Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What happens if you don't get the expansions?

xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

I just started a 10 day WoW trial, and just wonder if it is possible to enjoy the game if I only get the original WoW game?

Like is expansions only restricting newer areas and level cap?

Also anyone know which is the most populated Oceanic server? they are all high on that server list......

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

Comments

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

If you don't get the expansions, then you don't get the content it has to offer. No regions, no new levels, no new items etc.

Playing only the vanilla-version is possible, but you will be fed up with it in a month and you won't find other people you can play with.

• ZoulzZoulz Member Posts: 477

There is actually no need to get the expansions until you are starting to hit 60. You won't miss out on anything.

• xxHanoverxxxxHanoverxx Member Posts: 28

...but buying the WOW Battle Chest that includes Burning Crusade is actually a cheaper way to get at least one expansion with vanilla wow.  You can get it as cheap as $20 online...

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
  • AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

You can´t level past 60.   You can´t  be a dranai, blood elf, worgen or goblin.   You can´t be a Death Knight.    Not sure about Inscription and Jewelcrafting.. i think those two they allow now.

If you can find the battlechest cheap, there is no reason to not get at least the first 2 expansion right away.   It is much cheaper overall than buying the orginal game then buying the expansions later.   That said, you can get the original game for almost nothing now, so you can just do that and play all the way to 60.  Between all the zones and different classes and races, there is a lot of fun content to be had for the initial $5 or whatever the original game is.  

The majority of players are 80 or above though, so you won´t really be running into many players except those who are rushign to get to 85.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Thanks for the response guys, but I am still wondering if the starting zones change when you install the expansion packs.

Like I just started a Night Elf, would my story change if I install TBC?

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• ZolgarZolgar Member Posts: 533

Originally posted by xKingdomx

Thanks for the response guys, but I am still wondering if the starting zones change when you install the expansion packs.

Like I just started a Night Elf, would my story change if I install TBC?

No. Your 1-60 gameplay is the same as everyone elses. Installing TBC will just let you go to Outland, level to 70, and roll Draeni and Blood Elf's.

0118 999 881 999 119 725... 3

• borockborock Member Posts: 42

No nothing will change. The game world is set regardless of what expansion you have. Right now, you are experiencing Azeroth after the cataclysm, just as everyone else with the expansions sees it. Buying expansions removes the restriction from zones/races available. With only the vanilla version of wow (the original game) you get access to azeroth and can reach level 60. When you buy the burning crusade u unlock levels 61-70, the outland zones, and the blood elf and draenei races. With wrath u unlock levels 71-80, all of northwrend zones, and the deathknight class. With Cata u unlock 81-85, and the 85 zones/raids/dungeons along with goblin and worgen races.

The game world will not change when u buy expansions. People with the expacs start off in the same post cataclysm world as people who only own Vanilla WoW, ur story will stay the same, and u can interact with everyone in the game (like run dungeons with them and stuff) up until u need to buy further expacs in order to increase in level. SO for u, u can play with everyone else leveling up from 1-60.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

needless to say but expansion races all have their own starting content

BC gives you access to new starting areas for levels 1-20 that any race can visit (if you own expansion)

Cataclysm also has new low level content 1-15 -- but its exclusively only for Goblins/Worgens -- other races cannot visit

problem I found is you wont see many players in "open world content" (outside of cities) anyhow

--- most players level 15+ are using the Dungeon finder or doing PVP

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

One more point. Starting from L13 or so, you also have a choice of running dungeons to level. You will have the SAME access to the SAME dungeons as everyone else until L58 or so .. when people start to run BC dungeons.