Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anti-WoW gamers

superdfcsuperdfc Member Posts: 56

I've played WoW for years and loved it. Game review websites, critics, and players have found the game extremely enjoyable, and the evidence is the ammount of subscribers Blizzard has. The game is fun, packed with content, hilarious at times, full of lore, and very deep.

Years ago, before I could play the game because my parents did not let me pay for a subscription fee, I harboured anti-WoW sentiments even though I knew little of the game. I thought the game was for "nerds" or people living in their parent's basement and my classmates frequently joked about it (This was during elementary school, so don't give me grief). I didn't understand what the game was all about, didn't know how good it was, and always thought that games like Runescape were king in the MMORPG district. 

I've noticed that on this website WoW has a remarkably low rating compared to how good it actually is. I feel that there's a lot of distaste towards WoW because people believe their MMORPGs are better, have never given WoW a try, etc. I'm getting tired of people dissing WoW and complaining about things like grinding for reputation (which everyone seems to call out despite the fact that WoW's grind is so much less time consuming than most MMORPGs out there). I suspect that many players are jealous that they cannot play WoW (as I was) or tired of their favourite games being beneath WoW. This jealousy has resulted in WoW scoring at 7.73 on this site, which is lower than most games that aren't out yet, and about the same as much worse games like Maplestory (Essentially one big grind with little or no purpose).

What are your thoughts on this?

Comments

• AeshrilAeshril Member Posts: 9

WoW is like a CheeseBurger it tastes good,

but ends up making you phat,

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by Aeshril

WoW is like a CheeseBurger it tastes good,

but ends up making you phat,

if you make it an habit, then all games are like cheeseburgers.....

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

I. just. don't. like. the. game. period.

Why does everybody needs to have 'a motive'? I played it (who didn't), and for me personally, there are just better games out there. Easy as that. 

• AeshrilAeshril Member Posts: 9

WoW is also like Tunafish wet it doesnt smell at all,

but if it was dry then it would smell

@OP

most ppl on this forum are either burned out of WoW or dissapointed of cata, and some even havent played it and like to troll around following critics.....

there are tons of mmorpg forums and none have the same ratings while all have haters and lovers.... in the end, what keep forums alive is the opinion and exchange of said thing...

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

I must admit I have a pretty good slice of.. restlesness when I read about WoW.

It's the game that single-handedly ruined the little community MMORPGs had. Its own popularity destroyed the community, bringing "easy" in MMOs.

No, I'm not an elitist, but when I start reading 6 year old kids chatting in general chat about rapeing/pwning, I facepalm.

• Mr_WolfxMr_Wolfx Member Posts: 176

Originally posted by superdfc

I've played WoW for years and loved it. Game review websites, critics, and players have found the game extremely enjoyable, and the evidence is the ammount of subscribers Blizzard has. The game is fun, packed with content, hilarious at times, full of lore, and very deep.

Years ago, before I could play the game because my parents did not let me pay for a subscription fee, I harboured anti-WoW sentiments even though I knew little of the game. I thought the game was for "nerds" or people living in their parent's basement and my classmates frequently joked about it (This was during elementary school, so don't give me grief). I didn't understand what the game was all about, didn't know how good it was, and always thought that games like Runescape were king in the MMORPG district. 

I've noticed that on this website WoW has a remarkably low rating compared to how good it actually is. I feel that there's a lot of distaste towards WoW because people believe their MMORPGs are better, have never given WoW a try, etc. I'm getting tired of people dissing WoW and complaining about things like grinding for reputation (which everyone seems to call out despite the fact that WoW's grind is so much less time consuming than most MMORPGs out there). I suspect that many players are jealous that they cannot play WoW (as I was) or tired of their favourite games being beneath WoW. This jealousy has resulted in WoW scoring at 7.73 on this site, which is lower than most games that aren't out yet, and about the same as much worse games like Maplestory (Essentially one big grind with little or no purpose).

I actually took your post seriously until I got to that highlighted part. I'm gonna answer seriously anyway though.

People mainly dislike WoW because in many gamers opinions WoW stagnated the mmorpg genre as a whole. Now that all the AAA companies make "WoW-clones" it leaves the less experienced indie companies to support the sandbox players, making mediocre games like Xsyon or Afterworld.Rreally though the hate should go towards the AAA companies imo, since they're to afraid to break the trend of simple themepark games. But it's easy to see where people are coming from, even if it isn't very logical.

Also people could just generally dislike the game, though from what I've seen most people who dislike it are also able to admit it is a very polished game that caters to a wider audience then most mmos before its time. And a majority of the people dislike the direction the game is going, "easy mode", which is my main complaint with WoW. 

That's all imo though, so I could be totally wrong xP

Yes I have a dream… And its not some MLK dream for equality. …I wanna own a decommissioned lighthouse …And I wanna live at the top… And nobody knows I live there. …And theres a button that I can press, and launch that lighthouse into space.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

I see it as a gang like mentality or mob. Everyone is doing it so everybody jumps on the bandwagon. They claim 14 million play wow because they are brain dead.

The truth is wow is fun to play and i love questing. They use phaing brilliantly and there cinimatics when used are for most part very enjoyable.

Ill admit it gets a little out of hand in uldum where it seems every other quest of the end of harrison jones line has one.

that said while wow has flaws its the best game out there todya. Theres a reason wow has 14 million subs and other mmos have issues mainting 1 million.

I fully expect tor to change that. As bioware seems to understand the need to cater to casual and hardcore fans. they also seem to understand that having a ui thats easy to use and fun to play is a good thing.

Seems alot of the peple who rip wow want games to go back to the dark age where it takes u 10 hrs to get 1 level only to lose 25 pct of the xp u have when u die.

They p erfer when u die and others are around that u lose all your gear and stuff. Then call it innovative when a game uses these archaic principles.

Its a sin if a game isnt a job to these people they cant understand that games do better when they are gasp fun to play.

i find wow enjoyable and fun thats why i play. Not because im brain dead or following the pack. Ive played wow for almost 6 yrs so im not exactly new to wows bandwagon.

• NoriandronNoriandron Member Posts: 13

I can personaly say that i have played Wow for a few years. Yes when i started it was so much fun many things to do. After WotlK came out i was so excited! After going through the whole expansion and into Cata i learned that Wow does not make new game content. They redo everything that has already been done in the game. Class unbalence, Raid bosses are pretty much all the same fight. It is just to repeditive that's why wow's raiting is so low becasue in vinalla it was good fresh always somthing to do. It was not like you could go kill a raid boss or you could get a super overpowerd class. It actually took skill to play. Wow has changed from a skillful game to an extreamly easy game. this is why Wow is hated among many people.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    @OP. Sounds like WOW is your first and perhaps only MMORPG. You don't know any better but there have been better MMO's made (IMO) and you should never equate MMO popularity with other variables such as complexity. Fun is very subjective and this site is a haven for those done with WOW.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Not really. I always hated grammer. What are u my english teacher?

Last i looked this is a forum where i dont lose any pts for grammer. Its whats so fun . I can have horrible grammer and trolls can knock wow even when they spend 15-20 hrs a day playing it.

They can come on here blast wow deny every playing it only to find out they are one of the 14 mil subs funny isnt it.

I believe i already did so but ill repeat it.

there is a mob mentality to wow on this forum at least.  Everyone hates wow. They all blast it and very few defend it.

The majority of people and im not saying all but majority claim wow ruined mmos. Without wow mmos might not exist at all.

If companies werent trying to be the next blizzard half the mmo;s wouldnt get the budgets they get today.

Its cool to blast wow so they join in . Or else they blast wow because they cant stand wow let gasp more then 5 pct of the population actually see there raids.

its not uncommon to jump on a bandwagon watch wrestling. The crowd boos a guy so u do. You may be booing cause u generally dont like the guy or u may boo because everyone else. is.

one day randy orton was the bad guy the next half the crowd cheered him on way to ring then next thign u know the whole crowd is cheering by time he is done speaking.

Same thing here they see that the majority of mmorpg guys blast wow  so they join in.

truth is wow is a fun game whose ui is easy to catch on to and use. thats why wow is popular.

Oh and if u have ever seen my posts i dont try to win points. I dont really care if u think im right or agree with me . Im just pointing out the reason i play wow is i find it fun . Dont agree who cares.

i defend tor because i dont like people using lies to try to denegrate a game i think looks like its gonna be a blast to play and i defend wow because i enjoy p laying it.

my gf tried to get me to play other mmos with her and i couldnt stand them wow i like and enjoy its fun.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I really gotta lol when people come in here calling WoW easy mode... link your chars showing all hardmode content complete please.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I don't hate WoW and it has done much to extend the playerbase of MMOs.  I'm not thrilled with Cata.  Although some of it was great (love flying) two things really killed it for me.

1. Tanking and healing got nerfed, and now groups have a hard time finding tanks and healers... go figure.  I'll keep my priest frozen until they fix this.

2. I find phasing offensive.  It kills grouping and turns an MMO into a single player game.  Sure this is just a pet peeve, I know many love it.  If I ever play again, I'll just ignore them and go find a decent grinding spot.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

You assume that we play the game :)

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

I love Wow, but I hate what it's become since Ghostcrawler was allowed to run amok with it. I'd gladly play again if Ghostcrawler were booted elsewhere and a developer with an appreciation of the original game's vision took his place. I'm not sure what that would take, though.

I'm pretty certain that a lot of people who get pegged as "anti-WoW" or "haters" feel the same way I do. Love the game, but hate what they've done with it.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

One problem with your argument is that 90% or more of the MMO population has played WoW at some point. I personally let my sub run out from lack of end game stuff to do. Leveling in WoW is great and the controls and the feel+ being incredibly smooth add to WoW being one of the best games out but that all fades away after a time. You are being just like the people who are tired of their game being under WoW complaining that it has a low rating. It's just a rating for a game that has been out for a long time think about how many people vote on it...get over it and if you enjoy the game then go and play it. Anti-WoW or Pro-WoW arguments are both annoying as hell.

Originally posted by WraithHunter

I must admit I have a pretty good slice of.. restlesness when I read about WoW.

It's the game that single-handedly ruined the little community MMORPGs had. Its own popularity destroyed the community, bringing "easy" in MMOs.

No, I'm not an elitist, but when I start reading 6 year old kids chatting in general chat about rapeing/pwning, I facepalm.

100% of all mmorpgs i have played have this community problem..... and i have played over 50 mmorpgs since i started playing mmorpgs a good while ago... so this statement of yours not only fit in WoW...

maybe i have missed a game where only serious adults and antisocial teens play? tell me about it so i can try it

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

This is my observation and experience from being a long term WoW player " AND " long term mmorpg.com poster :

Of each and every mmorpg on the list, the WoW forums had always been the only positive of all, until about the time of Cataclysm.  Sure you had your mmo burnout people blasting the game, but for the most part discussions were good.

Many are not happy with the expansion.  I'll admit I'm one of them, but putting that aside and being open minded I could say that I'm by far not alone.

This Forum is now equally as negative as any other game on the list.  Blizzard is screwing up.  Some will disagree but many more would.  In fact so many posters abandoned this forum because they don't play anymore.  Just think how bad this forum could really be if they were to have stayed !

I worked in a factory of three thousand people, and now work for the Army with a lot of young people. I know a lot of WoW players, most of them don't even know of any other mmo other than WoW.  All of them loved the game for years. Now all of them had quit, EVERYONE OF THEM !..........Maybe if I were in the second grade things would be different, but I'm an adult so I can't ask.

Need some Prof ?......One year ago, you would have a new topic every few hours, now it could even be two or three days before a new topic is posted.

I wasnt thrilled with the tanking and healing nerfs. i didnt really understand why all healers had to be good at everything or why mana regen had to be made a pain the butt.

I didnt understand why they made tanking a chore either. If only because it was already hard enough to find tanks.

I personally liked how healing worked in lk although i can see making regen a little tougher i think they went to far.

that said 90 pct of this game is still fun and enjoyable to me. Questing is even better then ever. I like phasing in some things.

Like opening up shadowvault or how they used it for twilight highlands. since to even go there u have to unphase it it doesnt hurt the overall grouping.

The truth is most of the wow bashers on here blame all the mmo failures on blizzard even though those games werent made by blizzard.

u see it all the time warhammer didnt fail cause it sucked it was because of blizzard. , Instead of blaming the companies who made horrible mmos they blame blizzard.

Wow to me is a very fun game and thats why i play but the truth is u see peopel call wow defendeers brain dead all the time. Or sheep. I get called it all the time for defending wow. So while i cant prove wow haters play wow the odds are they do.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Originally posted by superdfc

Hey don't beat yourself up by worrying too much about the anti-WoW atmosphere around here. The negativity for it is so cliche now. So much in fact that you'll see some of those that love pointing out WoW's so called "dumbed downed"  or "negative" features, turn around and actually praise other mmos that use the same features (just with a slight twist). These are usually the posters that thrown their entire being behind any given mmo in hopes that it will be their saving grace in this so called "apocalyptic" mmo genre.

But if you hang around long enough you can spot some level headed posters that understand WoW is a very solid game in itself and they don't have to quote sub numbers, revenue earnings nor x-fire numbers to back up their opinion of it. These are mmo players that tend to give almost all new mmos the benefit of the doubt and look foward to experiencing most of them without having to sign a contract in blood to any one development company. These are the guys who's opinions you value the most.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

WoW is the Facebook of mmo's.  If the OP or anyone actually and seriously claims to have enjoyed it for years, I happen to think that that is code for sitting in a capital city waiting for your WF Queue to pop.

But to each their own; a well-developed lobby-system game with cute merchandise, but a mmorpg it is not.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

I played WoW from closed beta through until Cata taking a few breaks during that time. I have been in top rated raiding guilds and small go no where guilds. I dont  hate WoW but I am not some blind rabid fanboy either.

IMO WoW is really just a watered down version of what an MMO should be. It isn't about it being easy as much as it is about WoW being shallow. There are so many things that WoW just doesn't offer that other MMO's do. Its really kind of sad considering how much money this game generates. To this day even in its current not to great NGE form SWG has way more to offer than WoW does. Many games do.

WoW to me is like a bloated whale carcass floating in the ocean that all of these other developers keep taking bites at. I hope that this industry never has one game rule so dominantly again. It did not benefit the players in any way.

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

Originally posted by superdfc;I

've playedWoWW for years and loved it. Game review websites, critics, and players have found the game extremely enjoyable, and the evidence is theammountt of subscribers Blizzard has. The game is fun, packed with content, hilarious at times, full of lore, and very deep.

Years ago, before I could play the game because my parents did not let me pay for a subscription fee, I harboured antiWoWW sentiments even though I knew little of the game. I thought the game was for "nerds" or people living in their parent's basement and my classmates frequently joked about it (This was during elementary school, so don't give me grief). I didn't understand what the game was all about, didn't know how good it was, and always thought that games likeRunescapee were king in the MMORPG district. 

I've noticed that on this websiteWoWW has a remarkably low rating compared to how good it actually is. I feel that there's a lot of distaste towardsWoWW because people believe theirMMORPGss are better, have never givenWoWW a try, etc. I'm getting tired of people dissingWoWW and complaining about things like grinding for reputation (which everyone seems to call out despite the fact thatWoW'ss grind is so much less time consuming than mostMMORPGss out there). I suspect that many players are jealous that they cannot playWoWW (as I was) or tired of their favourite games being beneathWoWW. This jealousy has resulted inWoWW scoring at 7.73 on this site, which is lower than most games that aren't out yet, and about the same as much worse games likeMaplestoryy (Essentially one big grind with little or no purpose).

Why does it matter what other people think of the game? no "evidence" is necessary because you either enjoy it or you don't, either you are looking for some kind of hive mind justification for playing it or the trolls are making you mad and that's really only something you have control over.

What the game scores on a promotional website is pretty irrelevant if you enjoy it.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

• DamonDamon Member UncommonPosts: 170

My thought is simply that the rating of a game on this site should be ignored.  I find the important information within forums and articles on this site, where people actually take the time to talk about the game.