Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So my account was hacked and my stuff gone

AmeranaAmerana Member Posts: 20

i tock a break from eve due to rl and when i tryed to come back to the game i couldnt log in so i got a gm to fix this after a day of back and forth on a petition

i get back into game and find 4 years of isk and assets gone so i open up a new petition and after 6 days still nothing any one know how long this normal takes

as im having to spin my ship in station and waste the subscription while i wait for my stuff

Comments

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228
    dont use same password on stupid insecure forums (SHC) and on your eveonline account

BestSigEver :P

• AmeranaAmerana Member Posts: 20

i never use the same password twice and never botherd with shc as it seemed like a epeen forum

then you got a simple password or u got a key logger on your pc

• bobbyjrbobbyjr Member Posts: 119

Also remember that the develoeprs and customer service agents are under NO obligation to restore anything.  Remember,  YOU got your account hacked, not the developers.

• jerkbeastjerkbeast Member UncommonPosts: 255

Originally posted by cosy

His question isn't about how he lost his password...it's about how long it takes to get his stuff back. Pay attention.

• lokiboardlokiboard Member UncommonPosts: 229

Run a deep virus scan and  get a password generator/safe...........there are free ones online that are secure like Keypass...Never use the same password twice and change them regularly.   NEVER open emails from sites saying they are from your gaming company instead logon to their website and contact them directly... etc....They are scams  and will put keyloggers as well....Its been a month on RIFT and I'm getting them already.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Originally posted by jerkbeast

His question isn't about how he lost his password...it's about how long it takes to get his stuff back. Pay attention.

He won't get back anything.

Originally posted by lokiboard

Run a deep virus scan and  get a password generator/safe...........there are free ones online that are secure like Keypass...Never use the same password twice and change them regularly.   NEVER open emails from sites saying they are from your gaming company instead logon to their website and contact them directly... etc....They are scams  and will put keyloggers as well....Its been a month on RIFT and I'm getting them already.

I've never even subbed to rift, never even registered on their forums, and i get 2-3 a week from them.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

Originally posted by Yalexy

OP sorry to hear about your situation. I've had friends get "hacked" in other games and its a crappy experience all around. Unfortunately, I think Yalexy hit the nail on the head unless there is someone with a different experience that can comment. I can't imagine tracking where all the ISK and assets went would be a simple task let alone restoring it without having some knock-on effect to countless other players. Maybe I'm overcomplicating it though (never hurts to be optimistic eh?).

On the other hand, you still have your skills you've trained, so you could be doing something besides spinning in station. I could certainly understand if this killed your motivation to do so though. :(

Either way, good luck getting it sorted out. Not the kind of "welcome back" anyone wants.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Originally posted by bobbyjr

I've never even subbed to rift, never even registered on their forums, and i get 2-3 a week from them.

Rift is a popular game, so scammers just throw the emails out to everyone they find assuming many will be subscribed. I see the same effect with WoW, people who never played getting scam emails pretending to be Battle.net.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Omali

Rift is a popular game, so scammers just throw the emails out to everyone they find assuming many will be subscribed. I see the same effect with WoW, people who never played getting scam emails pretending to be Battle.net.

sadly true.. its why you should have a seperate email account you use for games.. and one that you use for everything else. as a spam catcher.. i do that.. and unsurprisingly i get numerous emails.. claiming to be from battle.net.. hsbc .. halifax bank etc.. saying my accounts need attention.. .. why you should never.. ever open an email from unsolicited senders, if you don't recognise who its from .. delete it unopened.. and never follow links in emails.. i also use webmail so i don't actually ever download email anyway.. malicious software is out there.. and their trying to put it on your computer.. don't give them the chance... as hacked game accounts arent the limit of their criminal activities..image

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Originally posted by Phry

Originally posted by Omali

sadly true.. its why you should have a seperate email account you use for games.. and one that you use for everything else. as a spam catcher.. i do that.. and unsurprisingly i get numerous emails.. claiming to be from battle.net.. hsbc .. halifax bank etc.. saying my accounts need attention.. .. why you should never.. ever open an email from unsolicited senders, if you don't recognise who its from .. delete it unopened.. and never follow links in emails.. i also use webmail so i don't actually ever download email anyway.. malicious software is out there.. and their trying to put it on your computer.. don't give them the chance... as hacked game accounts arent the limit of their criminal activities..image

I received an email pretending to be from Bank of America that there was a problem and my identity may have been stolen. Never owned an account with BofA. 

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

If you never signed up for Rift then those are not emails from Rift/Trion.   It is easy to send out an email that looks like it was sent from someone else. 

Account thieves like to collect email addresses and send out phishing scams.  It doesn't cost them anything to send out those emails and all it takes is for one lucky email to get to someone gullible enough to give up their account information for it to be profitable. 

@Orignal poster

Chane your email password.  A lot of accounts can be attacked just by gaining access to your email account and resetting the password. 

There was no question. Pay attention.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Amerana
    i tock a break from eve due to rl and when i tryed to come back to the game i couldnt log in so i got a gm to fix this after a day of back and forth on a petition

i get back into game and find 4 years of isk and assets gone so i open up a new petition and after 6 days still nothing any one know how long this normal takes

as im having to spin my ship in station and waste the subscription while i wait for my stuff

Hi there.

First of all, I am sorry for what happened to you. I had a similar experience, not that I had anything lost, my account was 'compromised only'. The support staff was very helpful even though it took couple days to solve seemingly trivial issue.

There are a few things you need to keep in mind and there are a few things I would like to comment on.

CCP got very impressive tracking and security system. And I mean really impressive. While people say you won't get the stuff back, I beg to differ. This is handled on case by case basis and it mostly depends on who stole your stuff and how. They do return stuff to people if the theft can be clearly recognized as an attack. Why?

Majority of security intrusions are through exploiting human factor - phishing, key loggers, etc. and even though it was already pointed out that CCP indeed isn't responsible, and have no obligations in this regard, for your end of credential security, it would be very unwise of them not to care. They are harmed by hacked accounts as much as you are, after all you are their customer.

I agree that 6 days of waiting is very unpleasant but you have to consider that the GM isn't the only person dealing with your petition. People watching the Asset tracking are most likely not the same who watch Account access. It is understandable that it might take some time to collect all data needed before GM can even make founded opinion about the issue.

I wish you patience and good luck but imo you should not be relying on petition results.

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

it will also depend on how long ago the hack occurred. If you took a 6 month break and were hacked 5 months ago. It will be more difficult for them to recover the lost items. CCP has one of if not the the best item tracking systems in any game though so if anyone will be able to do it they will.

Originally posted by Minsc

it will also depend on how long ago the hack occurred. If you took a 6 month break and were hacked 5 months ago. It will be more difficult for them to recover the lost items. CCP has one of if not the the best item tracking systems in any game though so if anyone will be able to do it they will.

my opinion on this is that CCP dont want to duplicate items in the process, if the hacker sold all items and sold the ISK CCP can remove the ISK from the buyer and give stuff back but if the hacker put all assets in space and other ppl loot the cans and board the ships is likely to dont get stuff back

• gambe1gambe1 Member UncommonPosts: 123

I got all my isk back when i got hacked. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by gambe1

I got all my isk back when i got hacked. 

it depends on how easy or not it is to verify that he was hacked.. if his gear was sold on etc.. then there should be a money trail..  which needs to be followed up..  its not like they can snap their fingers and 'shazam' its done.. takes time to investigate.. its not like all claims are totally legit after all.. but if true.. it could lead to 1 or more accounts of other people being impacted.. or even banned.. image

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

With any MMO out there everyone should log into to there game with the up most caution.

1. Use a virtual keyboard.

2. Dont ever reply or for that matter open any kind of email from a gaming company. No matter how legit it looks. chances are its a phishing attempt. Forward any and all emails to there Hack dept.  If you feel that you have legitimate mail from a gaming company. You can always call them much safer.

3. Keep your antivirus program running full throttle. Some antivirus programs are better then others. I wont advocate any but free ones just don't cut it.

4. Do not be a idiot and go to gold farm sites or similar sites if you are that lazy. Then you deserve to get hacked.

5. Hackers can even disguise programs that look like you are logging on legit. For example lets say you are logging on to your game and it looks almost good with just a slight verification off chances are that the Hacker is using a false front to get your log on info real fast real easy.

6. Slower PC could mean a virus dont forget about those frequent scans.

7. Authentic keys are very good but not perfect. Even accounts that have authentic keys can still be hacked because the hackers have the random numbers at there disposal. But it is Still a good defense.

8. Finial use common since.

• jakinjakin Member UncommonPosts: 243

What you can expect to get back is clearly outlined on EVE's website:

9. Hacking & Account Transfers

Hacking is any unauthorized access to another person's account, by illegal means or not.

You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password and for any damage, harm, lost or deleted characters, etc. resulting from your disclosure, or allowing the disclosure, of any password, or from use by any person of your password.

1. If your account is accessed by another player and assets are stolen or transferred to other players, we will investigate and items that we are able to track down will be moved back to the rightful owner.

2. Any ISK stolen from the account may be transferred back to the rightful owner on a case-by-case basis.

3. Any assets sold to another player will not be returned to the original owner; however, any ISK gained from the sale may be transferred to the original owner of the items instead on a case-by-case basis.

4. Reprocessed assets cannot be restored to prior status.

5. If someone gained access to your account as a result of your use of a third party program or other violation of our EULA/TOS, all requests for reimbursement will be null and void.

As to how long it will take, that depends on how busy the GMs are and how much effort it takes to track down your stuff.  If you don't hear from the GMs within a few days, very politely send a reply to the petition asking what the status is and if they have an estimate of how long it will take to be resolved.

In the meantime, it would be prudent for you to simply continue playing as if you will not get anything back.  It is very possible to pull yourself up by your bootstraps in EVE if you wish to put in the effort.  Either way, the GMs won't reimburse you for subscription time you spent spinning your ship while you could have been out mining or missioning to earn ISK - so you may as well make use of the sub time you have.

Originally posted by Isturi

With any MMO out there everyone should log into to there game with the up most caution.

2. Dont ever reply or for that matter open any kind of email from a gaming company. No matter how legit it looks. chances are its a phishing attempt. Forward any and all emails to there Hack dept.  If you feel that you have legitimate mail from a gaming company. You can always call them much safer.

3. Keep your antivirus program running full throttle. Some antivirus programs are better then others. I wont advocate any but free ones just don't cut it.

4. Do not be a idiot and go to gold farm sites or similar sites if you are that lazy. Then you deserve to get hacked.

5. Hackers can even disguise programs that look like you are logging on legit. For example lets say you are logging on to your game and it looks almost good with just a slight verification off chances are that the Hacker is using a false front to get your log on info real fast real easy.

7. Authentic keys are very good but not perfect. Even accounts that have authentic keys can still be hacked because the hackers have the random numbers at there disposal. But it is Still a good defense.

1. Any modern keylogger can record from a virtual keyboard.

2.  Instead of a blanket ignore, a little education can be used to help people look at the headers of the email.  Every single email client has the option to view headers.

3. While a good idea in principle, a lot of modern day keyloggers are 100% inactive until the target prgram is running. While dormant, they simply disguise themselves as regular windows/mac dll files.

4. Whilst true, a blanket generalization tends to lead people to ignore your entire post.

5.  Whilst true, it's very very rare. These type of "hacks" re usually attributed to man in the middle attacks.

6. Sorry, no. This is a fallacy perpetuated by those with very very limited knowledge of computer systems.  Any virus from within the last few years takes almost no system resources, so it can disguise itself well.  Even the blaster virus was only a few hundred kilobytes in size, and took less than 1k ram to run.

7. Only if the server itself got hacked, or a man in the middle attack happened. The hacker would have less than 30 seconds from teh time the key was sent, to it being 100% useless.

8. Common sense is a good idea, but you have to remember, not everyone is computer literate enough to understand the basic principles of IT systems and how to avoid the inevitable.  Education goes a very long way.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

Originally posted by Isturi

1. Any modern keylogger can record from a virtual keyboard.

2.  Instead of a blanket ignore, a little education can be used to help people look at the headers of the email.  Every single email client has the option to view headers.

3. While a good idea in principle, a lot of modern day keyloggers are 100% inactive until the target prgram is running. While dormant, they simply disguise themselves as regular windows/mac dll files.

4. Whilst true, a blanket generalization tends to lead people to ignore your entire post.

5.  Whilst true, it's very very rare. These type of "hacks" re usually attributed to man in the middle attacks.

6. Sorry, no. This is a fallacy perpetuated by those with very very limited knowledge of computer systems.  Any virus from within the last few years takes almost no system resources, so it can disguise itself well.  Even the blaster virus was only a few hundred kilobytes in size, and took less than 1k ram to run.

7. Only if the server itself got hacked, or a man in the middle attack happened. The hacker would have less than 30 seconds from teh time the key was sent, to it being 100% useless.

8. Common sense is a good idea, but you have to remember, not everyone is computer literate enough to understand the basic principles of IT systems and how to avoid the inevitable.  Education goes a very long way.

Thank you for being more elaborate then me. I was trying for a more simple to the point. And I agree with you on number 6 it use to be that way but not anymore. It was more of a get the person to think statement. Along that lines go to your change program/uninstall and see when or if anything has been added to that list with out your knowledge regarding your game it will even tell you the date it was installed. And if that date dose not ring a bell or is newer then when you first loaded the game then I would probably unistall it if I were you. So you see I do know a bit about the computer system ty.

Oh and number 8 I disagree because it is never inevitable. It is like saying that a accident is a accident wrong it can be avoided if you pay attention.

• kwaikwai Member UncommonPosts: 825

Don't exactly remember what their policies are, but im not sure you will get anything reimbursed, but if you have explained your situation the best you can and tell them when you were last logged in to your memory, then im sure they will be able to find out if you were hacked at that time or somewhat recently.