Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jump to Lightspeed/Space Combat

VGTheoryVGTheory Member Posts: 110

Long before SWG, I was a fan and avid player of the X-wing and TIE fighter series of space flight sims.  Space battles are my favorite part of battlefront 2, and the JTL portions are my favorite parts of SWG (which have thankfully only been minorly touched, and mostly just improved while the rest of the game has suffered). 

What I am wondering is if there are any mainstream games (single player or MMO) that have a JTL-like aspect to them?  Spefically joystick controlled space combat, where ships are fully customizable (at least as much as JTL, swapping components, chasis, painting etc).

Comments

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

No ideas about single-player games these days... but I was researching space flight in mmos (around the time that swtor space combat on rails was announced) and came up with jumpgate evolution but it seems to have fallen off the radar and codemasters/netdevil seem to have split. The other I found was Vendetta Online MMO (1st person perspective) and it's not a bad effort, worth checking. Black Prophecy just released but seems to have a few issues I read about but seems closest to your pref. As to matching the decriptions of the games you mention can't help.

• VGTheoryVGTheory Member Posts: 110

Vendetta looks kinda crappy really...the ship the video maker is chasing seems to be moving in really inorganic ways.  I know "space" would allow for that in theory, but that makes targetting and chasing difficult, and unfun.

Black prophecy looks promising.

thanks for the info.

• lostscout5lostscout5 Member Posts: 57

it seems that there are some games with decent space combat or decent planet based action. The real trick seems to be finding one with both. That was the advantage SWG had before the NGE. If anyone could find a game with both space AND ground action, that were enjoyable it would be  a very welcome miracle.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

The one thing SOE did do right was add Jump to Lightspeed.    That was a really fun part of the game.   :)  It plays a lot like the old X-Wing vs Tie Fighter games.   Just lots of fun.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by lostscout5

it seems that there are some games with decent space combat or decent planet based action. The real trick seems to be finding one with both. That was the advantage SWG had before the NGE. If anyone could find a game with both space AND ground action, that were enjoyable it would be  a very welcome miracle.

Miracle is a good word for this I agree! Blackstar was going to be such a game on the PC. But now it is coming out for iOS and Android initially (It does and can run on a pc client but that is not released notably). Initially it will release the ground format first and "space_may_follow". This is what I am banking on for the time-being: It should release in a month or so and I'm fan of mmobiles (cheap arcade fun imo).

I read a comment around these forums (the avatar with the little bug crawling around) that Star Trek Online has a bit of both and this was agreeable to that person; is another option maybe?

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Teala

The one thing SOE did do right was add Jump to Lightspeed.    That was a really fun part of the game.   :)  It plays a lot like the old X-Wing vs Tie Fighter games.   Just lots of fun.

It certainly was... JTL i think for me pretty much defined the best parts of SWG - even learned the shipwright skills to make stuff for it..   (weaponsmith + shipwright) ... even had a 'shop' where i sold the things i made - reasonably priced too.... ... which just reminds me even more why i hate SOE so much image

Originally posted by Phry

Originally posted by Teala

It certainly was... JTL i think for me pretty much defined the best parts of SWG - even learned the shipwright skills to make stuff for it..   (weaponsmith + shipwright) ... even had a 'shop' where i sold the things i made - reasonably priced too.... ... which just reminds me even more why i hate SOE so much image

My feelings exactly.

slight necro on my own thread here; but I saw two things today that make me have mixed feelings about SOE...

first is that they have focused an update on improving the space combat parts of SWG (which may or may not be a good thing)

the second is that SWG will be shutting down at the end of the year.

This makes it suck even more that there's not a comporable space experience out there.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

There's Freelancer.  Thats an older game.  Very much like what you are talking about.  There are mods, which I have, where it puts Tie Fighters and X wings into the game, with cockpit view and third person camera activated.  You cant walk around inside the ships.  But otherwise its good.  The mod I have is Rebalance.  The games graphics hold up even today.  Its a game I go back and visit. 

There are also supposedly servers where people play together.  This is not an mmo.  But there are servers that function in a similar manner but Ive never messed with them.  I just play modded single player.  Im not sure if the game supports joystick functionality but I imagine it does.  I just play with a mouse and the game is extremely mouse friendly. 

But its a great flight sim and it has a sandbox style to it.  Id recommend checking it out sometime.  Best recommendation I could give. 

Originally posted by Corehaven

There's Freelancer.  Thats an older game.  Very much like what you are talking about.  There are mods, which I have, where it puts Tie Fighters and X wings into the game, with cockpit view and third person camera activated.  You cant walk around inside the ships.  But otherwise its good.  The mod I have is Rebalance.  The games graphics hold up even today.  Its a game I go back and visit. 

There are also supposedly servers where people play together.  This is not an mmo.  But there are servers that function in a similar manner but Ive never messed with them.  I just play modded single player.  Im not sure if the game supports joystick functionality but I imagine it does.  I just play with a mouse and the game is extremely mouse friendly. 

But its a great flight sim and it has a sandbox style to it.  Id recommend checking it out sometime.  Best recommendation I could give. 

Its been recommended, and I've looked into it, but its not the same, unfortunately.  Heck, X-Wing and TIE Fighter (the games) aren't the same either.

and SWTOR looks terrible from a space combat perspective...an on the rails shooter :-(