceasingly wacky builds and ways of beating elite dungeons that did not adhere to the conventional PvE "wisdom" that "required" certain builds to proceed. GW2 will be no different.

b) Fortunately, since there is no need to group for Dynamic Events (due to the way credit is apportioned) and no ability to prevent people from participating, this will not be enough of an issue to exclude people from a majority of game content. Dungeon-running elitists will participate in this nonsense just long enough until some high-end PvP group shows how to clear a dungeon with three Thieves, and that will be the end of that.