Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The true WoW killer will be...

Comments

• ibe12ibe12 Member Posts: 35

No one game will kill WOW. It'll have to be a number of games that come out that'll slowly take their fans away. But most likely time will kill it just like time kills all games.

• adoloadolo Member Posts: 66

Honestly, the only true killer of a game is the gamers that choose to play or choose not to play... The only way to truly speak your voice is by taking your $15/month subscription elsewhere and never look back.

Jules: You know the shows on TV?
    Vincent: I don't watch TV.
    Jules: Yeah, but, you are aware that there's an invention called television, and on this invention they show shows, right?

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Originally posted by Vigiliance

I dont think any game will truely kill WOW. Its too deeply rooted its self as a classic nostalgic game for so many, so I think it will end up like diablo II. The game is so very old now but it still has a very large player base in comparsion with its age and how outdated it is. At some point a game will have more fans then wow and it won't be that it killed WOW like its pull was so overwhelming that everyone will just flock to it like the next big thing.

I think people will just eventually tire of it and migrate else where for their entertainment needs, it may not even be gaming. Very immersive games like WOW can kill peoples desire to game because they just spent so much energy and time on one game, and thats not bad... thats just what they enjoyed. However after awhile alot of people will just run into the thought of,  I need a new hobby, lets do something different for a change.

Thats my opinion, I think people add too much drama to the term "WOW killer"

There will no be single killer for wow but a massive force of new mmos coming in 2011-2013.

There are so many good titles on the way and they are very near.

Swtor will be the first big hit into wow's back.

Guildwars will come to ruin it's player base only by using it's free model and if it comes to be an excelent game then wow goes for gg.Tera will come to lure some more players along with firefall  from wow.

Then there will be several hits from secret world that will try to wipe out if any remaining players in wow.

Finally warhammer dark millenium will give the last blast along with world of darkness.

You dont want me talk about ccp's new project that is going to be massive if it succeeds.

With all that coming out how much life do you think it has.

In order for wow to keep going there are 2 solutions.

1Recreate the engine and make it more mature and realistic(impossible)

2Make it free to play.

Im sure blizzard has already taken this message and they are at full speed releasing diablo 3 to make things a little out of order until they release titan.

• SniperpcwSniperpcw Member Posts: 20

lol who the hell cares what will kill what and what is the best and what isn't, just play whatever game you feel is good for you. so tired of the constant chatter about why this game is the best or why it isn't. Does it really fricken matter? PLAY WHAT YOU LIKE AND LEAVE IT AT THAT lol :P

• GoddwynnGoddwynn Member Posts: 49

WOW's next killer is in its own back yard.  TITAN will put a major dent in WOW, if not put it under.  Thats when WOW it will go go F2P.

Just my thoughts

• SerenexSerenex Member UncommonPosts: 126

WoW players will continue to play , some even like cataclysm, some dont, but still play, hopefully blizzard will release something to get people to quit finally.

• fixiffixif Member UncommonPosts: 180

Originally posted by Zefire

Originally posted by Vigiliance

I dont think any game will truely kill WOW. Its too deeply rooted its self as a classic nostalgic game for so many, so I think it will end up like diablo II. The game is so very old now but it still has a very large player base in comparsion with its age and how outdated it is. At some point a game will have more fans then wow and it won't be that it killed WOW like its pull was so overwhelming that everyone will just flock to it like the next big thing.

I think people will just eventually tire of it and migrate else where for their entertainment needs, it may not even be gaming. Very immersive games like WOW can kill peoples desire to game because they just spent so much energy and time on one game, and thats not bad... thats just what they enjoyed. However after awhile alot of people will just run into the thought of,  I need a new hobby, lets do something different for a change.

Thats my opinion, I think people add too much drama to the term "WOW killer"

There will no be single killer for wow but a massive force of new mmos coming in 2011-2013.

There are so many good titles on the way and they are very near.

Swtor will be the first big hit into wow's back.

Guildwars will come to ruin it's player base only by using it's free model and if it comes to be an excelent game then wow goes for gg.Tera will come to lure some more players along with firefall  from wow.

Then there will be several hits from secret world that will try to wipe out if any remaining players in wow.

Finally warhammer dark millenium will give the last blast along with world of darkness.

You dont want me talk about ccp's new project that is going to be massive if it succeeds.

With all that coming out how much life do you think it has.

In order for wow to keep going there are 2 solutions.

1Recreate the engine and make it more mature and realistic(impossible)

2Make it free to play.

Im sure blizzard has already taken this message and they are at full speed releasing diablo 3 to make things a little out of order until they release titan.

I was just reading this topic and its interesting responses but I just had to login to answer to this one.

It's like people don't know what Blizzard and WoW are. There were already tons of new games released that WoW blew away. Literally, they were ALL promising with their awesome ideas. How many of them did actually damage WoW? There was GW1, which was good but didn't do anything to WoW, and WoW was still new back then with not so stable player base. GW2 has the same model, sure it will attract some WoW players but common. All western MMOs combined dont have half of WoW subs. Besides what makes you so sure GW2 will be awesome? Graphics? Aion anyone? GW2 look great, but at the end its the same old, same old. Same spells, same mechanics, same races, same encounters. After GW there was AoC, WAR, Aion, Rift, LotRO (i'm just naming MMOs that, by the community, had a chance of destroying WoW). What happened. I won't write what happened to every MMO because you all now. For now it seems Rift did not crash and burn but their amount of subs in irrelevant and will only decline.

Sure STWOR is known IP but how many of those people will even try TOR and how many of those will stay with TOR? You are forgetting that STWOR will flock new MMO players into the genre and some percentage of that players won't stick with it. Guess what will they try next. I  won't bother with Tera because it doesnt bring anything new (wow hater: "YEA BUT WOW DIDNT BRING ANYTHING NEW EITHER"). That is true, but MMO market was no so big then and to many, many players that was actually something new. Now it's just "a wow clone".

New Warhammer? I don't see that happening.

STWOR has the biggest potential of "harming WoW" because of its HUUUUUUGE fan base but not all franchise fans are gamers that can't wait to try it out. But if Bioware doesnt do LITERALLY something mind blowing, super, awesome, mega-uber cool it won't to practically anything to WoW.

Also, Blizzard won't sabote theirs gold goose with Titan. That kind of comments are, excuse my language, retarded. Why would anyone do that? Seriously.

Cataclysm was a bullseye for players that want to play and be rewarded at the end. Its was a disaster for casuals.

• delta9delta9 Member UncommonPosts: 358

I dont know of any MMO game thats directly killed off another MMO so the term WoW killer doesnt mean anything at all

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540

this rediculous post again, the only thing that will kill wow is time, and it wont ever really die, it will be like everquest, was the hottest game in its day but overtime, over changes in the game and the spread of the mmo community to other newcoming games will make it decay over years into say how everquest is or any of the older popular ones are, they are still running and have a smaller core fanbase but dont have the huge fanbase with newcomers daily. Nothing is forever ...on any earhtly level anyhow.

playing eq2 and two worlds

• PainbringerPainbringer Member Posts: 63

The only 100% true WoW killer is Blizard Entertainment itself.

If Bliz pulls the plug, or goes under, then and only then can WoW meet the true death.

• TheonenoniTheonenoni Member Posts: 279

WoW has already killed itself. Millions of people play only because they don't wanna waste their investmen. honestly, when you stop playing a subcription based MMO after months of play you are basically throwing away an investment. 

Please take my money  is what they say.

-I am here to perform logic

• painbreakerpainbreaker Member Posts: 88

Originally posted by Painbringer

If Bliz pulls the plug, or goes under, then and only then can WoW meet the true death.

WoW is dead for a great percentage of people.

Many have seen WoW dying years ago and some are recognizing it now.

When the war of the beasts brings about the world’s end,
    the goddess descends from the sky, wings of light and dark spread afar.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

The WoW is a lie.

• redcloud16redcloud16 Member UncommonPosts: 220
    As we all know, people who frequent forums are always a tiny, insignificant fraction of the population (in this case, the mmo genre).
    This website claims to have 1,300,000 members.
    World of Warcraft alone has TWELVE TIMES that number.
    You claim it's already dead or that it can somehow experience a mortal death. All I can hear is it's laughter at you.
    I try to keep up with Titan info, and if Blizzard is to be believed, Titan is designed not to compete with WoW, be more fun, more accessible to more people and in fact run alongside WoW.
    Let that sink in.
    WoW may go the way of EQ or D2, but it'll probably have a playerbase 3 times as large. Only the Mayan Apocalypse of 2012 has the most chance of ending WoW. That or Blizzard itself deciding to pull the plug so it can move onto bigger and better things.
    Devs need to realize that to be succesful they should avoid competing with Blizz.
    Hopefully then we weill get some innovation and variety.

• ZsavoozZsavooz Member Posts: 532

Originally posted by Painbringer

I agree WoW will kill Wow, they certainly are on there way.

• DeadalonDeadalon Member Posts: 79

Cataclysm will kill WOW.  The game is so dried up of fresh ideas and lack of content is for all to see.  My bet is that soon we will see 2 bosses and BLizzard will tune them for about 6 months worth of raiding.   Cause rigth now they are tuning 12 for that...  And next tier isn't even on PTR yet.

Game is taking massive cut in play time and active players.  And all because Blizzard got lazy and desided to just put a new store mount ingame instead of doing actual content.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

None of you have been paying attention.

The WoW 'killer' WAS Farm Town on Facebook.

Already happened.

(oh and before you argue that it does not qualify as an MMO - check the MMOs MMORPG.com lists.  TravianEvony? They are less MMO than Farm Town.)

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I dunno, am I nostragamus. ;)

WoW2... or the next Blizzard MMO Titan? Heck if I know. Maybe just what kills everything. Time. ^^

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• HiroshzHiroshz Member Posts: 1

Tera.

• Dionysus187Dionysus187 Member Posts: 302

Originally posted by Hiroshz

Tera.

Well its already released just not in NA or Europe and hasn't killed WoW so..... no.

• EmothirstEmothirst Member Posts: 12

How about the new game rift? can you consider it a wow killer?

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

Originally posted by Emothirst

How about the new game rift? can you consider it a wow killer?

Rift is playing it's part.  I'm sure it's taking a few players from WoW, but with it's advertising campaign I think it's also grabbing new players that otherwise might have given WoW a try.

GW2, SWTOR, TSW, Tera and others will do the same thing.  Collectively they, along with others, and the help of WoW itself, we will finally have a WoW killer.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

ginally posted by ezroller

WoW is badly injured due to Cataclysm. SWTOR will put it out of its misery. 

You think THAT many people care about Star Wars? Alot of people wont play it becuase it IS Star Wars.

Its just not going to happen.The only thing thats going to kill WoW is time and lots of it.

• ZolgarZolgar Member Posts: 533

Originally posted by fixif

I was just reading this topic and its interesting responses but I just had to login to answer to this one.

It's like people don't know what Blizzard and WoW are. There were already tons of new games released that WoW blew away. Literally, they were ALL promising with their awesome ideas. How many of them did actually damage WoW? There was GW1, which was good but didn't do anything to WoW, and WoW was still new back then with not so stable player base. GW2 has the same model, sure it will attract some WoW players but common. All western MMOs combined dont have half of WoW subs. Besides what makes you so sure GW2 will be awesome? Graphics? Aion anyone? GW2 look great, but at the end its the same old, same old. Same spells, same mechanics, same races, same encounters. After GW there was AoC, WAR, Aion, Rift, LotRO (i'm just naming MMOs that, by the community, had a chance of destroying WoW). What happened. I won't write what happened to every MMO because you all now. For now it seems Rift did not crash and burn but their amount of subs in irrelevant and will only decline.

GW2 has the same payment model (buy to play), and the same lore as GW1, but that's it. It has more and new races. Same encounters? What? It's almost as if you haven't read up on GW2 at all. I mean aside from name and lore, it's practically nothing like the first. Not saying it's going to be good, I haven't played obviously, but you're information is way off.

Sure STWOR is known IP but how many of those people will even try TOR and how many of those will stay with TOR? You are forgetting that STWOR will flock new MMO players into the genre and some percentage of that players won't stick with it. Guess what will they try next. I  won't bother with Tera because it doesnt bring anything new (wow hater: "YEA BUT WOW DIDNT BRING ANYTHING NEW EITHER"). That is true, but MMO market was no so big then and to many, many players that was actually something new. Now it's just "a wow clone".

So, you're saying that TOR will attract new people to MMO's, and some of them won't stick with it. Then they'll move onto WoW? Why? If someone waited for TOR, a sci-fi MMO, to jump into MMO gaming, why would they move to WoW if they don't like it?

New Warhammer? I don't see that happening.

Why? Because you don't like Warhammer? The Warhammer(40k) IP has built up a massive fanbase over the the last couple of decades. If this game comes out polished, and hit's the look and feel of Warhammer 40k, you can bet that it's going to pull in a ton of subs.

STWOR has the biggest potential of "harming WoW" because of its HUUUUUUGE fan base but not all franchise fans are gamers that can't wait to try it out. But if Bioware doesnt do LITERALLY something mind blowing, super, awesome, mega-uber cool it won't to practically anything to WoW.

It is doing something huge. Story focused game play and full voice acting. Is that enough to keep players? Again, I haven't played so I don't know. But if it offers great gameplay, with great story, voice acting, as well as great team based gameplay, it'll be a huge hit, regardless of the SW IP.

Also, Blizzard won't sabote theirs gold goose with Titan. That kind of comments are, excuse my language, retarded. Why would anyone do that? Seriously.

Cataclysm was a bullseye for players that want to play and be rewarded at the end. Its was a disaster for casuals.

I don't see how it was a disaster for casual gamers. The time to level was drastically reduced. End game is still the same old, Normals > Heroics > 10 mans > 25 mans, or PvP grind for gear, and while those may take some time that people with limited amounts of time to play may not be able to do easily, Cataclysm didn't change that. They made Heroics harder, but even still, after a while people will be steam rolling through them.

Honestly, I feel that WoW's subs were a fluke. I highly doubt that we will ever see 13 million subscribers to a game again. Or at least not for a very long time. Now, if Blizzard can do it again with another game, I will take my statement back and give them credit for just making super near perfect amazing flawless games.

0118 999 881 999 119 725... 3

• kinidokinido Member UncommonPosts: 429

2012 will defeat WoW. 

/thread 

PS - All mammals have nipples.

Get over it already.