Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SW:TOR will not be challenging WoW

12346»

Comments

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Originally posted by Adamantine

Star Wars is NOT Science Fiction. Its Fantasy.

Yeah there are no elves and dwarves. You dont need them. Alice in Wonderland had no elves either, but still its Fantasy.

And there are mages, and magic. They just call the mages Jedi, and the magic is called the Force.

Science Fiction is a genre that explores how the future might be.

Fantasy is a genre that explores fantasies, especially magic.

So yes, Star Wars clearly has some Science Fiction elements, but the core is Fantasy. The "Force" is a clear variant of magic.

Thats why Star Wars called is SF Fantasy, or Science Fantasy, or Space Opera - a subgenre of Fantasy, not of Science Fiction.

You're saying it's fantasy because it has magic. So the mere fact of it having an aspect of Fantasy makes it Fantasy. It also has robots and spaceships. So the mere fact it has aspects of Science Fiction makes it Science Fiction. You can't say it's one and not the other, basically.

I submit it's not a sub-genre of just Fantasy or Science Fiction, but it's own category alltogether.

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Originally posted by rygard49

Where did this mentallity of desiring the downfall of something successful come from? All these people who want to see WoW 'dethroned' as the most popular MMO need to get over it. I'm rooting for SW:ToR to do well, but not because I want it to kill WoW. Rather I'd like to see it be successful because I'm a fan of Star Wars and I dig BioWare games.

So yeah, they shouldn't be challenging WoW outright. They should be their own game and make their own success and not worry about pulling subs away from other companies.  Once you start trying to directly compete with someone, you begin adopting their style. If anything innovative is going to come out of BioWare, it's going to be because they weren't trying to compete with the big game on the block.

Yeah, I agree with you. Pretty lame. As someone who enjoys this hobby and wants it to flourish I want as many games to do well as possible. I don't care if they reach WOW level success and they probably won't as that was a perfect storm, not likely to repeat itself soon. There is no reason for another game to topple WOW from the proverbial throne and I hope that TOR does fantastically well so that investors will start to put money in big budget MMOs some more and developers will learn to take the time and care to make the game right.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Yeah there are no elves and dwarves. You dont need them. Alice in Wonderland had no elves either, but still its Fantasy.

And there are mages, and magic. They just call the mages Jedi, and the magic is called the Force.

So yes, Star Wars clearly has some Science Fiction elements, but the core is Fantasy. The "Force" is a clear variant of magic.

Thats why Star Wars called is SF Fantasy, or Science Fantasy, or Space Opera - a subgenre of Fantasy, not of Science Fiction.

You're saying it's fantasy because it has magic. So the mere fact of it having an aspect of Fantasy makes it Fantasy. It also has robots and spaceships. So the mere fact it has aspects of Science Fiction makes it Science Fiction. You can't say it's one and not the other, basically.

I submit it's not a sub-genre of just Fantasy or Science Fiction, but it's own category alltogether.

Actually, the "Force" to me seems to be nothing more than psychic abilities that are created and tapped into by the presence of a bio-organism in your system (metachlorians [spelling?] - I always hated this explaination personally, but there you go.)  That makes Star Wars completely Science Fiction.  Just because someone perceives the effect as "magic" doesn't make it so.  Seriously, the Native Americans originally thought rifles were magic fire sticks, but that didn't change the fact that they are a scientifically created device.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by Dvalon

It's star wars, of course their gona pull millions of players from wow, hell star wars is the reasona a vast number of people got into games in the first place, and that will not have been forgotten .

SW:ToR doesn't look like much more than any other sci-fi game with lightsabers tbh. Star Wars, imo, is x-wings, tie fighters, Darth Vader, Storm troopers...not kotor crap. The name alone isn't enough to draw "millions" any longer.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by TUX426

It's star wars, of course their gona pull millions of players from wow, hell star wars is the reasona a vast number of people got into games in the first place, and that will not have been forgotten .

SW:ToR doesn't look like much more than any other sci-fi game with lightsabers tbh. Star Wars, imo, is x-wings, tie fighters, Darth Vader, Storm troopers...not kotor crap. The name alone isn't enough to draw "millions" any longer.

True. But the combination of Star Wars and Bioware however is a pretty strong one. It doesn't guarantee success, but it's certainly more potential as combination than other combinations of game company and franchise that we've seen for MMO's for the last 7 years.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• RendRegenRendRegen Member Posts: 158

Originally posted by nimbuszero2

Originally posted by RendRegen

quoted for truth. also the game looks completely kickass, and so does guild wars 2. wow is going to take som punches in 2011/2012, although it wont die or anything like that.

funny since i hated swtor at first. the graphics looked crap and animations too, but now it looks better than anything else on the market

It doesn't look better than TERA :p  Played some beta and the graphics + fluidity of animation is almost hard to believe when you first play it. If SW:TOR looked like that, the WoW slave ships would need to find a way to row themselves.

I agree TERA has nice animations, but it's not on the market yet is it? anyway i'd love to play it if it had western looks. the anime style of the game is a little too weird for me

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

Originally posted by GMan3

Actually, the "Force" to me seems to be nothing more than psychic abilities that are created and tapped into by the presence of a bio-organism in your system (metachlorians [spelling?] - I always hated this explaination personally, but there you go.)  That makes Star Wars completely Science Fiction.  Just because someone perceives the effect as "magic" doesn't make it so.  Seriously, the Native Americans originally thought rifles were magic fire sticks, but that didn't change the fact that they are a scientifically created device.

You guys are aware that Sci-Fi is a sub-genre of fantasy, so this argument is not only stupid but pointless?

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by madeux

Originally posted by GMan3

You guys are aware that Sci-Fi is a sub-genre of fantasy, so this argument is not only stupid but pointless?

Actually, Science Fiction and Fantsy are their own sub-genres.  Just as is Historical Fiction, Romance, and Mystery.  ALL of these are sub-genre's of FICTION though.  Before you start insinuating people are stupid, you might want to get your facts straight.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"