Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

mouse, controllers, and release dates

lectrocudalectrocuda Member Posts: 604

Well, almost time for work, AGAIN, and my mind cant help but indulge in the hour or two I get to spend exploring the various fantasy worlds of mmos.

TERA looks like a much needed break from the WOW-esque type gameplay that has begun to dominate open world mmos.    I for one have started playing LOTRO again, and it is fun, but the same.

While I wait for the game that may be a place holder for GW2, I wonder if this will be one mmo worth playing on a controller. Another thought I have is, will they relese it SOON. I mean an easy analysis of the market should tell them that ultimately in NA they are being viewed as a placeholder for GW2.  I mean, that is simply based off of hype, but nonetheless it would seem as a reality.

Short of pyromaniacal trolls, what do you guys think?

To the caterpillar it is the end of the world, to the master, it is a butterfly.

Comments

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,994

i hear a lot about games being PH for gw2 but the way i look at it is that gw2, being no subscription, is the kind of game that people play alongside a sub based mmo.  I know i'm planning on buying it but not on unsubbing to eve or rift (or whatever game i am playing.)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

For aiming purposes i always find a controller is lacking in favor of a mouse.

A mouse tends to have far more precise aiming ability then a controller.

A controller has a circle enviroment but you still need to go from the left to center to right when trying to aim and when you want to stop the arrow the pad has to pull back to the center which makes stopping on a dime harder, not to mention for some reason it's never as precise on a controller.

As for the game itself? i dont think any game should be a place holder for a game your waiting for.  I buy each game on it's own merits, not if it will waste time until another game i'm waiting for to come out.  But thats just me i suppose.

In the end (not the song) if you're interested in the game i'd say stick with the mouse, far better for aiming in my opinion.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• bygeorgebygeorge Member UncommonPosts: 104

Korean Open Beta Controller Impressions: http://www.tera-online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13932

The game will most likely not be released in NA/EU until fall this year.

• IngeKyIngeKy Member Posts: 47

Originally posted by itchmon

i hear a lot about games being PH for gw2 but the way i look at it is that gw2, being no subscription, is the kind of game that people play alongside a sub based mmo.  I know i'm planning on buying it but not on unsubbing to eve or rift (or whatever game i am playing.)

I lol'd. False. Guild Wars 2 is the only MMORPG that's making a change to the genre. Most people won't be playing anything else, thus dedicating their time to this MMO. Yes, it will be that addictive. Just because it's sub-free is irrelevant. Of course the closed-minded "I MUST PAY A SUB TO GET A GOOD QUALITY GAME" gamers will talk their talk until this releases and shuts them up, but who knows when that will be.

Anyway, this thread isn't really about Guild Wars 2, so lets move on shall we?

Seeing how TERA was made to be played with a controller (I think I've seen someone using a 360 controller) as well as keyboard/mouse I don't see why it would be a bad idea. It might take some getting used to, but its based on personal preference. Kind of like whether you should buy DCUO for PC or PS3, people settle in their niche.

I'm hoping this game will make a good placeholder, myself. :)

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

I think a controller will be fine with a melee class but with a range class I would go with a KB & M.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...