Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The More I Play Rift, the More My Love for Vanguard Grows

2»

Comments

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by jonesing22

Originally posted by elocke

I would almost agree with this except in 2 areas.  

First:  If I could level up in VG the way I level up in Rift, I would never leave VG.  However, VG leveling is a PITA due to having to do half of it in a group.  I just want to level my way, my time and party when I want, not when the game forces me to grind a dungeon all day for xp, the way VG does it.

Second:  Achievements/Artifacts, these are so addicting that I miss them in ANY MMO that doesn't have them.

The funny part is, the above is SO easy to fix/implement that it wouldn't even take a full team of devs to do, just a small handful.  Otherwise, Rift is just too small for my taste and VG blows it out of the water in regards to sheer size and content.  How awesome would VG be though if it had dynamic content too, like rifts/public quests.   I mean the land is large enough to make it happen, hehe.

It's a shame really. VG could be so much. It actually does have the collections though ^.^.....at least a version of it.

Heh, not the same though.  EQ2 is closer to the collection system in Rift than any other game I can think of.  It's just so addicting.  I hopped into WoW this week and was so artifact hunting trained I started to think something was wrong with the land when I didn't see any shinies to go loot, lol.  Funny, I don't miss the quests/dungeons/world of Rift, I miss the artifact collecting.  That means something.

• mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373

Most people (myself included) won't play this game for one reason (by SOE not making any comments about this game at all for months; maybe years, everyone is afraid of getting started and then it shutting down).  This is what SOE wants though.  They dont want anything messing with EQ/EQ2 profits.  I've got money says that EQ3/Next have many EQ/VG/and then some features.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

I would almost agree with this except in 2 areas.  

First:  If I could level up in VG the way I level up in Rift, I would never leave VG.  However, VG leveling is a PITA due to having to do half of it in a group.  I just want to level my way, my time and party when I want, not when the game forces me to grind a dungeon all day for xp, the way VG does it.

Second:  Achievements/Artifacts, these are so addicting that I miss them in ANY MMO that doesn't have them.

The funny part is, the above is SO easy to fix/implement that it wouldn't even take a full team of devs to do, just a small handful.  Otherwise, Rift is just too small for my taste and VG blows it out of the water in regards to sheer size and content.  How awesome would VG be though if it had dynamic content too, like rifts/public quests.   I mean the land is large enough to make it happen, hehe.

Well, actually soloing works just fine in Vanguard - even if you dont level as fast as in group and wont get as good gear. Ok, depends a bit upon class. Soloing on a Monk or even worse Warrior, maybe also on a Rogue (but a Rogue told me once he could kite like a Bard just fine) is definitely inferior to soloing on any of the other classes.

Your suggestions arent bad at all. New elements to a game is always good, even if Vanguard already is crazy good when it comes to different things to do in the game. But I fear nobody at SOE gives a damn about Vanguard any more.

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601

I created a character and enjoyed the first couple levels, but like said above, I am worried the game will shut down and my time will have been wasted :(

• DecadentiaDecadentia Member Posts: 464

Originally posted by JayFiveAlive

I created a character and enjoyed the first couple levels, but like said above, I am worried the game will shut down and my time will have been wasted :(

You're paying for entertainment no? I get what you're saying but...I said this for years and recently came back to it, i'm thoroughly enjoying it more than any other MMO ive played lately...To me that's worth the money, I pay for entertainment, i'm getting it. I wish I had of done it a few years ago however.

They haven't pulled the plug yet (even with the massive layoffs), i'm guessing they are keeping it around for the Station Exchange.

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

Yes, Rift does have a couple of neat things going for it and I do like the Acheivements and Artifacts.  But, after almost 2 months of playing I've just about seen all rift has to offer.

A number of people question that if I love Vanguard so much why don't I resub.  Well, my guild and I played it for 3 years and in the end all that was left for us was the high end grindy stuff which isn't what the 'true' Vanguard is all about.  We also played the hell out of a ton of alts and even did APW raids with all alts (which was fun). 

But in the end, with no new content the game just ran the course for us.  I could guareentee you that if SoE would miraculously announce more investment and some sort of expansion that our guild, along with a ton of other guilds would all come flocking back.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

^This, this and I'll say it again ^This

It would be instant hardonsville !!

• klokwurkklokwurk Member UncommonPosts: 35

I decided to take the plunge and go back to Vanguard. I played it at launch, then left and came back a couple of times but I've never found the same depth and complexity in another game. I recently played Rift and posted a thread in the suggestion forums about things I'd like to see in Rift and realized it was all stuff in Vanguard. I was hesitant to come back because of the lack of development and possible population problems. But really the game as it stands has enough content for years for a casual player like myself. With alts, crafting, and diplomancy I'll be busy for a long time. It does bug me a little that I am paying money for a game with no development, but maybe if more people come back and the station users try it out there might be some change. But regardless I figure it will be a long time before I'd need new content anyway.

• AreannaAreanna Member UncommonPosts: 55

I never really appreciated VG until I played a few other mmos...now I am back and having a great time! :)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Originally posted by JayFiveAlive

but if you enjoyed the time you had then how is it wasted?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • alderdalealderdale Member Posts: 301

Originally posted by Sacrificiall

Vanguard was absolute garbage.

So is shakespeare, comic books are much better. They are more colorfull and easier to read.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

I seriously wish Sony would just "Lotro" Vanguard... Do it NOW.. Or sell the IP to Turbine so they can "Lotro" it and turn it into something..

I mean seriously, they would rather it just crumble and wither away instead of allowing people to play it for free and pay for extras?

The game is nice... It just needs a population and F2P would do just that..

Personally I think they are still sticking it to Brad's attempt to break free from the established empire..

• GenreNinjaGenreNinja Member CommonPosts: 159

It's been said time and time again but few are happy to just admit that's what makes a game, a good game and that is: The experience. It doesn't matter what features the game has, if they don't convey an experience then they are pointless. a Mechanic is just that, a mechanic.

Vangaurd sticks out in my mind as a great game, and all because of a single experience I had. i had just joined, it was my first day in the game and being the adventurer I am, I began to trek around the zone.. I was amazed and how beautiful the landscape was and thought i'd try and get up on a cliff, turn the draw distance all the way up, and take a screenshot... but..

When i got to the top of the mountain, turned up the draw distance, and panned the camera over the zone... low and behold a dragon. An ENORMOUS dragon, was flying over the zone migrating to it's Open World raid area... now, I had climbed so high up the mountain that.. I was almost eye level with it. It wasn't some small thing drawn high up in the sky.. it was so close i could select it. Sitting there, watching it gracefully fly over the zone past me.. the dawn sun comming up on the other end of the island, i was given a truely unique experience. Something few players will ever get without being in the right place, at the right time.

Now there are countless other smaller experiences I could list here but this one, being the first experience I ever had for the game, gave me a deep respect for the Artisan Developers that crafted this land.

---

Live a life less ordinary.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by alderdale

Originally posted by Sacrificiall

Vanguard was absolute garbage.

So is shakespeare, comic books are much better. They are more colorfull and easier to read.

Vanguard is to MMOs as Shakespeare is to literature?

• EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244

Hehe I don't think thats what he meant.