Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: The Slippery Slope of Stereotyping

2»

Comments

• dracualdracual Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by astoria

I'm a successful attorney, singer in a band and covered in tattoos. I am a white male - but my wife is neither white nor male and she games a little with me. You never know now who is an avid gamer. Was in an airport waiting on a delayed flight a few weeks ago (for work, in a full suit & tie) and this guy must have been 60 and looked over at me playing Age of Conan, asked "where are you?" and I said "sorry?" and he said "what zone?" I told him "field of the dead" and a minute later his avatar walked up and waved. We farmed leather until our plane came.

a similar thing happened to me but it was on a game called knight Online. I was at the greyhound station sitting on my laptop soling golems when i noticed a character run up beside me and drop a few novas slaughtering the spawn. i got a pm saying "Look behind you" there was a girl about 24-25 sitting on her laptop and waving at me... we've been friends for 3 years now...

• ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431

The people offended by stereotypes are the one giving them power. If everyone stopped being so prideful and egotistical we could laugh at how funny stereotypes are and no one would be offended.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Originally posted by Arcken

The people offended by stereotypes are the one giving them power. If everyone stopped being so prideful and egotistical we could laugh at how funny stereotypes are and no one would be offended.

I don't often agree with you, but this is pure truth. The people that react are the fuel for the fire.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• NajwalaylahNajwalaylah Member UncommonPosts: 85

Originally posted by Erstok

Sterotypes are the unwritten rule of life. Everyone sterotypes. Why argue or debate something that is just apart of everyones way of life.

This argument above is just an example of the Naturalistic Fallacy.

Sometimes, higher functioning as a human being requires the questioning of those unwritten, "universal" rules, no matter how hopeless it may seem to some at the time.

Casilda Tametomo, Priestess of Soldeus | AKA Lepida Aegis-Imperium.com

«Si oblitus fuero usque ad finem omnia opera eorum»

Originally posted by Cecropia

I don't often agree with you, but this is pure truth. The people that react are the fuel for the fire.

You're assuming that the only response to a stereotype is to be offended at the lies they contain.

The worst response, and the most common one, is to believe them. Those who believe them unquestioningly are the ones lighting the fires fueled by the bodies of others. I wish that were a fanciful metaphor, about the bodies, but some times it has been absolute truth.

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

I look at stereo-types as usefull when you need to make decision based on limited information.

The problem comes in when you assume that the stereo-type must be correct for any individual case or when you refuse to abandon the stereo-type in a case where you have sufficient information that refutes it.

• kalistrikekalistrike Member Posts: 2

one of the things i've noticed is this....while these are "social" games there are a HUGE number of players that help foster these stereotypes floating around. So while i'm sure i'll get shot down for saying this...i feel more people need to remember we're playing a game, and to actually get out of their damned houses and ACTUALLY socialize rather than continually feed into the stereotypes by acting exactly as the type implies.

I could easily site case after case in game after game of people who have helped create these fun titles, and in my opinion the real solution to the issue is for people to STOP playing like the game is RL and play a game to have fun

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Well, while a lot more women play this game today, the stereotype that alot of female avatars are played by males is still a solid one.  Less so than in the past, but still quite common.

• DrSpankyDrSpanky Member Posts: 341

Originally posted by Najwalaylah

Originally posted by Cecropia

You're assuming that the only response to a stereotype is to be offended at the lies they contain.

The worst response, and the most common one, is to believe them. Those who believe them unquestioningly are the ones lighting the fires fueled by the bodies of others. I wish that were a fanciful metaphor, about the bodies, but some times it has been absolute truth.

Yes, but how many here believe stereotypes "unqestioningly?" And if you do, then yes, you are giving them power wich would lead to your burning bodies.

It's a proven historical fact that beer saved humankind.

Originally posted by DrSpanky

Yes, but how many here believe stereotypes "unquestioningly?" And if you do, then yes, you are giving them power wich would lead to your burning bodies.

That's a really good question of its own. Those who do not question the stereotypes they believe often mistake them for "common sense", fact, or even gospel, and thus are unlikely to talk about them objectively.