Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How tactical is the combat?

YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Like are there different roles, such as damage dealer, medic, buffer/debuffer/CC, stealthers, tanks etc? Or is it your standard FPS affair with whoever deals out the most damage/head shots etc wins?

Comments

• superslayasuperslaya Member UncommonPosts: 55

There are four classes to fill different roles, and feat trees, gear assortments, and upgrades to further customize yourself into your desired role.

There are no headshots, and it will almost always come down to strategy and group composition to decide whether you win or not.

Good game.

• nickman1993nickman1993 Member Posts: 287

There are four classes The Medic, Assualt, recon, and robotics

The medic can be either poison or healer

The assualt can be either tank or AoE bomber

The recon can be either sniper, melee, or bomber (CC)

The robotics can be either use pets or turrets

Thats basically how all the classes break down w/ some variety depending on playstyle of course 

Edit: It just recently went f2p I encourage you to check it if you are interested (be warned about community i recommend changing your chat options to ignore city chat....) I can even give you a code to get 50% of elite status if you would like 

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Ah cool, so you can be a CC "class" in this game. How viable is it, in PvP?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

It's nearly Team Fortress 2 with additional character options and some instanced PvE content. It is largely a zerg fest, but teams capable of utilizing tactical thinking will do much better than teams that don't. It is team based, not individual based, so one person doing a lot of damage won't win a match.

* edit *
    CC exists, and is a tactical feature, but unlike other mmorpg, it's the the deciding factor in every match.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Ok final question, do I have to be good at FPS twitch combat to be good at this game?

• SharookSharook Member Posts: 72

it might not be a super-twitchy shooter, but general fps skills are required for pvp at least.

Originally posted by Sharook

it might not be a super-twitchy shooter, but general fps skills are required for pvp at least.

Crap, I suck at FPS. :)

Thanks 

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Yamota

Thanks 

I am not 'good' at FPS games, but I'm certainly passable in Global Agenda. You have a hit box, so as long as you can more or less aim at the person, you should be fine. You don't have to head shot them to do well in the team environment. You can certainly have fun. I play a medic, and even with my poor skills and not stellar dps I can harass people enough that they don't stay on the capture point.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Dorko2kDorko2k Member Posts: 107

I'm terrible at twitch gaming but I'm a pretty good player in GA. I'm awful at Battlefield but GA is far more tactical & its more important to have quick thinking than a quick hand. The more you play it the better you get, typically. I've been in it since alpha testing & when I started I was getting rolled pretty regularly but as time went on I climbed my way to the top. I don't play it much anymore due to school & other games but for free, it's a great game. Honestly I paid full price for it & would do it again. For their 1st game, Hi-Rez knocked it outta the park imo.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Thanks 

I am not 'good' at FPS games, but I'm certainly passable in Global Agenda. You have a hit box, so as long as you can more or less aim at the person, you should be fine. You don't have to head shot them to do well in the team environment. You can certainly have fun. I play a medic, and even with my poor skills and not stellar dps I can harass people enough that they don't stay on the capture point.

Yeah but I assume you need to move around, strafe, jump, take cover and all that? Because my skills in FPS is basically limited to put the corshair on the other guy and activate weappon/power. 

All this strafing, jumping and sneaking around corners I am really bad at. Hence why I prefer games where you have a strong tactical and strategical elements and not so much your skill with the mouse.

Even so I will try this game and see how it works out as LoL is getting a bit old and there are no other good MMORPGs out for a while.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I would say it is pretty tactical with some FPS elements.

For example, in team "security" missions, it is best to have the engineers put shield/turrets/heal stations up at the right places. So there are a lot of non-shooting elements.

It is not the standard tank/healer/dps paradiagm but team-work can certianly be very helpful.

• Originally posted by lizardbones

It's nearly Team Fortress 2 with additional character options and some instanced PvE content. It is largely a zerg fest, but teams capable of utilizing tactical thinking will do much better than teams that don't. It is team based, not individual based, so one person doing a lot of damage won't win a match.

* edit *

CC exists, and is a tactical feature, but unlike other mmorpg, it's the the deciding factor in every match.

It is not a zerg fest in the post 30 pvp bracket.  It can be, but just one well placed turret can stop a zergfest in its tracks.

I was on a team just about an hour ago as a medic.  We zerged the payload to the first check point, which goes into a more contrained room.  Unfortunately my team was really bad and just kept zerging since it worked once and just get getting shredded by the same personal turret in a corner.  They wouldn't even go around and attack from the back.  I even told people exactly what to do.  Just on poor lone recon trying to bomb this turret.  I started tryign to kill it but with 2 robo and a medic protectiong it versus 1 recon and one medic it was just really sad.

The game in its ideal sense is quite tactical.  Later on there are enough good players to see at least some tactics.  But sometimes not.  You alomst never find two teams with no tactics in post 30 usually at least one has some.  lower levels many noobs just zerg or think recons should solo every turret.

• Originally posted by Yamota

Originally posted by lizardbones

Thanks 

Yeah but I assume you need to move around, strafe, jump, take cover and all that? Because my skills in FPS is basically limited to put the corshair on the other guy and activate weappon/power. 

All this strafing, jumping and sneaking around corners I am really bad at. Hence why I prefer games where you have a strong tactical and strategical elements and not so much your skill with the mouse.

Even so I will try this game and see how it works out as LoL is getting a bit old and there are no other good MMORPGs out for a while.

Its not entirely absolutely necessary to be able to strafe that well and move that well as an assault who is tank specced.  But no matter what if you cannnot simultaneously dodge and shoot you will be considerably worse thatn what you could be.

I will solo a minigun assault with melee as a medic if he can't keep up with me.   As a medic you gotta learn to move aroudn right you will die a ton.  Medic is actually the most in need of proper mobility of the classes. 

If you do not cover the map well and aggressively go after certain things, even as an assault trying to take a point, you will find yourself losing alot.

If you assume an assault with a medic will just stand on a point with a rocket turret blasting you well have fun dying.

• strangerdangstrangerdang Member Posts: 233

So far my favorite aspect of the PVE side of the game (since so much focus is on PVP) is the random traps set up in the pve instances.

Moving laser, crushers, jumping from moving elevator tops in an elevator shaft with a toxic sluge pit at the bottom, poison gas rooms with self shutting doors, water flooded room with live electrical wires in it...its such a nice addition to the usual mmo instances where you run though it and just kill everything.  It makes you time jumps, enter rooms cautiously, and take a second to watch whats going on before entering or attempting to run though whatever trap is in front of you.

Im sure it gets old after the first few times though, but i was very glad to have to be aware of my enviroment, and it was fun getting crushed by a dropping ceiling or getting locked in a poison gas room because its timed to shut in exaclty the amount of time it takes to run across it.  They need more of this in these types of games.

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

It can be as tactical as you want it to be.  There are multiple ways to win a PVE match, you don't necessarily have to rely on the balanced assault/medic/recon/robo approach.  I've beaten bosses by sticking to the classic tank/healer deal (there are some queeny players that get on an assault and insist every class has to serve them), and I've beaten bosses by hopping into a robo nest and commandeering aggro.  Part of the beauty of the game is that if you know what you are doing, you can take on a role that you aren't superficially designed for.