Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MO looking back

ange10ange10 Member Posts: 307

the game was released after 9 months of delay I think, it was meant to release around 2009 summer time but released 2010 but it march because of lack of funds to keep the game in development and so  they needed a update from epic because the game had desync issues etc, this delayed them for a very long time which was fixed eventully with jesus patch 2.0

its said that their development was pushed back by six months.

they then got like a new engine build and have been spending time converting the old code to new code but it taking alot of time and getting the old code to work with the new code with flash etc is time exhausting.

its been a year since its been released now, with people saying that the game was near its death but no its getting stronger and better and if you look at the game now it has improved alot.

they have got to the point they say, where they do not have to be working on the core systems anymore and now can focus on adding content to it.

they decided to call the next mega patch a expansion known as "dawn" because they believe this is a new chapter in MO hisoty.

there are some people who have been bashing the game for quite some time.

some stuff they say is that "release dvds was not sent out" <--- they never had the money to send out the dvds, they sent out 1000 copies with beta disc in them , but the money would be wasted if they was going to send a disc when you can get it on the website...which is not outdated.

If you notice, the people who generally speak bad about the game, do not speak bad about the game but the company itself.

but hte company has always given us extra time when things get bad, the server may have had a few hic ups here and there but its not just mortal online, many niche companies suffer from this, for example just look at the state xsyon is in.

those very same people bashing the game, was supporting a game such as xsyon, even when it suffers similar ploblems as MO did around release.

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985

Originally posted by ange10

some stuff they say is that "release dvds was not sent out" <--- they never had the money to send out the dvds, they sent out 1000 copies with beta disc in them , but the money would be wasted if they was going to send a disc when you can get it on the website...which is not outdated.

If you notice, the people who generally speak bad about the game, do not speak bad about the game but the company itself.

but hte company has always given us extra time when things get bad, 

So.. if I read this post correctly you are stating that they couldn't send out the release DVDs that people paid for and were promised because they didn't have enough money to do so but then also state that the company always compensate you when things get bad.  Can I ask what compensation was given to those players who bought the boxed version of the game but never received the promised DVDs due to, as you say, the company not having enough money to send them?  Were they ever given an apology?  Were they ever offerered any form of compensation?  

As you yourself said, many people speak badly about the company and the example you gave perfectly illustrates why...  at least in my opinion.

As for this part:

"they decided to call the next mega patch a expansion known as "dawn" because they believe this is a new chapter in MO

hisoty."  

Do you recall the Henrick created hype around the "Epic Patch" where it was going to turn the game into Mortal Online 2.0?  That was his spin back in September of 2010:  http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/292768/Henrick-IRC-chat-New-Epic-Patch-is-so-incredible-it-equals-Mortal-Online-2-Miracle-patch.html

To me, his hype around how Dawn is the new starting ground seems eerilly similar to what was hyped before.   Time will tell though, and the proof will be known when it releases.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• BetelBetel Member Posts: 365

the game was released after 9 months of delay I think, it was meant to release around 2009 summer time but released 2010 but it march because of lack of funds to keep the game in development and so  they needed a update from epic because the game had desync issues etc, this delayed them for a very long time which was fixed eventully with jesus patch 2.0

Desync or whatever you want to call it is not fixed. After SV and others claimed it was fixed, they reverted the code to a previous version because the "fixed" version was so terrible and led to howls on the official boards. God knows what they are going to do next.

they then got like a new engine build and have been spending time converting the old code to new code but it taking alot of time and getting the old code to work with the new code with flash etc is time exhausting.

Yet other games working with UE have no problems. Even the terrible games made with UE actually WORK, unlike MO's systems. Is it perhaps because SV does not have any experience in programming beyond student interns and simple modding? SV got a degree student to design their AI - and it is still ingame. Is it any wonder it doesn't work?

its been a year since its been released now, with people saying that the game was near its death but no its getting stronger and better and if you look at the game now it has improved alot.

Stronger in what way?

Financially they are in a deep deep hole, subs are a tiny % of client sales, and the game still barely works.

they have got to the point they say, where they do not have to be working on the core systems anymore and now can focus on adding content to it.

So combat is now fixed is it? Don't think the majority of official board posters agree with you there.

they decided to call the next mega patch a expansion known as "dawn" because they believe this is a new chapter in MO hisoty.

Like the Epic Patch was meant to be MO 2.0? How did that work out then? :)

there are some people who have been bashing the game for quite some time.

And there are people who promote it without any regard to the truth too.

This is one of two things they did that would be considered illegal in my country. Promised an item at point of sale, then did not supply it, and charging a credit card with no explicit consent from the card holder.

With good reason, see above. But the game itself is worthy of criticism too.

but hte company has always given us extra time when things get bad, the server may have had a few hic ups here and there but its not just mortal online, many niche companies suffer from this, for example just look at the state xsyon is in.

The servers were down over 12 times in a day, with 3 or 4 being average, for over 10 months. I can't think of ANY game with that record.

those very same people bashing the game, was supporting a game such as xsyon, even when it suffers similar ploblems as MO did around release.

I have never supported Xyson (I have not played it so have no opinion on it) but I did play MO and know it is worthy of criticism.

{mod edit}

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

all i can say is this.

i'v played MO from launch up untill a month ago with a 2 month brake right after the Epic patch.

i loved the idea of a seamless, real time world with day night cycles. i love the idea of full loot open world pvp. i love the feel of combat (when it's working correctly). i love the mount system, the taming, the riding, the riding combat, the mounts that dont disappear unless you stable them. i love the magic system. love the crafting, and gathering system. love the pet system. love the fact that you can build houses, keeps, bridges and actually change the way the world looks. love how there is no easy, instant travel. love how there is no levels just a very fast skill progression. love the fact that you can actually steal in this game. absolutely love how this game doesn't hold your hand and forces you to interact with people. love the look, and art style of the game. there are just so many things i love about this game.

but:

i cannot stand SV and all the empty promises they have continuously spoon fed to everyone time after time after time. i cannot justify their incompetence when it comes to selling a functional, solid, working product. i do not agree with how they deal with cheaters and exploiters. do not agree with how their GMs interact with the player base. do not like how strictly they censor their forums. do not like how they treat their paying customers as a whole.

all i want to know is: how long have you been playing  MO?

• ange10ange10 Member Posts: 307

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

all i can say is this.

i'v played MO from launch up untill a month ago with a 2 month brake right after the Epic patch.

i loved the idea of a seamless, real time world with day night cycles. i love the idea of full loot open world pvp. i love the feel of combat (when it's working correctly). i love the mount system, the taming, the riding, the riding combat, the mounts that dont disappear unless you stable them. i love the magic system. love the crafting, and gathering system. love the pet system. love the fact that you can build houses, keeps, bridges and actually change the way the world looks. love how there is no easy, instant travel. love how there is no levels just a very fast skill progression. love the fact that you can actually steal in this game. absolutely love how this game doesn't hold your hand and forces you to interact with people. love the look, and art style of the game. there are just so many things i love about this game.

but:

i cannot stand SV and all the empty promises they have continuously spoon fed to everyone time after time after time. i cannot justify their incompetence when it comes to selling a functional, solid, working product. i do not agree with how they deal with cheaters and exploiters. do not agree with how their GMs interact with the player base. do not like how strictly they censor their forums. do not like how they treat their paying customers as a whole.

all i want to know is: how long have you been playing  MO?

I think you are like the only person I know who actually doesn't spin stuff and there is geniune reason to be upset. this i agree with, some players i think are some who exploit but then i know some people who was banned aswell.

{mod edit}

ive been playing since beta.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

but hte company has always given us extra time when things get bad

I believe that statement to be incorrect.

• WhitetreeWhitetree Member Posts: 76

I played open beta (which was honestly the worst MMO experience I've ever had), and have tried the free trial a couple of different occasions.

The thing that upsets me about Mortal is the sheer potential completely wasted here. It has one of the most beautiful (albeit empty and lifeless) worlds I've ever seen, and the near-void in the MMO market today waiting to be filled with a solid open-world sandbox successor to UO begs for Mortal to be what it needs.

The fact is, it just isn't. At this point, it would probably be best for Star Vault to reconsider nearly everything they've done with it and start from scratch. Unfortunately, there's no way they'd find the funding for that.

The stories I've heard of SV taking money from customers and not delivering the product is just downright thievery. I will never, I repeat NEVER, support a company which obviously operates with such lack of ethics. So, in spite of my desire for Mortal to succeed, it will never have my subscription unless there are some major changes both in the company and the game.

For now, I'm going to go see if Darkfall has gotten any better. I sure do miss what Ultima Online was. I wish the WoW generation could have known what the real MMO was like.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards. -Lois McMaster Bujold

The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just. -Abraham Lincoln

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985

its said that their development was pushed back by six months.

There is a great article that was just posted on this site that really nails the whole "indy" developer thing you describe above (lack of funds, etc...) http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/313679/General-Grinds-My-Gears-On-the-Subject-of-Indy-Games.html

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018