Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Excalibur

2»

Comments

• ShardWarriorShardWarrior Member Posts: 290

Cryptic did increase the zone limits to increase the amount of players in them.  From what I have read and experienced, it decreased performance and increased lag for many.  Cryptic's engine most likely cannot handle more than 100 players per instance.  EP Dan Stahl has made a few posts regarding "removing the instance barriers" and such, but IMO it's just wishful thinking on his part.  The heavy instancing has long been a complaint of Cryptic games.  Were their engine capable of working without them, they would have done so already.

I wouldn't categorise STO as a MMO.  It's little more than a single player game with a handful of dreadfully tedious team oriented quests tossed in.  You can play through most all the PvE content solo and never group with or speak to another player if you choose to.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by erictlewis

Do you all remember that there was a push on these forums to get STO un-listed as a MMORPG when it first came out, and how nasty those threads got.

I still say they need be unlisted, but there are other couch couch so called mmo's that are not that should be unlisted at all.  Co-op games that have maps and set players per map.

Yep, I remember it; I didn't agree with it. Although the overuse of instancing in STO, combined with the limited numbers of player per instance at launch, made it seem closer to those co-op games, STO still has the hallmarks of a MMO.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• Mr_CyberpunkMr_Cyberpunk Member Posts: 71

I think you'll find its probably the actual server hardware causing the lag. My concern however is that CO and STO are being run from the same server.. I know its a long shot but I wouldn't put it past cryptic- it'd sure explain why CO is able to hit higher instance numbers compared to STO despite being practically the same game lol.