Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift=Solo Friendly?

khj0367khj0367 Member Posts: 15

I am considering getting Rift, but since my playing time is pretty awkward, there is a good chance I will spend majority of my time solo in this game.

Is this game solo friendly?

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

If you're asking whether you can reach max level by soloing, the answer is yes. Beyond that, for anything besides warfront PvP you'll need a group for most things.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Everything is solo-able minus the instances.  I would recommend a good CONSOLE game though if you're planning on taking the MM out of MMORPG

• minttunatorminttunator Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Yep, you only have to group to run dungeons.
  • Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

I solo 90% when i play MMO's (even in EvE) and Rifts caters a lot to solo players like myself.. I do enjoy the other 10% i spend grouping though, like when my guild forms up groups for rifts or when iam instancing.. There is actually a lot of both content.

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• RiftsoldierRiftsoldier Member Posts: 112

Rift is very soloable.

You can level to cap solo, you can craft to cap solo.

Once at cap you can do daily faction/money/crafting quests that will further give you rewards.

In the next patch they are implimenting a per server dungeon tool so finding a pick up group for expert dungeons shouldn't be a problem. Also joining a high population server should give you a better shot at finding groups at all hours.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by khj0367

I am considering getting Rift, but since my playing time is pretty awkward, there is a good chance I will spend majority of my time solo in this game.

Like most AAA MMOs these days it's extremely soloable until you hit the cap, then you group or stop progressing.

• Perma_HexxPerma_Hexx Member UncommonPosts: 1

At some point you will have to do dungeons for the gear.  I would say join a relaxed guild just so you can find instance groups that are more likly to know what they are doing.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Originally posted by pierth

Like most AAA MMOs these days it's extremely soloable until you hit the cap, then you group or stop progressing.

I agree. I'd only add, as far as end-game, there is (on PvP servers) open- world PvP at any level that can be solo.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

Originally posted by astoria

Originally posted by pierth

I agree. I'd only add, as far as end-game, there is (on PvP servers) open- world PvP at any level that can be solo.

Unless they do wind up implementing some form of RvR I wouldn't bank on world PvP aside from 50s ganking lower levels. Especially with 1.2s LFG tool there will be even fewer out in the world and more people just queueing from the safety of Meridian and Sanctum.

• Merlin1977Merlin1977 Member Posts: 168

As others have pointed out, yes the game is solo friendly if you so wish it to be, but there are going to be some story quests which you may not be able to solo.  Crafting wise, yes you can do that to max level by yourself but getting gear beyond what you can get off crafters won't be happening for you unless you run dungeons.  Rifts are similar, the minor rifts you can solo at times but anything larger then a minor you will go squish.  

Only other thing i will point out is once you get to max lvl then you may get bored rapidly if crafting isn't your thing, or even if it is once you've maxed that out there won't be anything else left for you to do, as at max level it's all about dungeons, rifts, pvp and raiding.

• Sicc1Sicc1 Member UncommonPosts: 243

Originally posted by Ikeda

Everything is solo-able minus the instances.  I would recommend a good CONSOLE game though if you're planning on taking the MM out of MMORPG

This is just bad advice. I also solo allot due to having kids and working swingshift. But i do enjoy open pvp and warfronts and have managed to get prestige 4 by soloing. I have yet to run one instance and am having a blast. If you dont want to group you dont need to and telling someone to go play a console game becasue they dont want to slow down a group is bad advice i must say.

Darkfall - Sick
    Earthrise - Sick

Originally posted by Sicc1

Originally posted by Ikeda

This is just bad advice. I also solo allot due to having kids and working swingshift. But i do enjoy open pvp and warfronts and have managed to get prestige 4 by soloing. I have yet to run one instance and am having a blast. If you dont want to group you dont need to and telling someone to go play a console game becasue they dont want to slow down a group is bad advice i must say.

It really depends on what the OP is looking for overall. I get the soloist play but if he/sh is looking for anything aside from solo queuing warfronts (which is a terrible idea unless you get lucky enough to ride the coattails of a premade) then at endgame he/she is likely to be very disappointed. The majority of endgame is built around group play, not solo.

If the OP has no intention of doing anything other than leveling alts then Rift can be some good times, otherwise a single player game be it console or PC has better gameplay than one can find in MMOs. It has nothing to do with how anyone should play any genre, however even though MMOs are far more suited to solo play they still default nigh entirely to group or die at cap.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Rift is more solo friendly than a lot of console games.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

"Rift" is Nepalese for Solo image

But like all modern MMO's, they switch it up on you and the end game PVE  is clearly grouping/raiding centric.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• This game is so solo friendly, you'll probably be really bored and quit within the first month or two.  You'll get to level cap in about a week or two of casual play.  After that you'll have nothing to do but run around collecting a bunch of useless crap that doesn't give any benefits.  You can easily level your crafting at the same pace you level your character.

Advice:  Try the game, but do not sub for more than 1 month.... that way you won't lose out on the additional sub time you paid for and won't play.

• khj0367khj0367 Member Posts: 15

Thank you very much everyone.  I like MMORPG, and just want to have a game to play during my spare time.  I work overseas and my play time will be limited to a couple of hours a day opposite of US play times.

What would you recommend to be the best server to join to have a decent chance of finding a group?

• sloebersloeber Member UncommonPosts: 504

sometimes i wonder if people realy read up on a game befour they start posting their questions?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Originally posted by sloeber

sometimes i wonder if people realy read up on a game befour they start posting their questions?

Give the guy a break, sounds like he's a pretty busy person who doesn't have a lot of time to troll, er, read up on forums.

But to the OP, depends where overseas you are and what your prime time might be.

For example, it is now 9:00 am US Eastern time, and there is one High PVE server on the list, Wolfsbane and a score of Medium such as Briarcliff (PVP) Faeblight (PVE-RP), Harrow (PVP-RP), and Shatterbone (PVE).  There are so many more, so odds are good you'll find a server you like.

There are some recommended medium servers such as Epoch (PVP) and Crucia (PVE) that are likely to have the most new players.

Stay away from my server Ashtone, its current showing low and is primarily made up of US PST players.

Sounds like you are a perfect candidate for Rift, it is a good game just not my cup of tea really. (I'm back playing EVE)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• khj0367khj0367 Member Posts: 15

Great, thank you very much.  I just bought the game, and now I am waitting to pick up my new PC Monday.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Rift is too solo friendly, it is a sad day when you have to scratch your head to find a reason to group with people before top level in a massively multiplayer game.

But every MMO these days is like that, to be honest I don't know why players even ask this question any more, virtually nothing released in the past five years required groups before end level raiding.

I am not forgeting the odd dungeon, so lets say 2% of your pre end game content needed a group...whoppe! :)