Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have been watching Sto for a while

saya1965saya1965 Member Posts: 46

I have been watching sto for a while now. It seems that most of there efforts have been going into the C-Store.  The Only really big content that  has came out is  PGC(Player Generated Content). The have rased the level cap and added  5 man missions to.

Yes I made some cracks about them.

I have talked to alot of players. You can spend way more money on sto and co with out knowing it. Then other mmos that are out there.

They are not out there to promote the mmos they are they to reap the benfits of them.

Titles like World of Warcraft, Everquest,EVE,Rift. and others would not be here if mmos were like sto and co.

I know this much.  If the others did this they would not be. The pops of WOW,rift and everquest did not last this long buy charging extra for all most every thing.

(( editing)

Comments

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

I've spent more money in Everquest's cash shop than I have Cryptic. The only thing I bought in the C-store when I ran out of free cryptic points was the Value Bundle of TOS.

If you haven't played EQ/EQ2 lately then you might not know they add a lot to their station store. I mostly buy exp pots in the station store than anything. There really hasn't been much in the C-store I feel I need to have.

Am I missing something, when did they raise the level cap in STO?

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• DarthMajinDarthMajin Member Posts: 92

There is nothing on the C-Store for STO that is required to play the game. It is all just for additional fun. Most of the ships you can get on the store you can also purchase in game through emblems that you get for doing the VA dailies. You can go through the entire game not spending a point on the store (I have done this). Those are just extra things that hardcore players would like. 

The game isn't the worst one out there by far. The problem with the game that I see is everyone wants an mmo to be like WoW so Cryptic tried to please these people by making a dumbed down, easy for kids to play mmo, so the rest of us have to just deal with it. They are making plans to institute a shooter element to the ground game (point and fire with mouse and target redicule. I really can't wait to see what's in store for the game over the next year and especially with season 4.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Originally posted by megabuu

They are making plans to institute a shooter element to the ground game (point and fire with mouse and target redicule.

While they state they'll add that element it'll be far from a shooter game, as much of the community hopes for. Cryptic has zero experience in that realm .  At best you'll get restricted camera movement that is tighter then they presently have with the reticlte overlay, or others. Tightening the camera will give you the allusion that it's a shooter. The revamp really involves more how the camera perspective will function with this tighter frame.

They'll more then likely have issues when you find your avatar up against a wall, or in a corner. It's not an uncommon problem in MMO's that go with FP views. Incidently this may be the experiment that Cryptic is working on to as a way to reduce the sizes of the ship interiors and halls/dorrs etc..  Complaints that are long standing. A lot of MMO's use this view some have it as an option , some have it lock in when quaters are tight. Cryptic doesn't have this ability in the engine currently. This is Cryptic's first attempt at this, it may be because they couldn't make it work originally or didn't have anyone knowledgable enough to institute it. I don't expect the changes will be all that much more dramatic. Kinda like the whole change institiuted with the appearance of sector space , cosmetic more then actually significant.

• JounarJounar Member UncommonPosts: 142

Originally posted by megabuu

There is nothing on the C-Store for STO that is required to play the game. It is all just for additional fun. Most of the ships you can get on the store you can also purchase in game through emblems that you get for doing the VA dailies. You can go through the entire game not spending a point on the store (I have done this). Those are just extra things that hardcore players would like. 

The game isn't the worst one out there by far. The problem with the game that I see is everyone wants an mmo to be like WoW so Cryptic tried to please these people by making a dumbed down, easy for kids to play mmo, so the rest of us have to just deal with it. They are making plans to institute a shooter element to the ground game (point and fire with mouse and target redicule. I really can't wait to see what's in store for the game over the next year and especially with season 4.

Almost all of the ships that are sold in the C-store offer abilities and better BO slots than the ones players can get in-game via leveling and do offer an advantage in PvP so calling it "just additional fun" or fluff is incorrect. Now while its possible to get these ships by grinding emblems via the various daily missions, its the most boring grind of any MMO out there and will take the best part of a month to get just one ship's worth of emblems. And calling C-store ships stuff only hardcore fans want is bullshit when its all the iconic ships from the franchise rather than the lame ass Cryptic designed ones thats being charged for.

WoW may not be perfect but comparing a rushed out the door content lite game like STO with zero end game content, tiny dev team working on it, hardly a second working faction, and 60% of the much needed content released going straight into the c-store to double dip its customers is very unfair to Blizzard. Cryptic didn't pull off an industry first with STO by making an easy to play or dumbed down MMO for kids, they just rushed out a half finished product using an old engine with a Star Trek skin on it and later claimed it was for casual players.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Don't bother with the C-Store. There's nothing worth buying.

Grab a retail-box from Amazon for $10 and maybe a 60day GTC and play through the whole content with all three classes.

You'll be out of content after 2 month and then spend another 2 weeks in PvP until you're finally bored and deinstall the game.

Next content will be coming sometime in Q3 this year, but don't expect it to offer more content then what the game offers currently. Maybe some additional 2 weeks worth of casual gaming.