Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking at a new build.

2»

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

It isn't hard to beat the stock cooler by any significant margin, and unless your looking at extreme overclocking, aesthetics, price, size and noise play as much a part in picking out a cooler as anything to be honest.

Sure one may run better, or another be cheaper, but it's all relative, and they are all leaps and bounds better than the stock cooler, which is all that really matters.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Not all aftermarket coolers are better than the stock cooler.  There are some really tiny ones that really aren't any better than the stock cooler.  But if it's got a decent sized heatsink with a fan blowing parallel to the motherboard and a couple of heatpipes on each side, you're pretty much guaranteed that it will be vastly better than the stock cooler that comes with Sandy Bridge processors.  (The stock cooler for Phenom II X4 black edition or Intel Gulftown processors is a different matter.)

• pirateshakepirateshake Member Posts: 43

Originally posted by Quizzical

Spending $80 on the Noctua is cost++, even if it is a nice cooler.  Spending $95 after rebate on the Corsair H70 is even more so.  Note that the Cooler Master V8 is $47 with the combo discount.  The Zalman unit that you link is only $40 after rebate, so that's a different matter.

The reason i mentioned the more expencive is because i read ( or at least thought i read ) he was going to try and over clock to around 4ghz that those imo would be better for over clocking than the v8. But still just my experience i could of gotten a bad mount or something for all i know.

To the OP i hope it works out for you : D Please let us know