Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which version of WoW if they split servers?

ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Following on from another thread, if Blizzard decided to introduce a set of split servers with previous revisions on, which point would you like the game turned back to?

Please include the version (Vanilla, TBC or WOTLK) and also the patch level for that version as well as any introduced features you would like to be added (i.e Vanilla but with L20 mounts etc..) 

Will have a general poll to get us off the ground;

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

Comments

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

There is no Vanilla + lvl 20 mounts version.

I would say I want to play Cataclysm 4.1!

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Aison2Aison2 Member CommonPosts: 624
    can i have wow 2020? cause i already played the older versions

Pi*1337/100 = 42

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Originally posted by fivoroth

Hay seems that both you and Jason_Webb controlling the WoW forums, and what people like

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I liked TBC before they released the Isle of Queldeblablaba...or what ever it was called.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by page

Hay seems that both you and Jason_Webb controlling the WoW forums, and what people like

I don't "control" what people like. This is not possible. A lot of people are nostalgic about the time they started to play this game. E.g. if you started in TBC, you will most likely have fond memories of that time of the game. 

I started playing in Vanilla and I have so many good memories of that time of the game. I was amazed with the game and it was one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had. However, what will a vanilla server give you? It will not create the feeling you had when you started the game. It will not be even close. When I first started I had so many expectations and I didn't know anything about the game. Exploring the world of Warcraft for the first time was truly amazing and I enjoyed every minute of those 10 days played simply levelling up. But you can't bring back time. You will know what the game is about, there is nothing to explore. It is the unknown which keeps us playing, gives us new emotions and experiences. 

Time...timing... these are things which cannot be manipulated. A game builds up a momentum which then suddenly starts to dissipate and you can't bring it back. 

Yesterday is history, tomorow is a mystery, today is a gift. How long will you play a modified server when you know every single thing about the game and you know what the future holds?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Firstly what the hell is that about, i am not trying to control anyone or anything, this is an extension of the thread that you started on split servers and based on the votes so far it sort of makes the point i was getting at about how there would just be no way to please everyone.

Secondly, just a note fivor, what i meant was if people would like to see a sort of hybrid with an older version having some of the later changes nailed onto it then please go wild and mention it here. ;-)

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Cataclysm, easily.

Probably the best expansion I have ever witnessed, love it to bits.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Analyzing the data taken from two polls :

What version of WoW if the servers were split                         Vanilla           30.4 %

Split Realms for diff. play styles, good Idea or bad                 Good Idea     48.3 %

Also take into account that many have already left WoW because of the changes that Blizzard had made in the past few years, and are no longer viewing the WoW Forums, or not often enough to view this these polls.

Obviously I'm on the side of splitting the realms. BUT REGARDLESS OF THAT !.....How can't  you or anyone see that many would welcome options.  With some work on Blizzard's part, could prove more profitable ( bring players back and character transfers ) ?

It would be a win win for everyone.

Obviously I'm on the side of splitting the realms. BUT REGARDLESS OF THAT !.....How can't  you or anyone see that many would welcome options.  With some work on Blizzard's part, could prove more profitable ( bring players back and character transfers ) ?

It would be a win win for everyone.

My argument isn't whether people would or would not like to have options, my argument is that you could not please everyone with limited options and it would be virtually impossible to cover all of the options that various quarters would like to see.

• PurpleCliffPurpleCliff Member UncommonPosts: 156

Personally I've never played WoW all that heavily, but Cataclysm was the most enjoyable experience for me.

• DnomsedDnomsed Member UncommonPosts: 261

Vanilla, with pre-tbc launch honor patch and rated battlegrounds.  No hellatious honor grind, but a chance to earn Grand Marshall and High Warlord by being highest rated in BG's at the end of the season.  Top pve teir would be original Nax.

Warhammer fanatic since '85.

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

Vanilla 100 % for me.Was way more fun but with arenas added +rated bg's.. Also different pvp sets from both arenas and rated bg's.

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

Although I still play WoW a few months  a year I'm not someone thats blind to the game being way past its best . I recently tried leveling through questing for the first time in a couple of years and have found it so dull and easy that it can't offer much challenge for the most novice or inexperianced gamer . In stv you don't even have to return to some of the quest givers anymore on chained quests . I voted for Vanilla simply because the world pvp was a lot of fun back then where as its virtually non existant now . I think the moment for me WoW started to go downhill was around six months after the tbc when Blizzard made leveling faster . I know the games been increasingly aimed at a school age audiance but what strikes me as weird is that many children like to play single player games at harder level difficultys so easy mode leveling cant appeal to them even .I'm currently playing WoW and RIFT but I'm finding I'm spending more and more time in the later which reminds me of Vanilla WoW anyway .

Would love to see servers that offered harder gameplay setting in WoW . ie no xp for bgs , no cross server looking for a group that teleports you an instance , a return to the original speed of leveling and removing the many little streamling "improvements" . If that happened I dont think it would matter too much what version of WoW it was because it would offer some challenge to those of us that want challenging gameplay .

• Amphib_IanAmphib_Ian Member Posts: 170

if i were to go back and play an older version of wow it would be sometime around TBC because vanilla wow simply had a terribad assumption that anyone who could heal must heal. pally could not tank or dps, druid could not tank or dps, shaman could not tank or dps, warrior could only tank not dps, priest could only heal not dps. also we would only be missing worgen (who cares) and goblins and the deathknight.  the mount requirements would be hard for me to go back to but not a huge issue. nostalgia has that thing about it where you remember only what is good and let slip what all have been needed changes that we now take for granted.

I could see introducing servers at old patch dates being a successful venture but i would insist on certain balance changes being mandatory regardless of how much we may or may not have enjoyed the broken content at the time.

I am not surprised that people wanted differing versions, that is sort of how i expected it to run, but i am quite surprised that the vote for Vanilla wasn't higher, i was probably expecting it to poll at 40-50% of the vote overall.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

I voted TBC, and I'd like to have it before they implemented any daily quests and before they increased exp gains. Also, there should be a patch where the transition from Azeroth to Outland were fixed, and by that I mean the item level difference that made 55-59 level dungeons obsolite.

• bobbyjrbobbyjr Member Posts: 119

Originally posted by Dnomsed

Vanilla, with pre-tbc launch honor patch and rated battlegrounds.  No hellatious honor grind, but a chance to earn Grand Marshall and High Warlord by being highest rated in BG's at the end of the season.  Top pve teir would be original Nax.

Season? what?   You mean  having to pvp 24/7 then hope you got the required amount of afk HK's before the next person,a s each rank only allowed a set number of players to hold it.

• NeonShadowNeonShadow Member UncommonPosts: 326

While I have more fond memories of vanilla (being that WoW was new back then and everything was more exciting), I have to say that TBC was the high point of WoW. It had less crap that wasted my time and was more straight to the point while not being a complete snooze fest. Pretty much everything you did in Vanilla was nothing but a drawn out waste of time.

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

Each version of the game had it's highs and lows and I played through most of it but there would be no going back for me. I spent enough time on this game and it's time for me to move on.

On another note I am surprised that I'm seeing what amounts to a "If they released a pre cu version of SWG would you play it" thread on WoW.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

no need server split content or anything like that.... we just need a new expansion better than cataclysm,way more content that what cata brought us, and last but not least make the game difficult to progress.... its kinda easy with cata (tho its only hard for me to pve llvl 84 content with my mage) yeah, mage.... >.> im a casual player... but is freakin easy to go through all content with my enhancement shaman

• antonatsisantonatsis Member Posts: 109

everytime i see a post like this...i get to wonder if the people that write in the foroum are from a top10 world guild or something i mean,NAXX40 raid style PRE-BG honor and stuff like that...either you people are rich and can keep up with that or when vanilla was out you were like 14-15 and can still maintain an asian grind style in a game like wow.i mean who doesnt miss the old good farming and the quest to enter a raid i sure dont miss them :P

lets all go to the fields and start kill undead so we can enter naxx yeaaahhhh!!!!!in my opinion a serious wow player that has 6 years of experience in wow wouldnt last a month on a vanilla server...not because its hard but because the whole consept of MMOs back then was stupid!at least thtas what i think especially after i tried a semi hardcore style of game back when i used to play in tbc cause after wotlk i was a casual...and cataclysm is wow at its best the only problem it has for me is that now i finally understood what destroyed wow for me

flying mounts :P but then again thats just an opinion

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544

Vanilla without Battlegrounds.

Currently Playing Path of Exile

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

Every version of WoW has had its own fair share of issues and shining moments.  At this point I would have to say it just doesnt matter to me anymore. I did my years in the game and enjoyed it but I have no desire to go backwards.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

if EA Mythic had done with DAOC what Blizz did with WoW, DAOC would be competing with WoW right now....... with  that being said, if WoW goes back to vanilla state it will die just like DAOC did for staying behind in content / progression / changes...

so ppl stop asking for vanilla, better ask for future better improvements

Thanks for all the votes and comments, i suppose it sort of shows that there is some demand for the return of the older versions, but looking over the responses as well as the poll it would be impossible to please everyone so although they may well claw back some of the burned out players for a while they would also just succeed in pissing off a whole other group of people too.

Cheers all.