Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sony’s MMO Makers Close Three Studios, Lay Off One-Third of Workforce

Comments

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

I've wondered if SWG would really stay up when SWTOR comes out. So I won't be surprised if this is an indication that SWG might shut down soon.

• Harbinger1975Harbinger1975 Member UncommonPosts: 244

They may pull what they did with NGE.  Not tell anyone and just shut it down saying: Sorry, game is no longer supported.  All servers are shut down.  Thanks for your money..err...patronage.

• GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523

Thank God, SOE has ruined everything they have ever touched. What they did to Vanguard made me hate them the most.

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
    -Narcissism: check.

• cheebacheeba Member UncommonPosts: 196

Its all a rumor at this point, but if true would effect these games.  SWG and Planetside are run on skelton crews and doubt they go anywhere.  Vanguard shares EQ2 devs and doubt it goes anywhere.  They make money and cost nothing in development...

Seattle =  The Agency

Denver = The Card Games

Tucson = PoxNora

Until I see something official I cant believe Seattle will be closed.  A downsize is probably in order from there 115+ The Agency team.  They had plans to scale back to a 55 member team eventually.

---------------
    Tested over a 115+ games since 1997.

Currently Playing:

Played(Retired): AOL NWN(91-95), UO, EQ1/2, DAoC, CoX, Lineage1/2, SWG(Pre CU/NGE), Planetside, Anarchy Online, FFXI, AC, Vanguard, D&D, AoC, DCUO, Rift, Eve, others

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Originally posted by GPrestige

Thank God, SOE has ruined everything they have ever touched. What they did to Vanguard made me hate them the most.

What they did to Vanguard? You mean make it playable?

Sure, there's not enough of a playerbase to warrant much in the way of updating, but the game is miles ahead of were it was under Sigil.

If anything, blame the shitty development from Sigil that brought forth such a terrible quality MMO that needed to be taken by a dev team who at least knew how to put one together, even if they don't do well at running them.  Sigil's unfinished product is what turned so many people away and doomed that game.

• cheebacheeba Member UncommonPosts: 196

Originally posted by Gajari

Originally posted by GPrestige

What they did to Vanguard? You mean make it playable?

Sure, there's not enough of a playerbase to warrant much in the way of updating, but the game is miles ahead of were it was under Sigil.

If anything, blame the shitty development from Sigil that brought forth such a terrible quality MMO that needed to be taken by a dev team who at least knew how to put one together, even if they don't do well at running them.  Sigil's unfinished product is what turned so many people away and doomed that game.

So true.  

SOE saved it and made it into a good game.  Just reactivated my station access.  Playing SWG and Vanguard mostly.  With a side of Planetside here and there.  Good times.

---------------
    Tested over a 115+ games since 1997.

Currently Playing:

Played(Retired): AOL NWN(91-95), UO, EQ1/2, DAoC, CoX, Lineage1/2, SWG(Pre CU/NGE), Planetside, Anarchy Online, FFXI, AC, Vanguard, D&D, AoC, DCUO, Rift, Eve, others

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

No need to worry. SOE can't afford to close SWG down. No other game or license gives Smed the credibility like Star Wars does. SWG needs to be on the list for Station Pass too.

• Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568

Originally posted by TUX426

No need to worry. SOE can't afford to close SWG down. No other game or license gives Smed the credibility like Star Wars does. SWG needs to be on the list for Station Pass too.

LA might have some input about this after the launch of TOR, tho.  SWG is different than any other SOE game.  They have to pay for the use of the IP and I doubt that LA will "forgive" IP payments forever.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by Esquire1980

LA might have some input about this after the launch of TOR, tho.  SWG is different than any other SOE game.  They have to pay for the use of the IP and I doubt that LA will "forgive" IP payments forever.

Nah. SWTOR isn't aiming for SWG's players and LA doesn't give a crap about SWG...hell, they signed off of pink flying ewoks. Anything they do get off of SWG is minimal at best already. There's no way SWG is shutting down...(yet)

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410

Originally posted by Esquire1980

Nah. SWTOR isn't aiming for SWG's players and LA doesn't give a crap about SWG...hell, they signed off of pink flying ewoks. Anything they do get off of SWG is minimal at best already. There's no way SWG is shutting down...(yet)

TUX is right SWG isnt even on thier radar, SOE probably threatened to sue LA in 2007, so both sides have agreed to let SWG die a slow death.     Parent company's, Sony is in big trouble, they have a few products that are keeping it alive, but these days you cant sell TV's for 1500$ when Sanyo and others can sell them for 900$.     LA is a bigger mess than SOE, my bets are LA folds this year or next.    Lucas is more than likely going to get rid of Lucas Arts soon, most of his Star Wars games are outsourced.     

• metalazometalazo Member Posts: 39

Originally posted by BullseyeArc1   Lucas is more than likely going to get rid of Lucas Arts soon, most of his Star Wars games are outsourced.     

I doubt Lucas will get rid of Lucasarts, especially whilst there is a viable market for videogames. Last year Lucasarts restructed stating that no 3rd party will develop any more LA games, from now on (last year), and Bioware was the last.