Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Rumor: SOE Layoffs & Studio Closings

2»

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Originally posted by misles

As I posted in another thread:

Maybe I can help shed some light on the subject in terms of corporate thinking. 

Now I'm not calling anyone stupid, but I did get a first hand look at how they handle things.  I was like these poor guys that got laid off.  I worked in manufacturing for eight years close to nine in pharmacuticals.  The higher ups were telling their investors: "Yes, we can absolutely do it in this time frame.  You have my word on it."

As an operator (technician), I looked at the higher up and went: "Wait, what?  There's no way we can do it in that time frame.  Not with what you gave us to work with."  And other operators told the higher ups the same thing.  if we rushed our projects just to meet their time frame, which always meant money in their pockets, the project would be ruined.

Regardless, they told us to get it done and in THEIR time frame.

We did.  And what we warned them about happened.  We lost alot of product because of the rushed and "floor chemistry" that was done.  What happened?  There was a blood letting where I worked.  The higher ups didn't take the blame for THIER inability to tell the truth to the investor.  So someone had to be punished.  And it was us.  I was one of those people.

This is the mindset of the corporate world.  I feel very bad for those that lost their jobs.  It was wrong.  The best people who do the hardest work are the ones to always be let go.  They are the ones blamed.  You will never see those with money take the hit.

While i totally agree with what you said above.

I must say that in high-tech. I have seen project managers being fired left and right.

They are first to take the blame.

Than its cutting all extra force from dirty work people.

But the high ups always remain.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311

Official post on the DC forum.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Shuttered The Agency... who called it?

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

Originally posted by TwwIX

I still can't forgive myself for wasting money on DCUO. I should have known better after SWG. Shame on me.

Get rid of John Smedley, already!

I agree, SOE was obviously banking on DCUO being a long term hit instead of a 1 month wonder.

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

Well there is some good news to come from this.

http://www.planetside-universe.com/news-planetside-next-team-expanding-2462.htm

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Agency discontinued?  Should have just fired Smedley and used his paycheck to coninue funding.  What a bunch of idiots SOE is.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Sucks for the employees, but I don't have any sympathy for SOE on a whole.

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

So those poor saps playing SWG get their devs taken away now? Smed could fund all his teams if he would say he's sorry and start SWG from publish 13 and do nothing but content and bug fix.

oh and to the guy above me....Ouch man!

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453

No sympathy here. As long as they keep morons in the front office making poor decisions and screwing over their customers this trend will continue.

• ArEfArEf Member Posts: 233

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Quoted for those who don't want to go to the SOE site:

To Heroes and Villains alike,

We wanted to share this information with you all in our forums, rather than sending you to read about it on another site. The DCUO player base has been very supportive and engaged from Beta right through launch. Metropolis and Gotham City have come alive with your stories and shared experiences and we look forward to a long future together with all of you. We want to reassure you that DCUO will continue with full support and development, including the largest Live team we have for any project at SOE. You can look forward to a Producer’s Letter next week outlining what lies ahead for the game’s development in 2011.

For those who wish to comment, please use THIS thread. It will remain unlocked as long as conversation remains constructive and polite. Our CMs and Mods have been asked to redirect all other related posts to this one as well.

~Linda “Brasse” Carlson

Director, Global Community Relations, SOE

Following is the official notice that you may see on other sites:

As part of a strategic decision to reduce costs and streamline its global workforce, SOE announced today that it will eliminate 205 positions and close its Denver, Seattle and Tucson studios.  As part of this restructuring, SOE is discontinuing production of The Agency so it can focus development resources on delivering two new MMOs based on its renowned PlanetSide and EverQuest properties, while also maintaining its current portfolio of online games.  All possible steps are being taken to ensure team members affected by the transition are treated with appropriate concern. 

This strategic decision will have no impact on SOE’s current portfolio of live games; additionally SOE will transition development efforts for the Denver and Tucson studios’ suite of products to its San Diego headquarters.  This strategic alignment of development resources better positions SOE to remain a global leader in online gaming and deliver on its promise of creating entertaining games for players of all ages, and servicing the 20 million players that visited SOE servers in just the past year.

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

<snip>

Nah, this is completely different. They're firing long-term employees working on projects that should still be running and getting updated. MMO development isn't like normal game development. You don't fire people who've been working on the project and who are working on updating it since they're used to the code and know how to troubleshoot and work out where the bugs are.

Firing 33% of your company is a very dangerous move in this kind of game.

Maybe if SOE had tried to have some forethought or, you know, put a little bit of love into their games instead of the current "We do what we like regardless of what the customer thinks", then this might not have happened.

It's sad that the competent guys get to carry the burden again, but I can't say it's a bad thing for the industry.

Add me on Steam!

RawrfulCast - My YouTube Channel
    Me and a Friend are Bad At Games :(
  • kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

Aw crap, even less chance now of Vanguard getting some dev love !!

<----------Insert sad smiley here

As for ditching the Agency?  I think they knew it wouldn't cut the mustard so to speak, so used this as an excuse.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by Wolfhammer

Aw crap, even less chance now of Vanguard getting some dev love !!

<----------Insert sad smiley here

As for ditching the Agency?  I think they knew it wouldn't cut the mustard so to speak, so used this as an excuse.

I would not be surprised to hear that SOE is building planetside off the programming done in The Agency.  This is just wild speculation on my part, but The Agency did go into media black out again right around the time soe started talking about planetside.  At the core the agency was just a shooter with some story and quests thrown in.