Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First non-GDC related interview!

First non-GDC related interview:

http://gamesnafu.com/Games/game.php?ArticleID=516&GameID=44!

There might be some problems reading the interview in IE - just use another browser then; worked fine in chrome.

BONUS FACT! ; A new video is also coming out already at thursday!

Enjoy!

Comments

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Heh, fun quote:

2) I have yet to read much about the size and structure of the world. Will there be mounts or travel powers? Or does the size and the way you travel in the world not warrant them?

Erling Ellingsen: We’re not quite ready to talk about specific transportation options yet. As you know, The Secret World features locations from all across the globe, and creating all the real estate between for instance New York and Seoul would simply be impossible. So we have devised a way for players to travel from location to location relatively quickly, without necessarily compromising immersion. We look forward to revealing more details on this as we go along.

Already suspected, they said travel would have similarities with how things worked in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, plus video footage showed a tree pathways-like structure reminiscent of AO's Grid or the Ways in Robert Jordan's books.

Interesting new mission type, next to the Investigation mystery/puzzle missions they spoke about earlier:

Joel Bylos: Actually we have a mission type called Sabotage which we haven’t spoken a lot about yet. These missions share a similar gameplay style to the original Deus Ex game – avoiding security cameras, disabling traps and hacking computers etc. Generally the traps are dynamic only in the sense that players can disable/enable them in the world. This becomes interesting when other players can accidentally trigger an alarm in the camp you are sneaking through! 

Thanks for the posting of this new article link image

I didn't see any notification of a new video in the article though, btw (?)

Hmm, maybe it's time to check up on the official site and forum again.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Joel Bylos: Actually we have a mission type called Sabotage which we haven’t spoken a lot about yet. These missions share a similar gameplay style to the original Deus Ex game – avoiding security cameras, disabling traps and hacking computers etc. Generally the traps are dynamic only in the sense that players can disable/enable them in the world. This becomes extremely aggravating when other players can purposefully trigger an alarm in the camp you are sneaking through! 

I fixed it for them. :D

It's the next-gen version of a train!  <3

More seriously, I do like the different mission type ideas.  You seem to be a huge fan of this game Mr. Maverick, convince them as a dedicated fan that if they were using F2P or B2P, more people would play!  Like me!  I'm curious about it, but dislike renting games. :<

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Heh, yeah, wb to the next-gen of trains, I can already picture the mouthed 'oh sh*' cursing when someone almost makes it to his destination after an excruciating and slow stealth journey towards his destination, and then the alarms go off image

As for B2P, I was actually thinking something sortlike a few days ago: if TSW would have been a singleplayer game, I would still have bought it and it still sounded interesting to me, like a cross between Vampire: the Masquerade Bloodlines and Dreamfall.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

As for B2P, I was actually thinking something sortlike a few days ago: if TSW would have been a singleplayer game, I would still have bought it and it still sounded interesting to me, like a cross between Vampire: the Masquerade Bloodlines and Dreamfall.

If it was a singleplayer game, I'd probably already have it on preorder.

I hate subscriptions because I'm not a huge fan of renting.

I'm already renting an apartment, and basically it just feels like throwing your money down a giant hole. :T

I almost picked up the Disney movie Tangled for 5 bucks (5 bucks!) on XBox Live today, until I found out that was just a 14 day rental, and not buying the movie.

Boo.  :T 

• RightlovRightlov Member Posts: 72

I didn't see any notification of a new video in the article though, btw (?)

That's because it isn't from the article. - instead it comes directly from their twitter; http://twitter.com/funcom :)

• galoarigaloari Member UncommonPosts: 72

Heh, fun quote:

2) I have yet to read much about the size and structure of the world. Will there be mounts or travel powers? Or does the size and the way you travel in the world not warrant them?

Erling Ellingsen: We’re not quite ready to talk about specific transportation options yet. As you know, The Secret World features locations from all across the globe, and creating all the real estate between for instance New York and Seoul would simply be impossible. So we have devised a way for players to travel from location to location relatively quickly, without necessarily compromising immersion. We look forward to revealing more details on this as we go along.

My dragon would look nice on a yamaha and a katana on his back... just saying :P

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Great interview. Harsh penalties would fit this dark and dangerous Secret World imo.