Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's Play: Ask Neume, Producer for APB Reloaded!

Comments

• jmerriexjmerriex APB Reloaded ProducerMember Posts: 149

Originally posted by Asheram

Originally posted by jmerriex

Originally posted by the420kid
    when will the new progression patch notes be released on the blog I am very interested to see what you guys have done to the upgrades and the progression system.
    Some players are all about pure skill but for me its the rpg upgrade choices and unlock progression that keep me playing and I got high hopes for the new system love to read all about it.

This is a difficult one since it is referring to vast changes. For the most part the progression with contacts have changed. We converted the 6 rank design into 10 ranks. We haven't increased the amount of standing needed to get to the max rank though. Additionally we've spread out the rewards through the 10 ranks so that you no longer feel like you have to get to 6 to be rewarded. Most of the time when you rank up, you'll gain something.

Pureskill died a horrible death. Players for the most part didn't really understand the *WHY* behind pureskill. It was meant to be a band-aid while upgrades were being fixed. It didn't fix the problem. The new upgrade system (now called modifications) is going to be in the 1.5.0 build and it now allows upgrades to have downsides and also allows us to add new upgrades a lot easier than before.
    Finally, we have said about 1 billion times that we ARE doing Chaos Ruleset (renamed Turf Wars) and are hoping to have that ready for launch.

I am kind of curious as to why it sounds like you are saying the "players" didnt see the "WHY" behind it?Did you open up 2 different types of servers one with both rulesets and monitor the population on both or are you just refering to some vocal forum users?Because it sounds more like something you cant monetize as much as you would like and are trying to place " the why" on the players to me. 

I'm not sure how to respond to this...

PureSkill basically makes there be less to do in game. Which is a bad thing. Saying that we can't monetize it is very confusing because it would be much easier to monetize the game with PureSkill than without. We just sell all the coolest looking things and add a velvet rope. In so many ways PureSkill is the easy route. The better way to go about things is how we are doing it.

PureSkill was created to patch a hole in the upgrade system by removing the need for them. We decided to just fix the upgrades so they weren't so OP and were much more balanced. Therefore there is no need for PureSkill. Playing PureSkill just feels like a jip now because the stuff you worked for is completely useless.

Now in a tournament setting PureSkill might be fun. But in a world with Normal Action Districts, Turf War Action Districts and PureSkill, no one will play PureSkill. So, again, it died a horrible, horrible death.

www.apb.com

Twitter:
    @G1Neume

Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/APBReloaded

• DaitenguDaitengu Member Posts: 442

Will we be able to sell items, decals/tattoos, and/or premium modded clothing for G1 credits similar to how the original APB did?

• TwoLiterTwoLiter Member Posts: 3

Re-iterated:

What is the timeframe for bringing the EAST Coast servers online?

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Originally posted by Asheram

Pureskill died a horrible death. Players for the most part didn't really understand the *WHY* behind pureskill. It was meant to be a band-aid while upgrades were being fixed. It didn't fix the problem. The new upgrade system (now called modifications) is going to be in the 1.5.0 build and it now allows upgrades to have downsides and also allows us to add new upgrades a lot easier than before.

Finally, we have said about 1 billion times that we ARE doing Chaos Ruleset (renamed Turf Wars) and are hoping to have that ready for launch.

I am kind of curious as to why it sounds like you are saying the "players" didnt see the "WHY" behind it?Did you open up 2 different types of servers one with both rulesets and monitor the population on both or are you just refering to some vocal forum users?Because it sounds more like something you cant monetize as much as you would like and are trying to place " the why" on the players to me. 

I'm not sure how to respond to this...

PureSkill basically makes there be less to do in game. Which is a bad thing. Saying that we can't monetize it is very confusing because it would be much easier to monetize the game with PureSkill than without. We just sell all the coolest looking things and add a velvet rope. In so many ways PureSkill is the easy route. The better way to go about things is how we are doing it.

PureSkill was created to patch a hole in the upgrade system by removing the need for them. We decided to just fix the upgrades so they weren't so OP and were much more balanced. Therefore there is no need for PureSkill. Playing PureSkill just feels like a jip now because the stuff you worked for is completely useless.

Now in a tournament setting PureSkill might be fun. But in a world with Normal Action Districts, Turf War Action Districts and PureSkill, no one will play PureSkill. So, again, it died a horrible, horrible death.

Still kind of curious how you "know" no one would play pureskill?I have been in your beta since the start and have seen only 1 server type.As far as you trying to say it would be easier to monetize I think that is a load.You will be selling all the coolest looking stuff(or am I mistaken about a 5/5/25 layer limit on a free account)and adding the velvet rope on your normal ruleset plus all the $$$ bonus packages to speed up the "grind" a bit to get the other stuff(upgrades and such) you would use in a non pureskill server.

• shade273shade273 Member UncommonPosts: 47

Will we see more guns and customization options with them in APB Reloaded?

One of the things that bugged me in the original was that there was only one of each-such as one assault rifle type (N-Tec 5) and you couldn't visually modifiy them with something like, say a red dot sight or custom paint jobs; will we see more variety and performance differences if there are plans to introduce new guns in the same classes?

I for one would love to see a G36c in the game and be able to deck it out with a forward grip, laser sight/flash light/ and or optics...

• fourtytwofourtytwo Member Posts: 1

If possible I would like some information about the East Coast Server, I know someone else has asked about it but, I'm not sure why it feels like this topic is intentionally avoided.

Since you all are mostly open with other information, this has caused much speculation and worry in the community. Nothing has really been said about the east coast servers since near the beginning of closed beta.  That makes us feel like something is up.

Thanks,

FourtyTwo

• Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229

i played the closed beta and key to the city and open beta and pre-ordered etc.

the driving was bad in the original apb, are you aware that it's worse now? the delayed handling is the main reason i logged off after the first few minutes.

alot of the "patches and fixes" were never implemented in the "closed beta". The snap bugs are still there, the spawn points still broken.

the biggest problems for the more serious players were LtL mechanics, driving, and lack of matches when you hit a certain threat level. None of these seem to be addressed at all in the Gamersfirst release.

I hate to be a negative nancy but i spent alot of money on apb when it first came out and i see no significant changes to this "release" . My clan of around 50 which 15 had invites has already left out of boredom. The main complaint is that the graphics are very strange, driving is worse, and the grind is 10x what it used to be. I can't comment on their complaints, like i said after hopping in my starter car and driving around the corner i refused to log back in.

and edit sorry but to be brutally honest, i love you neume as a previous mu, sotnw player but man after all those blogs about apb. you guys are full of sh1t.

• spookytoothspookytooth Member Posts: 508

in the "tutuorial" district, for enforecers, will something about LTL weapons and making arrests be added to the tutorial? It seemed notably absent.

Originally posted by Daitengu
    Will we be able to sell items, decals/tattoos, and/or premium modded clothing for G1 credits similar to how the original APB did?

At the moment we are not allowing this for a number of reasons we are trying to work out. It is something we are heavily considering though.

www.apb.com

Twitter:
    @G1Neume

Facebook:

Originally posted by TwoLiter
    Re-iterated:
    What is the timeframe for bringing the EAST Coast servers online?

We're working on them next week. I don't have a time frame. I do know we are not planning to hold the launch of open beta for them, so it is likely they'll come live after we are in open beta.

www.apb.com

Twitter:
    @G1Neume

Facebook:

Originally posted by Demmi77
    i played the closed beta and key to the city and open beta and pre-ordered etc.
    the driving was bad in the original apb, are you aware that it's worse now? the delayed handling is the main reason i logged off after the first few minutes.
    alot of the "patches and fixes" were never implemented in the "closed beta". The snap bugs are still there, the spawn points still broken.
    the biggest problems for the more serious players were LtL mechanics, driving, and lack of matches when you hit a certain threat level. None of these seem to be addressed at all in the Gamersfirst release.
    I hate to be a negative nancy but i spent alot of money on apb when it first came out and i see no significant changes to this "release" . My clan of around 50 which 15 had invites has already left out of boredom. The main complaint is that the graphics are very strange, driving is worse, and the grind is 10x what it used to be. I can't comment on their complaints, like i said after hopping in my starter car and driving around the corner i refused to log back in.
    and edit sorry but to be brutally honest, i love you neume as a previous mu, sotnw player but man after all those blogs about apb. you guys are full of sh1t.

There is just a boatload of feedback we've received from CBT players contradicting what you are saying. In fact, there is a thread on the CBT forums thanking us for fixing the driving. So I'm a little skeptical at what you are saying.

Additionally, you are bringing up subjects we've clearly stated we have not yet begun working on (spawning, matchmaking and LTL). So, I'm not sure what I can say to that except we know and we plan to get to it. Spawning is changed in 1.5.0 and matchmaking will be altered in the next major update after that followed by a mission overhaul and the release of Turf Wars.

www.apb.com

Twitter:
    @G1Neume

Facebook:

• planl0splanl0s Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by exal_online

2. Are there any upcoming contests to give away more Beta keys via Twitter/Facebook?

No, we're days away from open beta at this point so we won't be inviting more people to the closed beta.

"Days" or Weeks? i don't wanna have a direct date on which the OB starts .. but saying "days away" .. is that even possible to go into the open beta in "several days" ?

• Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229

maybe i just didnt give the new drivng much aof a chance, don't know,  the prior apb left a bad taste in my mouth like i said im overly skeptical because RTW really didn't address what the CBT said were issues.

• SnorrenSnorren Member Posts: 5

Neume, It has been said in the blog several times when the EU server comes live you wil activate alot more accounts, this has not been done, when will  this be?I know alot of people who have been waiting for months and still aren't activated. 

Frustrating.

• just2goodjust2good Member UncommonPosts: 15

Hi Neume! I would like to ask if you want to play a game?

If so, completing the game will tribute to your super 1337 skills besides your 1337 APB:R work.

The picture below is the code. Good luck!

(There seriously is a code in the picture btw)

Also, any news of a zombie type gameplay for APB:R?

• the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440

I got a good question for ya 2 parter actualy.

1.  will you open cash shop in Open Beta or will that arrive in a phase after OB such as Gold or Live?

2.  If a person like myself wants to buy stuff in OB if you have shop there however I am East coast will there be any way to port characters from west to east as I dont really want to dump cash on a char I bail on for better ping when server begins after OB.

• dreamssdreamss Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by dreamss
    one of podcasts mentioned that you wanted to take away the power away from skilled players to even the playing field with less skilled players. why not just separate them so they dont face each other

I don't recall saying that. I recall saying something more along the lines of: we want to balance the game so that gear isn't the make or break for winning. Meaning, just because you are of a higher level doesn't mean you should be able to 1 shot kill everything in your path.
    Additionally we are working on a new skill rating system that will move low skilled players into their own bracket so they are not trounced by high skill players. We want this to be more of a skill based game and less of a grinder.

it does seem like you blaming the apples when advocato is at fault. players where never at a disadvantage due progression (anyone can progress) it was due the fact that the matchmaking allowed veterans and new players in the same match.

with that being said, whats the point of changing progression and matchmaking at the same time? its not better to focus on making the game more fair for all the players?

with the downsides system the idea is to make the players who espend more time playing just different instead of better?

is it a great idea to pigeon hole players into roles with the nature of the game where locations change from open areas to cqc fights on the fly?

are you guys paying attention to the population changes as a reaction to the changes from apb to apbr now? has it improved? declined?

• dreamssdreamss Member Posts: 18

as a reply to the people arguing for pureskill, the last patch (CB4 1.4.3.68) disabled all upgrades making all districts into pureskill. BUT players who expereinced are unable to post feedback due the NDA. Maybe neume can tell us how the game is in pureskill mode

http://apbreloaded.blogspot.com/2011/03/cb4-update-release-68.html

• shade273shade273 Member UncommonPosts: 47

Zombies would be awesome!  So...is APB going to get them?

• dukecdm3dukecdm3 Member Posts: 1

Ty for doing this. well seeing how its friday i am just wondering when 1.5 will be out, i no its very soon but do you guys at G1 have a set day?

-ty again

Originally posted by Demmi77
    maybe i just didnt give the new drivng much aof a chance, don't know,  the prior apb left a bad taste in my mouth like i said im overly skeptical because RTW really didn't address what the CBT said were issues.
    I'd really love to get your feedback. If there are still driving issues, we want to fix them. We've focused almost 100% of our time in closed beta working on the new network/servers and tweeking shooting, driving and character progression. So if there is a problem please let us know. Right now though most of the people we have heard from and most of the players we have polled have all agreed that the driving handling and response time has improved greatly.

www.apb.com

Twitter:
    @G1Neume

Facebook:

Originally posted by Snorren
    Neume, It has been said in the blog several times when the EU server comes live you wil activate alot more accounts, this has not been done, when will  this be?I know alot of people who have been waiting for months and still aren't activated. 

Frustrating.

I want to apologize for the confusion and the delay. We are very close to releasing the 1.5.0 build in closed beta. At that time we'll invite more players. Due to the size of the build we are hesitant to invite more people now to download the game and then a few days later have them download another 4gigs.

www.apb.com

Twitter:
    @G1Neume

Facebook:

Originally posted by just2good
    Hi Neume! I would like to ask if you want to play a game?
    If so, completing the game will tribute to your super 1337 skills besides your 1337 APB:R work.

The picture below is the code. Good luck!
    (There seriously is a code in the picture btw)

To be honest, I tend to play all day then go home, log into Rift to do my dailies and immediately log back into APB. I'm having a blast.

As for Zombie game play, I don't see it on the slate for this year, but I would like to do some type of Zombie event for Halloween. Maybe next year.

www.apb.com

Twitter:
    @G1Neume

Facebook:

Originally posted by the420kid
    I got a good question for ya 2 parter actualy.
    1.  will you open cash shop in Open Beta or will that arrive in a phase after OB such as Gold or Live?
    2.  If a person like myself wants to buy stuff in OB if you have shop there however I am East coast will there be any way to port characters from west to east as I dont really want to dump cash on a char I bail on for better ping when server begins after OB.

1. Yes the Armas Underground will be live in the first open beta build.
    2. We don't anticipate the NA-E servers to be along too much longer after we launch open beta. We don't have plans for character transfers so I would encourage you to wait the few weeks while the East Coast data center comes up.

www.apb.com

Twitter:
    @G1Neume

Facebook:

• nickelpatnickelpat Member Posts: 661

I really only have one question, having the played the beta of RTW's APB and enjoying it quite a bit.

How much has customization been monetized?

---
    Jordaniel Torey - Navy Megathron, Active Armor Tank - Tranquility - EVE Online
    ---
    Torey Scott - Rifleman - Fallen Earth

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but I know World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein